The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Was Diana the most famous woman of the 20th century?
Yes 139 49.47%
No 142 50.53%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

IMO there isn't the most beautiful woman of the 20th century. All women famous or normal are beautiful. Its unfair to say that Marilyn, Diana or even Audrey are the most beautiful.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

For me the most beautiful and famous women of the 20th century were Princess Grace and Princess Diana.
They were two fairy tale´s princesses,pretty,elegant,glamorous,charismatic,good persons,two icons of fashion,who both impressed the world by their beauty,and personality,and both died young tragically in car accident.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think she was the most beautiful woman of the 20th century. She was just the most famous.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think, Diana was the most famous woman of her time, the 80ies and 90ies. For the whole century I rather think it was HM Queen Elizabeth II. Because I really think that since her coronation nearly every child in the world knows her image at least.

And beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
I think, Diana was the most famous woman of her time, the 80ies and 90ies. For the whole century I rather think it was HM Queen Elizabeth II. Because I really think that since her coronation nearly every child in the world knows her image at least.
Dierna23 you bring up a good point about Queen Elizabeth II. I am an older person and have lived through the 1950's-on. The Queen is a wonderful, dedicated royal and since her speech at coronation which she devoted her life to her subjects she is in the heart of her subjects. But, there was something very special about Diana, Princess of Wales short, tragic, very publicized private life. She was someone so written about that you felt that you knew her and that she was just like you-warts an all. I have many books on Diana. I think Diana evolved right before our eyes and overshadow the rest of the royals houses in her lifetime and 10 years after her death. I don't know any other royal in death had so much staying power.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Aristocracy

A yes/no poll. How moronic. Do we have to bring everything down to marketing and media tricks? Which breakfast cereal do you like, wheat based or corn base, yes or no.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

As it was a YES or NO poll, I voted Yes. I love Diana but I don´t think she was the most famous woman of the 2oth century. However she´d be in the top 10 for sure. Her impact on people of all ages, nationalities and backgrounds was immense and her death was felt very deeply in my country - the only other foreigner who was so missed here was JFK.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Courtier

Yes, and because her features were unique and original, not unlike Audrey Hepburn's looks were.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't think her looks were original.
I don't think she was the most beautiful, possible the most famous.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Gentry

Some people get really passionate on here haha.

you can only have a personal opinion/taste. So, to me, Diana was the most beautiful and famous woman of the 20th century.

Diana is the only one who was the most famous and who also had inedible substance. Diana had: beauty, grace, intellect, charisma and amazing openness that made people care about her. I can't think of a famous woman today who has all of those qualities. Sometimes beauty isn't about who has the most symmetrical face (Grace,Marilyn), but inside beauty, presence and charm really shine and win the contest in the end.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 AM

There is a big difference between fame, beauty, talent, etc. The poll asks is she the most FAMOUS, there are others more talented or beautiful...but she is probably the most famous yes. Only the Queen and M. Monroe are 20th century women as well known through-out the world. I read an article once about trying to figure out who the most famous woman ever was, if I recall Mary (Jesus's mom) was 1st, but Diana was in the top five.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't think she was the most beautiful, possible the most famous.
Quite right
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

My answer is no. She might have been the most famous person during the 90's, but definitely NOT of the whole century. The most beautiful woman, where did that come from?!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that perhaps Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was the most famous woman of the 20th century. She became Queen Consort in 1936 and was in the public eye until her death. And even before she was Queen, she was famous for being Princess Elizabeth's mother. Her child was famous since she was a very small girl. Perhaps the current Queen has been the most famous woman of the 20th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
My answer is no. She might have been the most famous person during the 90's, but definitely NOT of the whole century. The most beautiful woman, where did that come from?!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

And Diana became famous because she was the daughter-in-law of the Queen.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

She was by far NOT the most beautiful. And we can not say that she was the most famous!! She was the most famous of the last 30 years yes, but from the century, NO.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I still stand by what i said earlier there are plenty of beautiful women who were alive in the 20th century that did not have the fame Diana, Greta, etc had. Now as for the most famous I think that goes to Marilyn Monroe. IMO Princess Diana was the most famous woman by the end of the 20th century from the 1980s to the 2000s.

I don't think The Queen Mother was the most famous woman of the 20th century at all.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Royal Highness

I have thought about this and now I think the answer to this question "who was the most beautiful or famous woman of the 20th century" will be different for each person. A person will pick a woman that conveys their view on beauty and fame. With so many woman to chose from each decade of the 20th Century it would be impossible to decide for me. Diana, Princess of Wales in my opinion would be high up on this list, but to have one woman to stand out on the top of the list for everyone I think it would be impossible.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Commoner

I think it was princess grace
Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

So true, yes. Had it not been for Prince Charles' interest in her in the summer of 1980, we'd have never heard of Diana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
And Diana became famous because she was the daughter-in-law of the Queen.

Tags
celebrity, diana princess of wales, princess diana