The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
William getting engaged would be announced as soon as it happens.
Actually, I think it's fairly common for royal engagements to be kept private for a varying length of time before the public announcement is made. Prince Philip reportedly asked for The Queen's hand almost a year before they were formally and publicly engaged.

I don't know that the two are privately engaged, but as I've said before, any couple who have been together as long as these two are bound to have had conversations about the future -- especially with William's unusual personal circumstances.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Courtier

This was just my thoughts, and I respect yours, Iumutqueen. I don't believe that if at this point they are engaged where a ring has been given, but I do believe they have some kind of agreement or knowing between the two of them of future plans. I have no proof or fact of this it is just IMO, Also I am surprised that you think they were closer in 2007 then now. It seems to me in the last year they have become (while more privite) a more mature couple not seeking attention and clubing,more seirous, with more Royal Family interaction on Kate's part.

Not only was the Queen's kept for nearly a year, Diana's was keep for nearly a month or so before it was announced!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Commoner

Maybe they're already married. Maybe William is already King. Maybe Princess Diana's death was a hoax and she's living in Scotland under tight supervision.

Just kidding. I was trying to think up some new story for the Daily Mail. It'd be amusing!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Actually, I think it's fairly common for royal engagements to be kept private for a varying length of time before the public announcement is made. Prince Philip reportedly asked for The Queen's hand almost a year before they were formally and publicly engaged.
I think that was because King George was concerned that his daughter was still very young, something that I don't think is relevant to Wills and Kate.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Gentry

Well, its a lost cause, all patience has been used up. Its time to assume its a done deal and move to stage 2, and a little bit of creative visualisation goes a long way to make manifest all that we know is coming anyway. Soooo.... it's a slow day, so I have decided to plunge miles ahead and plan the dress.... why not !!!! So what do we think...... meringue or sleek and straight down... I suppose the higher up the royal seniority ranks the bigger the train, so not wise to walk within 50 yards behind this bride ! I am thinking Champagne rather than white... white is too draining and soooo yesterday. Memories of Fergie's embroidered A and S sweeping the train attack the mind with savage clarity. It simply won't do. I can't see the rotating blades of helicopters making for a pleasing feature at all in this case either, so thought will certainly have to be given to the symbology here. Long or three quarter length sleeves most definitely...One must not bare the arms at all costs !. Well darlings I take my leave of you as I feel a creative burst coming upon me and the sketch pad awaits, and I have not even started on the veil yet. !!!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Nobility

Miss Garnet thanks for reminding me of Fergie's initialed wedding dress It was the tackiest thing I ever saw.

I hope Kate wears a nice dress and hat, that's all.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaSophia View Post
Maybe they're already married. Maybe William is already King. Maybe Princess Diana's death was a hoax and she's living in Scotland under tight supervision.

Just kidding. I was trying to think up some new story for the Daily Mail. It'd be amusing!

Very Funny........Ha ha
Old 11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Aristocracy

I hope it is 2010. I don't understand the British election thing. Here in America it wouldn't matter. And I certainly don't understand this lifetime dating status. I would hope that as long as they have dated they have talked about their future. But I would love the pomp and pagentry of a royal wedding.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
I hope it is 2010. I don't understand the British election thing. Here in America it wouldn't matter. And I certainly don't understand this lifetime dating status. I would hope that as long as they have dated they have talked about their future. But I would love the pomp and pagentry of a royal wedding.

Because the Royals are supposed to be above politics they can do nothing during an election that would overshadow the election campaign or be seen to be taking anything away from that campaign.

It is also why they won't visit countries of which the Queen is Queen during an election year so William's visit here next year means that Mr Rudd (our PM) won't be calling an early election within the next couple of months (his term still has 18 months to run but there is the possibility of going early if he wishes).

Let's not forget what would be expected of William and Kate once married - full time royal duties together and singly AND a child within a short period of time. Until they are both ready to assume both these responsiblities they won't marry as that ends Kate's private life and overwhelmingly puts the pressure on Kate to step up to the mark. As things are now they can do almost everything a married couple can do without that pressure.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy

excellent points, Iluvbertie!

It's the public that's hungry for some royal news. Since Diana died, the public has not had a princess to swoon over / critic / gossip about.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

America doesn't have a monarchy, though. A wiley politian could use a royal wedding in a political way.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for all the answers. I understand how a royal wedding could take away from, or overshadow an election. I also can see how a wile politician could use anything to his/her advantage. But I sure would like to see a royal wedding. I love the pomp and ceremony of all royal weddings.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
I think that was because King George was concerned that his daughter was still very young, something that I don't think is relevant to Wills and Kate.
Right; I'm not trying to equate the two specific situations, though. I'm just pointing out that it wouldn't be unheard of for a royal couple to become engaged and not announce it to the public immediately.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd love to see another royal wedding, too.

Quote:
Thanks for all the answers. I understand how a royal wedding could take away from, or overshadow an election. I also can see how a wile politician could use anything to his/her advantage. But I sure would like to see a royal wedding. I love the pomp and ceremony of all royal weddings.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Why, Mermaid, I'm also waiting for it since a looong time! And it will be nice to see a new Royal wedding.

I'm a hopeless romantic person!

Vanesa.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Quite right. The royal family typically tries to be low key in the run up to an election.

The one recent exception to this unwritten role was the wedding of the PoW and Camilla in April 2005, just weeks before a general election in May 2005. That said, controversial as the wedding may have been, it was certainly very low key.

In this case, my sense is that if they are planning a wedding for 2010, it may be announced shortly after the elections (say May 2010) and the wedding takes place in late Aug or early Sep of the year. If they miss this window, they may aim to announce in Jan / Feb of 2011 and have the wedding in June - Aug of the year.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite right. The royal family typically tries to be low key in the run up to an election.

The one recent exception to this unwritten role was the wedding of the PoW and Camilla in April 2005, just weeks before a general election in May 2005. That said, controversial as the wedding may have been, it was certainly very low key.

In this case, my sense is that if they are planning a wedding for 2010, it may be announced shortly after the elections (say May 2010) and the wedding takes place in late Aug or early Sep of the year. If they miss this window, they may aim to announce in Jan / Feb of 2011 and have the wedding in June - Aug of the year.
June 10th 2011 is of course Philip's 90th birthday.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
June 10th 2011 is of course Philip's 90th birthday.
Sure, but that is unlikely to affect the wedding schedule, IMO.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Aristocracy

I would think there would be a desire to have a baby for the queen's diamond jubilee.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Carriage before Horse Carriage before Horse Paco!

Let's get them married before we start talking about babies!

Closed Thread