The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
If they were getting married next june, surely an engagement announcement would have been made by now?
Thats precisly the point. I would be surprised if any announcement of an engagement were made before the elections.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Courtier

why? would it affect the elections...or do you mean overshadow them?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
why? would it affect the elections...or do you mean overshadow them?

Not only overshadow but could be interpreted/used as royal support for the government.

As the royals, particularly the Queen are supposed to be politically neutral they never schedule major public events during elections so as not to be drawn into the political arguments.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Courtier

I do think that if William and Kate were ready to announce their engagement, there would be no substantial obstacles on their way. The elections, Olympics, the anniversaries within the Royal family – those are not obstacles but merely excuses the press tries to give because they’ve been proved wrong in their predictions of ‘impeding engagement’ for nearly 4 years now.

Of course, William and Kate may be waiting till 2012, to see whether the end of the world comes - as per those who interpret (or rather, misinterpret) the Mayan calendar (what’s the point of wasting taxpayers’ money if we are all going to go with a bang in merely 2-3 years time?), or they may not be ready to commit themselves yet. They are only 28: that’s not young enough to marry but hardly old enough to worry about ‘being late’.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Marsel...I agree.

If you are going to get married you are going to get married and if you can't find the time to get married...well...then you don't need to get married.

Again, I am with thinking that William is not quite ready to get marrried and when he does, I am not sure Kate will be the one. I have a feeling that they will mutually date for years, break up and then he marries the next girl after dating for like six to nine months!

But I could be wrong.....its happened before.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I agree with you, Zonk. I have a very similar feeling about the whole situation at the moment as you have. But its only a feeling of course. Sometimes I think, yes, it really seems that its getting more and more serious. But for us watchters the whole relationship or whatever we will call it, stagnates for years.

I really ask myself if there are any arrangements in the background... Of course we will never know about, but I really think William and Kate have an arrangement. After so many years they must have been talking about their future.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Administrator

I think they have talked about their future and of course, we are not privy to anything.

They have dated for a while and I expect they both think that they will marry. But strangers things have been known to happen. One day, Kate can wake up and say you know.....I thought he was for me but he isn't or vice versa.

If they are meant to be together than they will plan a wedding and things like Jubliees, Olympics, elections wont matter. And by saying that I am saying that it won't be an issue to schedule such an event. None of this well they can't get married in 2019 because of a solar eclipse. If its going to happen its going to happen.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

The elections are not an excuse as they have to make sure that there is not way the wedding could be used as an election issue.

The royals do NOT schedule weddings etc during election years, or at least until after the election has happened, to avoid anything to do with the royals being used by either party as an election issue.

To announce an engagement now with a wedding next year, during the election campaign, would see the cost of the entire royal family be an election issue and that won't be allowed to happen.

As they can't stop the election from happening next year, although it could be called earlier, they can plan to announce their engagement after the election.

The reason for not clashing with the Diamond Jubilee is that the wedding of William (Diana's son) to a young woman (to be the 'new Diana - unfortunately for her) would overshadow the celebrations for an elderly lady, despite her service to the public.

The Olympics are so far over budget now that the people would be possibly angered at further expense that year with the Diamond Jubilee as well.

I see William marrying in 2011 or not until after the Olympics in order to avoid being used as a political football either during an election or in the media with cries of cost.

It must be remember that these are State Occasions with foreign Heads of State coming so politics and cost and impression do matter.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

They have dated for a while and I expect they both think that they will marry. But strangers things have been known to happen. One day, Kate can wake up and say you know.....I thought he was for me but he isn't or vice versa.

If they are meant to be together than they will plan a wedding and things like Jubliees, Olympics, elections wont matter. And by saying that I am saying that it won't be an issue to schedule such an event. None of this well they can't get married in 2019 because of a solar eclipse. If its going to happen its going to happen.
Hopefully that won't happen after Wills and Kate get married.

Why would a solar eclipse factor into a wedding date?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Well, honestly I can't image Kate waiting around until 2011. That's a little too long too be in a holding pattern but I guess if Daniel can do it in Sweden...then Kate can do it in England.

Actually, if they are not married by mid 2010, I don't see it happening.

Sonjapearl...in reference to the solar eclipse...I was being smarty pants. They can't get married because of this and that. The Jubliee, the Olympics, the elections, the solar eclipse, etc. Honestly, its always going to be something.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Aristocracy

I don't understand how an election would stop a royal wedding. How would that pull the royal family into the election.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I think it's more that the wedding itself could be made into a political talking point rather than getting the royal family itself involved in politics. A big royal wedding will be paid for at least in part by taxpayer money -- that in and of itself could politicize the event.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus

They could probably announce a late summer/early fall 2010 wedding after the election if they really wanted to. If the general election is held to coincide with the local and European elections on 6 May, there could be a three week or so time to let the government's news cycle die down, and then an engagement could be announced in late May for a late August wedding (it's a short engagement, but not drastically so) that could coincide with the bank holiday in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
I don't understand how an election would stop a royal wedding. How would that pull the royal family into the election.

Either or both sides could use the cost of the wedding as an election issue.

There is also the issue of William being 2nd in line to the throne meaning that it is a State Occasions so Heads of State would be invited and therefore the current PM could use their visits to have his photo taken to show that he is in with these other powerful people. The Leader of the Opposition could simply argue that the PM is taking over the wedding for his own purposes.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

The only problem I can see with that scheduling is that the late August bank holiday often also coincides with the anniversary of Diana's death. I'd imagine William might want to avoid that.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
The only problem I can see with that scheduling is that the late August bank holiday often also coincides with the anniversary of Diana's death. I'd imagine William might want to avoid that.
Fair point, though the wedding does not have to take place on 31 August itself. They could marry on Sat, 28 August 2010 which is on the bank holiday weekend.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Fair point, though the wedding does not have to take place on 31 August itself. They could marry on Sat, 28 August 2010 which is on the bank holiday weekend.

August is Balmoral month so I doubt if the Queen would want a wedding in August as it would mean not having her regular Scottish break.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

This is rather pointless trying to come up with an "acceptable date."

So perhaps we should move on.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

I see the stories saying that she would be spending time with the Queen at Balmoral this year came to nothing.Honestly, the newspaper editors must literally sit down and make these stories up.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Majesty

I think that the Queen stays at Balmoral until the end of September or so. If Kate had met with the Queen, we might not find out about it anyway until later.

Closed Thread