Who Would You Choose - William or Harry?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back when this thread was started in 2003, both William and Harry were much younger, single and had all their hair. They also were 20 and 18 at the time and serious heartthrobs for the masses of adoring girls out there.

I'd have to say that William strikes me as having a more serious nature and is more introverted like his father at times. He seems to have the mannerisms that will serve him well as a king. The first word that comes to mind about Harry is that he is impish. Always ready to jump in and have a good time and is very open and expresses what he is feeling easily. He has a zest for life that is going to be an asset for him wherever he goes.

I think Harry has gotten a lot better looking with age whereas William increasingly looks more and more like a Windsor every day.

I'd choose Harry, but I'd wait to see who'll be his wife.

I think Harry has gotten a lot better looking with age whereas William increasingly looks more and more like a Windsor every day.
I agree that Will's good looks have faded, the loss of hair and he's put on a bit of weight. but Harry hasn't improved. H e's still plain.
He does have a lilvey personality which is endearing, but I'm sick of the endless romance stories, and I have gone off him now that hes left the army.
WIlliam has something of Charles' seriousness but not IMO C's brains or hard work ethic. Not that he's totally lazy but he's not IMO that fond of work, and he isn't very charismatic...

Honestly neither. Maybe it's because they are younger than me, William only by a year but still. Even when he was single. I have always liked a more mature man, both in age and looks.

Personality wise I'd choose Harry. William is a bit boring and serious for me. Gives me the middle aged farmer vibe. Harry seems more spirited, sense of humor.

Honestly if he was single, and I had to marry a Windsor I would choose the Earl of Ulster. More mature looks. And while I'd get to attend royal events, we'd be private citizens and I could continue working. Even as a kid I never had the whole princess fantasy. Other then being belle and getting a library.

Last edited:
Please note that an off topic post (and the subsequent replies) has been deleted.

Honestly neither. Maybe it's because they are younger than me, William only by a year but still. Even when he was single. I have always liked a more mature man, both in age and looks.

Personality wise I'd choose Harry. William is a bit boring and serious for me. Gives me the middle aged farmer vibe. Harry seems more spirited, sense of humor.

Honestly if he was single, and I had to marry a Windsor I would choose the Earl of Ulster. More mature looks. And while I'd get to attend royal events, we'd be private citizens and I could continue working. Even as a kid I never had the whole princess fantasy. Other then being belle and getting a library.

We must be around the same age Countessmeout :flowers: OMG - yes on the Earl of Ulster and "getting a library" part too!

If I had to chose - I'd go with William. Although he is stubborn, I suspect William has a wicked and very sarcastic humorous side. Harry seems like he has a high-fun need and I cannot handle someone like that.

William. I think Harry in many respects got the short end of the stick. This younger generation is the first time in royal history in which being royal bumps against being one of us, being normal, every day people. There is a reason for them and us. It may work for other royal families, but I am not so sure here. I do not pretend to know or understand why they make the choices they make, but I firmly believe this will not end well. We all have a right to our views, and simply because they do not match the "popular" ones, we still have a right to them.

The Queen, in 65 years, has managed to steer the monarchy through her uncle, father's early death, the 60's, the War of the Wales, her sister's choices, Fergie, 1992, Camilla... she has prevailed. BUT, she remains above, no interviews, no real knowledge of her personal views or beliefs.

William and Catherine have shown us the steadfast, whole, calm, firm, complete continuance after the Queen and Prince Phillip.

For this I choose William.

Not talking about a romantic partnership here, but I tink that of the "young foursome" as they now are, William is the best of the bunch. I admired Harry's army service, but it cant be denied that he was only in action for short periods of time.. and now he's left. He's a nice chap and it remains to be seen what he'll be like as a full time royal. BUt William seems to have the most gravitas, and something of his mother's warmth, but much more restrained.. I like his sympathy with bereaved children, I think that is something that comes from the heart with him..

Last edited by a moderator:
William, he comes across as more responsible and steady. Something I admire in a man. Looks will always fade and change with time so that is not number one with me as it did {I am sure} when I was younger and maturity hadn't kicked-in yet. Have talked about this with my friends in UK a few times as most have more than once been in their company. Harry is a love and great to have a drink and talk sports and dates with. William actually is deeper and can hold a conversation and opinion on many subjects. Both nice but completely different. Impossible to compare on most levels. Just their opinion, I never met.

I dare say that Harry has more depth than some people here give him credit for.

As for me, William has lost his warmth - he is totally "Middleton-ed". I see little left of his mother in him, that has gone to Harry. I see more of Diana in Harry than in William.
Harry appears more approachable and that is what I find important.

I don't know...this is a hard one. They both have traits I like/admire. Quite frankly Harry would be the easier lot (he's not going to be King) to deal with.

William is much more reserved it's hard to know what he is really like privately, whereas Harry is more readable.

I'm not sure I can pick!

LaRae

I've deleted and edited a few posts. Let's keep this thread about William and Harry and not Kate and Meghan. Thanks.

Not talking about a romantic partnership here, but I tink that of the "young foursome" as they now are, William is the best of the bunch. I admired Harry's army service, but it cant be denied that he was only in action for short periods of time.. and now he's left. He's a nice chap and it remains to be seen what he'll be like as a full time royal. BUt William seems to have the most gravitas, and something of his mother's warmth, but much more restrained.. I like his sympathy with bereaved children, I think that is something that comes from the heart with him..
Something of his mother's warmth? What???

1. Diana had an insulting form of humor, she was manipulative (as one can see when you sees her out on engagements), and she was bad-mouthing people (including the Queen). And you don't need to bend down or hugging children to be warm.

2. Diana's so called warmth isn't even 10% of that warmth I sees/hears about when it comes to the Queen. Just read all the heartwarming stories that are told by people who have met her (I've written some of it in various threads here over the last 4 years).

Does she hugs people? No, she doesn't. Why? She was born in 1926, she was raised to not do such things, and she acceded to the throne in 1952. But she was (what I will call) folksy until 2012, when she started to appear more reserved.

3. Charles is also very good with people and he bends down to talk to people and often ends up hugging them. And you dont see a manipulative gene in him.

So one can safely say that they have their warmth from their father's side of the family.

4. And when the people on twitter and other places complain about William being more reserved than Harry, then I'm just laughing. Why? Because I remember when people (between 2011 and 2013) praised him as charismatic and said things like ''he wears his heart on his sleeve'' or ''he's so open'' etc.

And yes, William is now more formal than Harry. Why? Because he is going to be a constitutional monarch (a completely different role than just being a prince).

Is William more serious than Harry? Yes, he is. Why? Because he is a more serious person (and yes, it's as simple as that).

Is William more boring than Harry? Yes, he is. And thanks god for that (that was not meant as criticism of Harry).

BTW, What am I doing on this thread? I honestly don't know.

Last edited:
In my opinion, comparing William and Harry is like comparing apples and oranges. Both of them were born to different destinies....and have the personalities that suit their roles in life.
The only thing that I wish for these men is that they be happy after their tumultuous childhoods.

In addition to that, WIlliam and Harry have characteristics from BOTH of their parents. Please let us not act as if only 1 parent is responsible for them being who they are today.

For what purpose?

Different personalities but with some similar traits
Both can be funny
William is obviously better at Dad Dancing

Diplomacy? William
To be Monarch? William

Harry is fortunate in that he has more scope to do what he enjoys without the duties that go with the most senior roles in the BRF. He has a good rapport with people whom he chooses to meet.

I disagree about William's looks fading. I think he has a very crisp and elegant look. His eyeglasses, which he wears with increasing frequency, are perfect for him. He's tall and solid -- perfect King material. :)

I'd go for him, if I was in a position and of an age to do so. Harry is lovely and has IMO a more engaging speaking voice, but I will choose to be more superficial and pick William on his elegant facial features alone.

Since I'm just two years younger than Diana I can't look at them in a romantic way. ;) Both of them appear to be tall, fit and appropriately groomed. Neither seems all that interested in their wardrobes.

They appear to have a close and comfortable relationship with each other which reminds me more of the one that W-A and Constantijn probably have with each other. Fortunately it's doesn't seem to be like the one that Phillipe and Laurent have at this point in time.

Each has a different personality but seem to have some similar interests. I do agree with those who acknowledge that they will play different roles in the future and of course that impacts their demeanor when they are on duty.?

Harry of course, much more likeable and handsome !

William has yet to be seen as a full time royal either. He has been a part time pilot and part time royal for years. To be quite honest, what patronages outside BAFTA and rugby does he have in the UK? Other then the heads together campaign, nothing clearly sticks out. Harry on the other hand has cleared a road for himself. Invictus, walking with the wounded, senteble. Prince William is good at giving speeches about how he lost his mother, and how that makes him understand kids who lost others. Harry is the one who exudes his mother in his interaction with kids.

William has yet to be seen as a full time royal either. He has been a part time pilot and part time royal for years. To be quite honest, what patronages outside BAFTA and rugby does he have in the UK? Other then the heads together campaign, nothing clearly sticks out. Harry on the other hand has cleared a road for himself. Invictus, walking with the wounded, senteble. Prince William is good at giving speeches about how he lost his mother, and how that makes him understand kids who lost others. Harry is the one who exudes his mother in his interaction with kids.

I think William sees the writing on the wall , like King Willem-Alexander, and will take a less traditional and more ..plain way of supporting his subjects with a clear way to see that there is no bias. He won't have 700 patronages. He'll have none. It will be different.

Harry of course, much more likeable and handsome !

Harry certainly is't more handsome. He has red hair and until recently a goofy look. William has lost his hair but he was very good looking until then. But Harry's looks IMO haven't improved with age, or iwht that beard...

I think William sees the writing on the wall , like King Willem-Alexander, and will take a less traditional and more ..plain way of supporting his subjects with a clear way to see that there is no bias. He won't have 700 patronages. He'll have none. It will be different.

Why will he have no patronages. that would be ridiculous, One of the main reasons fro the RF is for them to support charities, so if Wiliam takes on no extra patronages as he takes on full time royal work, what is he going to do?
And I'm not sure what patronages he has but I'm sure they are more than 2 or 3. He's Patron of Centrepoint, for the Homeless, it is not just "rugby or BAFTA. "

He has been of late taking on some of the queen's duties like investitures, whereas Harry has had more time to devote to various charities, in a more hands on way, but that may change as Harry becomes more full time, and if they are both sons of the monarch. They will have less time to devote to hads on work...

Why will he have no patronages. that would be ridiculous, One of the main reasons fro the RF is for them to support charities, so if Wiliam takes on no extra patronages as he takes on full time royal work, what is he going to do?
And I'm not sure what patronages he has but I'm sure they are more than 2 or 3. He's Patron of Centrepoint, for the Homeless, it is not just "rugby or BAFTA. "

He has been of late taking on some of the queen's duties like investitures, whereas Harry has had more time to devote to various charities, in a more hands on way, but that may change as Harry becomes more full time, and if they are both sons of the monarch. They will have less time to devote to hads on work...

As an inclusive King, WA decided to get rid of patronages and be a patron of everyone, you could say.

William might very well do something similar. By the time he ascends, honorable Royal workers like HRH Duke of Kent and Richard Gloucester et al will have moved on, and it will be time for a new template.

So all the more reason ofr William to at least have titular patronage of a lot fo organsations. They may put them all together under one umbrella.. ANd there will still be other royals who are helping with the work, there will be Harry, W's children, Harry's children. If they feel there aren't enough Royals to go round there are plenty of relatives who can be drafted in.. but that kind of commits Will to support them financially to an extent. however I'm sure that there will be cousins who might want to be on the Royal duty roster...

I
William is much more reserved it's hard to know what he is really like privately, whereas Harry is more readable.

I'm not sure I can pick!

LaRae
I'd certainly prefer William as a Friend, and I think he was definitely handsomer than his brother. Harry is a nice fellow but has always seemed not very bright. I don't say William is any Einstein but he has I think reasonable intelligence.
And while I admire outgoing people, I'm personally introverted, so I think that William would be more comfortable when you got to know him...

Last edited by a moderator:
So all the more reason ofr William to at least have titular patronage of a lot fo organsations. They may put them all together under one umbrella.. ANd there will still be other royals who are helping with the work, there will be Harry, W's children, Harry's children. If they feel there aren't enough Royals to go round there are plenty of relatives who can be drafted in.. but that kind of commits Will to support them financially to an extent. however I'm sure that there will be cousins who might want to be on the Royal duty roster...

I'd certainly prefer William as a Friend, and I think he was definitely handsomer than his brother. Harry is a nice fellow but has always seemed not very bright. I don't say William is any Einstein but he has I think reasonable intelligence.
And while I admire outgoing people, I'm personally introverted, so I think that William would be more comfortable when you got to know him...

Harry may not seem bright (and I don't know why anyone gets that impression now that he's out of his party phase) but I assure you he has some pretty good brainpower because you don't pilot or co-pilot a multi-billion dollar helicopter unless you do. I have a husband who has spent the bulk of his military career working with helicopters and pilots and you don't fly those without some pretty good mental ability.

LaRae

William's schedule has gotten much more full this fall-he is definitely doing a lot more. Most of it doesn't get publicized much, but that doesn't mean he's not doing it.

Harry certainly is't more handsome. He has red hair and until recently a goofy look. William has lost his hair but he was very good looking until then. But Harry's looks IMO haven't improved with age, or iwht that beard...

Honestly what do people have against red hair? I don't find it to be a negative in someone's appearance. I find Harry's beard quite attractive on him.

Combating homelessness (Centre Point) and working with youth and ex military (Skill Force) may not be as flashy as the IG but I fail to see how it’s less important.

It’s funny how a thread started years ago as basically a who would you rather date kind of thing is being used to determine who’s patronage’s are more important

Last edited:
Back when this thread was first started, both William and Harry were single, young men and available. 15 years for this thread alone is an example of just how long TRF has been in use has stayed relevant to royal discussions.

Now, we see both William and Harry as mature men with both of them being removed from "single and partying" scene and we're looking at them in a different perspective.

Just a note on the causes. I wouldn't put Harry's Invictus Games above the campaign and global effort that has garnered some really positive results with William's (and Harry's) United for Wildlife. There has been deep inroads globally against the poaching and use of ivory. That means something.

William and Harry both have distinguishing characteristics that set them apart and basically, I see them balancing each other out. William being the more reserved which is suitable for his upcoming role as monarch and Harry being more open and able to be in touch and identify more with the everyday man. Together they have the ability to cover all bases. :D

You make it sound as if red hair is a big turnoff. Well, it's not. Maybe for you it is, but a lot of people like ginger hairs.

And I am of the opposite opinion concerning Harry's looks - he has improved with age and I find his beard appealing on him. Makes him look more mature. That's also the case with some other royal men, but they are not what this thread is about.

Harry may not seem bright (and I don't know why anyone gets that impression now that he's out of his party phase) but I assure you he has some pretty good brainpower because you don't pilot or co-pilot a multi-billion dollar helicopter unless you do. I have a husband who has spent the bulk of his military career working with helicopters and pilots and you don't fly those without some pretty good mental ability.

LaRae

I pretty much agree with this - I think when you get to know him, Harry is bright enough. I suppose that image stems from his party days, but most people grow out of that and he certainly appears to have grown out of it. Else I don't think he would be where he is now.

Honestly what do people have against red hair? I don't find it to be a negative in someone's appearance. I find Harry's beard quite attractive on him.

:previous: This. Frankly I find it appalling when someone dismisses another purely because he or she has red hair. One may not like the hair color, but to completely shove someone aside only because of that doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom