Meghan Markle: Citizenship and Religious Conversion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the BRF was so concerned about that, they should’ve give her the citizenship at the time of her marriage.

By the way, Queen Maxima of the Netherlands has dual citizenship. Meghan is not even going to be Queen.

There are other members of the BRF who are foreign born, and I’ve not heard of them renouncing their “birth right” citizenships.

It is impossible for Queen Máxima to renounce her Argentinian citizenship as Argentina does not allow citizens to do that. If Queen Máxima could have renounced her citizenship I am quite sure there would have been pressure on her to do so, esp. as the government wants to discourage people from having double nationalities.

I think Meghan does better to wait in line like other people seeking to become subjects of the UK. She doesn't need any more bad press and people are already saying why should she get ahead of a doctor or a nurse trying to become subjects? They contribute more than she does. Before you argue with me I'm not saying that I've read other comments that said that. At this point they need the good publicity and it doesn't really matter if she becomes a subject in one year or three. It's not like she's forced to live in America while he lives in the UK.

Immigration and citizenship is a hot potato in the UK just now, Meghan cannot be seen to receive preferential treatment, she is not under threat to be thrown out. She needs to apply and wait in line like anybody else.

CP Mary on the other hand gave up her Australian citizenship.

That was very harsh of the DRF to ask her that...come on, you can never predict what happens in life, divorce, death...she could one day come to regret it.

That was very harsh of the DRF to ask her that...come on, you can never predict what happens in life, divorce, death...she could one day come to regret it.

That’s the price of marrying a senior royal. No country wants a princess who isn’t fully willing to comment herself to their country.

I think Meghan does better to wait in line like other people seeking to become subjects of the UK. She doesn't need any more bad press and people are already saying why should she get ahead of a doctor or a nurse trying to become subjects? They contribute more than she does. Before you argue with me I'm not saying that I've read other comments that said that. At this point they need the good publicity and it doesn't really matter if she becomes a subject in one year or three. It's not like she's forced to live in America while he lives in the UK.

I don't recall Meghan nor Harry asking for special treatment for Meghan's citizenship process. It was stated at the very beginning (during their engagement announcement) that they would go through the normal channels and that it would take 3-5 years.

At the time of the wedding it was natural for most Danes that a future queen wouldn't be the citizen of two other countries - Mary held a dual citizenship in Australia and the UK. The introduction of the law was supported by a large part of the population even if there were critics to her receiving preferential treatment to other immigrants in her situation. Denmark has later introduced strict requirements for allowing a permit of residence for immigrants of love.
Even if there would be a divorce Mary would probably remain living in Denmark for a foreseeable future given that her children would be under the formal custody of the monarch and obliged to be raised and educated in Denmark.

If it takes 3-5 years I believe her citizenship will be on the shortest legal time limit. Not because the BRF interfere with the process (I don't believe they could if they wanted), but because the government finds the situation untenable.

The tax laws of the US are unbelievable and IMO I believe the mere possibility of questions about the BRF finances to a degree that even the UK itself neither requires nor is privy to is awkward to say the least.

On an "I like pretty things, especially pretty shiny things" level, the weird and arcane rules mean that I doubt we will see the Sussexes at white tie events because of the tax implications.

I don't recall Meghan nor Harry asking for special treatment for Meghan's citizenship process. It was stated at the very beginning (during their engagement announcement) that they would go through the normal channels and that it would take 3-5 years.

I didn't say they asked for special treatment. I said it would look like they were getting special treatment. In any case it's the media who are bringing all this up - I don't see Meghan in any hurry to give up her US citizenship. The other stories are saying that she and Harry want to move to the US.

CP Mary on the other hand gave up her Australian citizenship.

That’s the price of marrying a senior royal. No country wants a princess who isn’t fully willing to comment herself to their country.

At the time of the wedding it was natural for most Danes that a future queen wouldn't be the citizen of two other countries - Mary held a dual citizenship in Australia and the UK. The introduction of the law was supported by a large part of the population even if there were critics to her receiving preferential treatment to other immigrants in her situation. Denmark has later introduced strict requirements for allowing a permit of residence for immigrants of love.
Even if there would be a divorce Mary would probably remain living in Denmark for a foreseeable future given that her children would be under the formal custody of the monarch and obliged to be raised and educated in Denmark.

Speaking generally, another consideration is that many countries have now given women equal rights in inheritance of citizenship, so that another consequence of a foreign-born queen or princess consort retaining her own citizenship would be that her children also hold a foreign citizenship.

I didn't say they asked for special treatment. I said it would look like they were getting special treatment. In any case it's the media who are bringing all this up - I don't see Meghan in any hurry to give up her US citizenship. The other stories are saying that she and Harry want to move to the US.

How would it look like they are getting special treatment when they are following the normal standards?

The media lies about the couple often so unless it is verified by the Palace or Sussexes themselves I would take caution in anything they have to say about them.

How would it look like they are getting special treatment when they are following the normal standards?

The media lies about the couple often so unless it is verified by the Palace or Sussexes themselves I would take caution in anything they have to say about them.

If she got citizenship very quickly it would look like she was getting it because of who she is. It's better that she gets it in the normal time frame.

At this point they have been in the process for two years now (started during their engagement). Unless she is already a duel-citizen (or gave up her US) and we don't know it, she seems to be on the same track as any other person applying.

At this point they have been in the process for two years now (started during their engagement). Unless she is already a duel-citizen (or gave up her US) and we don't know it, she seems to be on the same track as any other person applying.

I didn't think she wasn't. And I didn't see them pushing to get her citizenship any faster. But it's better they take it slow for PR reasons. I think the reason she gets picked on (besides the fact they took on the media) is poor PR people. She needs a PR person who deals with royalty not one who deals with celebrities. There's a big difference between the two.

Speaking generally, another consideration is that many countries have now given women equal rights in inheritance of citizenship, so that another consequence of a foreign-born queen or princess consort retaining her own citizenship would be that her children also hold a foreign citizenship.

Based on a quick search after reading your post , it appears that a person born overseas with at least one parent who is an Australian citizen is eligible to acquire Australian citizenship , but the eligible person in question has to apply for it, i.e. acquisition of citizenship is not automatic in this case as it is with US citizenship for example.

I haven’t verified that information, but if it is correct, I don’t think there would be any meaningful effect in the case of CP Mary’s children as they would be unlikely to apply for Australian citizenship anyway.

Last edited:
I find myself totally unsurprised that this issue has been raised again. With nothing new to write about it is back to the weird and arcane tax law again. YouTube is suddenly rife with the implications for the royal family itself due to the US tax on citizens living abroad.

Meghan being a UK citizen solves that problem except as it applies to Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. Since they are hardly likely to tax his piggy bank I think he's safe for a few yrars

So, with the Sussexes on this extended break-there are stories that they have been and are still out of the country. If true, how does being “on vacation” in possibly Canada and the U.S for 6 weeks or so affect Meghan’s citizenship process?

So, with the Sussexes on this extended break-there are stories that they have been and are still out of the country. If true, how does being “on vacation” in possibly Canada and the U.S for 6 weeks or so affect Meghan’s citizenship process?

meghan will have needed to live in the UK 3 years following her wedding to present her application to be a citizen. after that, when she does present it, she will need to show she has not spent more than 270 days outside the UK during the 3 years before her application so this break doesn't immediately affect her as long as she remains in UK 3 years - 270 days at least at that time.

given she travels for her royal duties, i am unsure how these days out of the country are considered in the citizenship request, given she does so in a diplomatic capacity.

And does this stop Meghan’s application for British citizenship?

Interesting question. I don't think so, but it all depends on what their official residence is (most likely the UK - assuming they have some visa issues to resolve if they decide on living there) and how many days Meghan is out of the country. This is what I found:

Residency requirements also apply to an application for naturalization. You should not have spent more than 270 days outside the U.K. during the immediate three years before your application, and you should not have spent more than 90 days outside the U.K. in the last 12 months.

So, they need to spend about 9 months a year in the UK for Meghan to become a British citizen. However, I am not sure that she would prioritize that over being able to be abroad.

Edit: Only now I see that your question was also answered above when you raised it regarding their extended stay in Canada.

Last edited:
This article includes some basic information on the possible procedures the Duke of Sussex may have used to (reportedly) move to the United States as a foreign citizen:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...y-given-diplomatic-status-united-states-help/

Matteo Carrera, an immigration law researcher for Cardozo Law School in New York, said settling Prince Harry’s visa situation would not be difficult.

Given his wealth and status he would probably be classified as a British diplomat, entering the US on an A1 Visa.

Mr Carrera said: “With this he would have been able to enter the US and then adjust his status to a green card."

[...]

According to the US state department A1 visas are for diplomats and government officials. If he was not given an A1 visa the Duke could have entered the US on a simple tourist visa, and then apply for a green card, allowing him to become a permanent resident and work.

This article includes some basic information on the possible procedures the Duke of Sussex may have used to (reportedly) move to the United States as a foreign citizen:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...y-given-diplomatic-status-united-states-help/

I don’t think it is possible to enter the US on a tourist visa ( B1) and then apply for permanent residence as the article claims. Could an expert please clarify?

If the Duke entered the US on an A1 visa, he can stay indefinitely pending “ duration of status”, but that implies he must be performing some official duty on behalf of the UK government and he coukdn’t work or pursue any business elsewhere anyway.

I don’t think it is possible to enter the US on a tourist visa ( B1) and then apply for permanent residence as the article claims. Could an expert please clarify?

If the Duke entered the US on an A1 visa, he can stay indefinitely pending “ duration of status”, but that implies he must be performing some official duty on behalf of the UK government and he coukdn’t work or pursue any business elsewhere anyway.

I have a feelingyou're right. I looked into this some years ago.. a lot of people do enter on tourist visas, but I think they have to leave to get permanent permission to stay.

Meghan is a us citizen. If she is not still actively seeking UK citizenship, then there’s a solid chance Harry is here on a permanent Family Visa.

As the likelihood of Meghan acquiring British citizenship at this stage seems minimal, this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom