The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Commoner

Why is that eveyone keep saying that Mary married for money? If you married a rich guy, does that automatically make you a gold digger, no. Then why doesnt this theory apply to Mary?

Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Nobility

They are a very loving and good looking couple.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Aristocracy

I see them as the new Chuck and Di.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashajones
Interesting comment.

In what way are they the new Chuck and Di? Did he not love her when married her? Do you think history will repeat itself, etc.?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikaB
Interesting comment.

In what way are they the new Chuck and Di? Did he not love her when married her? Do you think history will repeat itself, etc.?
IMO there is no more reason to expect that Charles and Diana's history should be replayed for Frederik and Mary than for any of the other CP couples around nowadays. I don't know why anyone would think that - unless influenced by the warped imaginations running wild at sites dedicated to unsavory comments and the belittlement of Frederik and particularly Mary.

If Fred didn't love Mary, why go to the other side of the globe to choose a girl. Why not thrill royalists, feed the hungry royalist magazines and find a nice blue-blooded girl from DK or one of it's neighbouring countries. He didn't and for a very simple reason if you ask me.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Gentry

Pardon, I live in a free society where people have been granted the inalienable rights of freedom of thought and freedom of speech; hence, my posting.

Also, people marry for different reasons, alas, it is not always about love, and only the parties involved know the real reason; and there are cases where they even hide this from each other. Furthemore, lest you jump to conclusions, my statement in no way implies anything about Frederik and Mary's marriage. It is a general statement on the reasons for marriage. Only Fred and Mary know why they married, and I don't pretend to know that reason.

Finally, I did not make a statement in my initial post; I only asked the questions in an attempt to better understand the following post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashajones
Old 08-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Royal Highness

I didn't understand the comment about Chuck and Di either.

I think Joachim and Alexandra's marriage proved how difficult it is to assess the felicity of a couple which are often in the media.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
I didn't understand the comment about Chuck and Di either.

I think Joachim and Alexandra's marriage proved how difficult it is to assess the felicity of a couple which are often in the media.
I agree. It has been duly noted that the day prior to their separation announcement, Joachim and Alexandra attended an event and looked the part of the perfectly happy couple. Thus, I am fully aware that things aren't always what they seem. Therefore, in my personal life, I always reserve judgement, and try not to jump to conclusions unless I have "hard" evidence. But I am more lenient with myself on this type of forum and I do/will make comments that are intended as jokes and are not meant to offend anyone.

Also, I enjoy studying human behaviour, thus, I always like to find out what people think; why people feel/think the way they do; what motivates them; what's the basis for their reasoning; etc. It is probably my greatest pastime.

Well, enough about me. I'm sure you didn't want to hear all that!:mrgreen:
Old 08-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Royal Highness

Of course I want to hear it - that's the best part of these discussion boards!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
If Fred didn't love Mary, why go to the other side of the globe to choose a girl. Why not thrill royalists, feed the hungry royalist magazines and find a nice blue-blooded girl from DK or one of it's neighbouring countries. He didn't and for a very simple reason if you ask me.
It has amused me why there aren't enough Danish spouses for the royal family. All the Danes I know, for the most part, are very nice people. I would have thought that there would have been plenty of suitable men and women, after all, Denmark even has its own aristocracy.
Marrying outside the country was the historical pattern but the main intent was to create new alliances - it does seem unusual today however. The 4 year relationship is also, I believe, the longest out of all the present day hereditary princes ( though we know that in the past Sonia had to wait 9 years for permission to marry and Camilla even longer).
Old 08-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thi
Why is that eveyone keep saying that Mary married for money? If you married a rich guy, does that automatically make you a gold digger, no. Then why doesnt this theory apply to Mary?
Saying that for Mary is really unfair

Why Mary married for money, and NOT Letizia, Mette Maritt & Co????\
This is really unfair.

fred is a nice guy, he looks charming, gentle, funny, and very veru in love with Mary. Why Mary would not love him for all these reasons????
Old 08-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana
It has amused me why there aren't enough Danish spouses for the royal family. All the Danes I know, for the most part, are very nice people. I would have thought that there would have been plenty of suitable men and women, after all, Denmark even has its own aristocracy.
Well, it wasn't like Frederik didn't 'sample' a few of the local attractions . Mary must have something special that appealed to him.
I personally don't believe that marrying outside the Danish borders was of particular importance to him - more like a coincidence that he followed a 'trend' in the family.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Nobility

In real life most people marry each other because

a) they have things in common
B)they fall in love with each other
C) they have respected mutual feelings for one another

leave them alone they seemed very much in love with one another and Im sure Mary will make a great Queen for Denmark as shes an intelligent girl and no wonder Prince Fredrick fell for her!
Old 08-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Royal Highness

I think Mary and Frederik love each other very much. I don't care if you're a good actor, you can't keep up a relationship for three years if there's nothing there.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Courtier

I think I must have missed something somewhere, why is Fred and Mary's love for each being doubted? Or did we just run out of more interesting things to talk about?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1
I think I must have missed something somewhere, why is Fred and Mary's love for each being doubted? Or did we just run out of more interesting things to talk about?
Probably!!:mrgreen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I think Mary and Frederik love each other very much. I don't care if you're a good actor, you can't keep up a relationship for three years if there's nothing there.
<Edited personal story/Mandy>

Nobody, except Fred and Mary, knows if they married for love... or not.
Nobody, except Fred and Mary, knows if Mary married for money... or not.
Nobody, except Fred and Mary, knows if Mary married for security... or not.
Nobody, except Fred and Mary, knows if Fred and Mary married for companionship... or not.
Etcetera.

Nobody knows. . . except Fred and Mary. But everyone on this forum is free to voice their opinion, which is this forum's raison d'etre.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

HenrikaB...this is very true...no one knows what happens behind closed doors. At the end of the day...everyone has to live with the decisions that he or she makes.

What is very interesting about people on forums such as this...is everyone has a right to voice their opinion but I don't think sometimes I don't think people "hear" them. If you like Mary because A, B, C then thats great. If you dislike her because A, B, C thats fine too. And if you don't like her cause welll..you just don't...that's fine as well. My only concern is that sometimes...especially with the speed of the internet...people are basing their opinions (good and bad) on erroneous information. And we as a people of the information and instant gratification age, don't make allowances for mistakes in judgement or just plain accidents. Sometimes life isn't black and white...but just a nice shade of grey.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Royal Highness

[quote=HenrikaB]Things aren't always what they seem. Case in point: One of my coworkers was married for nineteen years. Came in to work, very sunny disposition, always happy, had quite an air of self-confidence. Turns out her husband was abusing her all the years they were together and it took her that long to pick herself up off the floor and get out of it.

The only reason I bring up that example is to justify the point: Appearances can be deceiving. Hence, the only people who really know what's going on inside a marriage are the two people involved.[quote]

I completely agree. What I'm saying is that if they didn't really love each other, I don't think they could have made a long-distance relationship work for as long as they did. Frederik obviously knows that Mary loves him and Mary knows Frederik loves her. We don't know what's going on because we're not part of it but I seriously doubt a loveless marriage would have produced such a good looking prince . Especially for people that are in the public eye, it must be extremely exhausting to pretend to be something that you're not.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Whether they love each other is actually quite inconsequential - will they stay together is the issue. Will duty prevail over personal desires. Only time will tell.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
Whether they love each other is actually quite inconsequential - will they stay together is the issue. Will duty prevail over personal desires. Only time will tell.
Isn't this true for any royal couple?

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary