What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
crisscross1 said:
I don't know what 'being all that and a bag of chips' has to do with being down to earth. You are talking about their personailty. Sure there are people who are boring, interesting, intelligent, egotistic, shy, that is their personalities. I am saying that if I met Fred and Mary in a pub, they give the impression they would take the time to stop and say hello.
That's not a fact though.

Personally I fail to see why such a "down to earth" couple felt the need to announce their so-called private vacation weeks in advance. That's not what most normal people do.....

Little_star said:
Please don't apologise, your posts are some of the most sensible and level-headed in this thread!

Thanks Little Star and I also agree with you about them announcing their "private" vacation so far in advance. They could have just simply traveled there and not made any real mention of it at all. They also could have put Christian in daycare and not invited the media like they did. I know RF's need to have photo ops but some things that the Danes do I just don't agree with at all.

Aurora810 said:
Thanks Little Star and I also agree with you about them announcing their "private" vacation so far in advance. They could have just simply traveled there and not made any real mention of it at all. They also could have put Christian in daycare and not invited the media like they did. I know RF's need to have photo ops but some things that the Danes do I just don't agree with at all.

The point of the photo op at Christian's daycare was so that the media would leave Christian, and the rest of the daycare centre, alone. Christian isn't the only student there, so the DRF have made a deal with the media so that they would stay away from the daycare centre and not bother the other students/parents in their attempts to get photos of the little prince going to daycare.

Have a Happy Easter everyone! :flowers:

Yes, I understand what the reasons were for the daycare photo-op. But a video and numerous photographers there, it's a little over the top for me. They could have released a few pics of Christian going off to daycare and not made it a production. They could still have the deal with the media to not take pics of Christian while he's at daycare. There's ways of doing it without making it the production it was. And because Christian isn't the only child going there is all the more reason to have a deal and keep the media away and do things in a more low key manner. Only my opinion, of course.

Aurora810 said:
Yes, I understand what the reasons were for the daycare photo-op. But a video and numerous photographers there, it's a little over the top for me. They could have released a few pics of Christian going off to daycare and not made it a production. They could still have the deal with the media to not take pics of Christian while he's at daycare. There's ways of doing it without making it the production it was. And because Christian isn't the only child going there is all the more reason to have a deal and keep the media away and do things in a more low key manner. Only my opinion, of course.

I respect that you have your opinion, as I have mine, and IMO, I doubt that a few released photos would have satisfied the press hunger and the deal would have gone out the window and the press would have been at the daycare centre the following day as fast as a dog to a bone

I know RF's need to have photo ops but some things that the Danes do I just don't agree with at all

Well, isn't it just wonderful that you aren't a Dane then...:lol:

It wasn't so much a photo 'op' as it was a national point of interest in Denmark's future King starting his first day of pre-school.

And, my logical way of thinking would be that his parents (not least of all his grandmother, The Queen) would rather have a media contingent present, having been authorized access, than a whole bunch paps stalking out the kindergarten.

They came, they saw, they got their pics and now 'everyone' is happy. Well, 'everyone' except for some at TRF...Go figure!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Aurora810 said:

So tell me, do you think that the picture-ops and videos of Ingrid Alexandra's first day at nursery school were also over the top or is this opinion only reserved for Christian.

Aurora810 said:
See we are two different people and in my mind "down to earth" is a phrase that you use to describe someone that you know personally. I would never say that about a celeb or royal. I might say hey I heard from people that know Tiger Woods that he is really down to earth I might also say that based on blank Mary seems down to earth. But I would never say that they are definitely down to earth people. My point is that we just don't know for sure. We are judging them by pictures, articles, and short interviews. You can't judge a person accurately by that. This has nothing to do with anything but I often think to myself if I was ever able to meet a few of these royals and get to know them on a personal level I think I might be really shocked. Chances are that the ones I judge to be the most natural, compassionate, and easygoing. The ones I like the most I might not like at all in person. And instead the ones that I was unsure of based on their pics and interviews might actually be the ones I like the most. ;)

You have a valid point, but I think that judging just from appearances (what else do we have?!), at least Fred seems a down to earth kind of person. As far as that applies to anyone in that rarified realm they live in, that is. What I mean is: anyone living in that kind of situation, with all the privileges, prerogatives, with people who act like sycophants constantly surrounding you, staying down to earth is a tough act. And as far as royals go, Fred is doing an ok job it seems. He comes across at least as gregarious, and that's more than one could say for his peers Alexander and Felipe for example.

(his mother is another story; she and her husband seem old-school intimidatingly snobbish to me, sorry)

Mandy said:
So tell me, do you think that the picture-ops and videos of Ingrid Alexandra's first day at nursery school were also over the top or is this opinion only reserved for Christian.
I haven't seen either photo op, but I don't see what's wrong with doing it this way.

On the other hand, Alexander and Maxima chose to NOT share information, let alone photographs, of Amalia attending her pre-school (she is said to be attending one in her village of Wassenaar, but the DRF is very hush hush about it). Different royal families do things differently, clearly. Actually funny that Juliana, Alexander's grandmother, did allow photographers to capture every single move of her kids. Wonder why Beatrix and her son are not so fond of the idea.

Actually come to think of it, I remember a very lengthy documentary chronicling then princess Alexandra's life celebrating her 40th birth day. Seemed a bit over the top to me, at the time. It showed her on her varous travels abroad as well as at home. But now I'm thinking: maybe the Danish RF takes this path as a way to justify its existence to the Danish tax payer, in whose name the Danish RF rules?

Last edited:
Royal families around the world all function differently according to the needs of their country. The Danes seem to like seeing their royal family and pictures of their future King starting school is a precious moment. They could have released a few photos but I highly doubt that would have satisfied the Danish press, let alone the Australian press.

Amalia's start at school was not highly publicized and photos were not shared. But the Dutch family is very generous with the press, giving them planned photoshoots every couple months or so. Each royal family has to find their own way to deal with the press.

Felipe and Letizia aren't vacationing in Palma with the rest of the family but they knew that they needed to give the press something. So they took Leonor to a wildlife park for a fun-filled afternoon. Not only did the family have fun and spend time together but they were able to give the press some spring photos before the second Infanta comes along.

The Scandinavian royal families conduct things similarly sometimes. They somewhat share the same press so it makes sense that the deals they make for the young royals are similar.

Anyways, my question is: What is the big deal about the pictures from Christian's first day? I feel like if the pictures were from Belgium or Spain or the Netherlands or any other country there would be a lot less criticism.

I have gone back and compared both Ingrid's and Christian's first day's of daycare and I stand by my previous remarks there are more pics of Christian's and there was more coverage in my opinion. The Danes have a way of doing things in a much grander way just one or two steps bigger then others. Maybe that is simply the culture. Maybe Princess Olga is right maybe it's the RF justifying themselves to the Danish people. I don't know what it is. But it's just not for me. That's just my opinion though.

Aurora810 said:
I have gone back and compared both Ingrid's and Christian's first day's of daycare and I stand by my previous remarks there are more pics of Christian's and there was more coverage in my opinion. The Danes have a way of doing things in a much grander way just one or two steps bigger then others. Maybe that is simply the culture. Maybe Princess Olga is right maybe it's the RF justifying themselves to the Danish people. I don't know what it is. But it's just not for me. That's just my opinion though.

The amount of coverage is not always the royal family's fault. If more photographers came to Christian's school and not Ingrid's school - how is that Fred and Mary's fault? There is more of an international interest with Christian because of the ties to Australia. Yes, it might have been more of an unnecessary media zoo at Christian's first day but I don't think it should reflect badly on Fred or Mary. The press is given information about the photo-op and it's their decision whether or not to show up.

There is no big deal I simply used the example of Christian's first day at daycare as an example in a previous post. I just wanted to support what I was saying and help others understand what I was saying.

Besides, it's not as if its a competition on how many pics there are for Christian compared with Ingrid.

Aurora810 said:
The Danes have a way of doing things in a much grander way

Yep, they do things properly in Denmark ;)

The Danish monarchy is the oldest in Europe and if there ever was a court that is just in exhibiting a precedent of majesty, then certainly the House of Glücksburg is the one to do so.

Justifying themselves? No, I think it's more likely to be seen as 'them' remaining accessible and constant. Something the Danish royals have managed to maintain for a very very long time is the common ground between sovereign and subject, court and the public and it's been executed with such success.

I think it has been said that there is no point (or any real want) to depose the monarchy in Denmark for Queen Margrethe would surely be elected President. Now that's a Monarchy worth having :)

Last edited:
Aurora, dont take it so seriously. You gave your opinions and others challenged them, which is what is meant to happen in discussion boards. There would be no point in forums if nobody challenged opinions. Its not attacks against you, just the argument.

Australian said:
Aurora, dont take it so seriously. You gave your opinions and others challenged them, which is what is meant to happen in discussion boards. There would be no point in forums if nobody challenged opinions. Its not attacks against you, just the argument.
Fair enough, I actually liked this particular discussin, and it was civilized to boot! :flowers:

But it has to be said that often on this thread, anyone of the opinion that Fred and Mary aren't the most interesting/best/fillintheblank royals out there, anyone expressing that opinion in this thread, is, on this thread, a brave soul!

Because unfortunately, being of the opinion that Aurora is--and that I happen to share--, namely that Fred and Mary are a wee bit overrated sometimes, that very opinion is valid on its own but is typically immediately dismissed on this thread because of..why? While I understand concepts such as 'mateship' that may partly apply here to Mary's po;pularity, I do wonder whether Mary would be defended on this thread so vigourously if her origins were, say, German.

Mary and Fred seem decent enough people, but as I said on the first page of this thread, I can't seem to warm up to them, and believe me, I've tried. Aurora feels the same. Why is that seen by so many here on the thread as so wrong, I just don't grok that.

Madame Royale said:
Yep, they do things properly in Denmark ;)

The Danish monarchy is the oldest in Europe and if there ever was a court that is just in exhibiting a precedent of majesty, then certainly the House of Glücksburg is the one to do so.

Justifying themselves? No, I think it's more likely to be seen as 'them' remaining accessible and constant. Something the Danish royals have managed to maintain for a very very long time is the common ground between sovereign and subject, court and the public and it's been executed with such success.

I think it has been said that there is no point (or any real want) to depose the monarchy in Denmark for Queen Margrethe would surely be elected President. Now that's a Monarchy worth having :)
To your last point, that doesn't mean monarchs and their families don't have to justify themselves. You've said it yourself: "remaining accessible and constant", they're doing it because the show must go on. And that's ultimately because, wait for it, someone out there's paying for the whole royal circus. The danish taxpayer surely wants to know where their money goes I'd think, and their royals are merely putting on these sessions because it's part of the show. Not because they're so generous with their time or anything, I'd venture to think!

Basically, <ANyone > with a job has to justify him or herself now and then to whoever is giving them their paycheck. It's not any different for the reigning Glucksburgs, but feel free to drink the royal coolaid if you want! I do agree with you that this particular family does it better than most, hence their longevity, I agree on that one.

Last edited:
princess olga said:
Mary and Fred seem decent enough people, but as I said on the first page of this thread, I can't seem to warm up to them, and believe me, I've tried. Aurora feels the same. Why is that seen by so many here on the thread as so wrong, I just don't grok that.

I don't see it as wrong and I apologize if my posts were harsh or attacking in any way. I think your and Aurora's posts are actually quite nice and it's good to hear a differing opinion that's done in a civilized manner. I just find it frustrating and annoying to find other members participate in random Mary bashing that's rather baseless. I also find overzealous Mary fans to be many times inappropriate in other threads that just fuel negative comments about Fred and Mary. My problem with a thread like this is that it tends to go an ugly route even though it was opened with good intentions in hopes of a good discussion.

soCal girl said:
I don't see it as wrong and I apologize if my posts were harsh or attacking in any way. I think your and Aurora's posts are actually quite nice and it's good to hear a differing opinion that's done in a civilized manner. I just find it frustrating and annoying to find other members participate in random Mary bashing that's rather baseless. I also find overzealous Mary fans to be many times inappropriate in other threads that just fuel negative comments about Fred and Mary. My problem with a thread like this is that it tends to go an ugly route even though it was opened with good intentions in hopes of a good discussion.
Agree, and admittedly I have expressed views on this thread that I now see as unfair re. Mary, i.e. I think I called her a prettyfied girl next door once. Well, of course anyone who'd upgrade from 'citizen' to p rincess, would seek to improve their appearance, why wouldn't Mary?
but this thread has offered me over time plenty of food for thought and I have to say I do understand a number of things much better now. Or, I have more empathy now with Mary than I did before. She is clearly trying, and what I used to see as arrogance, I now see as just trying to meet people's expectations. And that she actually seemingly is not pretentious at all, which is nice.

It's not any different for the reigning Glucksburgs, but feel free to drink the royal coolaid if you want!

I prefer water but thanks anyway... :lol: :wacko:

I simply don't see this 'event' as a sign of justifying the Danish monarchy's worth. That is a function which is carried out at the many engagements the royal representatives attend or host, both in Denmark and abroad.

I do however see it as another example of remaining accessible and constant with the public interest that is shown, and on a more personal level viewing them as a family, not just an institution which I have noted on my travels to this small, but beautiful Kingdom.

Last edited:
princess olga said:
I do wonder whether Mary would be defended on this thread so vigourously if her origins were, say, German.

You may have a point.

princess olga said:

I can't say I've warmed to Mary but I'm intrigued by her public persona. Its not a warm and down to earth persona; its very regal and a bit standoffish. I actually like that in a royal and it doesn't bother me one bit.

I was however immensely disappointed in Christian's funny jester hat last Easter and his totally undignified birthday picture with icing all over his face. I have a pet peeve when parents pose their child as an object of fun. The kids end up being terribly embarassed about it later. Plus that wasn't what I expect to see when I see royalty.

So what I'm saying is that we all have our expectations of what royals should be like. If I wanted a warm, friendly approachable princess, I'm sure Mary would disappoint me one hundredfold, but there's no need to warm up to her and since I don't expect that, she doesn't disappoint me at all.

Hey except, when she lets Christian get his birthday picture taken with icing smeared all over his face. :lol:

princess olga said:
I do wonder whether Mary would be defended on this thread so vigourously if her origins were, say, German.
quote]

maybe, maybe not. But look, i am sure when Grace Kelly became princess (im not saying mary is anything like her) she was the subject of fascination by the American people as it was Americas first American to marry into a royal family. Im sure if there was messageboards around during her time, Americans would defend and look out for Grace too.

ysbel said:
..totally undignified birthday picture with icing all over his face. I have a pet peeve when parents pose their child as an object of fun. The kids end up being terribly embarassed about it later. Plus that wasn't what I expect to see when I see royalty.

Oh really, ysbel..it was cute :) I can't understand how you could view it in the light you do but fair enough.

He wasn't an object of fun..nothing of the sort imo. It was the photo of a little boy celebrating his first brithday doing what many children would do.

I can't see Christian being terribly affected by the photograph in years to come.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
Oh really, ysbel..it was cute :) I can't understand how you could view it in the light you do but fair enough.

He wasn't an object of fun..nothing of the sort imo. It was the photo of a little boy celebrating his first brithday doing what many children would do.

I can't see Christian being terribly affected by the photograph in years to come.

As we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I thought Christian's pic was cute - and it wasn't as if Mary and Fred smeared chocolate over Christian's mouth, Christian did it himself! It was a normal kid doing his thing, and the pic released showed a normal kid enjoying his birthday cake (yum yum... wish I could have one right now).

Now releasing pics of Christian in a sailor outfit (like a lot of royal kids used to wear in the 1800's) would look unnatural to me. I like Christian better in bunny jumpsuits, eating watermelon and having fun on his birthday!! But that's just me :flowers:

The way i see it, Christian is going to be spending his entire adult life being formal and dressing formal. Let him enjoy himself now while he is young and when protocol isnt important to him at this stage.

Must admit that I am also all for an informal dress-code for small children - royal or not. I thought last year's Easter outfit was just cute - most Danes thought so I think.
Also, this forum is the only place where I have seen anyone object to the birthday pics of Christian with birthday cake on his face. That type of pictures is just über cute :) - royal or not. And it is definitely not disrespectful to the child IMO.

You all bring up a point about Grace Kelly. I didn't think of her because her entrance into European titled society came a bit before I was born so I can't say I have firsthand knowledge of the Americans reaction then. :lol:

I think the different reactions that people have show the different expectations that people have of what royals should be. Its natural that different expectations are going to cause some of us to dislike some royals that other members are passionate about and its impossible for one royal to please all of us. And some members who are not Danish or Australian are going to come to a discussion from a different perspective than an Aussie or Dane. So this background is definitely going to give me a different viewpoint. I don't like Mary or anyone being criticized unfairly and will defend them but Mary is not my 'mate' so I have no trouble criticizing or praising Mary as long as I feel I'm being reasonable.

Personally I don't relate to a public face of a 1000 year old monarchy being captured in a cute and silly and huggable photo of a one year old but I realize that others like that so its just another example of different expectations that create different likes and dislikes.

Alright after a weak moment last evening I'm back. I wanted to add something about the Grace Kelly point. I also was not even a dream in my parent's minds when Grace came into the Monaco RF. But I can speak for now. Years afterwards I don't think America has closely followed the MRF. Yes, I've seen a few things here and there about them on local news. Mostly not so good stuff though(paternity issues with Albert) and on a sports show, yes oddly enough one time on sports show the host wished Caroline a happy birthday last year. However, I still don't think that America has kept really close tabs on Monaco's royals over the years. But that's just what I've noticed. But maybe if Grace was still alive and hadn't died so prematurely maybe more interest would be there. I don't know. But there was no local coverage of Prince Rainier's passing or of Albert taking the throne. Albert did however come to America and do an interview with Larry King on CNN a few months after Rainier passed but I don't believe it generated much buzz at all. Now getting to my point, maybe Australia is still in the honeymoon phase with Fred and Mary and the DRF. But I doubt it I really think that for some reason these 2 countries will forever be bonded, no matter what really happens in this marriage/family. But we'll see what the future holds. However one reason that I think there might be a seemingly stronger bond between Australia and Denmark is because of the fact that Australia is at least used to the concept of royalty. For years they watched the British and then one day woke up to hear that a fellow Aussie was dating a crown prince and boom the bond was formed. It's almost like Aussie's were invited to be friends of this couple watching the romance blossom.

Also Queen Noor is an American and I really never knew of her and her connection to the Jordan RF until I became a member here. Since becoming aware of her I have seen her on Larry King and I was even watching a travel show once that mentioned her. But otherwise in my perception Queen Noor hasn't really captured the attention of Americans. But there could be some other issues as to why she hasn't also.

Maybe getting the Americans attention is hard to get and keep. :lol:

Last edited:
I think the comparison with Grace Kelly is interesting but somehow a bit in the apples vs oranges here. When Grace married 'into' Monaco, she was on top of the world literally, as a bona fide movie star. Everyone knew who she was already. It would be akin if, say, Nicole Kidman or Jennifer Lopez had landed themselves a European crown prince.

I think Mary is more comparable in more ways than one, to Silvia Sommerlath of Germany. The current queen of Swedes was a cute 'nobody' working at the Munich (I think) olympics when she caught the eye of the young Swedish king. The two quickly became an item.

Mary also met her husband within the Olympic realm, she was also a 'private citizen' with no royal ties whatsoever to speak of, and she was also a presentable, sophisticated brunette with an air of decency about her.

Back to Silvia for a sec, does anyone know if the Germans were particular Silvia-minded in the first early years of her marriage to Carl Gustaf? Did they have and display the equivalent of 'mateship' vis a vis Silvia? I get the impression they <are> very fond of her, but unlike what seems to be the case re. Mary, the Germans re. Silvia seemed to feel and display less, well, pride, of Silvia's origins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom