What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UserDane said:
I do not see Mary's 'fans' as people who want to give the impression that Mary is loved globally. For me personally - and I suspect that it goes for others too - my reasons for jumping to her defence is that I find that she is given an unusually harsh treatment sometimes. If she's wearing a well-chosen suit, she's often accused of wanting to be a fashion icon, if she looks into the camera many find her attention-seeking, if she doesn't, she's rude. Mathilde wouldn't be considered rude if she didn't look into a camera - or attention-seeking if she did. Why is Mary? It is things like that which annoys me.

Wholeheartedly agree

I'm all for equality among the crown princesses!

Here Here!

"MII"

As always UserDane ANOTHER OUTSTANDING POST. I just want to state that I like Mary but am not like OHHH PRINCESS MARY kind of person. And I most definitely feel the need to say something when the girl is being vilified for things on any given day, I am sure most of us have done.

Last edited:
UserDane said:

I will be satisfied the day Mary can walk off a plane looking like s*** and wearing some good awful trousers - and not being grilled for it on the internet.

I don't think they would ever allow her to dress like that but it certainly would be a nice change if she could get away with wearing an outfit like that!

I must say that I've really begun to like Mary. She seems to be doing fine and an attractive newcomer to the Danish royals.
I agree that Mary is sometimes judged more severely and it seems to me more aggressively than the other CPs. People seem to judge and question her character more than, say, Maxima's or Mette-Marit's. I really don't see why. She hasn't made any big mistakes. She's doing fine.

My opinion is that Mary has lately been working alot harder than Frederik at her job.

Toledo said:
Mary, Letizia and Maxima are works in progress and maybe Mathilde is the finished product? ;)
I think this has more to do with the background Mathilde had versus those of the other crown princesses. I do agree that Mary is relatively new and so she is criticized more often..

mary as be working to hard , frederik should do some work now.
billie-jo

Maybe His Royal Highness does a lot of his work behind the scenes and out of the public glare in order to give the spotlight to his Crown Princess

No, I don't think it is entirely that. Mary has been working hard at her charities and attending functions and Frederik has been quite enjoying himself.

I also think that at times Mary gets more harsh criticism than do other Crown Princesses. One argument that I've heard countless times is that she's a "fashion princess" and wants to grace the covers of Vogue instead of doing real hard work like other princesses. Mary did those covers over two years ago and most likely under the direction of her PR advisors. Have you seen Mary do a cover and an interview recently? Have you seen her at a fashion show recently? I find these arguments tedious and redundant. She was settling into her new role as princess and was under the advice of her advisors. Let's say they wanted her to do magazine covers and Mary refused, people would say that Mary's stubborn and doesn't listen to her advisors etc. etc. I think people should try to see Mary for what she is now instead of hashing up news from a couple years ago. As for the "budget crisis", Mary shares the money with Frederick. So I don't think Mary should get all the criticism on that issue.

Last edited:
UserDane said:
Alexandria, thanks for your interesting post...
Bravo.......UserDane! Another fantasitc post! I really admire for your guts and your honestly! Well done! :)

I agree with you completely!

Amen

Last edited:
soCal girl said:
One argument that I've heard countless times is that she's a "fashion princess" and wants to grace the covers of Vogue instead of doing real hard work like other princesses.

I have heard that argument as well but there isn't anything wrong with living up to the lifestyle of a princess so I don't pay much attention when people mention it. She has sacrificed nearly everything in her life to attain her rank and has earned the right to do whatever she feels like doing (or not doing). She's gorgeous and the next Queen of Denmark, why not just pay lower family members or even Alexandra to do the "grunt" work?

we have to be honest: sometimes it seems like Mary does more work than Fred and it's one of the reasons she's so popular: she seems to be filling for her hubby when he's "not able" to do his royal duties like KCG's birthday.

I am not saying that's true, but that's the impression the couple gives...

Mary did those covers over two years ago and most likely under the direction of her PR advisors.

Actually it will be two years in December when that issue of Vogue came to the newsstands. Mary and Frederik have just barely been married two years. How do you know it was her PR advisors who told her to pose for Vogue? To me it sounds a bit odd to suggest that a royal was told to pose for a fashion magazine by their PR person.

jmj21983 said:
To me it sounds a bit odd to suggest that a royal was told to pose for a fashion magazine by their PR person.

Why does it seem odd? That's what PR agents do.
Whatever Mary does, im sure it has to get approval and direction from someone. Im sure someone is telling her what to do, what is accepted and what isnt.

Last edited:
jmj21983 said:
Actually it will be two years in December when that issue of Vogue came to the newsstands. Mary and Frederik have just barely been married two years. How do you know it was her PR advisors who told her to pose for Vogue? To me it sounds a bit odd to suggest that a royal was told to pose for a fashion magazine by their PR person.

Thank you for clarifying the dates. I doubt Mary would have been able to pose for Vogue if she had not been granted permission by her advisors to do so. Mary most likely does not have full control over big public actions now. She is part of the Danish Royal Family so the agreement to do Vogue would not have solely been Mary's decision.

*Australian, I didn't see your post before I posted mine! :D

I strongly doubt HRH the Crown Princess would have participated in the interview and photo shoot if it didn't have the approval or backing of HM the Queen.

"MII"

I don't know how the danish court is organised. But the dutch Queen based much of her court, staffmeetings etc on the danish model (she visited the court several times before she became Queen, to get ideas how to reorganise the dutch court). In The Netherlands the Queen meets with her advisors at least once a week, usually attended by the crownprince and the princess of Orange. During these meetings they discuss the agenda and bigger issues, like future causes and how to present them to the media.

To me it seems highly unlikely that Mary just did the Vogue thing on her own, instead I assume that they discussed the matter at the palace, with the Queen, advisors etc, and when they decided that Mary would support Danish fashion, the advisors (and maybe Mary) thought of a way to promote the cause, by some photoshoots. All this must have been discussed at such a meeting and I believe the Queen has to give her approval on ALL public things her family does.

UserDane said:
Alexandria, thanks for your interesting post...
I have just tuned in again and totally agree with you, good onya for making those points UserDane. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hy does it seem odd? That's what PR agents do.
Whatever Mary does, im sure it has to get approval and direction from someone. Im sure someone is telling her what to do, what is accepted and what isnt.

I'm not suggesting Mary did the photoshoot behind anyone's back or anything like that, I just think it would be strange if a PR person told her something like "You should pose for an Australian fashion magazine."

jmj21983 said:
I'm not suggesting Mary did the photoshoot behind anyone's back or anything like that, I just think it would be strange if a PR person told her something like "You should pose for an Australian fashion magazine."

What's wrong with that though?

Nothing wrong, it just seems like the type of advice you would give to an actress or a model, not royalty. I always thought Mary was approached by Australian Vogue to do a cover story, Mary liked the idea and asked her staff/PR people if it was okay and they agreed.

HRH isnt the only royal to have been involved with Vogue or any gloss mag for that matter so I have always found it odd that so many people find it worthy of criticizing (not directed at any one person).

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
HRH isnt the only royal to have been involved with Vogue or any gloss mag for that matter so I have always found it odd that so many people find it worthy of criticizing (not directed at any one person).

"MII"

Excellent point! I totally forgot about the Vanity Fair picture spread about the young Royals. Of course its totally different cause its Mary vs everyone else :)

Speaking of this Vogue article, does anyone have a link on where I can find it. I would love to read it since people are still talking about it two years later.

Margrethe II said:

"MII"

Princess Caroline was on the cover of Vogue. and i believe she did a shoot for them as well.

and Grace was always on those types of magazines. so monaco's royal family has always been in them, but no one minds because they are so beautiful and glam.

Well, I can only speak for myself and say I'm not really criticizing Mary for posing for Vogue, I just think it would have been better if she'd done it after a few years as a princess. That way she could've gotten to talk about some of her duties and patronages as crown princess. I just believe that doing the Vogue shoot so early on as a princess showed that she was indulging in the glamorous side of being a royal before getting some real hard work done, even though I'm sure that's not her intention.

jmj21983 said:
Well, I can only speak for myself and say I'm not really criticizing Mary for posing for Vogue, I just think it would have been better if she'd done it after a few years as a princess. That way she could've gotten to talk about some of her duties and patronages as crown princess. I just believe that doing the Vogue shoot so early on as a princess showed that she was indulging in the glamorous side of being a royal before getting some real hard work done, even though I'm sure that's not her intention.

I respect your viewpoint but I think she did it early on in her marriage in order to make it as a debut for her, to introduce her to the world.

Last edited:
I respect yours as well:) I thought she was already introduced to the world by her wedding day.

Zonk1189 said:
Speaking of this Vogue article, does anyone have a link on where I can find it. I would love to read it since people are still talking about it two years later.
Yes I'd love to see it too ... hopefully they'll let her do more of them soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom