Zara Phillips & Mike Tindall's Wedding: July 30, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the clarification. So I imagine in this scenario you're working with the basic design and customizing it to your own individual taste. Perhaps the dress was originally strapless, for example, or existing straps a different fabric and replaced; maybe the bodice and waist were a different pattern. I believe the article did say the designer came up with a design that worked with Zara's athleticism. I don't know if that offset hem was originally a feature of the dress, but I wish that was eliminated and maybe a scalloped edge added. Well, as they say in Italian, "Tutti i frutti sono gusti." Each to her own taste!

The bride's gown, was very nice, but not "designer quality". Which is fine, if she didn't pay a designer. I have seen many more spectacular gowns at weddings I have attended, which were, ordered (bespoke) and made to order for their particular figure. If a designer had any part in this, trhey should have know that the straps on the gown were not compatible with her arm structure. Most wedding gowns here, are ordered, from pre-designed samples, but always are fitted to the bride.

As for black at a wedding. Also, very popular here, with black and white weddings. All these old fashioned thoughts are gone.

Last question, where was Tim Laurence???

I thought I saw tim Lawrence in the same vehicle as Anne. It was him Anne and a woman in a blue dress I believe. Ge sort of flew under the radar but I did see him.

Thank you for the clarification. So I imagine in this scenario you're working with the basic design and customizing it to your own individual taste. Perhaps the dress was originally strapless, for example, or existing straps a different fabric and replaced; maybe the bodice and waist were a different pattern. I believe the article did say the designer came up with a design that worked with Zara's athleticism. I don't know if that offset hem was originally a feature of the dress, but I wish that was eliminated and maybe a scalloped edge added. Well, as they say in Italian, "Tutti i frutti sono gusti." Each to her own taste!

Yes- a basic design that can be modified and then is made from scratch.

I went the route of having lots of modifications done on a pre designed and premade dress, but Zara surely had enough time to have her dress custom made, even if she chose not to have it custom designed. I have read references to her picking out the dress, so it was surely from the designers stock designs. They did mention that the sleeves were added.

Whether a dress is custom designed or not, a designer or even a sales person is always available to advise you. I personally don't think the dress was flattering. She is exceptionally pretty and the dress did not highlight her regal beauty. I think they went too far in deciding to have a "no fuss" wedding. The designer or even the sales person could have guided her towards something better suited for her frame and figure.

My thoughts:
Princess Anne looked way better than I thought she would. She looked appropriate and the color was nice on her along with the cut.
Beatrice & Eugenie looked good also, much better than that William & Catherine's wedding, in fact, I quite liked Beatrice's blue skirt.
Catherine & the Queen looked the best. I love the jacket that Catherine recycled and the Queen's outfit was bright & sunny and her smile was wonderful.
Zara's makeup, hair and tiara were stunning, but for me, from the neck down was a big let down for me. I didn't care for the dress, it looked as if it was definately off the rack and not stitched well. The design was a bit plain and not very imaginative, which I actually like about Zara.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Fascinator and Princess Gertrude, I agree with you both about the gown. I was disappointed that it didn't have the flair or flattering fit to it that one would expect a designer gown to have. But perhaps Zara was adamant in what she wanted and maybe no amount of advice had any effect on what she envisioned for herself. She is known as a headstrong young woman, after all.

Fascinator and Princess Gertrude, I agree with you both about the gown. I was disappointed that it didn't have the flair or flattering fit to it that one would expect a designer gown to have. But perhaps Zara was adamant in what she wanted and maybe no amount of advice had any effect on what she envisioned for herself. She is known as a headstrong young woman, after all.
Oh, I don't disagree with you one bit, I think that Zara wanted something understated and was probably very vocal about that. I definately didn't expect anything frilly from Zara that's for sure, but I would have liked to have seen something crisp and clean and well made, which I don't think this gown was.

I just saw a very good close up of the gown. It was not well made. The bottom is atrocious. Looks like a school project. She is lovely. Usually, well dressed. Not for the wedding. Too bad, those pictures will endure forever.

I just don't like the wedding dress. I have been looking at all the pictures and it is just so plain and those tulle sleeves just don't go. I just think she could have looked so much better in a nicer dress. The top part doesn't hang properly and the hem just looks like they ran out of material. I have seen off the peg dresses fit just as well as designer ones it depends on the seamstress. Her makeup was lovely, loved the hair and tiara and I liked the flowers. Hated the bridesmaids way too underwhelming and they just don't look right for bridesmaids dresses. Don't know why she went for white bridesmaids dresses. Princess Anne would have looked better without the granny's jacket I would have like just to see the dress. I agree it is time for a new hairstyle there comes a time when long hair no longer goes well with a women's age. I never saw Eugenie's bow until today guess she takes after Fergie with that! It looked better from the front, I think both girls did a better job then the last wedding. Bea needs to workout how to streamline her outfits a bit better she tends to like they way too fussy and that hat was just sad! I don't think poor Catherine can do anything right for some and this is exactly what happened with Diana. She can't win if she wears something old or new. I loved the hat made a change for her and showed some adventure which needed to be there with that beige. Looks like it was one heck of a party and no one got any sleep except for the older members of the family. I love Prince Harry his jeans and shirt haven't even been ironed! LOL It does follow tradition for me because i never like her mothers dress either! LOL

It's a day later and I like the gown more. However, I agree with others: it should have been better fitted and the shoulders redone in a flattering way.

In some ways, it reminds me of a medieval or Renassaince costume with the dropped waist, contrasting ribbon on the bottom hem and pleating. From what little I know about Zara, she seems to have a sense of humor, so perhaps her particular choice this dress was a subtle wink at people's expectations for theatrics and the fanfare that royal weddings get.

Countess, where'd you find the close-ups of the wedding dress?

Thanks for the clarification on the dress, now the articles make more sense!

I may have overstated my point. Sometimes, when chatting online, there's a tendency to make a point far more emphatically than one actually means.

Yes, the dress could have been more flattering, but I still think she looked absolutely beautiful. In a choice between something avant garde and imaginative vs. a dress that is unquestionably pretty, I think she made the right choice from the moment she picked a designer. She was relaxed and happy and I think that is infinitely more important than making a fashion statement.

I'm very happy for the two of them and very happy that she appears to be at peace with herself and individuality and does not mistake a wedding as the occasion to childishly assert her "identity". She is simply a bride who is comfortable with her body and who simply wants to look beautiful on her wedding day.

I haven't see the pictures where her dress appears to be poorly made. Can anyone please share a link?

Last edited:
Aren't off the rack wedding dresses usually a size or two bigger and than they are taken in to accomodate the bride. That's how it works at David's Bridal in the States.

I thought it was a lovely gown I actually like the bottom of the dress...though I say that more care should have been taken with it...it looked kind of dirty after walking. I also like the sleeves.....I just think that they could have been adjusted better...the width made wider to accomodate Zara's gown.

But really...if you have that smile, that tiara and the love of a good man...does it really matter?

Zara and Mike's happiness really shone through and she liked the dress. I hope they have a long and happy marriage. And yes normally even off the rack ones have several fittings after being bought. The sleeves just didn't work with the dress to me, it looked like they could be taken off.

Well according to the Daily Mail (I know grain of salt grain of salt)....a good time was had by all who stayed.
--------------------------------

Even by their own spectacular standards, it was one heck of a party.
After a night of hard-drinking revelry with their wedding guests, Mike Tindall and his royal bride Zara Phillips did not arrive back at their suite in the Palace of Holyroodhouse until 2pm yesterday.
While Zara had managed to change into her favourite flip-flops, skinny jeans and a baggy linen top, Tindall was still wearing his morning suit and had clearly not been to bed.

Well according to the Daily Mail (I know grain of salt grain of salt)....a good time was had by all who stayed.
--------------------------------

Even by their own spectacular standards, it was one heck of a party.
After a night of hard-drinking revelry with their wedding guests, Mike Tindall and his royal bride Zara Phillips did not arrive back at their suite in the Palace of Holyroodhouse until 2pm yesterday.
While Zara had managed to change into her favourite flip-flops, skinny jeans and a baggy linen top, Tindall was still wearing his morning suit and had clearly not been to bed.

Is it just me, or does everyone look rather exhausted? Beatrice and Eugenie are making me think they're ready to drop, rather than be driving or traveling anywhere. Edward and Sophie appear like they could use more sleep as well. Must've been one heck of a party :dizzy:.

I understand what you meant, Fascinator. Zara did indeed look beautiful and luminous, and no one wants to risk a possible fashion fiasco on their special day even if they're normally imaginative or avant garde in their choices. So, indeed, she did make a good selection. By flair, I was referring to lace or maybe needlework on the dress. But that wasn't her choice; what she did choose emulated her lifestyle and outlook. In the end, nothing could be more important than witnessing her joy and happiness on her wedding day. While the gown might not have been up to many expectations, in the end all that matters is a loving and successful marriage which hopefully Zara and Mike will have. By the look of this couple, it looks like they will.

I understand what you meant, Fascinator. Zara did indeed look beautiful and luminous, and no one wants to risk a possible fashion fiasco on their special day even if they're normally imaginative or avant garde in their choices. So, indeed, she did make a good selection. By flair, I was referring to lace or maybe needlework on the dress. But that wasn't her choice; what she did choose emulated her lifestyle and outlook. In the end, nothing could be more important than witnessing her joy and happiness on her wedding day. While the gown might not have been up to many expectations, in the end all that matters is a loving and successful marriage which hopefully Zara and Mike will have. By the look of this couple, it looks like they will.

yes yes yes :)

True, but I was actually referring to the other posters with whom I was chatting where we were sharing common opinions. I'll make sure I'll cite them in my post under similar circumstances next time.

Last edited:
OK, one thing I haven't seen addressed here is what was hanging on Zara's ears? Looks like Duchess of Cambridge earrings to me....something borrowed perhaps?

OK, one thing I haven't seen addressed here is what was hanging on Zara's ears? Looks like Duchess of Cambridge earrings to me....something borrowed perhaps?

There is a photo further up in the thread showing Anne wearing them when she was younger

Hm interesting no sign of the Cambridges this morning. I wonder if they stayed longer then everyone else at the house.

Why it is assumed so often on this forum that if one dislikes a gown that one must dislike it because it's not cutting edge? That is not always the case, and it's ridiculous to say so. I like Zara's gown, but not on her. It makes her waist look fat and her arms lumpy. It doesn't suit her figure at all. On another bride, it would look elegant, on her it looks matronly.

Have you ever seen "Say Yes to the Dress"? Most the wedding gowns on there are...typical, usual, not statements...but the bride makes the bland, boring dress stand out, become dramatic and amazing, by how well it fits her body type. (Of course, there are brides who get the best of both worlds: the dress that not only suits one's body type but is also a haute couture type gown, but those brides are few and far between.)

:previous: Thanks.:flowers:
So the Silver Stick in waiting is a body guard to the Queen, I hope he is not too old for the job:lol:

I think its funny that the Queens daughter-in-law's ex-husband is so close to the Queen that he probably see's more of her than Camilla!
(due to schedules I mean):ROFLMAO:

*But its nice to hear he is so well positioned, the Man deserves to be respected IMO:)

Why it is assumed so often on this forum that if one dislikes a gown that one must dislike it because it's not cutting edge?

I wonder, do you sleep with your boxing gloves on? :boxing:

If there is a false choice (flattering vs. avant garde) in her posting, it came from me. Baroness was just responding to something I had written:
Yes, the dress could have been more flattering, but I still think she looked absolutely beautiful. In a choice between something avant garde and imaginative vs. a dress that is unquestionably pretty, I think she made the right choice from the moment she picked a designer. She was relaxed and happy and I think that is infinitely more important than making a fashion statement.

I`m glad for zara and mike...i always think that are a good couple and zara is beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom