The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

I am quite sure I remember years ago reading that Queen Margrethe had a great deal of input and influence into the details of the wedding including the flowers and colours for the bridesmaids and so it would not surprise me if she suggested or agreed to Zadok The Priest for the bride's entrance.
I can only think of a very tenuous reason for using the piece and that is the fact that the British monarch is also the monarch of Tasmania.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Gentry

I agree The Prince of Denmark's March would have been a better choice for Mary but it was composed by an Englishman, Jeremiah Clarke and the "Prince of Denmark" in this case was Prince George, husband to Queen Anne of Britain so it too has strong connections to the BRF.[/QUOTE]

The 'Prince of Denmark's March' is also known as 'Trumpet Voluntary.' It was the processional music for Charles and Diana's wedding. If that had been used, Mary's detractors would probably have accused her of 'channeling' Diana.

OTOH, it could have been used at the entrance of Frederik and Joachim, but there was some sort of fanfare piece played at that time. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Frederik had the piece commissioned especially for the occasion.

As a church organist, I've played for more weddings than I care to remember. People's tastes tend to run wild when choosing wedding music. Maybe F&M just liked 'Zadok' as a lovely piece of music. It's certainly meant to be played at grand events.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I am quite sure I remember years ago reading that Queen Margrethe had a great deal of input and influence into the details of the wedding including the flowers and colours for the bridesmaids and so it would not surprise me if she suggested or agreed to Zadok The Priest for the bride's entrance.
I can only think of a very tenuous reason for using the piece and that is the fact that the British monarch is also the monarch of Tasmania.
And what if Queen M/and/or Mary and/or Frederik just happend to like it and suggested it...?? Or someone else. Without any ulterior motive.

I'm sure Queen M had lots of input into the details of the wedding.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Courtier

Usually though music is picked at royal weddings to invoke a certain mood and symbolism.
If Mary just liked the music that's fine but I can't help but think a lot of thought and planning went into the wedding of the Crown Prince of Denmark and to use a British coronation anthem as your wedding music again seems an odd choice to me.

Charles and Diana did use The Prince of Denmark's March but its an English composition and written for the British royal family.

Prince Charles is a patrilineal descendent of King Christian IX of Denmark so it was a nod to Charles father, the Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have never quite understood all the fuss regarding this. Yes, it is a hymn that is very important to the BRF, I don't deny that, but the BRF hardly have patent on it? It's, however, not sacred to the DRF or the Danes and I would scarcely say that Frederik and Mary appropriated British royal history by using it – rather, they showed appreciation for the incredibly beautiful piece of music that Zadok the Priest is. It was interesting to hear it in other surroundings, so to speak.

Though I did think it was an odd choice for a bridal entrance – and prefer it as a coronation anthem as well, I also think it worked really well at their wedding. Zadok the Priest is a magnificent piece of music. And I loved that Mary and her father reached QMII and Frederik (and the rest of the royals – including a few Queens) just in time for the 'God Save the Queen'.

I, for one, am glad that neither they nor William and Catherine chose The Prince of Denmark's March. It's very tied to Diana and MF no doubt would have run into copying rumours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Not to mention the fact that Mary's parents are Scottish.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Courtier

The acclamations "Vivat Rex " or "Vivat Regina" with which the King's or Queen's Scholars of Westminster School have traditionally greeted the entrance of the monarch since the coronation of King James II in 1685 are only used with the reigning sovereign.

Not quite. Queen consorts, preceeding their husbands at the entrance, are also acclaimed with these "Vivat!" shouts, such as happened at the coronations from 1911 ("Vivat Regina Maria!") or 1937 when the current Queen´s mother was crowned along her husband George VI. just as Catherine will be greeted at William´s coronation with "Vivat Regina Catharina!"
Old 08-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Archduchess Zelia;1697484]I have never quite understood all the fuss regarding this. Yes, it is a hymn that is very important to the BRF, I don't deny that, but the BRF hardly have patent on it? It's, however, not sacred to the DRF or the Danes and I would scarcely say that Frederik and Mary appropriated British royal history by using it – rather, they showed appreciation for the incredibly beautiful piece of music that Zadok the Priest is. It was interesting to hear it in other surroundings, so to speak.

Though I did think it was an odd choice for a bridal entrance – and prefer it as a coronation anthem as well, I also think it worked really well at their wedding. Zadok the Priest is a magnificent piece of music. And I loved that Mary and her father reached QMII and Frederik (and the rest of the royals – including a few Queens) just in time for the 'God Save the Queen'.

No, they don´t have a patent on it, and I think it should be used at any function appropriate! But the lyrics of this piece of music are about the hallowing and anointing of a monarch only and nothing else.
There´s not a single occasion on the whole planet that would come to my mind it is fitting except a british coronation simply because all the other monarchies chose to abandon it (may be with a second exception, and that would be the blessing of the norwegian monarch, who´s blessed by a bishop at the ceremony that once replaced the coronation).
Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Courtier

A nice video mash up

Old 08-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Slightly off-topic, but I am reminded that Crown Princess Victoria walked down the aisle to the Duke of Gloucester's March and the Prince of Denmark's March is very popular for British brides (my parents had it at their wedding). So maybe through all this it is indeed just a nice, grand piece of music perfect for a bride's entrance.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Gentry

A random thought: if 'The Prince of Denmark's March' was a nod to the Danish ancestry of the Charles' father, 'Zadok' could be taken as recognition of Frederik's ancestor, Queen Victoria. Mary has ties to Scotland and Australia, so there is an English connection for her, too.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Courtier

If the Dane's want to use British anthems for their wedding that's fine but Zadok the Priest is performed during the sovereign's anointing, the most sacred part of the religious service. The words come from the King James Bible and were altered to suit Mary and or Frederick. Not a good showing if you ask me.

The Prince of Denmark's March is thoroughly English, composed by an Englishman for the husband of Queen Anne.

Both pieces are forever linked to the BRF.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing HereditaryPrincess.

I agree The Prince of Denmark's March would have been a better choice for Mary but it was composed by an Englishman, Jeremiah Clarke and the "Prince of Denmark" in this case was Prince George, husband to Queen Anne of Britain so it too has strong connections to the BRF.
You are welcome. I didn't realise that it was written for Prince George of Denmark and Queen Anne, but then again I don't know a lot about that particular time in royal history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
A random thought: if 'The Prince of Denmark's March' was a nod to the Danish ancestry of the Charles' father, 'Zadok' could be taken as recognition of Frederik's ancestor, Queen Victoria. Mary has ties to Scotland and Australia, so there is an English connection for her, too.
You've raised a good point - I'd forgotten about Frederik being an ancestor of Queen Victoria. Now I have a better understanding of why Zadok The Priest was chosen for their wedding - so not it's not a totally strange choice then.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post

But Queen Victoria wasn´t a priest, wasn´t she?! If that was the reason they could have taken any other piece of british music fitting for a wedding.
Yes, Mary has a scottish connection. But still the lyrics are about the concecration and hallowing of a monarch...
I believe they simply chose it because they like it and the wedding might have been their only chance during their lifetime to play such a piece of music. I also loved hearing it at the ceremony just because I like the piece. But when I think of it I must confess it really has nothing to do with a wedding.

When it comes to this "Prince of Denmark" ("Trumpet the voluntary") march I say, well, it´s just a march. A march is much more neutral than an anointing hymn, isn´t it?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Gentry

When it comes to this "Prince of Denmark" ("Trumpet the voluntary") march I say, well, it´s just a march. A march is much more neutral than an anointing hymn, isn´t it?[/QUOTE]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed. The appropriateness (or lack thereof) of wedding music is something organists deal with regularly. If you want to talk inappropriate, Wagner's ''Bridal Chorus'' (popular in the U.S., don't know about other countries) is part of his opera ''Lohengrin'' and sung as the guests accompany the newly married couple to the bridal chamber. Charming, huh? When you mention that to prospective brides, they usually change their mind. The ''Wedding March'' from ''A Midsummer Night's Dream'' by Mendelssohn is often used for the recessional. It's interesting to me that these two pieces are often paired; Wagner was an anti-Semite and Mendelssohn was born Jewish.

More recently, brides have requested Pachelbel's ''Canon in D'' as a processional. That's one of my favorite pieces of music, but as a processional, it doesn't work so well. I much prefer the British custom of using hymns. Princess Elizabeth (later QEII) used ''Praise My Soul, the King of Heaven.'' I believe Princess Anne used ''Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken'' but I'd have to look it up. If that is what was used, it's Haydn's ''Austrian Hymn'' which is also used for the German national anthem. We could go on all day!!!

I'm just happy when couples choose sacred music for a church wedding - that's as it should be. F&M had two wonderful hymns in their ceremony: ''Eternal Father, Strong to Save'' and ''Now Thank We All Our God.'' Both of them were good choices.

Sorry this post got so long, but this is a great thread. Thank you for letting me have my say.