Interview with Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima: April 17, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Nl-arms.gif

Welcome to the thread to discuss the interview of the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima that will be broadcasted on April 17th by the NOS and RTL.

The prince says that he doesn't care how people will adress him in the future 'I am not a protocol fetishist' he says in the interview that will be broadcasted on wednesday. Thus implying that his mother actually is a protocol fetishist, as she wanted to be adressed as 'Majesty'. The princess added: 'Everybody calls me 'Máxima', in the end, queen or princess, it doesn't matter. It is more about what we represent than about the title'.

Prins: 'Mensen mogen me aanspreken zoals ze willen' - Nederland - TROUW

I am sure this will be applauded by the press & most of the public, but I would have preferred it if they would have sticked to 'Majesty'.

Last edited:
The prince says that he doesn't care how people will adress him in the future 'I am not a protocol fetishist' he says in the interview that will be broadcasted on wednesday. Thus implying actually that his mother is a protocol fetishist, as she wanted to be adressed as 'Majesty'. The princess added: 'Everybody calls me 'Máxima', in the end, queen or princess, it doesn't matter. It is more about what we represent than about the title'.

Prins: 'Mensen mogen me aanspreken zoals ze willen' - Nederland - TROUW

I am sure this will be applaused by the press & most of the public, but I would have preferred it if they would have sticked to 'Majesty'.

I feel the same.I can understand where he comes from,but I always applauded the way his mother had returned to protocol too.Mind you,that was a different time alltogether as we all know.Each time might ask for a different approach,but I for one wouldn't wish for this in his case,and certainly not in these days of multiple bubbled-up hypes and other total nonsense that only seems as all important as someones next mental incontinence

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont like royals going too much liberal. I actually hate Juliana for all the bicycle image and support Beatrix for going back to protocol.
But come on, royals should be royals. You should have a special status, and you should command it. If you just want to be called and treated as another Tom, Dick and Harry, whats the point of all this hoopla in the first place..
I dont see any relevance in them being interviewed how they would like to be addressed, and they giving this "modern-royal" image. It is just protocol and they have to go by that. You dont have to spell out anything. The palace will do it, those who wanna follow will follow others will refrain. Why do you wanna go too much out of way to endear people your liberal ideas..
If you are not "protocol fetish", be prepared to be greeted in some very informal slang of "heya fella watsup" and slapped on your back..

Last edited:
I am waiting forward to this interview. And completely agree with the rest of you concerning the Majesty styling.

I really like the argument they use: the comfort of the people. So they want the people to feel comfortable. I think most people will adress them as your majesty because they feel comfortable with that.

Any idea whether we will be able to watch this interview online?

I really like the argument they use: the comfort of the people. So they want the people to feel comfortable. I think most people will adress them as your majesty because they feel comfortable with that.

True!!No-one would or will feel more comfortable other then to go by that instead of hey Alex!...

@ Charlotte-Aster,Dutch NOS will air it and you can follow it here too:

NOS - Koningshuis

Will ZDF or any German TV air the interview?

Will ZDF or any German TV air the interview?
No. Nothing known yet. Perhaps ARD will have same snippets of the Interview in the Livebroadcast on 30.04. as they usually have several short clips when nothing important is happening.

I can't ever imagine going to Buckingham Palace and going, Hey Liz hows things? :ROFLMAO:

I am with everyone else on this. When you become King, use the style that goes with it. It has something to do with showing respect towards the position. You can't have it both ways here, and many examples show that you can be close to the people as 'Majesty'. No need to become Willem to achieve this.

I can't ever imagine going to Buckingham Palace and going, Hey Liz hows things? :ROFLMAO:

The day that really happens, I am going to block the entire sites, leave alone news/articles, that contain the words royal/king/queen from my browser..

Elizabeth would never do it, but I can see Charles or William giving interviews. Wilhelm is very forward thinking with the 'personable' approach but he is a King, there's no escaping that and if he wants to hide behind people referring to him as 'Alex' then maybe his mum shouldn't leave.

Well if this is WA's approach the monarchy he would seem to be harking back to the days of his grandmother Juliana who preferred a much more informal approach to her role and not the more formal HM & protocol style of Beatrix.

No. Nothing known yet. Perhaps ARD will have same snippets of the Interview in the Livebroadcast on 30.04. as they usually have several short clips when nothing important is happening.

No Stefan,ARD will air all day all ceremonies starting at the Palace at 10.00AM.Dutch,THE Dutch royalty expert Reinildis van Ditzhuysen will comment for ARD all day.So that's great as opposed to these really irritating know-nothing people & presenters and their know-even-less usual crowd of "experts" at the ZDF for Royal related events.:flowers:

Last edited:
No Stefan,ARD will air all day all ceremonies starting at the Palace at 10.00AM.Dutch,THE Dutch royalty expert Reinildis van Ditzhuysen will comment for ARD all day.So that's great as opposed to these really irritating know-nothing people & presenters and their know-even-less usual crowd of "experts" at the ZDF for Royal related events.:flowers:
I know but madrid was asking if the Interview on 17.04. will be broadcasted on german TV.
So Reinilids van Ditzhuysen has switched channels as on earlier occasions she was the dutch royal Expert on ZDF.

But then a promo is a promo and meant as a teaser...and that worked...grin...Maybe if we hear W-A's sentence in the entire context we still get a "oh yeah,ofcourse" feel afterall...We'll know in 24 hours..:)

But then a promo is a promo and meant as a teaser...and that worked...grin...Maybe if we hear W-A's sentence in the entire context we still get a "oh yeah,ofcourse" feel afterall...We'll know in 24 hours..:)
See agreeing with the person and agreeing the idea are two different things.
At this moment we will automatically agree to whatever W-A says, because it is their moment. And we will obviously say people telling "yeah, of course"..
And the headline "Not to care for titles, but for the sense of representing them" is very catchy and impressive, as are all liberal things.
But simply the idea of Head of State getting himself called by name is not at all cool.
Hell, no President even gets called by his name..

I think that Máxima not caring for the title, may have been an awnser to a question about the Queen vs. Princess debate. Just the way they edited it in the promo makes it seem that it had to do with the awnser WA gave before. But if you read what she said: 'they just call me Máxima anyway. Queen Princess, it doesn't matter, it is about what we represent', it seems more likely that the question was about her future style. A clever way out since there was some criticism on the use of Queen for her.

I think that Máxima not caring for the title, may have been an awnser to a question about the Queen vs. Princess debate. Just the way they edited it in the promo makes it seem that it had to do with the awnser WA gave before. But if you read what she said: 'they just call me Máxima anyway. Queen Princess, it doesn't matter, it is about what we represent', it seems more likely that the question was about her future style. A clever way out since there was some criticism on the use of Queen for her.

Criticism by those who have no clue how these matters are arranged for since the very beginning of the institution of a Monarchy milennia ago,not by amateur yet considerable experts like us.:flowers:

I am very much looking forward to the whole interview tonight!!:flowers:

A clever way out since there was some criticism on the use of Queen for her.

Was there really criticism? The last consort used the title "Queen" (Emma) right?
In first place why did they change the female consort's title to Princess (for males it will be obviously Prince but thats different) and now why to bring it back to Queen..
I feel all this "constitutional".meddling (even making a Queen back to a Princess:bang:) is pretty unnecessary in something as simple as King and Queen. It hardly affects public perception of royalty.
But then it is again for their people to decide. If its good for them, its good for all..

Was there really criticism? The last consort used the title "Queen" (Emma) right?
In first place why did they change the female consort's title to Princess (for males it will be obviously Prince but thats different) and now why to bring it back to Queen..
I feel all this "constitutional".meddling (even making a Queen back to a Princess:bang:) is pretty unnecessary in something as simple as King and Queen. It hardly affects public perception of royalty.
But then it is again for their people to decide. If its good for them, its good for all..

From some politicians and in some newspapers there was criticism yes. Not only now, but the matter has popped up in the press at regular intervals since the engagement in 2001. Since we had a queen with a prince (consort) for more than a century, people wondered why Máxima would be a queen, while Claus, Bernhard and Hendrik were not. Considering equal rights and such, they do have a point. In Portugal and Spain traditionally the husband of a reigning Queen was styled King (consort).

But it is a debate which never interested most of the public, though many still don't understand why Máxima will be titled queen.

Charlotte_Aster said:
I read somewhere it's at 20.30? Is it true or am I mistaken?

I believe the NOS broadcast starts at 20:25 on Nederland 1, immediately after the 20:00 news. The interview itself will start at 20:30.

Last edited:
From some politicians and in some newspapers there was criticism yes. Not only now, but the matter has popped up in the press at regular intervals since the engagement in 2001. Since we had a queen with a prince (consort) for more than a century, people wondered why Máxima would be a queen, while Claus, Bernhard and Hendrik were not. Considering equal rights and such, they do have a point. In Portugal and Spain traditionally the husband of a reigning Queen was styled King (consort).

But it is a debate which never interested most of the public, though many still don't understand why Máxima will be titled queen.

I believe the NOS broadcast starts at 20:25 on Nederland 1, immediately after the 20:00 news. The interview itself will start at 20:30.

It is aired at both Ned1 & RTL4.Ned1 starting at 20.25PM while RTL4 starts at 20.30PM.:)

Hoping that there will be an English transcript provided at some point!

So is there anyone kind to resume in English what they talked about?

Back
Top Bottom