The Family and Background of the Duchess of Cambridge, the Middletons 1, Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I certainly miss news and current sightings of William and Kate, but I'm also glad that they're enjoying this quiet time away from the spotlight before their lives start to get hectic in the public eye. But I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of Kate shopping at the local Tesco or Waitrose, though! ;)

I think once in a while it's perfectly normal to get a glimpse of Catherine and William doing something 'normal'. I'm going to guess that as the time goes on, we'll be seeing less and less of that, because with the increase in royal duties there's less time to be 'normal'.

I think once in a while it's perfectly normal to get a glimpse of Catherine and William doing something 'normal'. I'm going to guess that as the time goes on, we'll be seeing less and less of that, because with the increase in royal duties there's less time to be 'normal'.

In one respect, I'll be glad to see increased coverage commensurate with their royal duties, but sad to know that their "normal" life will be ending and private moments are few and far in between.

Lose or Loose. Two different meanings, surely Prince Frederik knows better English than that.
As for Carole being new best friends with The Queen I find this very amusing.
The people who write for DM are very creative that is for sure.

You could always delete an o or two. No problem.
But on subject, the story about Carole sounds very far fetched to me. I had my doubts whether she was being welcomed when I saw her in a carriage behind The Queen at the races but then I read later it was a procession of horse owners and as the Middleton's are part owners of a horse they were in this parade and it had nothing to do with the royal connexion although the wave certainly looked as though it had.

I love reading the comments under these articles when the DM write anything regarding the Royal Family. They provide endless hours of entertainment. We can not, however, rely on the DM to provide us with legitimate information, as we all know. Their information is not always "on point", for example they mention the Queen inviting the Middletons in one of the carriages at Ascot as a big deal, when I am sure Sophie's family have been to Ascot several times and her father has ridden in many of the carriages, even when Sophie or Edward aren't in them. The same goes with the Ferguson's and other in-laws; the Queen invites them because they are her children's other families, and it is only polite to invite in-laws to gatherings. Christopher Rhys-Jones is at Sandringham for Christmas pretty much every year and I am sure other families have been included in several events. The Queen is a nice woman who is, no doubt, ensuring her grandson's in-laws feel welcome, but I can't see them coming round for Sunday lunch. I don't doubt she likes Catherine, nor do I doubt that she does not like the Middletons, but I do not think Catherine has "conquered the Queen". I imagine she is a hard woman to "conquer", neither Diana or Sarah managed it.

Someone commented on the article that Catherine had been given the Family Order...I believe this is not true?

Molly2101 said:
Someone commented on the article that Catherine had been given the Family Order...I believe this is not true?

Awards of the Family Order membership are never announced. The only way to tell is to look at pictures from events where the ladies are required to wear any decorations (such as orders, etc) and tiaras. I don't think they have had a chance yet to attend such events yet. Having said that, although it sounds like the Queen really like the Duchess of Cambridge and will most likely award her membership in her Family Order, I suspect it won't happen until at the VERY EARLIEST the end of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, and more likely in a few years from now. I believe it took the Countess of Wessex quite a few years (5 years) to get the Family Order even though she was apparently one of the Queen's favorite daughter-in-law. I think it took about 2 years for the Duchess of Cornwall to receive the Family Order membership, after her marriage to the Prince of Wales.

Last edited:
Yes, Sophie received hers in 2004, just after the birth of Lady Louise. I imagine it took her a few years to receive it because she did not become a full working Royal until 2002, so technically it took her 2 years to receive it, just like Camilla. Also Sophie caused a bit of a stir in her early years (the "Sophie Tapes" etc.) so perhaps the Queen, although a big fan of Sophie, did not feel it appropriate to give it to her sooner. I do think the Queen will give it to Catherine before the Jubilee celebrations, mainly because every other senior female Royal will be wearing one, therefore when she attends banquets and such, she will look a bit "out of place" for want of a better term. I think it would be better, officially, for the Queen to wait a few years or at least until Catherine becomes a working Royal, just like every other wife had to, but who knows what will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's get back on topic....the family, wealth and background of the Duchess of Cambridge.

Well she does have very nice legs and they are a good looking couple. Obviously they will be photographed when attending a public event but I dont think we can expect them to stay home with the curtains drawn back in Berkshire all the time.

Another article on the Middleton family wealth...

How did Pippa Middleton's family make their money? | Mail Online

We look at the background of the Middleton family and the wealth that sent daughters Catherine and Pippa to Malborough College - and set their elder daughter on course for a Royal Wedding.

Although called a 'commoner', Kate Middleton's Royal Wedding earlier this year was hardly a case of Prince and the Pauper. Michael and Carole Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge's parents, could be worth in the region of £30m, according to City analysts.

I think the coats are different; it doesn't seem like the same material. I really like Pippa's hat, though.

I agree. I looked at other pics of Kate from that day. The collar on the coats are different. Kate's coat also has a chevron pattern that Pippa's doesn't, or at least it doesn't look like Pippa's does.

So out of curiosity, what has become of her infamous Uncle? Anyone heard anything?

But I think they were fully aware that the privacy they once had would no longer be. I would think that they were quite aware that once Catherine became the wife of Prince William the media would also pounce on them being they are her siblings. All of this must have been taken into consideration when Catherine decided to marry William. It couldnt have been such a surprise that they were not expecting it. The attention obviously would be on them as well as Catherine since they are family. Everyone is curious about Pippa since she was in the wedding wearing that dress. But people also want to know what she is up to, who she is seeing and what she is doing. James on the other hand hasnt been in the spotlight like his sisters have and therefore is the luckier one. It comes with the territory in my opinion.

It partially comes with the territory, and this is the modern age, but I don't see any other royal brides getting the same attention as Pippa and apparently James although I don't see him with a thread in this forum. They have the right to complain, they're private citizens who don't deserve to be hounded every day of their life.

I think they where aware, about the media interest - BUT first of all - you never know how something will be, till you make that experience; you never can be 'fully aware' beforhand - and that there would be such an ongoing frenzy about Pippa? No one expected that...

Also other Royal brides have siblings - but NON of them came ever so much into the spotlight and media interest for such a long time.

True. You dont know how things will be until it happens but being that it was the Prince that she was marrying dont you think the siblings would have maybe put two and two together. It would certainly have been naive not to think there wouldnt be major media attention that went along with this high profile romance. Im just saying that the Middleton family should have known that their lives were about to change drastically. Media attention would be the norm for them from that time on.

True. You dont know how things will be until it happens but being that it was the Prince that she was marrying dont you think the siblings would have maybe put two and two together. It would certainly have been naive not to think there wouldnt be major media attention that went along with this high profile romance. Im just saying that the Middleton family should have known that their lives were about to change drastically. Media attention would be the norm for them from that time on.

I don't see how they would realise that their youngest daughters behind would put them into the paper. As far as I can tell it's Pippa who's followed to work constantly, she's the one who's in the papers almost every day, in talks for book deals, tv shows etc. It isn't Michael, Carole or James it just seems to be Pippa who's getting the attention all because she was her sisters bridesmaid and apparently her behind photographs well.

There is no reason to accept this media attention when it's unwanted, they're private citizens with nobody but themselves protecting them. Catherine has a whole army to protect her, but that doesn't extend to her family. The families of royal brides, or sisters of royal brides perhaps across Europe even haven't received this amount of attention there is no reason for the Middletons to have 'expected' this, it hasn't happened before.

Perhaps Kate's inaccessibility is the reason for this feeding frenzy with Pippa; the media can't get to Kate easily because of her protection unit so they'll accept Pippa as a substitute. Or maybe it's because she's the sister/sister-in-law of a very popular couple and the spotlight is also shedding some light and attention on her, especially since she's got a book coming out and she's doing the interview rounds. Who knows?

Last edited:
It'll be the same with every party planning company up and down the country, of course they pick on Party Pieces as "cashing in" because of Catherine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom