The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I agree that much criticism of the Middletons is due to the snob factor. No one cashed in more than Charles Spencer, but he never got half the criticism the Middletons contend with.

They had their business years before Kate even met William; why shouldn't they sell the same items other similar businesses offer? (That includes royal venues such as the yacht Brittainia, which offers a huge selection of such things).

And it's true the Middletons get much more press than other in-laws but I base that on two things: they are an attractive family, and William is the future king.
The press isn't going to pursue the Tindalls or the Lawrences.
^^^Excellent points! Had the internet, digital cameras/phones and non-stop media coverage existed three decades ago, then I do believe we'd have seen even more "clickbait" articles about the Spencers and Fergusons. Now everyone can camp out in public spaces to take photos of the Middletons going about their lives and sell them to the press.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, the Middletons will go somewhere eventually, as do we all. Pippa might not be so attractive to paps in her forties or fifties as a married mother and grandmother, James may fade from public view with middle age. People age and are no longer of interest, they die. The monarchy will still endure, hopefully, and I'm holding on to that hope.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

We're all holding out hope the hard working Middletons don't bring down the monarchy

They've been around for well over a decade and William and Kate have been married for 5 years and the monarchy is at an all time high in the polls.

Never mind the abdication crisis, never mind the war of the Wales, never mind Camilla as 'princess consort'. It will be the Middleton family that causes a nation to rise up and storm the palace with pitch forks, all because the pesky Middletons vacation together and are included in family gatherings during the holidays

Her Majesty better pack her bags
Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, the Middletons will go somewhere eventually, as do we all. Pippa might not be so attractive to paps in her forties or fifties as a married mother and grandmother, James may fade from public view with middle age. People age and are no longer of interest, they die. The monarchy will still endure, hopefully, and I'm holding on to that hope.
I'm talking about the Middleton's presence in the Cambridge's lives, because that includes the family appearing together in public and attending some events as a family. This is a very close, loving, and supportive family we're talking about. The medias interest will die out at some point, but that's many years down the line. The Middleton's are the immediate family of the future King and Queen. They're presence will always be there and people shouldn't have any problem with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
We're all holding out hope the hard working Middletons don't bring down the monarchy

They've been around for well over a decade and William and Kate have been married for 5 years and the monarchy is at an all time high in the polls.

Never mind the abdication crisis, never mind the war of the Wales, never mind Camilla as 'princess consort'. It will be the Middleton family that causes a nation to rise up and storm the palace with pitch forks, all because the pesky Middletons vacation together and are included in family gatherings during the holidays

Exactly, lol.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

^ I'm not suggesting there will be a revolt Rudolph, I'm not that idiotic. I'm just hoping for a fading of the media's ever present interest in the Middletons, (who are really not that physically attractive or young or extraordinarily popular) I think it may well happen after Kate's siblings marry, actually. Then the attention can get back to the royals.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness

^^But you won't get it. The media will continue to care about the Middletons because they're pretty normal and connected to royalty. They're the window into the "mystique" of royalty.

However, you must make a differentiation between tabs, like the DM, whose sole purpose seemingly is to tear people down, and responsible media sources who just report on items of interest without any evidence of prodding by the Middletons.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
^ I'm not suggesting there will be a revolt Rudolph, I'm not that idiotic. I'm just hoping for a fading of the media's ever present interest in the Middletons, (who are really not that physically attractive or young or extraordinarily popular) I think it may well happen after Kate's siblings marry, actually. Then the attention can get back to the royals.
The royals will always maintain the media said interest. The British royals are the most famous and respected royal families in the world. The Middleton's don't have an interest in taking the interest from the royals, and it's impossible to do anyway. They're just trying to manage to live they're normal lives with the media on their backs.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

I can see it now. James running around screaming "Let them eat cake!"
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

It would be printed marshmallows in his case.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
When has the attention ever left the royals?

Quote:
What is 'cashing in' though? Making a living? Prince Michael of Kent no doubt gets a boost in his consulting business by being a royal highness and the Queen's cousin, but that doesn't mean he cashes in.

I have no idea if the Middletons business receives a boost or not. I wouldn't be surprised but it doesn't mean they're cashing in
Very true. Are the Queen's own cousins cashing in? Margaret Rhodes wrote a book about her life with the Queen, and Lady Elizabeth Anson has a party planning business and has been interviewed numerous times discussing it (and the royal family). What about Charles and his selling baby items after Charlotte was born? Then we have Mike and Zara with their various ventures and Lady Pamela Hicks and Princess Michael and their books.

It's interesting that the media blasts the Middletons for using their royal connections, but isn't as harsh when it comes to other people close to the royals. I mean, Peter's firm just secured the Queen's birthday street party, yet I've barely seen any accusations of him cashing in.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Serene Highness

But, but all those people you mentioned are aristocratic .... and the Middletons are not, especially Carole. The rabble hate, hate, hate that someone with a coal miner in their background could in some way be connected to the BRF.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the class issue is the problem for some. Some feel like the Middleton's aren't on the same class level as the royals and nobles, so they must stay in their place and not associate with the House of Windsor. The funny part is, the royals could care less about the Middleton's class level. The royal family has welcomed the Middleton's with kindness and grace. It's not only they're Catherine's family, but they're the loving in-laws of the future King.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 01-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I think some people get too caught up in Downton Abbey. This is 2016. Ever noble family in Britain is 'littered' with commoners.

When Pippa was at Edinburgh, she shared a flat with Earl Percy and Lord Innes-Ker. No one clutched their faux pearls or had a fit of the vapours.

Its a non-issue except with a small group of devotees of the Daily Mail
Old 01-22-2016, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Goodness..some of the most noble houses in Europe are 'tainted' with commoners...look at all the marrying to American heiresses that was done 1800 and 1900's.

LaRae
Old 01-22-2016, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

If someone can explain how Zara is using her royal status She is an equestrian and a private citizen who has to pay her way. Her and her husband have their own careers completely separate from the RF.

As for Peter??? He didn't get any criticism because he isn't 'coal miner family' Someone might want to tell people that because I have seen plenty.

The DM article highly hinted at nepotism though it included 'peter insisted' and quotes how he got it. And some of the comments:

Quote:
Nepotism at its worst!! And Fergie with a stall selling curling tongs ??? Have we asked Merkel if this is allowed ???
Quote:
"after putting in 'bid' to Buckingham Palace"....that was chuckle-worthy!!! ...Peter, you got the 'job' because of who your grandmother is!! End of the story!!
Quote:
And of course, the senior staff at the palace were, all along, totally unaware that he worked for this company. Yeah, right!
And dozens more like it. But yeah sure, no criticism, because all critics are snobs. People who criticize nepotism are snobs, and people who criticize Kate are ugly spiteful cat ladies, because there is no other reason.

Lady Anson...again no criticism to be found

Quote:
SPONGERS
Quote:
wasn't she lucky to get that lucrative business going -must have taken skill, talent and hard work -no hang on she was started by the Queen Mother , employed by the Royal family used this to get other jobs. Imagine if you worked for a publicly paid for company and got to employ your relatives to organise parties
And oh yeah Pricess Michael has never been criticized. I mean she has never been referred to as 'Pushy Princess Michael'

Or Charles, is on a pedestal for that matter. Cant touch him. Especially not about the baby items. You know who cares that the money from the products were for the Prince's charity.

Quote:
Charles's charity cashes in on Charlotte:
Quote:
nasty Charley cashing in on his granddaughter , for Charity or not u don't make money on a newborn baby.
Quote:
Sickening that if this was the Middletons doing this, the DM would be screaming in fury. Typical toadying for you DM. But could this profiteering be one of the reasons why William keeps his father and stepmother at a distance?
Charles Spencer

Quote:
I can't stand him. He had the nerve to stand up there and get attention at Diana's funeral but he treated her shabbily before she died. He promised her a cottage to use on the estate but then reneged on it, saying her presence would invade his privacy and bring to many unwanted visitors to the estate. Yet when she died and he had her buried there, he was quite happy to open up the estate to countless visitors to make money off of her. He's disgusting. He even demanded the Spencer family tiara back from her before she died-she was said to be heartbroken. I totally believe these stories-he looks like a huge prat.
Quote:
The brother who wouldn't give his sister sanctuary on the Althorp Estate when she needed it but seems to have plenty to say about her after her death.
But you're right, all criitics are snobs and only care if they are commoner.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

No one had said that they haven't been criticized. What people have stated is that the criticism (especially coming from the media) hasn't been as vocal. There have been tons of articles written about the Middletons and how they're cashing in on their daughter. With the exception of (maybe) Princess Michael, I haven't seen the same type of outrage for the others. The DM commenters seem to hate everyone, so they don't count. I'm talking specifically about the media and royal fans.

As for Zara, she has talked extensively about the royal family while promoting her clothing and other lines. If selling royal related items for their business is considered cashing in by the Middletons, then wouldn't that mean Zara is also cashing in?
Old 01-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Commoner

When it comes to cashing in on royal connections, wouldn't the #1 guilty person be Sarah Ferguson? She beats everyone - Middleton or inside the royal fold - by miles and miles. And there is no end in sight....
Old 01-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
When has the attention ever left the royals?

Very true. Are the Queen's own cousins cashing in? Margaret Rhodes wrote a book about her life with the Queen, and Lady Elizabeth Anson has a party planning business and has been interviewed numerous times discussing it (and the royal family). What about Charles and his selling baby items after Charlotte was born? Then we have Mike and Zara with their various ventures and Lady Pamela Hicks and Princess Michael and their books.

It's interesting that the media blasts the Middletons for using their royal connections, but isn't as harsh when it comes to other people close to the royals. I mean, Peter's firm just secured the Queen's birthday street party, yet I've barely seen any accusations of him cashing in.
Yes, Mike Tindall gets wonderful treatment compared to the Middletons on this site. Let’s look at his behavior.

He gives interviews where he discusses George and talks about texting William and Harry. He makes cocaine jokes on television. He was kicked-off Team England for bad behavior(dwarf throwing and heavy intoxication) and for being caught lying to rugby officials. Footballer Stan Collymore accused Mike and his friends of given him a racially motivated beating in a Dublin pub. Mike had his Boxer’s tail docked, even though that animal mutilation is illegal in the UK. He threatened to beat-up anyone who criticized Zara’s show jumping performance in the 2012 olympics. Sold Mia’s pictures to Hello! magazine for a six-figure sum. Participated on a reality show, The Jump. Drank a pint of urine on television. He has multiple DUI’s, which resulted in a 3-year driving ban. He publicly kissed and fondled his ex a month after he married Zara. Yet, he was never called k-trash. The Middletons have never pulled even 10% of his shenanigans and yet they're used as a punching bag on this site. It's all very curious.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:21 PM
Gentry

The difference to me is that Zara is actually a member of the royal family, the granddaughter of the queen. Sarah is the mother of two princessess, granddaughters of the queen. Mike Tindell is married to the granddaughter of the queen and the father of the queen's great-granddaughter. None of the Middletons have this close connection to the royal family. It is rather odd that James and Pippa are not developing their own lives and families apart from their sister. Both appear to court publicity and use it to try to create "moneymakers". Both have failed, so far, in establishing a viable career.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Royal Highness

Pippa same is dating James Matthews?

Tags
duchess of cambridge, kate, kate middleton, middleton family, prince william, wealth