The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassary View Post
Ghost Night did you also see on ET that they were noting that the Prince of Wales will be giving Highgrove to Prince William and Catherine. It was also reported in Us magazine about the home. I find this to be unbelievable but is this being talked about anywhere else?
Highgrove isn't owned by Charles, its owned by the Duchy of Cornwall. So, it will be William's once he is Duke of Cornwall but is not Charles's to "give" now.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I wish they would choose Susan Boyle to sing in the Curch!
No disrespect to Ms. Boyle, however I think that would be a disaster. She doesn't do well with high pressure and nerves, and this would not be the place to succumb to them.

I think for a service in Westminster with it's fantastic acoustics a seasoned performer with an angelic voice would be perfect. Someone like Hayley Westerna.

HAYLEY WESTENRA: OFFICIAL SITE - WWW.HAYLEYWESTENRA.COM

Old 12-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I just looked at her website and I agree! Her designs are lovely and more modern than the male designer that folks are betting on.
She was odds favorite to be Kate's wedding designer up until the last few days.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton reportedly chooses Bruce Oldfield as wedding dress designer - hellomagazine.com (01/12/2010).
Old 12-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Texankitkat,

Susan Boyle managed perfectly well when she was singing before the Pope !

I think she should sing and represent all the "ordinary" people of Britain.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't think there should be anything in the church other than the church ceremony, wait for the celebrities to show off their talents at the reception, should the couple wish it.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
We don't know that she hasn't. I would not mind betting that she had that sort of thing all sorted in her head before the Engagement was announced and, you can't tell me that any couturier wouldn't kill for the opportunity to design and make THE DRESS!
I have studied Catherine and thought that Pertegaz of Spain would have been definitive for her the design of her gown but alas he is not British.....and outside the playing field.
Following him are Oscar de la Renta and Valentino out of retirement and under extenuating circumstances... to design it....Am I correct in articulating that Catherine will pay for her own gown? Is this not traditionally a gift from the groom in England?
Catherine appears to have a strong personality and she needs a memorable gown.
Whoever is chosen I hope will do justice to this beautiful young bride.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Am I correct in articulating that Catherine will pay for her own gown? Is this not traditionally a gift from the groom in England?
It may well be offered as a gift by the designer. You can't put a price on the publicity surrounding such a high-profile event, and it would be good PR.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Texankitkat,

Susan Boyle managed perfectly well when she was singing before the Pope !

I think she should sing and represent all the "ordinary" people of Britain.
Yes, but the pressure for this will be much greater on a performer at this wedding IF they have one. Susan is lovely, but isn't a seasoned performer as yet and lacks the confidence and complete control of her voice when under extreme pressure. This would be daunting for any performer much less one that was plucked out of no where and is still coping with the fame she has achieved. That's all I am saying.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
I just looked at her website and I agree! Her designs are lovely and more modern than the male designer that folks are betting on.
I looked too and I agree -- very beautiful and elegant.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Elton John,Sting or Tom Jones will be more appropriate to sing at their wedding
Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Serene Highness

I think it is more likely to be Katherine Jenkins. She is Welsh and would be considered appropriate..
Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Katherine Jenkins, Faryl Smith, Susan Boyle, or any vocalist - male or female - who has enough voice and technique for the Abbey, would be good. They may choose some aging rock star, which would disappoint me.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
I think Elton John,Sting or Tom Jones will be more appropriate to sing at their wedding

Dear God no. It's a wedding, not the Grammys.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Katherine Jenkins, Faryl Smith, Susan Boyle, or any vocalist - male or female - who has enough voice and technique for the Abbey, would be good. They may choose some aging rock star, which would disappoint me.
Sorry- I really hope they don't choose these three women either. These three women also sing "crossover" music and not the traditional classical music that we have seen at all previous royal weddings. I don't think Smith or Boyle have enough classical training or experience for an event of this magnitude and Jenkins is a mezzo- most repertoire usually sung at weddings and royal events requires a higher voiced soprano. My husband is a well known Canadian opera singer, so I really do know about these things!

In Britain, I believe the premiere sopranos currently are Ruth Holton, Deborah York, Emma Kirkby, Lillian Watson, Elisabeth Meister, Lesley Garett, Victoria Baker and Elizabeth Watts.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sarah Brightman might also be a good choice if they want to go into that arena. She has a stunning voice and her classical performances are epic. Her version of Nessun Dorma is one of the best I've heard from a soprano.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Sarah Brightman might also be a good choice if they want to go into that arena. She has a stunning voice and her classical performances are epic. Her version of Nessun Dorma is one of the best I've heard from a soprano.
Nessun Dorma is actually an aria written for tenors.... all of the classically trained people I know find her performance a bit of a joke, actually! Sarah Brightman is classically trained, but again, she's much more of a crossover singer. I really don't think William and Kate would choose someone who would bring that degree of "spectacle".
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
Nessun Dorma is actually an aria written for tenors.... all of the classically trained people I know find her performance a bit of a joke, actually! Sarah Brightman is classically trained, but again, she's much more of a crossover singer. I really don't think William and Kate would choose someone who would bring that degree of "spectacle".

I'm aware of who Nessun Dorma was originally written for. I'm glad all the classically-trained people you know think the performance is a joke. I don't see how, considering she does the aria independent of the opera and I believe even Pavarotti said he liked her version of it (and his is arguably the most famous of them all).....but apparently those of us who don't operate in your milieu wouldn't know any better.

Besides, she was only a suggestion, and I've seen her live more than a few times and stand by my opinion that she'd be a good choice for doing something like the Ave Maria (you don't have to be Catholic to have it sung, by itself it's a stunning piece of music) or Pie Jesu, both of which she's done more than a few times.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Courtier

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Thanks Roslyn for that info. That's why I'm thinking if they usually do it there where in the world would they fit all these rumoured performers. Idk I just don't see them doing it up for the reception I think they'll keep it traditional, I can see them doing it up for the concert though.

Prince William Is Having Snoop Dogg Perform At His Bachelor Party! « Hollywood Life
Ok the bachelor party makes sense...would love to attend.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
Sorry- I really hope they don't choose these three women either. These three women also sing "crossover" music and not the traditional classical music that we have seen at all previous royal weddings. I don't think Smith or Boyle have enough classical training or experience for an event of this magnitude and Jenkins is a mezzo- most repertoire usually sung at weddings and royal events requires a higher voiced soprano. My husband is a well known Canadian opera singer, so I really do know about these things!

In Britain, I believe the premiere sopranos currently are Ruth Holton, Deborah York, Emma Kirkby, Lillian Watson, Elisabeth Meister, Lesley Garett, Victoria Baker and Elizabeth Watts.
I agree it would be a waste with the wonderful acoustics Westminster offers to have an aging rock star perform at the service, nor do I think one would be seriously considered for such an important event. As I said before, someone with an angelic ethereal voice Like Hayley Westenra, who is from New Zealand and has performed for the Queen twice before. I would love to see a group like Celtic women perform at the service, however I don't know if that would be considered either.

Just throwing thoughts out there.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding