King Abdullah & Queen Rania: Current News, Part 16

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amman, June 10(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II sent a cable to Queen of the United Kingdom Elizabeth II congratulating Her in His name and on behalf of Jordan's people and government on the occasion of the anniversary of Her Majesty's birthday ( National Day
LINK

King Abdullah II of Jordan, left, and his wife Queen Rania, right, attends a ceremony marking Military Day in Amman, Jordan, Saturday, June 10, 2006. Jordan's King Abdullah II presided Saturday over a military parade marking the country's 60th anniversary of independence. The parade also commemorated the victory of the Arab Revolt, led by Abdullah's Hashemite ancestor, Sherif Hussein bin Ali, Emir of Mecca and King of the Arabs over the Ottoman Turks in 1918. (AP Photo/Nader Daoud)

Jordan fetes army with first parade in seven years

AMMAN (AFP) - Jordan celebrated the 85th anniversary of its armed forces with the first military parade since King Abdullah II ascended the throne seven years ago.

A 21-gun salute rang out across west Amman as King Abdullah II, supreme commander of the armed forces, arrived in full military attire to attend the event in west Amman, as thousands of Jordanians cheered on.
The 44-year-old monarch and former commander of Jordan's elite Special Forces was flanked by his wife Queen Rania as well as senior government and military officials, members of the royal family and guests.

The army has grown from 750 men in 1923 to a combined force of more than 100,000 troops ever since conscription was suspended in 1999, in the aftermath of the 1994 peace treaty with Israel.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/10062006/323/jordan-fetes-army-first-parade-seven-years.html

Little_star said:
Thanks for the info, just checked Petra and there's no photos yet. Just out of interest shouldn't Princess Raiyah have attended the various celebrations as well?

I do hope Abdullah and Rania got to spend some time together on their anniversary, it sounds like they've had an incredibly busy day.
Rayah was there too....

LOL looking at the pic of the princes and princesses makes me realize that what people say about us is true, Arabs say that jordanians never smile,LOL, after looking at the pic, I have to admit that is SOOOOOOOOO TRUE!
look at their faces, it's so funny, the only one smiling is princess Alia Al-faisal!look at prince Faisal,princess Aisha, Noor,prince Ra'ed,prince Asem,rayah zein Iman, Wejdan,Abbas...All of them, they have this weird expression on their faces!
Man, We really never smile!!!LOL:D :eek: :rolleyes:

I love Queen Rania's dress...it is striking!

It's the first thing I've heard about Jordan before I got intersted in the royal family, they have really outstanding millitary capacity, modern vehicles and weapons, and US is the top county that supports it financially.

Congratulations to Majesties on their wedding anniversary and fine raise 4 children and good caring children lots

Most of the oriental dresses share many similarities either in design or colors:D

The design of HM thoub" dress" is pure Palestinian and northern Jordanian …The collar is similar to Irbed Thoub " called shersh" and the two lines similar to the ones used in most Palestinian thoubs …

As for the embroidery ..yes it quite different from what we use in Jordan and Palestine but nevertheless very beautiful especially with these colors ..

The queen could have dressed as a military:p ..i guess I've read somewhere that she has a a rank in the Arab Army…
Little_star said:
More pictures of the military parade:
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Jun/10/11908I.htm
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Jun/10/11887I.htm
http://www.petra.gov.jo/nepras/2006/Jun/10/11904I.htm

Queen Rania's robe's emboridery reminds me of a style that was quite fashionable in Pakistan a few years ago.

salwa said:

Most of the oriental dresses share many similarities either in design or colors:D

The design of HM thoub" dress" is pure Palestinian and northern Jordanian …The collar is similar to Irbed Thoub " called shersh" and the two lines similar to the ones used in most Palestinian thoubs …

As for the embroidery ..yes it quite different from what we use in Jordan and Palestine but nevertheless very beautiful especially with these colors ..

The queen could have dressed as a military:p ..i guess I've read somewhere that she has a a rank in the Arab Army…

Thanks for the details, I really do like the variations in style and emboridery that you often see in traditional Jordanian clothes.

The Queen has a military rank of colonel, but I've noticed that she doesn't seem to wear her military uniform at events like these.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3798597.stm

I love Queen Rania's dress, very beautiful.

salwa said:

LOL Salwa it's called here in Irbed, shoresh, not shersh (shersh means "root" in irbid);)
I dun see that it is similar to our thoubs though...it is the modern type or style of the thoub, which I really really like...the dresses she wears are very nice, apart from where the style is originated from....
I'll ask about the collar though, it looks "Horani" (this is what the nothern style is called)
The thoub that I usually wear is Nabulsi, like the one Haya wore a few times (black and red), so I guess the thoubs and shroush aren't worn these days based on where u are from or where u live...no?

Last edited:
I typed this way but I spill it the way you say it :p..i finished my B.A in Irbed you know ..

Horan " shool 7ouran"used to include Irbed..

If you see the Jerusalem thoubs " qada2 el quds- the region am from originally" you can see what am talking about ….The Banayeq" the two rows under the collar " are pure palestenian …each stiche convey a certain meaning …some thoubs stiches showed if a lady is married or still single ..the amount of it conveyed the wealth or the social status …..

Nabulsi " I think you mena qada Nablus" is much more simple and not black & Red as in Jerusalem , P.Haya wears the Beit Dajan & Ramallah types …off-white and Red ..sometime you can find several uncommon colors "..

As for Thoub or Shoresh ..Jordanian of Palestinian origin stick to the ones according to the origin in Palestine , pure east Jordanian ..according to the area too …but in recent years Palestinian ones has been passed as Jordanian …

If you look at Ma'an , Kerak and Salt ..you can see a noticeable difference in material …but in Palestine …the difference is in color of the thoub and embroidery colors and head wear ….

lil Monkey said:
LOL Salwa it's called here in Irbed, shoresh, not shersh (shersh means "root" in irbid);)
I dun see that it is similar to our thoubs though...it is the modern type or style of the thoub, which I really really like...the dresses she wears are very nice, apart from where the style is originated from....
I'll ask about the collar though, it looks "Horani" (this is what the nothern style is called)
The thoub that I usually wear is Nabulsi, like the one Haya wore a few times (black and red), so I guess the thoubs and shroush aren't worn these days based on where u are from or where u live...no?

thank you girls for the info. on the various styles of thobes.
btw...I am quite sure that the dress Queen Rania wore yesterday has been worn before...I believe around 4 or 5 years ago. I will see if I can find a picture and post it in the recycling thread.

Two more pictures from yesterday:

King Abdullah II of Jordan and his wife Queen Rania, flanked by officials and members of the Royal family, attend a military parade, the first since King Abdullah II ascended the throne seven years ago, during celebrations to mark the 85th anniversary of Jordan's armed forces, 10 June 2006 in Amman. The Jordanian army has grown from 750 men in 1923 to a combined force of more than 100,000 troops ever since conscription was suspended in 1999, in the aftermath of the 1994 peace treaty with Israel. PHOTO/KHALIL MAZRAAWI/Profimedia

salwa said:
I typed this way but I spill it the way you say it :p..i finished my B.A in Irbed you know ..

Horan " shool 7ouran"used to include Irbed..

If you see the Jerusalem thoubs " qada2 el quds- the region am from originally" you can see what am talking about ….The Banayeq" the two rows under the collar " are pure palestenian …each stiche convey a certain meaning …some thoubs stiches showed if a lady is married or still single ..the amount of it conveyed the wealth or the social status …..

Nabulsi " I think you mena qada Nablus" is much more simple and not black & Red as in Jerusalem , P.Haya wears the Beit Dajan & Ramallah types …off-white and Red ..sometime you can find several uncommon colors "..

As for Thoub or Shoresh ..Jordanian of Palestinian origin stick to the ones according to the origin in Palestine , pure east Jordanian ..according to the area too …but in recent years Palestinian ones has been passed as Jordanian …

If you look at Ma'an , Kerak and Salt ..you can see a noticeable difference in material …but in Palestine …the difference is in color of the thoub and embroidery colors and head wear ….

U took ur B.A from Irbid? I did too...where from?
Yea I think Ur right, I duno much about the details of thoubs, but I can tell if it's horani (the black with blue and white embroidery I.e in al-Ramtha), and the Ma'any,Aqabawi (from Aqaba), I of course can tell the one from Ramallah too, as my mum had one,ummm, So I guess my thoub isn't Nabulsi after all huh :confused: ...I'll ask , or maybe look for a pic here and post one similar to it....

Thanks again Salwa :)

Thanks salwa and lil_monkey for the explanations. I've always known that there are different styles depending on geographic area but it's interesting to read about them in greater detail.

Thanks for the pictures, Humera.

Any idea when the King and Queen are flying out to Thailand? I've read thy're attending the Thai King's celebrations, but they're both incredibly busy at the moment it seems hard to imagine they'll actually fit the time in!

Amman, June 11 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II affirmed the deep relations that Jordan and Oman are enjoying, and the importance of continuing consultation between the two countries towards the situation in the region.
LINK

Amman, June 11 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II sent a cable on Sunday to President Vladimir V. Putin of the Russian Federation congratulating him in his name and on behalf of the Jordanian people and government on the occasion of his country's National Day.
LINK

Amman, June 11 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II sent a cable on Sunday to President Gloria Macapaja-Arroyo of the Republic of the Philippines congratulating her in his name and on behalf of the Jordanian people and government on the occasion of her country's Independence Day.
LINK

salwa said:
Jerusalem my dear " Qada al Quds":D ..

And this one is the most familiar in rural areas..

I like it the most + Rammalah's white one ...

I've got my B.A from Yarmouk Uni:D

Oh,I've always thought it was Nabulsi..ehhm
I took mine from Yarmouk as well.
I'll PM u later.

little star,
I didn't hear anything about KA and QR's visit to Thailand:confused:

Little_star said:
Any idea when the King and Queen are flying out to Thailand? I've read thy're attending the Thai King's celebrations, but they're both incredibly busy at the moment it seems hard to imagine they'll actually fit the time in!

King Abdullah will fly out tomorrow. I read in the Diamond Jubilee thread that Queen Rania will accompany him though Im not so sure anymore. This conference on maternal and child mortality is obviously very important and will last for 3 days. Maybe the Queen will leave with her husband tomorrow and return for the closing of the conference on the 13th? I dont see how she'll manage that without being utterly exhausted. I'd like to see her at the festivities in Thailand though.

The following link has a detailed schedule on the first day of the conference.
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=67304

Queen Rania will be hosting a dinner tonight as well.

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
King Abdullah will fly out tomorrow. I read in the Diamond Jubilee thread that Queen Rania will accompany him though Im not so sure anymore. This conference on maternal and child mortality is obviously very important and will last for 3 days. Maybe the Queen will leave with her husband tomorrow and return for the closing of the conference on the 13th? I dont see how she'll manage that without being utterly exhausted. I'd like to see her at the festivities in Thailand though.

I'd heard they were both going too, although I can't really see her leaving when such an important conference is taking place. Having said that though most of the more recent news reports have just mentioned King Abdullah attending, so maybe she's had to drop out?
If she does go she'll definitely need a break when she returns.

They will show the whole thing live on Al-jazeera live tomorrow, Maybe by then we will only be sure if QR is goin or not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom