The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Gentry

General Questions and Information about the Danish Royal Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Probalby only from 2018 as he will turn 18 in 2017.

I think you're right, once he's 18, I'm sure he'll attend. Since Princess Elisabeth always attends, I think Prince Joachim's children will most definitely going to attend once they're adults. :-) All those being in line of succession attend.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Royal Highness

I can not enter the Royal House website. Is happening to anyone else?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:31 AM

I belive that Count Schack sold the Schackenborg castle due to the high cost of running it, not because Jocum was in line to inherit it, as Count schack has his own children and there are still alive those in the schack linage and also from King Fredrick I line...please update any records to reflect the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Perhaps we should have a general DRF anecdote thread?

It's Christmas soon, so all sorts of biographies are being published, also one from Helle Stangerup, an author, who went to school with QMII and who has been friends with the DRF. She has until now maintained a strickt no talk policy.
She has now published an autobiography, where she mentions a few anecdotes about the DRF and these anecdotes are basically mentioned here in this article it appears: Dronningens veninde: Jeg faldt for prins Henrik først - Royale - BT.dk

Helle Stangerup was invited to a midsummer party ny Princess Margrethe's LiW, Wava Armfeldt. (*) Among the guests were, for unknown reasons, three foreign and unknown and unmarried gentlemen.
Stangerup checked them out:
- An English bankier, a bit dull, a handsome Swedish diplomat and an at least just as well turned out French diplomat.

To her it looked like an attempt from Wava Armfeldt to introduce Princess Margrethe to new faces, but there wasn't anything in the air as far as she could tell.

- The Englishman spend at lot of energy talking about finances and the gambling clubs in London (**) while both the Swede and Frenchman danced away on the dancefloor with everybody else but the guest of honor. "Actually I believe I was one of the favorites of the incredibly charming Frenchman, my French was by then still reasonable, perhaps that was the reason but afterwards it took a good deal of time to get him out of the head".
She sighs: "A few danced under the sparkling chandalier at Rosenfeldt (***) however never amounted to more, not even a postcard".

So when Ekstra Bladet wrote that Princess Margrethe had fallen in love with Count Henri de Laborde de Montezat, she didn't believe, until the engagement was announced by the court that same afternoon.

She determines dryly: "No wonder that postcard never came", and she concludes: "Private association with the DRF provides a wealth of experiences, but there is absolutely no inside knowledge going with that".

She recalls going to (high) school with the later QMII. Where the eir to the Throne was not afraid to stand up and say it when a pupil was treated unfairly, completely humilliation the principal in the process.
Both Princess Margrethe and Stangerup were bored stiff, during arithmetic and made paperclippings instead
Years later QMII said in a speech to Stangerup: "We felt very literate because we both had read Gone With the Wind".

She and QMII were taught Philosophy for a year at Fredensborg and the LiW, Wava pointed out to Stangerup: "Do not come one second late for a meal. Never put anything on the King's piano". There were two conversational tabus: Dogs and cardplay. (****)

Stangerup says about Frederik IX that he was an incredible warm person but also known for his violent temper.
There were usually servants around but sometimes the royals were able to improvise themselves out of a problem.

"At a minor occasion in the middle of a lancier, the zipper in the back of the Queen's (QMII) dress suddenly ripped open all the way down but no maid was summoned, nor was there a change of dress.
At Fredensborg there are darkblue tablecloths on the bridge tables and the Queen went straigt to the nearest, tore off the tablecloth, folded it into a triangular shawl and fastened the tips in front of her on the chest with her brooch. That covered the back and the dance could continue".

Alas, there were also problems and Stangerup had to choose when the DRF and Count Schack had a row.
Joachim was supposed to inherit Schackenborg Manor but the manor was in deep debt and pretty derelict too.
(Joachim and the DRF has used very considerable sums bringing that in order and Joachim is still working on renovating the manor. I believe the staircase is in bad shape).

You can read about the meeting between Count Henri and Princess Margrethe and how she fell helplessly in love here: Danish Royal Family Books

(*) Who was very close to QMII and believe she died not that long ago.

(**) Them kind of topics can swoon any woman.

(***) A manor.

(****) It's wellknown that Queen Ingrid was not fond of cats and dogs.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Majesty

Eh? Count Schack didn't sell Schackenborg.
They had no direct heirs and no one else in the family wished to take over Schackenborg, so it was agreed that Joachim would get the manor.

I suggest you read this article among others: Skulle have arvet Schackenborg: Jeg forstår godt Joachim smutter - Royale | www.bt.dk

BTW. Congratulations on your first post.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Eh? Count Schack didn't sell Schackenborg.
They had no direct heirs and no one else in the family wished to take over Schackenborg, so it was agreed that Joachim would get the manor.

I suggest you read this article among others: Skulle have arvet Schackenborg: Jeg forstår godt Joachim smutter - Royale | www.bt.dk

BTW. Congratulations on your first post.
As far as I know, the Queen paid a hefty sum for Joachim to take over. In the article you link to, it says that the debt on the place was 22 millions, which prohibited the original heir for taking over.

In the BT article from count Schack's funeral in 2000 the following are written.
Quote:
The royal house was also very piqued that the count had given the impression that Prince Joachim had been given the palace, when in reality it was bought and paid for by the Queen by an amount in the double digit millions, in which it also was included an agreement of a luxurious pensioner's house for the count and his wife in France.
Joachim og Margrethe til Schacks begravelse - Nyheder | www.bt.dk

Old 04-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Correct the DRF had to settle the debt in the estate and (wich must be considered fair enough) pay for a house for Count Schack as he and his wife were still alive.
But it wasn't sold to the DRF.

Schackenborg was given to the Schack family as a fief in the 1600's, and beforehand a fief could return to the crown, for all sorts of reasons, like no heirs. In this case Count Schack had no children and no one else in the family wanted to take over Schackenborg (and the debt).
The story at the time when Joachim took over was that the estate was in a pretty poor condition. I.e. it hadn't been maintained let alone modernized. The same thing about equipment and the way the place was run. Just as the debt apparently was considerably higher than the DRF were led to believe. In other words the DRF was gullible and learned a lesson the hard way.
That naturally led to, shall we say, less than fond relations between Count Schack in the DRF.

But A) Schackenborg was not sold, it was taken over.
B) They had no children.
C) No one in the Schack family wanted the place. (Who can blame them?)
D) Count Schack didn't do much to keep the place in just reasonable condition.
E) Count Scack and his wife got a house in France as compensation. That house is presumably still in the Schack family, unless they sold the place and divided the money between the various relations after the death of Count Schack.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I have a question i did not know exactly what to put here i hope are okay. Who was the regent when Anne-Marie married Constantine in Athens? I know it very hard to remember someone that but i said to try . Is a little unfair in that someone must always stays back. They can change this?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
I have a question i did not know exactly what to put here i hope are okay. Who was the regent when Anne-Marie married Constantine in Athens? I know it very hard to remember someone that but i said to try . Is a little unfair in that someone must always stays back. They can change this?
Can't say off hand who remained back when Anne-Marie got married but the law states clearly that in case of the Monarch being abroad (or incapable but that's another matter) the Crown Prince(ss) automatically becomes Regent. In case the Crown Prince is also abroad the Monarch appoints a Rigsforstander. That person is always a member of the DRF and usually, but not always in the line of succession.

When that law was written it made a lot of sense.
The Monarch, apart from being the head of state, is also the commander in chief.
So if all the senior members of the DRF went abroad, the law makers back then thought:
They could all be shipwrecked.
They could be taken prisoners by pirates, robber barons or a foreign country.
They could for whatever other reasons be prevented from returning to Denmark, at least for some time.
Sweden might launch a sneak attack.
There might be a coup d'etat.
There could be a rebellion.
A plaque outbreak.
A major natural disaster. (Nowadays say an asteroid or a super volcano eruption)
- All good reasons to have someone from the DRF back home to take over, just in case.
That is IMO a prudent precaution, also not least since the DRF has a constitutional role. The Regent/ Rigsforstander routinely sign laws in order for them to become valid.

However, there is actually nothing to hinder the Monarch from appointing a commoner as Rigsforstander if the entire DRF were to go somewhere. But that is yet to happen.
In fact QMII could appoint our Marie as Rigsforstander, bypassing both Joachim and Mary, if she wanted to. The only one QMII cannot bypass is Frederik.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you Muhler for the explanation. But i wonder why the same is not happen to the other scandinavian countries?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Thank you Muhler for the explanation. But i wonder why the same is not happen to the other scandinavian countries?
You are welcome.
You will have to ask in the DRF and NRF forums, but the Swedish Monarch no longer has a practical constitutional role, so there is no need to have someone remaining back in Sweden.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Serene Highness

I think that under the wedding between the then Pss Anne-Marie and King Constantine that the danish royal yacht Dannebrog was considered danish soil and therefor no regent/rigsforstander was apointed as King Frederik IX was on danish soil.

But I´m not sure...
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
I think that under the wedding between the then Pss Anne-Marie and King Constantine that the danish royal yacht Dannebrog was considered danish soil and therefor no regent/rigsforstander was apointed as King Frederik IX was on danish soil.

But I´m not sure...
Yes, as a warship Dannebrog is to beconsidered a Danish embassy wherever she sails. But even though the DRF would have been on Danish soil it was not in Denmark, so a Rigsforstander had to have been appointed.
Probably one of the Rosenborgs or secondary princess..
I must admit I don't know who was around back then.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes, as a warship Dannebrog is to beconsidered a Danish embassy wherever she sails. But even though the DRF would have been on Danish soil it was not in Denmark, so a Rigsforstander had to have been appointed.
Probably one of the Rosenborgs or secondary princess..
I must admit I don't know who was around back then.
Could it have been Arveprins Knud?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
Could it have been Arveprins Knud?
If he wasn't in Greece, he would be the natural choice I'd say.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Not sure what this is
Rottefælden klapper igen | Billed Bladet

but the three "royal ladies" looks hilarious
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=Z8PoFAqh
Old 06-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Majesty

That's from one of the yearly summer revues, albeit less well known, as the one I wrote about where PH is parodied.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #26, 2015.
Where Carina Møller would like to know whether Prince Nikolai will lose his title as prince if he marries a commoner.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies yes and no.
It's entirely up to the Monarch to bestow titles within the DRF but also strip people of titles. But as several members of the DRF have married commoners, Jon Bloch Skipper doubts Nikolai will lose his title should he marry a commoner.

However, the Law of Succession §5.3 states that if a person who is in the Line of Succession marries without the Monarch giving his/her consent in the State Council, that person will forfeit his/her place in the Line of Succession and so will the children of such a marriage.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Majesty

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #42, 2015.

Where a Jane Rasmussen would like to know whether there has been a gay man in the DRF.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that no one has come out of the closet within the DRF.
Anyway, homosexuality for men (women were not covered by the law) was punishable in DK until the 1930's and officially listed as a mental illness until the early 1980's. So that alone may have been good reasons for some to remain in the closet.
So, no there have never been official gay men in the DRF but there have been rumors about several.
One of them being Prince Harald in particular, who died in 1949. Despite him being married to princess Helena (*) and having a number of children.

(*) Princess Helena was a major scandal within the DRF and Christian X actually banished her for a number of years and only allowed her back to Denmark when her husband died.
Helena was German and when DK was occupied in 1940-45 she was to put it mildly, positive towards the occupation and the occupiers. Apparently it wasn't Harald who wore the trousers in that marriage! And that combined with the fact that he didn't have the most masculine facial features in the world may have led to the rumors.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:28 AM
Majesty

While going to the baker this morning to pick up bread and pastry I bought the paper edition of BT and it has a very interesting article featuring Mary and Marie in particular.
Including the results of a poll by Gallup.
And let me put it like this: If Mary and our Marie enjoyed an extra snail this morning, it's well deserved!

Below er links to the articles and the polls.
I will later today return and write summaries, in the meantime those who can read Danish have the advantage.

First the results of the poll and a guide:
https://app.box.com/s/x619s5lf8udgnbfyzivjfrzfds0axje0
The questions are from left to right:
Do you believe it was wise or unwise of the DRF when they ask for a correction of the Her & Nu story about the breast-surgery of Princess Marie?
Has the demand of a correction influenced your view on the DRF in a positive and negative direction?
Will it be positive or negative if the DRF increasingly starts to react on the way the media talk/write about the royal family?

https://app.box.com/s/yka2yfbboxa4rvrkhpkw1qrojk7hn26f
From left to right:
Is Crown Princess Mary contributing to the reputation of the DRF in a positive or negative manner?
Is Princess Marie contributing to the reputation of the DRF in a positive or negative manner?
How do you assess the effort by the royal family in representing Denmark on a scale from 1-5, where 5 is very good and 1 is very bad?

Guide to the response:
Positiv = Positive.
Negativ = Negative.
Overvejende positiv = predominantly positive.
Overvejende negativ = predominantly negative.
ved ikke = Don't know.
Uændret = Unchanged.
Klogt = Wise.
Uklogt = Unwise.

Now for the articles.
The first one is basically explaining why Mary and Marie are popular and respected and to some extent comparing them.
https://app.box.com/s/ise1pvowkn8lsdl8jyo6dykflrzfyp3s
https://app.box.com/s/c7s1zavoljpxkpcog7gjkqwc7c5jig88

The next article is about why Joachim and Frederik are trailing behind their wives:
https://app.box.com/s/ww6nymrlork0qxm2ggpve09lqhcp75ax

The last article are reactions on how the press and communications experts got it wrong in regards to the public reaction to Breastgate:
https://app.box.com/s/zj2qq5us2tb8kns4y60wzjl66y93bje4

- More on all that later.

And mods, perhaps we should consider have a thread about the public and press perception on the DRF, both in DK and abroad?
Old 10-18-2015, 08:05 AM
Majesty

Summary of article in BT, 18th October 2015.
Written by Mads Korsager Nielsen.

Why are Mary and our Marie so popular?

Thomas Larsen from the serious paper, Berlingske, says: "If one looks at their very big popularity it's the acknowledgement of the Danes that they have taken on large tasks and use their position to promote important issues like for example social issues and bullying among children".

Branding expert, Helene Bak Hansen says: "They have taken on and involved themselves in other issues than was done beforehand (in DK that is). Like for example their work against bullying or obesity. It's very present and current. The two women have the finger on the pulse".

Why do 94 % believe Mary is an asset and 87 % believe Marie is a positive asset?
The explanation from a number of people BT has asked is: intelligence. They are smart women.

Anna Johannesen from BB tells about her very first encounter with Mary: "She was professional and mildly disarming. She explained in friendly manner that she respected the job as journalist, but she couldn't say anything. Already back then she obviously understood what she was a part of.
She thinks before she leaps into something. And if she decides to do something, she commits herself fully. She goes all in, as you say.
She's beautiful, bright and knows what she is doing. On top of that she has a fantastic influence on the Crown Prince".

Something that was confirmed by Frederik himself to BT during his visit to Nepal: "It makes me so glad and proud to see how Crown Princess Mary follow that track. She's the kind of person who is attentive of the well-being of people - especially those who need a hand". Here he also added that he is learning a lot from Mary.

However, the surface sometimes get a scratch, like when it emerged that Mary owns a handbag by Hermes, which according to PETA is made from animals being skinned alive and being worth 221.000 DKK.

But how about Marie?
Martin Berner, who races with Joachim has told about Marie's influence on Joachim: "There is no doubt that she has her own opinions about things and (she) gives him the counterplay/resistance that is needed".

Something that is confirmed by Joachim: "My wife (informal word) should have the credit for all the areas where I have improved". He adds that she picked him up after the divorce where he had his issues in coping with it.
"My best coach is my wife. When there are others who try and coach me, I have a tendency to struggle/become stubborn".

John Lindskog has written a book about Marie and describes her as "a strong woman, who won't put up with anything".
"She has been very willing to adapt to a new situation for a Frenchman and (she) has learned Danish quickly. At the same time she's a fantastically sweet girl who takes good care of Joachim's sons from the previous marriage as well as her own children. And on top of that she looks smashing".

Privately Mary and Marie probably don't see each other that much, says Annelise Weimann. "They are very different types. Mary is very controlled and perfectionistic, while Marie is more laid back. Then she isn't to be queen one day, but only make sure to have a good life in a big Klampenborg-villa. That's why it's an open question as how much they deal with each other".
Probably no more that the wives of two ordinary Danish brothers see each other, she says.

However, Mary and Marie are not 100 % perfect. They for instance don't seem to have QMII's artistic talents.
Helen Bak Jensen: "Queen Margrethe is artistically creative. She paints, make dresses and create performances. That brand is very important and you should not underestimate that she has reached far along that way, when you like she, has to mingle across cultures and countries. It's a pity the Princesses haven't got that one as well".

- The next post will be about why Joachim and Frederik are not as relatively popular as their wives.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Majesty

Now, why are both Mary and Marie more popular than their respective husbands?

Thomas Larsen, who is the author of a number of books on the DRF, says: "They are household-masters because they have taken their new track very seriously. All have seen that they both have put in a tremendous effort from the arrival to Denmark. Both in regards to learning the language but also very much so by taking on long row of important tasks.
If you are to put it very directly then the Crown Prince is a very accomplished sportsman. There are many Danes who are impressed when he does an ironman or the Swedish Classic. But it's not something that is being acknowledged in the same way as with Mary".

And for Joachim: "You have seen more pictures of him in a racing suit, than where he is doing something serious. It may seem unfair that it doesn't when they (Joachim and Frederik) take part in charity. But it's challenge the DRF has to take seriously. There is a quid pro quo agreement with the people, and if they don't abide by it, the support drops".

Tags
christian, danish law, isabella, mary: crown princess of denmark, royal dinner services