The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-19-2016, 03:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I fade prior to her death and will not likely return for the reasons that you have stated.
I'm not sure. I think she was special because she was herself..(Perhaps the social conditions of her time helped to make her well known but even so, I think ti was mostly to do with her own personality).

Very few people Do have that charisma. Maybe they only come along in royal life once In a hundred years or so. Fergie had a touch of it, but she was way too flawed... Diana was flawed too, of course, (not the way F was) and in the end she sort of walked out fo the royal life..
But I think that if she had lost some of the popularity, it was due to the War of the Waleses. yes we wanted to see her, and have stories abt her, but when they increasingly became about an ugly divorce, people did go off the story...
SO I agree that I don't think there will be another Diana because Dianas don't come along that often.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Diana was certainly unique and won't be replaced. I agree that the gilt started coming off the gingerbread with regard to Diana's image during the War of the Wales and continued after the edgy divorce negotiations. Diana mis-stepped I think, by jettisoning all those charities she was involved in because 'of the loss of her Royal status...'

The Press had begun to snarl at Diana in those last months of her life in a way that had never happened to her before. (Not that Charles's PR was much better. It remained in the doldrums for years.) And I don't know whether the British Press didn't like middle eastern playboys or not, but they really went on the attack at the time of the romance with Dodi.

Then her death changed everything and we got St Di. As Laurels said in an earlier post, there isn't that level of media concentration on royals or celebrities any more, or on the minutiae of their lives. It's much more diffuse nowadays.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

There have been plenty of charismatic people marrying into other royal families since the early 2000's - one of two have exceptionally charismatic personalities that with vibrancy they naturally project, allowing them to become extremely popular and loved in their own countries and to those beyond who follow those particular royal families.

However, in terms of there being "another Diana", we would be looking for anyone who is sufficiently well known enough to be reported upon globally on practically a daily basis - as yet this hasn't happened in over 20 years.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

No, there hasn't and I don't expect there will be. However, the BRF has captured the English-speaking market and interest, I would suggest. How much coverage do the Belgian or Netherlands royal families get in British and US newspapers for example? Monaco perhaps is a bit of an exception because of the Princess Grace legacy..

Queen Letizia gets a little more and of course is heavily covered in Spain and Latin America. However, Leti, fashionable and lovely though she is, (I do admire her) doesn't quite have that indefinable quality that would make a new Royal superstar.

And again there is the language barrier making a difference. It does seem to me that for the sake of US media alone, if a charismatic new Royal arose in, say, a generation's time, she would have to come from the ranks of the BRF. Sorry if this sounds Anglo-centric.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

I tend to agree, Curryong - the whole idea would be almost completely dependent upon the whims of the media and how much coverage around the world such a new royal would get in order to promote and, in some senses, define or create the "Diana effect".

So for me, it has less to do with personality, charisma, allure and looks of which I think all of the royals have to one degree or another and all to do with the media.

On several occasions in the past, royal brides in Europe have been described as "a new Diana" or "x country's own version of Diana" and then nothing is ever heard of again.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ofcourse Diana had many facets, so the question "new Diana" is a bit complicated to answer f.i. with regards to "good causes" there are many princesses who do similar but maybe with less media coverage in anglo-orientated countries

However... in a media world dominated by Kardashians, Celebrity Big Brother (in many varieties) and WAG's... would any RF even *want* to have the level of media exposure now that Diana had then?
I can just picture QEII's "we're not amused" face while i'm writing that

As were on an english speaking forum i agree that non of the other european RF's would have that level of exposure in the anglo world; potentially P.Charlene of Monaco could have been in the position to "score" exposure like that, but I don't think that is something she aspires
Old 08-19-2016, 06:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I Then her death changed everything and we got St Di. As Laurels said in an earlier post there isn't that level of media concentration on one or celebrities any more, or on the minutiae of their lives. It's much more diffuse nowadays.
I know this post is not really in the right thread but I'l put it here? I think that Diana was losing popularity partly becauase her LONG period of great popularity had begun to run to an end.. It happens, even for charismatic wonderful public figures that the press get bored iwht always loving them.. etc.. and get more ciritical. Things change.
BUT apart from that I think it was mostly the war of the Waleses thtat made her lose popularity. She acted more erratically, she was involved in affairs with more than one man, with married men. She was chasing O Hoare with phone calls. I don't think that the press hated her for going with Dodi, but he was at best a lightweight playboy and he also had bad baggage in the shape of MAF. And while she was going to give up her charties, once she wasn't an HRH, she did it in the wrong way. She looked like she was throwing them over and sulking.. she should have done it by giving them time to find new patrons..AND more importantly when she said she was going to concentrate on 6 charities, she should have been seen doing that, working hard for her chosen ones and learning more about them. But her work was fitful. So I think all of that began to make the public cooler on her, less sympathetic.. and the Press followed that feeling..
I was a big fan but the endless sniping of the war of Waleses, a bitter divorce, does not look good, and one began to get tired of it and feel a distaste for her and Charles for going on with it.. It was time to come to an end, but I think it only did when the queen said "divorce and say no more to the papers"..
Old 08-19-2016, 09:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Diana's death changed a lot of things. I'm not sure any royal nor the media want that again.

I was just watching her new bio on the REELZ Channel and Diana lived through a crazy time of Dynasty and a new celebrity era. I think it was even too much for her to handle.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

I was just watching her new bio on the REELZ Channel and Diana lived through a crazy time of Dynasty and a new celebrity era. I think it was even too much for her to handle.

I agree.
Diana was beloved by the public for years, beautiful and very much imitated.
But I think she was very unhappy in her life.

The men she chose were awful, imo. And very few of her relationships (including friends and family) seemed to run smoothly.

I felt she was spiralling down, as Robert Lacey said. I always thought she'd end up like her mother.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Commoner

Diana was one of a kind. Do not wish her life on anyone. Her death was tragic. Let each Royal forge ahead like the stars that only they can be. And besides,brunettes have more fun we know!
Old 08-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Diana's death changed a lot of things. I'm not sure any royal nor the media want that again.

I agree that the various royal families would not want another Diana type "star" in their ranks. As for the media I do believe that they would likely want someone who could sell as well as the late Princess of Wales.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree that the various royal families would not want another Diana type "star" in their ranks. As for the media I do believe that they would likely want someone who could sell as well as the late Princess of Wales.
I think her passing even changed the media a bit. The media don't chase around well known people like they did to Diana. Also the royals has legally put their foot down on personal privacy. It was a different story when Diana was around. Once she died so tragically, it shocked and shook everyone, including the media.

I just don't think anyone would want to go back down that road.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure any royal family has ever had cause to worry about having their own version of Diana - it seems to have been an exclusively British phenomena - the exception being Princess Grace of Monaco I suppose.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm not sure any royal family has ever had cause to worry about having their own version of Diana - it seems to have been an exclusively British phenomena - the exception being Princess Grace of Monaco I suppose.
I don't think there will ever be another like her, but I do think there are some of the new generations of royals who might have taken a few inspirational notes from her though. Even some classy celebrity women have done so.

The media just don't treat today's royal women like that did Diana.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-19-2016, 08:42 PM
Serene Highness

I sill maintain that none fo the others has that quality that Diana had. Of course the media popularised her and the fact that she was English (I don't like the term British), helped to give her more or less global popularity because of the big English Speaking market. But still, I think that her combination of vulnerability and beauty and "good things" made her a star.. Other women who had married inot the RF before her, had a year or 2 when they were "stars", but that would usually fade into "normal accpetacne" but she if anyting became more popular as time wnet on...
Old 08-19-2016, 11:16 PM
Courtier

Even if any of the current royal women had aspirations of becoming the new Diana - and I sincerely doubt most people want that level of drama in their lives - there's also the question of whether any of them have the political skills and media savvy Diana developed after her marriage. Diana was charismatic, but she was also very conscious of her image and went to great lengths to preserve it. She was extremely good at using the press for her own ends and was able to keep the media narrative running in her favor, (mostly), for an extraordinarily long time.

IMO what Diana had that the vast majority of people don't was a Machiavellian level of skill at manipulating a situation. Without that quality she would still have been a very famous woman, but more like Kate is now, or Queen Elizabeth was as a young woman - lots of attention but not so frenzied.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:24 AM
Serene Highness

I think that is a little harsh. But perhaps not entirely unfair. She was smart at using the meidia, but perhaps not as smart as she initially seemed.. I think she was good at using them to promote her causes and to keep her image bright, and to suppress news of her faults getting out. But also, I think that was helped by the fact that there was still SOME respect for the monarchy in the UK and the protection of being in the RF helped her to keep her faulty side concealed. It may be significant that stoiries of her weaker side came out more, in the last few years when she was no longer really a member of the RF and I think then after the separation and the divorce the press were less respectful and knew that the RF wouldn't complain as much on her behalf if she was an "ex princess."
As many writers have said she did have a sharpness in dealing with the press and her PR but she did make significant mistakes, mosty that she thought short term and not long term. She wanted out fo the RF, but I think she didn't really think what might happen if she got her wish, how she would cope with that life and how her image might be tarnished and her social position weakened. SO in dealing with the Press she often didn't think ahead.. she seems to have used them to put out the story of her romance with Dodi. She did that very skilfully, but this created a mad rush for pics of them together and that quite literally led to her being hounded in her last few months and chased to her death.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm not sure any royal family has ever had cause to worry about having their own version of Diana - it seems to have been an exclusively British phenomena I suppose.
Deo Gracias!...:)...
Old 08-20-2016, 05:14 AM
Heir Apparent

A new Diana? I hope not. Person, time, place, circumstances, society, all are variables. No one is a clone of another person. By the way, the monarchy narrowly survived the first Diana, let alone a second version of her...
Old 08-20-2016, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

The view that the BRF took a hit in the collective solar plexus in 1996-97 that it barely recovered from, has become an accepted part of the story of those years.

With regard to this, these poll results from September 1997 are interesting, I think.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchp...x?oItemId=2116