The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 9: June 2012 - September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the cost of living has not gone up anywhere near that much so these designers are making money off Kate's back. This was always going to happen to someone with such a high profile wearing what is essentially High Street Fashion and unfortunately becoming a High Street Show Pony.

In the near future she is going to have to make a decision as to whether she wants to stay true to her stated "Common Man" version of wardrobe when that has largely become an illusion. With the actual prices rocketing up for no other reason than she wears clothes or accessories made by a particular designer she is going to have to decide wheter to go up market, where no one will be able to tabulate the exact cost of her ensemble at any given engagement or, use someone like the Queen's magic dresser.

I seem to remember one occasion that no one could find out anything about the provenience of her ensemble at a function. I think "going off the grid" was a master stroke which I think we will definitely see more of.

Can you provide a link or reference which shows that Kate has a 'stated "Common Man"' style? Kate has said nothing publicly about her fashion choices.

Neither Issa nor LK Bennett, referred to in this DM article, are what I would term 'high street'. I'd say they're fairly middle market. The prices set by these companies for their goods after she's bought them are not Kate's problem. It's one of the basic tenets of economics that when demand increases for a good or service the price tends to go up too. The press are going to try and tabulate the cost of Kate's clothes no matter where she buys them. They do it with Charles, William and Harry who all have their suits made bespoke.

If Kate were to suddenly decide in the near future that she was only going to wear bespoke outfits made specifically for her by top couturiers, the press would come down on her like a ton of bricks. Camilla wear clothes from catalogues and middle market brands, as does Sophie. Kate has a good mix going on at the moment. She's only the wife of the hier to the heir to the throne. She wears Zara and Oasis because she likes their clothes, not because she's trying to seem thrifty. Retail in the UK is in a desperate state at the moment and Kate's fashion choices have become a rare bright spot in an industry that employs more Britons that any other.

I think it is a question of personal taste and style - she looks very apporpriate amidst her friends at the wedding. personally i like her dress, more than the other guests. its not my favorite, but is suitable and pretty. I think she makes a conscious effort to blend in and not to draw any additional attention to herself. It is a nice summer silk dress appropriate for a wedding. the added fact that the company is a friend of William's who is doing good with the proceeds is all the better. I commend both Kate and William for making the effort to still keep seeing their friends and to continue to attend their friends weddings.

The fact that fashion recycle means everything is dated

That clothing styles and prints that were in fashion in eg. the 70's come back into fashion after a while. Which means that if someone wore something similar when they were young, it doesn't automatically mean that it is old-fashioned now. Fashion repeates itself.

:previous: That's a fact! Just ask Aunty Anne who at least gets to be in fashion every ten or so years.

Last edited:
Fashion does repeat itself, but hopefully with a more modern twist and up-to-date look. That's why when I see exact replicas of what I wore decades ago, I consider it dated and old-fashioned (hello, Anne!). Unless we're talking the timeless elegance of a Chanel suit. However, that's just my opinion, of course!

Last edited:
Fashion does repeat itself, but hopefully with a more modern twist and up-to-date look. That's why when I see exact replicas of what I wore decades ago, I consider it dated and old-fashioned (hello, Anne!). Unless we're talking the timeless elegance of a Chanel suit. However, that's just my opinion, of course!

I think you're absolutely correct. There are some things that never go out of style and can be worn over and over regardless of the current fads (and those things usually include Chanel suits, and well-made suits in general [my grandmother loves to say that if you dress in 'classy British style', you'll never go wrong]). However, what Anne pulls out is quite terrible and needs to be either trashed, or if she's really insistent on wearing it, updated so it doesn't look like something from the back of her closet that may have looked good couple of decades back. Perhaps the red printed dress would have looked better in a style that was a little bit updated, or with a bit of twist. Maybe Catherine chose it because she felt it was 'safe' and won't attract too much attention (she just needs to learn that for a while that ain't gonna work since whatever she wears attracts attention).

It's a good choice to wear as an onlooker at a sporting event. I just don't care too much how it looks on her, although it's an attractive dress.

Last edited:
I am no fan of this particular outfit but it suited the occasion very well.

The outfit pretty much screams English summertime. All she needs now is some strawberries and cream and a glass of ice-cold Pimms.

Nice imagery, EIIR, I'll have some right now to celebrate the 4th of July!:)

Now now, Baroness, you lot gave us the old heave-ho 236 years ago. In doing so you forfeited your chance to enjoy a nice fruity Pimms on a summer's evening. :britflag: ;)

As Thomas Moore put it, "Independence Day is the day we went from being a British "child" to a British "friend"".

Oh, EIIR, surely I can adapt some English customs to a good old-fashioned American barbecue! I like a nice G&T or Pimms as much as the next Brit! :amflag: :happyfourth2:

Last edited:
I will join the bunch that liked the McQueen dress. I thought it looked nice and occasion-appropriate when she wore it last summer, and same applies for today. I will also give Wills props for finally wearing a different color suit, shirt and tie that his usual navy blue suit, light blue shirt and maroon tie.

Really liked the McQueen dress! Much better on her than on Sarah Jessica Parker.

Daria_S said:
I will join the bunch that liked the McQueen dress. I thought it looked nice and occasion-appropriate when she wore it last summer, and same applies for today. I will also give Wills props for finally wearing a different color suit, shirt and tie that his usual navy blue suit, light blue shirt and maroon tie.

I agree! Kate looked lovely as always.... But Will... Wow he def looked great! Looks as though Kate has finally gotten around to updating Will's wardrobe. Perhaps the new upcoming tour was excuse enough.

I've always loved that dress. It really did fit with the trip to Prince Edward Island- very Anne of Green Gables.

I agree! Kate looked lovely as always.... But Will... Wow he def looked great! Looks as though Kate has finally gotten around to updating Will's wardrobe. Perhaps the new upcoming tour was excuse enough.

Either that, or the fact that it was his Birthday may have been a great reason to go to the store and stock up on nice formal wear. Whatever it is, I'm glad his wardrobe got updated.

I love the dress as well, but not how it looked on Kate.
Not saying she looked bad - because she obviously didn't; it's just the style isn't very flattering for her figure type, at least in my opinion.

The coat is lovely, and I've always liked that hat. She was actually a bit of a ray of sunshine in that colour on an incredibly grey, damp, misty day in Edinburgh. Usually it's the Queen who wears lovely bright colours but she was in the garb of the Order of the Thistle today which is quite dark.

I have to admit, I love the colour but oh how I hate the high-waisted, baby-doll style. It hardly seems adult let alone something that should be worn by a grown woman. Credit due for the length of the dress however, it was both flattering and feminine.

The hat was a major let down as colour wise it leached the yellow of the coat dress and the style didn't really go with the style of the dress. Oh how I would love to see her wear a "hat" rather than a glorified beret!

Last edited:
Slightly better pictures from DM:

- The dress

- Close up
- Side view
- Back view

- Hairstyle
- Hat and jewellery

I like the dress; the style, while not exactly my favourite, does flatter her figure type. The shoes and the hat though did nothing for me.
And what's with the scarf? I know she's Countess of Strathearn but it looked like the scarf was just there for the sake of it, not for any practical or aesthetic reason.

Last edited:
I liked the coat but not with that hat. She should have worn navy accessories, imo.

As for the dress at Wimbledon, to me it seems more like a costume than anything else!
(Anyone ever see that series of books for young children called American Girl? That dress is much like the sailor dress worn by ten-year-old Samantha, the one from the Victorian era!)

The coat looks all uneven around the mid seam dare I say a little homemade? personally Im not happy with the style and I dont really like that buttermilk colour but I have to say the colour looks nice on her. The hat is cute but Im not really liking it with the buttermilk colour.
Kate is quite conservative with her styling perhaps she feels safer with conservative styles at this point in time into her public life. Maybe once she feels a little more settled in her role her styling might relax too.

I admire her for the fact that she always looks comfortable in her outfits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom