The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

How are those 'darts'? Am I thinking of a different pub pastime to everyone else? Because those look nothing like darts in any way, shape or fashion to me.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
How are those 'darts'? Am I thinking of a different pub pastime to everyone else? Because those look nothing like darts in any way, shape or fashion to me.
It confused me as well.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Courtier

Darts in the fashion sense have nothing to do with the game of darts. Perhaps they use different terms in the UK, but per dictionary.com, a dart (in this sense) is "a tapered seam of fabric for adjusting the fit of a garment."
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Today's Outfit:
Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Visits The National Portrait
Catherine Duchess Of Cambridge Visits The National Portrait

It's not a dull colour!!! Yippeee.

EDIT: She's wearing Stella McCartney.

Simple but beaufiful. And being a fan of blue, I love the colour. I think she looks very nice in that dress, it makes a great contrast with her dark hair.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Serene Highness

I would have liked to have seen her wear her taupe L.K. shoes with this dress. Its a beautiful color on her but then again we all know she looks great in jewel tones. The dress I agree was a tad boring but I suppose was appropriate for the event. I think the Cartier necklace was lovely and had the theme of the olympics so I suppose it was o.k. to wear. Her hair could have been done differently but she loves her hair down. All in all I think she looked lovely. Simple and elegant as usual. :)
Old 07-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness

It's such a nice bright shade of blue, an Olympic color in a way, she looks nice in the dress.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Duchess of Cambridge today:

- The dress
- Side view
- Close up

She is apparently wearing a sold-out £35 dress from Hobbs.
I don't care about the price tag; that dress is really nice! It looks very summery and nice, and the shoes are nice too.+

I'm actually a bit surprised at how lovely the dress looks because my own experience with Hobbs was less than present. I once bought a red top (which was more expensive than this dress) from Hobbs, and its quality was absolutely horrible. Took it back to store next day and stayed away from the brand ever since.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

No idea why she keeps buying dresses a couple of sizes too small.
Nothing sits in the right spot here - the dress could have looked nice enough, but its belt ends up around the belly instead of the waist, skirt a tad too short, sleeves too tiny.
Those sling back wedges are ugly, but then I don't understand anyway why wedges would be worn by any woman in public. For an engagement involving sports activity, what's wrong with nice ballet flats?
Use wedges for gardening only - preferrably as flower pots.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I'd say the dress looked good if it only had a different pattern colour.
The grey is just
Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I really love this dress. It's nice and summery.

I think the fit of the dress is fine. It doesn't appear too small to me.

The dress - Check Wessex Dress | Hobbs
Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Lovely summery dress, looks very light and cool given temps in London are 30C/86F plus. I prefer this £35 dress to the £500 Stella McCartney she wore to the NPG the other day. I even like the wedges, perfect for walking on the football field. She wasn't actually playing football (I think she was playing table tennis) so flats weren't necessary.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Lovely summery dress, looks very light and cool given temps in London are 30C/86F plus. I prefer this £35 dress to the £500 Stella McCartney she wore to the NPG the other day. I even like the wedges, perfect for walking on the football field. She wasn't actually playing football (I think she was playing table tennis) so flats weren't necessary.
I like this one better too; the only advantage of McCartney dress was the bright colour.
She didn't play football - William did (and enthusiastically too).
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Heir Apparent

The dress is nice enough but looks high-waisted on Kate (I've noticed many of her dresses do, like the Jesire one she once wore to the National Gallery).
I guess she doesn't mind this.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Love the look and it's perfect for the weather and the event.

Always surprised by how contradictory some of these posts are- all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. For example, high-waisted vs belt around the belly. :)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Love the dress, regardless of price. It fits well and looks to be well made. I like the addition of the belt and choice of wedges. I would have loved to have seen her hair pulled back in a ponytail though, for some reason I'm thinking it would have been more in step with the event. All-in-all she looks great.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

She looks very nice.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Always surprised by how contradictory some of these posts are- all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. For example, high-waisted vs belt around the belly. :)
That's because the latest dresses, not being the right size, end up sitting high-waisted on Catherine without being tailored that way, which throws everything slightly off-balance.
Just look at the Stella McCartney dress on the model, with everything in the spot where it's meant to be.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Commoner

Very smart dress the one with the belt, luv the wedges :)
The lady has personal style.
Respect plz.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

It's the issue with any off-the-peg clothing for all of us!

I am what my husband calls curvy but I am also short. Majority of off-the-peg dresses would require the services of a royal page. Perhaps HM would lend me hers now they are practiced in carrying a train

But, back on topic, I think the high-waists help to balance out her figure.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Serene Highness

She looks great! She has a shorter torso, but the dresses look fine.

As far as wedges go, I can't live without them and often wear them in public, thank you very much. They are much more comfortable than regular heels, and if you're going to be on grass at all, they give you more stability.

Closed Thread