The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are told the photos are of Kate, but I don't think it is Kate. She is much too heavy compared to the beach walk photos where Pippa is with her. The two sets of photos were deemed to have been taken only days apart.

If you look at the second picture, you will see it's Catherine.

From Sept. 4

Kate has an awful lot of doppelgangers out and about...Kate must be hitting the Mars Bars hard! LOL

KittyAtlanta said:
Kate has an awful lot of doppelgangers out and about...Kate must be hitting the Mars Bars hard! LOL

She looks great- not what I'd call "hitting the mars bars hard".

IMO a young woman with a healthy appetite, as has been credited to Catherine, would probably gain some weight after life finally settling down a bit and not under constant scrutiny. As slender as she was a gain of five or six pounds could easily happen and would certainly show in her face ... which is where I thought I noticed she looked a bit more filled out. She may well be the kind of person who shows weight gains and losses in her face first.

Hitting the mars bars? You have got to be kidding me, after all the people complaining that she was too skinny and might have an eating disorder, now starts the "she looks fat" comments?

^Yep.

I believe the beach photos were taken 3 weeks ago. It's the photos of her shopping in London that were taken around the time of these Hungerford ones.

Kate Middleton Shopping at Peter Jones Pictures Photo 2

I wish I would look like this in tight jeans :cool: She really has a great figure, I guess she´s naturally thin but she also keeps fit with sports...maybe I should also take up jogging:whistling:I like her blouse in that picture!She has some look-a likes but I´m sure these pictures are her...

Here´s an interview with Jenny Peckham who also talks a little bit about Catherine and her new collection:

What was it like seeing Kate Middleton wear your design? Did you know she was going to be wearing your dress?
Yes, we were completely involved, and it was really fantastic. It was lovely working with her, like it is working with any other person. We dressed Angelina Jolie a couple weeks before that, which was really exciting as well. I love meeting customers because I learn so much about how they're thinking.

Read more: Fashion Week: 5 Questions With Designer Jenny Packham - TIME NewsFeed

from the same page:Kate Middletons Fashion Evolution-I´ve clicked through all the pictures,they really picked very nice photos :)
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2065084_2298323,00.html

Last edited:
The September 4 pics were widely circulated as being from the shopping trip in Hungerford on that date, but they are from last December. So the most recent Kate pics are the ones from Peter Jones in which Kate is shopping for home stuff. Sorry for the confusion!

Kate was seen a couple of days ago in Scotland wearing tweed and waterproofs. No pics.

You should listen to or read the transcripts of the tapes Jackie recorded, you may view her differently after. She herself says JFK orginally considered her and her clothes a huge political liability but to his credit never asked her to change.....Caroline Kennedy just released the tapes and put out a book if them....just an OT FYI

That's very old news actually. It's been known as far back as when Sarah Bradford wrote her biography on JKO. And it's also why she had to hire Oleg Cassini to be her main designer during the White House years (Cassini was also hired because the clothing and hat unions supported JFK heartily, and it was Jackie's and Jack's way of acknowledging their support by hiring an American designer). However, when her clothing overshadowed him in Paris, Vienna and London in 1961, he didn't whine about his policies being ignored. He figured out how to use Jacqueline's style as an asset to draw attention to his goals. (Her goodwill trip to India and Pakistan, where her clothing also drew attention, was one such example.) And he was consistant in valuing it the next few years. Even in Nov. 1963, he was complimenting her on her wardrobe being as asset. He famously said "There are going to be all these rich Republican women at that lunch...Show these Texans what good taste really is." (Bradford 263)

And, yes, haute couture is expensive. JFK complained about that, but he was complaining about that before the White House years. But complaining about expense of clothing is NOT the same as whining about her style overshadowing him. Plus, Jackie did recycle her clothes during the White House years (both state gowns and casual clothing).

Furthermore, I've been reading about JKO since I was in my teens. Nothing surprises me about her. I was never just been interested in her solely for her fashion. I've read tons of stuff about her life pre, post, and during the White House years. And I'm one of the few people who actually read books edited by her prior to this year (when 2 books about her editing career have been published). Therefore, my mind remains unchanged and I stick to my points.

To get to Kate. I think the casual clothing she is wearing now reflects her lifestyle. Right now, she might be an heir to the the heir's wife, but she's living in a small town in Wales. Wearing high fashion there would be inappropriate. The low-keyness fits in. I do think though she is subtly upgrading all the same. She looks much more put together than what she did 5 years ago, and especially 8-9 years ago.

Last edited:
I like the post on Jaqcueline Kennedy:flowers:
Fashion is often underrated and seen as shallow but nowadays the pictures and images are getting more important than information - everyone in almost every part of the world likes to look at Kate and her beautiful dresses but who really wants to know everything about her political views?While I am very interested in trying to figure out the personality and character behind the public image of famous people or royals,the general public is satisfied with commenting on her style and figure.Most people expect her to look pleasant and smile all the time and that´s it! Many self-declared intellectuals call fashion-interested folks superficial or even silly but forget to think about the importance of clothes and the underlying message they can convey-for me fashion can either be a pile of fabrics or a piece of applied arts-it´s just the way you want to look at it,you can interpret a lot & get a lot of information out of the way someone dresses-this is how a person wants to see him/herself and it can tell you a lot about the social background,true character and habits of the wearer if you are willing and able to read between lines.

->For me JK remains the best-dressed US-First lady ever,she was also extremely smart and knew how to use her influence and the attention she got,this is something that every good-looking woman can learn from her-don´t hide your beauty but use it to your advantage! I guess that Kate knows this very well and therefore she seems to be very thoughtful to decide what to wear at what occasion and she improved her style a lot over the years.

Last edited:
Methinks selective amnesia was in the air when that "US Fashion Police" article was written. (Last time I checked, Vivienne Westwood still hails from Great Britain. Not to mention that the US Vogue praised Kate's style post-Canada tour.) However, given that the author kept making over-generalizations and rather sweeping statements, the jingoist slant doesn't surprise me.

Very well-written article:flowers:

Did you read what they wrote below her image? Here is is:
Elegance and subtlety ... Americans could learn from Kate.

...Wow,this really sums up everything that´s been discussed in the previous posts and threads concerning Kate´s style and influence on fashion :lol:
No offense,I really like the USA and the people there but a few individuals exploit their freedom of choice to wear freaky fashion for everyday that is even too funny and weird to be worn at a gay parade....!

I am not a big fan of the article above,it is only trying to catch attention with an emotional headline and Kates name,but they chose very nice pictures with some of her best looks IMO.

Actually I think the article is more important for what it doesn't say. Namely if Catherine wears something thousands of other women want to wear the same thing. And that "same thing" is not new, cutting edge, or avant-garde, and it owes nothing to the Fashionista's who, until now, have decided what is and what is not "IN".

Ann Hathaway said it all:

Anne Hathaway takes inspiration from Duchess of Cambridge at One Day premiere - hellomagazine.com

Bye, bye pink hair and matching tights! Lady Gaga, take a hike. "Appropriate" is fun and back in style.

Actually I think the article is more important for what it doesn't say. Namely if Catherine wears something thousands of other women want to wear the same thing. And that "same thing" is not new, cutting edge, or avant-garde, and it owes nothing to the Fashionista's who, until now, have decided what is and what is not "IN".

Ann Hathaway said it all:

Anne Hathaway takes inspiration from Duchess of Cambridge at One Day premiere - hellomagazine.com

Bye, bye pink hair and matching tights! Lady Gaga, take a hike. "Appropriate" is fun and back in style.

That article and this quote seriously over-generalizes the fashion world. Not everybody wears shocking hair or the latest over-the-top trends. Just take a survey of Vogue editors and their personal styles: Anna Wintour, Emma Alt, Franca Sozzani. Or others from within the fashion world: Taylor Tomasi Hill, Giovanna Battalgia, Kate Moss. Lady Gaga is a pop star who has managed to worm her way into the fashion world. She is the exception, not the rule, of how people dress within it.

As someone who has followed high fashion for awhile, it amuses me to no end just how much ignorance there is written about it by people from outside from the fashion industry.

I am not a big fan of the article above,it is only trying to catch attention with an emotional headline and Kates name,but they chose very nice pictures with some of her best looks IMO.

I think the headline was overdramatic, but I think the pictures they chose to showcase were chosen on purpose to show that there is nothing wrong with Kate's clothes or fashion. She is not high fashion chic, but she looks nice but her fashion is not a WOW.

As someone who has followed high fashion for awhile, it amuses me to no end just how much ignorance there is written about it people from outside from the fashion industry.
That still does not alter the fact that a woman with little fashion knowledge and absolutely no experience is setting trends that Anna Wintour and company can only dream about and are bent out of shape that this nobody is creating fashion trends with a power that they can only dream about.

I can only imagine how p***** they are that she has the power. They don't. :D

I had to laugh when I read that headline in the morning. Just because Kate doesn't inspire the fashion world and they criticize her from time to time, doesn't mean that they HATE her. Hate is strong word, but that's how the DM works, right? :rolleyes:

That still does not alter the fact that a woman with little fashion knowledge and absolutely no experience is setting trends that Anna Wintour and company can only dream about and are bent out of shape that this nobody is creating fashion trends with a power that they can only dream about.

I can only imagine how p***** they are that she has the power. They don't. :D

Well, Anna Wintour's face isn't on every tabloid's cover these days. Kate is hyped be the media at the moment and I think that would have happened to any woman (no matter what style she has I think) William would have chosen as his wife. So yes, that attention gives her power.
Kate is a nice looking young woman with a pretty and most of the time appropriate style, that's all.
I don't know if thousands of women dress like her - I personally don't think she sets trends, but wears what is trendy. Her style isn't bad at all, but to me a bit too plain and old. She's not an inspiration for me or the young women I know (whether in GER or in Paris - I have no clue about Britain). Just my opinion and not meant to sound harsh/provocative. :)

Well, Anna Wintour's face isn't on every tabloid's cover these days. Kate is hyped be the media at the moment and I think that would have happened to any woman (no matter what style she has I think) William would have chosen as his wife. So yes, that attention gives her power.
Kate is a nice looking young woman with a pretty and most of the time appropriate style, that's all.
That is the whole point. Catherine is a very nice young lady who dresses nicely but somewhat conservatively and any fashion house that dresses her, be it couture or high street, have people pounding down their doors and their stock flying off the racks.

She is known by many young women and, as Ann Hathaway obviously felt an affinity with her style, and was not not backward about announcing that Catherine is making 'appropriate' fun, Catherine obviously has some serious transatlantic devotees.

I don't know if thousands of women dress like her - I personally don't think she sets trends, but wears what is trendy. Her style isn't bad at all, but to me a bit too plain and old. She's not an inspiration for me or the young women I know (whether in GER or in Paris - I have no clue about Britain). Just my opinion and not meant to sound harsh/provocative. :)
I definitely do not think she is in any way trendy. Not in her style or choice of dress. To be honest many fashion magazines are bemoaning the fact that she dresses safely, cautiously, boringly. But there are large numbers of women on both sides of the Atlantic who agree with her. They may not dress like her yet, but they aspire to, and therein lies her power. That does not however, make her a style icon. Yet!

I think she is indeed a fashion trender..not only because of her clothes, but because of her body, of her hair, and her way of living...because of her natural beauty...

I think she is indeed a fashion trender..not only because of her clothes, but because of her body, of her hair, and her way of living...because of her natural beauty...
Completely agree,Kate doesn't need to satisfy all the fashion trends of time,she is very nice and has a classical style,that is why she couldn't been missed from the public eyes anyway.

Kate isn't a trendsetter I do think she follows them and stays within the style that makes her comfortable. That is a lot better then someone trying to set a trend and looking uncomfortable. Kate is often seen wearing clothes that are off the rack that makes her style more available to a wider range of people. I do think she does dress a little boring but I think that is her way off not taking attention off William and what they are doing. I wouldn't mind her revving things up from time to time and taking a risk or two. For now she is playing things very safe only time will tell if she has any real impact on fashion. So far she hasn't really been wow!

Liz Jones is a terribly insecure, bitter, desperate and pathetic woman who needs plastic surgery and botox (she writes about it every other day) in order to feel good about herself because she cant cope with naturalness what includes ageing. She is about superficiality and image only and I bet she asks herself the question "Why cant I be Kate Middleton?" while writing such pointless articles.

Agreed! I recall reading laments from various labels about how women would demand a copy of something worn by Kate, only to learn it was an item she'd had several years, or had bought on sale, and was no longer available.

Really Kate is in something of a quandary; she has to promote British fashion yet clearly doesn't want to become a clotheshorse. So far, she has done well.

She hasn't done bad, that's true. The thing with that Duchess is that she's faking it. I see no real grace, no natural elegance in this girl, sorry. She can wear the best-tailored suit, stand correctly etc. but then she'll soon crack that silly smile and her middle-class mediocrity is back... :yuk: Don't get me wrong, she dresses well (just well, I haven't spotted any superb appearance yet) but ordinarily 'elegant', her style just doesn't interest me anymore. ;) My two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by middle-class mediocrity?

We all see things differently, because I personally think she has a lovely smile and a natural grace/elegance.

I don't feel at ease with this actual vision according to which women are only considered as interesting if they have a good style. Kate has her own style: she feels good in her clothes, so what? I don't like this dictat of fashion.
Women have a personnality, they can't be limited to what they wear. This is a very reductive vision of them. At the beginning I didn't care of all that was said about Catherine, but now, when I read all these articles or posts on various forums, I think that people should find another aim in their life than alqays criticizing her. If she was a bad wife, living a scandalous life, she could be criticized. Who cares if Catherine wears boots, or other pieces that don't correspond to the actual fashion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom