The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I don't care for the outfit as a whole, according to "What Kate Wore," the blouse has a pretty peplum effect when worn untucked, and it's a shame to hide it by tucking it into the skirt. It would look attractive worn untucked with, say, just a pair of skinny jeans and navy flats.

And, as some people have suggested, the skirt might look better worn with another piece. Together, they simply look too "costume-y".

Duke of Marmalade said:
While I didint see the necessity to "dress down" I didnt see the necessity to show up in a brand new look-at-me Sarah Burton combo on this particular occasion either.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/19/article-0-0D7DC21000000578-411_306x948.jpg
A simple elegant non-label-screaming suit would have done it. But this is not only over the top but takes away the attention from the purpose, why she was there.

Totally agree with you.
This outfit was too loud for the event. Like I said before, Kate does not even have the curves to wear a dress like this. She looked like she was going to a costume party.

The thing about recycling this outfit is that it will announce "recycled outfit" if she ever wears either part without the other. Since they are designed to go together and are practically a dress, I'm guessing she keeps it that way.

I was a little surprised at the price tag for the outfit (mentioned above) and would hope she'd get more than one use out of it. I think she'd have done well to wear a blazer, a blouse with a hint of military styling (if she was keen on that) and a well-styled navy blue skirt. She should take a page from her husband's book - get a very well fitting suit and wear it often, don't fall into the fashion doll trap.

The outfit makes me think that her designer (was it Burton again?) got her keyed up about looking "military" (having run out of ideas) and we can look for more of the same "theming" in the future, until Kate gets more of a handle on how she wants to handle her daily daytime style.

Now I can't wait to see when (and if) she wears this again.

I really didn't see the reason for a military look for the purpose of this particular visit. When William and Kate attended the Irish Guards Medal Parade in June and he was dressed in his uniform, I liked how Kate also picked up the theme of the occasion in her outfit. There, it was more suitable; here, not so. I also think wearing a jacket or blazer would have completed the outfit; to me, she looked like she walked out of the house missing a critical item of clothing. I will never forget the day years ago when I rushed out of my house late to work to commute to Manhattan, forgetting my suit jacket hanging on the stair newel. I felt so uncomfortable throughout the day just wearing my long-sleeved blouse and skirt. I'm just glad I didn't forget anything else!;) Just my opinion, as always.

You are a very wicked person with an incredibly warped sense of humour, although in this case, I'll give you a pass. :whistling:

Thank you! Sometimes my sense of humor can be a tad off the wall; keeps life interesting. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think that a simple skirt and coat would be fine for this kind of event...she is overdressed...way too mucht!

Good gawd people its an ugly outfit, its not like she committed high treason.

Good gawd people its an ugly outfit, its not like she committed high treason.

Seriously. She wore a skirt and a blouse. You may like it, you may not, but she did not commit a crime for Pete's sake.

I do not understand the VENOM that has been expressed against a woman all based on a SKIRT and a BLOUSE. She and William offered comfort to victims of the riot. Those they visited seemed grateful for the visit. Shouldn't that be enough?

I don't mean to offend anyone, this is just my opinion.

I’m fairly new to the forum, but just felt this should be addressed. I thought that this was the objective of this thread: to discuss Kate’s daytime fashion. As far as I can see, the majority of posts here state objective opinions on her outfit and certainly didn't imply that she committed a crime or treason or were venomous in reaction. Yes, some comments are facetious but not malicious and certainly entertaining, which to me is the purpose of this forum. Some members liked the outfit, others declared their reasons for disliking what she wore and gave alternate suggestions. That certainly didn’t appear to me to be a personal attack on Kate, just a discussion of her clothing. My own comments don't reflect any dislike for her; I truly like this lady and the forum allows me to express my opinion on whatever the topic is. Perhaps some think it’s overkill that members are coming on here and repeating what others had said previously, but everyone has the right to state his or her opinion, even if it’s repetitive. If there was anything truly offensive said, I’m sure the moderators would have interceded. And we all realize the purpose of the couple's visit and are respectful of that and mindful of the gravity of the situation. This certainly is my opinion. :flowers:

I’m fairly new to the forum, but just felt this should be addressed. I thought that this was the objective of this thread: to discuss Kate’s daytime fashion. As far as I can see, the majority of posts here state objective opinions on her outfit and certainly didn't imply that she committed a crime or treason or were venomous in reaction. Yes, some comments are facetious but not malicious and certainly entertaining, which to me is the purpose of this forum. Some members liked the outfit, others declared their reasons for disliking what she wore and gave alternate suggestions. That certainly didn’t appear to me to be a personal attack on Kate, just a discussion of her clothing. My own comments don't reflect any dislike for her; I truly like this lady and the forum allows me to express my opinion on whatever the topic is. Perhaps some think it’s overkill that members are coming on here and repeating what others had said previously, but everyone has the right to state his or her opinion, even if it’s repetitive. If there was anything truly offensive said, I’m sure the moderators would have interceded. And we all realize the purpose of the couple's visit and are respectful of that and mindful of the gravity of the situation. This certainly is my opinion. :flowers:

I understand and actually agree with what you are saying Baroness. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

I think I have allowed the tone from a different thread to cloud my interpretation of what I am reading here.

I am new to posting on any forum and I find it difficult to decipher tone and intent in some cases. But I guess that is a problem I must work out for myself.

I apologize if I have offended anyone or gone too off topic.

:previous: You're more than welcome; glad this clarifies somewhat and you'll get accustomed to this as you go along. :)

Last edited:
Not liking her clothes is one thing, acting and making comments like she is being disrespectful to the event is going overboard and being as others have stated, over dramatic and drinking too much of the drama queen gatorade.

I think she is way too thin and the outfit looks like she has lost weight and it no longer fits. Hopes she stops losing weight, she is starting to remind me of Diana in the mid eighties

Duchess Catherine in a very casual look, while having a walk with sister Pippa, along a beach.
I prefer Kate's look to Pippa's one, maybe because of her boots. I'm not very fond of baskets wore with jeans. I like Catherine's sweat, The color is sweet and it seems very soft! It suits well with her trousers.

Last edited:
That's a nice set of pictures; is the beach at Anglesey? I like Kate in her wellies, although I always associated them with walks in the fields or working in stables or barns. But more sensible to walk rocky shores and wet surfaces than sneakers. And her cowl-necked sweater gives her such a soft look; she really looks good in casual wear. It's nice to see such a close relationship between the two sisters. I wonder if the group of people with them are family or friends.

I also like the last picture of her walking on the beach with her sister :)
Many ppl comment on her weight-loss- it´s probably due to all of the stress and pressure she has to cope with now....I guess she´s acutely aware that she is always under close supervision and everything she does or says can be used against her...

Perfectly dressed and looks like she is keeping warm but not in such heavy clothing. The pink turtleneck is a perfect length (hate the short ones) and is a great color on her.

Many ppl comment on her weight-loss- it´s probably due to all of the stress and pressure she has to cope with now....I guess she´s acutely aware that she is always under close supervision and everything she does or says can be used against her...

I'm sure despite all the warnings by William, Charles, Camilla et al about intense scrutiny being a royal, Kate never expected this despite all the years of preparation prior to the wedding. You never know what you're getting into until you're actually in it! No doubt a great part of her weight loss is not by choice at this point. :sad:

Last edited:

This is a fashion thread, further weight discussions will be deleted without notice! Thanks for your understanding!

...here is a beautiful closeup of Catherine when she wore the much-discussed outfit :) Her hair looks so great in these images with soft waves!I like the blouse and the skirt a lot,they have beautiful details and a flattering cut,but I wouldn´t wear them together.I hope she is going to wear them again,they can be matched with other garments and make a very modern but still elegant look.

http://willandkate-windsor.tumblr.com/

Herzogin Catherine: Kates neue Kleider - Als knigliche Hoheit steht Herzogin Catherine auc... - gala.de

a slideshow with some of her most beautiful and also the not-so-good-outfits from Kate in a German glossy magazines webpage. (Just click on the images to see the next one)

Kate Middleton Photos - Prince William and Kate Middleton Visit Birmingham - Zimbio

another collection of Kate-pictures :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...here is a beautiful closeup of Catherine when she wore the much-discussed outfit :) Her hair looks so great in these images with soft waves!I like the blouse and the skirt a lot,they have beautiful details and a flattering cut,but I wouldn´t wear them together.I hope she is going to wear them again,they can be matched with other garments and make a very modern but still elegant look.

A Fairytale Romance

There's one closeup that shows Kate's earrings very well. They look like the ones she wore at the official engagement announcement with her blue Issa dress.

Last edited:
I love the beach look. Ive seen a lot of people wear that and I usually like it on everyone. But the boots look like the ones fisherman wear to work.
After closer inspection on the outfit for visiting riot victims, I still say it ugly but in no way disrespectful. I swear my 3rd grade teacher wore something like that to school one day and that was 20yrs ago.

Royal Newbie, the purpose of this forum is to discuss and critique the Duchess's clothing choices. It is specifically a fashion thread, and disliking a given outfit does not imply dislike for the Duchess herself or for the event that she happens to be attending. We talk about clothes here, period, because we are interested in fashion and fashion designers. Sometimes, that will involve discussions of whether or not a given outfit was suited to a given occasion, but again, that doesn't imply some personal animus towards the Duchess herself or towards the occasion on which she wore it. People who feel such animus can discuss their views elsewhere if they feel called upon to do so. Here, we are merely interested in clothes.

And, as the moderator points out yet again, we are NOT interested in anyone's weight.

Last edited:
Royal Newbie, the purpose of this forum is to discuss and critique the Duchess's clothing choices. It is specifically a fashion thread, and disliking a given outfit does not imply dislike for the Duchess herself or for the event that she happens to be attending. We talk about clothes here, period, because we are interested in fashion and fashion designers. Sometimes, that will involve discussions of whether or not a given outfit was suited to a given occasion, but again, that doesn't imply some personal animus towards the Duchess herself or towards the occasion on which she wore it. People who feel such animus can discuss their views elsewhere if they feel called upon to do so. Here, we are merely interested in clothes.

vittoria,thank you for responding to my post. As I stated in response to Baroness of Books, I let what was happening in another thread cloud my perception of what was happening here. My apologies.

I like reading about Catherine's clothes and looking at all the links people provide (thanks to all who posts links!). I admit that I know next to nothing about fashion, etc. I just know what I like and what I don't.

I thought she looked very nice and was dressed appropriately to visit the riot victims. But then I grew up in the 80's and my fashion sense could be horrible. I also liked her casual clothes on her walk with her sister (still feels intrusive to be looking at those images, yet I still do it). I especially want her wellies!

I like the casual beach outfit. Kate looks very nice and so does Pippa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom