The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 4: August 2011 - September 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry. This is nothing frumpy about her style or her hair. She is classic and beautiful. And thats my opinion, obviously you have your own opinion, but I don't think your going to convince most of us. Nuff said.

I have to agree here. Kate has always been simple, elegant and sensible in her dress. Nothing over the top and obviously what she feels comfortable in. She rises to the occasion when she needs to and does look lovely and respectable when required. I do not see why she should dress to "please the crowd".

Last edited:
While I like the classical elegant style in general, I do think Kate dresses too old for her age (she is not even 30 yet) what can look very boring. I can easily imagine most of her outfits on a woman who is 10, 15 over even 20 years older. Not liking the hair hanging down all the time, even more so since the only purpose sometimes seems to be fiddling around with it.

Having said that, Kate does look older than her age already, due to body type (skinny & haggard looking) and heavy eyeliner, it will only increase with stress (what she has had so far is nothing compared to what will be one day).

I see the point in dressing "uniform" or "boring" what Kate very often does (dress, stilettos, coat etc) but its very british and it is in my opinion the only chance she has when avoiding to be about fashion only and not about substance, but of course the media wont play the game.

By no means I see Kate as a "fashion icon", that is somebody who creates a style, not simply buys and wears it, and I dont think that it is something she aspires to be, its mainly the media who tries to label her as one.

Kate is bringing back real style and class. God Bless her for it!

Bringing back? Where did it go? :lol: Catherine's clothes are elegant, and pretty much perfect for her royal as the future Queen. But IMO she dresses way too old for her age and always managed to look boring. But I guess, being a member of the BRF, that's what she's aiming for. Even HM dresses nicer than Catherine most times.

I do think Kate dresses too old for her age (she is not even 30 yet) what can look very boring. I can easily imagine most of her outfits on a woman who is 10, 15 over even 20 years older. Not liking the hair hanging down all the time, even more so since the only purpose sometimes seems to be fiddling around with it.

Having said that, Kate does look older than her age already, due to body type (skinny & haggard looking) and heavy eyeliner, it will only increase with stress (what she has had so far is nothing compared to what will be one day).

By no means I see Kate as a "fashion icon", that is somebody who creates a style, not simply buys and wears it, and I dont think that it is something she aspires to be, its mainly the media who tries to label her as one.

Completely agree with all of that DoM:flowers:

i have to ask what do you call a person who can wear an outfit today and that dress,pant suite ,etc and people copy that look
and can we get away from her eyeliner....really....who cares its "her look"

I think the complexity of dressing to: Be a credit to the U.K. -- not too fashion forward, but not too dowdy; keep the spending on super designer togs within the bounds of good sense; look well for the cameras; be true to oneself; represent UK designers; represent the designers of a country/countries being visited; and finally, reflect well on her husband and the rest of the royal family is a seriously daunting task. And she has met the challenge full well! If not every single piece she wears is perfect, she comes very close -- and she is so new at all of this. Her manner is excellent and she carries herself with dignity and a quiet pride, yet is entirely warm and accessible to those with whom she speaks. I fail to understand how anyone can be so critical of this excellent young woman. Let her have her college moments. She surely should not be judged by them. I think we shall all enjoy seeing how she grows and progresses over the years!

:clap: Very nicely put!

WoW! I have the Issa blue dress; I am 64 years old, and I look fab in it. There are some clothes that span the decades. I still wear a DvF wrap dress I purchased in 1982.

Kate does not look frumpy at all. I do wish she'd stop fiddling with her hair though. In every photo, she's pushing it back or twirling it, or its stuck in her lipstick.

I am not trying to do her down. What I am getting at is that I don't believe the tea party dresses act. This is a girl who didn't bat an eyelid at walking into a crowded room dressed like this;

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/17/article-1289991494685-0C1C419C000005DC-410045_540x584.jpg

I am not at all being critical of her doing that but I am critical of what I perceive to be a false representation of her character ie not that she is immoral but that she isn't as demure (nor IMO should she be) as the impression she is giving. This girl is 29 years old and I think she should enjoy clothes without feeling, because she is now Royal, that she has to look matronly which I'm afraid 99% of the time she does.

Yikes! I had not seen this photo. I only saw the striped cover up, which I thought was cute.

Last edited:
Sadly not a very big picture , but not really a "new " outfit, except for Kate, I have worn stuff like this for years. Yikes maybe it is time for a change!!! :eek:

We are going into the autumn winter season which could be why you are having problems finding the shoes.
Didn't like the bit about KP smelling damp and musty, you would have thought someone would have opened the windows before they moved in !

We are going into the autumn winter season which could be why you are having problems finding the shoes.
Didn't like the bit about KP smelling damp and musty, you would have thought someone would have opened the windows before they moved in !

I'm going to guess that no one thought of that (of if they did, the amount of time the place was aired out wasn't enough). You're right about the shoe issue, though I would have hoped that since I'm in New York City, I would have no trouble finding them ('cause almost everything can be found here, once one knows where to look).

Perhaps they might buy a dehumidifier for the musty smell if opening the windows doesn't help! ;)

Here's a bigger picture (and the article that goes with it). I love her shoes. Have been hoping to find something similar, but had no luck. Overall, I think she looked nice. The top is very pretty.

PIC: Duchess Kate Shops for Home Goods, Carries Own Bags - UsMagazine.com

Those kitten heels have been really popular lately. Daria, you might want to try the online shoe stores if you're having trouble finding them. I know there are flats for the fall season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those kitten heels have been really popular lately. Daria, you might want to try the online shoe stores if you're having trouble finding them. I know there are flats for the fall season.

I may have to go that route, thanks so much for the suggestion :flowers:. I agree about the dehumidifier. It'll do wonders.

Anyhow, back to fashion chat.

that is so true because there are some royals that cant seem to get it right no matter what help they receive...

coughFergiecough
Although she does better now that she is older and divorced.

I kind of like the sweater thing she is wearing in that new picture. I would totally wear that and unlike her other clothes I might be able to get away with it.

Last edited:
I am not trying to do her down. What I am getting at is that I don't believe the tea party dresses act. This is a girl who didn't bat an eyelid at walking into a crowded room dressed like this;

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/17/article-1289991494685-0C1C419C000005DC-410045_540x584.jpg

I am not at all being critical of her doing that but I am critical of what I perceive to be a false representation of her character ie not that she is immoral but that she isn't as demure (nor IMO should she be) as the impression she is giving. This girl is 29 years old and I think she should enjoy clothes without feeling, because she is now Royal, that she has to look matronly which I'm afraid 99% of the time she does.

Oh...ah...gee...wow....I gather that's not a bare-chested William...uh...clutching the future Duchess of Cambridge's hand. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh...ah...gee...wow....I gather that's not a bare-chested William...uh...clutching the future Duchess of Cambridge's hand. :lol:

I'd venture that it's not.

Now, here's something that I think is rather interesting. I've heard of some stores having items that look like something Catherine may have worn, but have never seen it. New York & Co. came up with a whole line of Duchess-of-Cambridge-style attire (or so they claim).

New York & Company - Outfitting - Diary of a Princess

:previous: Clever advertising. Pull together various pieces of clothing you would normally see into a whole different wardrobe, jump on the bandwagon and affiliate it with Kate, and it sells. Or, considering the Kardashian girls' foray into fashion, should the line be called the "Kate Kollection?" :whistling:

P.S. And I really didn't think that was a bare-chested William; my tongue was so firmly planted in my cheek with that one! :D

Last edited:
:previous: Clever advertising. Pull together various pieces of clothing you would normally see into a whole different wardrobe, jump on the bandwagon and affiliate it with Kate, and it sells. Or, considering the Kardashian girls' foray into fashion, should the line be called the "Kate Kollection?" :whistling:

P.S. And I really didn't think that was a bare-chested William; my tongue was so firmly planted in my cheek with that one! :D

'Kate Kollection' clever :lol:. She dresses classy, so if one knows what to look for, it's not that difficult to find. NY&Co. carries a lot of pieces that are similar to what Catherine wears. I use that store to get all my teaching/interview attire.

Where did the photo come from? I have only seen the one of catherine with the see-thru nightdress.

I am not at all being critical of her doing that but I am critical of what I perceive to be a false representation of her character ie not that she is immoral but that she isn't as demure (nor IMO should she be) as the impression she is giving.
Somehow I think it is only the Victoria Secret's models that are "labelled" by what they model and that is as mistaken an impression as yours is of Catherine as well.

Your persistant demand that everyone accept that Catherine is a closet exhibitionist just waiting to flaunt herself in racey, questionable or just plain vulgar taste, for the delectation of the world's press corp, is just as misguided and tedious!

This girl is 29 years old and I think she should enjoy clothes without feeling, because she is now Royal, that she has to look matronly which I'm afraid 99% of the time she does.
This woman is 29 and, like most other 29 year olds, doesn't wear the same clothes she wore when she was 19!

Last edited:
Where did the photo come from? I have only seen the one of catherine with the see-thru nightdress.
It's from the St. Andrew's fashion show..though I think it is the only picture of that particular outfit (if you can even call it that). I'm surprised there aren't more pictures of it, but maybe that's a good thing because I have a feeling people would make a much bigger deal out of it compared to the see-thru dress.

It's from the St. Andrew's fashion show..though I think it is the only picture of that particular outfit (if you can even call it that). I'm surprised there aren't more pictures of it, but maybe that's a good thing because I have a feeling people would make a much bigger deal out of it compared to the see-thru dress.
Now that is one sexy pose and if Wiilliam saw that I can imagine him getting a little "interested", as opposed to the positively tame nightie thingee. I never could see the attraction . . . . . :lol:

MARG said:

I've actually seen this photo several places before....

I've actually seen this photo several places before....

I have too actually. I am new to royal watching and that picture is one of the first I saw. I couldn't figure out why everyone was talking about the see-through dress and not the other picture. I just assumed nobody found it interesting!

Thank you for the info regarding the picture. This is my first time seeing it.

MARG, I love your description of the picture. Made me giggle :lol:.

Last but not least, I found this on my twitter. Not at all surprising.

https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/...Q73Q68Q69Q6fQ6eQ26Q73Q65Q69Q64Q3dQ61Q75Q74Q6f

Last edited:

It's time to get back to the topic of this thread, the Duchess of Cambridge's current fashion choices - thanks!

What does that NY article say? It says I have to login to view it?

I'll try to post the text here. The article deals with Catherine's style's influence on New York fashion.

Are the ‘RepliKates’ Ready to March?
by Ruthla Ferla

AS he lounged near a pool in Southampton, N.Y., last month, Wes Gordon had an epiphany. A group of young women gathered nearby were poring over an issue of People, its pages teeming with images of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. Sheathed in trim-fitting dresses, her slender arms covered almost to the wrist, the duchess impressed them as a model of regal aplomb.

They could not seem to get enough of her, Mr. Gordon recalled. Not her slim dresses, nor her pumps, her J Brand jeans or see-through hose. But mostly they chattered about her sleeves. Those long sleeves were a touch, said the designer (who will show his spring line at the Hosfelt Gallery on Thursday) “that six months ago not one of those girls would have commented on.”

Catherine’s style — streamlined and seemly almost to a fault — resonates as well with scores of young women who aspire to a classically patrician look but who have, until recently, had few credible role models. To court them, Mr. Gordon said, designers must ask themselves, “How do I make elegance relevant to someone who’s young?

“To some degree,” he said, “Kate supplies the answer.”

Indeed, Kate’s influence will be felt on the runways on Thursday when New York Fashion Week begins, if not in any literal sense, then surely as a state of mind. “We are in a Kate moment,” said Ed Burstell, the managing director for Liberty of London. Mr. Burstell, who expects to see a pronounced “Kate effect” in New York this week, added that since her recent tours abroad, “everyone wants to look like her, to act like her, to be her.”

Or maybe just to dress her. Less impressed by her wardrobe than by her infectious mix of ebullience and propriety, Seventh Avenue designers as diverse as Vera Wang, Tory Burch, Peter Som and Tommy Hilfiger have acknowledged her widening influence.

“We are definitely returning to a time when we want things that are more timeless and polished, not looking a mess,” said Rachel Zoe, the Hollywood stylist turned fashion designer, whose fame once rested on her luxuriously disheveled approach to dress. The duchess represents a return to classicism, said Ms. Zoe, who will offer “Savile Row-style” tailoring and herringbone tweeds in her show next week, in a nod, however oblique, to American notions of British taste and refinement.
Jason Wu’s current concept of chic will entail “an old-school silhouette,” he said, shapely and controlled but voluminous at times, reminiscent of a princess in a fairy tale. A couple of years ago, the deliberately dissolute look of a model off duty was a strong inspiration, he said. “Now people are interested in looking ladylike.”

Mr. Wu, who first gained recognition when he dressed American royalty in the person of Michelle Obama, sees fashion becoming more refined and less aggressive, he said, as slashed jeans and biker jackets give way to demure dresses and blazers. “The duchess is part of that,” he said.

Mr. Hilfiger will make a subtle detour from his signature preppy style, introducing a more restrained and worldly look for spring. “We like our woman to be dressed up from head to toe,” said Mr. Hilfiger, who will parade Macintosh fabrics and Prince of Wales plaids on his catwalk. In a departure from his willfully incongruous pattern mix of last season, “we will be really very studied about how we’re putting our outfits together,” he said, to the point of offering matching shoes and bags — an apparent homage to Britain’s future queen.

Kate’s impact, he predicted, will be all but inescapable: “She will influence all markets.”
Indeed there is plenty to suggest that her influence is already widely felt in the mainstream, as moderate chains like Zara, Reiss, Talbots and Topshop cater to a taste for replicKates, as bloggers have called them: pert shirtwaists, lace sheaths and primly tailored coatdresses.

Nor are the affluent immune to her charms. “We are not necessarily going to see exact adaptations of what she is wearing,” said Ken Downing, the fashion director of Neiman Marcus, but she wields an impact just the same. “Dressing up is the new cool, and dressing down is old school,” he continued. “I attribute much of that to Kate.”

Despite her popularity, the duchess has detractors. Invoking her name to describe a collection can signal disdain. That seemed to be the case when, following a Valentino couture show in July, Giancarlo Giammetti, a former owner of the brand, pronounced the collection “very Kate Middleton,” a casually blistering reference to a line replete with discreetly scooped necklines and long sleeves, traditional touches that act like catnip on trend-averse socialites.

Kate’s advent is timely nonetheless. Her unflagging graciousness, guileless manner and nonthreatening good looks are viewed by admirers as a tonic, the sparkling antidote to excess. “There’s nothing trashy or vulgar about her,” said Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue, which has featured the duchess several times. “She dresses her age and never looks out of place.”

Catherine is, in Mr. Burstell’s term, “the anti-Kardashian,” a bracing antithesis to the strident style and manner of many Hollywood celebrities, who “look so phony by comparison,” he said, “with their paid endorsements and brand-ambassador deals.” Diane Von Furstenberg, whose dresses the duchess has worn, said that she represents a craving for a proper alternative to the “housewives,” a reference to the popular television reality series.

Few would call Catherine adventurous, or even especially chic. “She is no Daphne Guinness,” Ms. Wintour allowed. As a standard-bearer of the status quo, she speaks to a conservative mind-set conspicuous on the runways of late. Particularly in a sluggish economy, “designers feel they have to be reactive, to provide consumers with less risk,” said Marshal Cohen, chief analyst with the NPD group, the consumer research firm. “When they see an influence like Kate, some of them will jump all over it, if only to validate what they are already doing.”

Still, there is something in the tale of a commoner who finally weds her prince that appeals to people’s inner Cinderella. And there are plenty of designers who will cater to their fantasies, parading frocks with princess seaming, billowing gowns and maybe even a saucy hat or two. “That fairy tale aspect of fashion is what appeals to Americans,” Ms. Zoe said. “Who doesn’t want to see the storybook come alive?”

Link just in case.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/f...unways-new-york-fashion-week.html?_r=1&src=tp

Moderators, feel free to move this if it belongs elsewhere. Since it deals with Catherine's fashion, I thought it would be a good article to place in this thread. Thanks and my apologies for any inconveniences.

Yesterday I went shopping in Vienna and I´ve seen so many styles and dresses where I thought to myself "That´s so-Kate!" She really has a great impact on fashion-maybe not that obvious as other style icons but I see that the designs and silhouettes have changed a lot. Away from the short skirts and miniskirts,revealing tops and Kate Moss´ heroin chic there are more neutral colours,less crazy patterns,more long dresses with flattering cuts,dresses that emphasize the waistline,floweral prints,silk blouses and embroidered clothes that look quite elegant without being old-fashioned.

Well blauerengel all I can say is I wish I could post ... yesterday I went shopping in Vienna... ENVY
Mods feel free to delete this but my envy will still remain.

I live in Vienna,so it´s nothing special...But I´m sure one day you will be able to visit Vienna too & I can show you around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom