The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion, Part 3: July 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lady Gudgeon said:
Arriving at the polo match. Love the shoes...hate the dress.

I saw this dress live (on TV) and honestly it's not attractive IMO, love the shoes. Not her best but certainly not her worst either....

I actually really like this dress. I've been hoping to see her in more patterns and this one looks lovely on her.

As for her hair, I don't mind it being down. I use to want her to wear it up more often, but I realize that's not going to happen. She is just more comfortable with it down.

My problem with the hair is that it is always in her face. If she were just a normal person, sure, wear your hair down everyday, who cares. But as a person with such a public role, I think it's inappropriate to be constantly playing with (or fixing) your hair or attire. It's like when someone wears a strapless dress but spends the entire night pulling it up...just wear something different!

I think 'always in her face' is a pretty gross overstatement. I've just watched her walk the length of the (considerable) red carpet at the polo club, which is outdoors, and not once did her hands go anywhere near her face. On a couple of occasions during this tour the wind has been exceptionally strong - evidenced by the fact that the weighted down skirt of Kate's dress still managed to fly up.

I'm sorry but I just don't see that infrequently checking you hair is a social faux pas. Anyone who's watched Charles at all with have seen him checking to ensure that his comb over has stayed in place and he certainly doesn't have long and lustrous hair!

I saw this dress live (on TV) and honestly it's not attractive IMO, love the shoes. Not her best but certainly not her worst either....
'
Can't say how it looked on TV, but it looks great online. This is a pretty dress and she looks very nice in it.

I loved the pale lavender-gray Roksanda Illincic dress, somewhat to my surprise, since I am not a ruffles person. But the unusual asymmetric cut on the top and the slim skirt delighted me. A beautiful, elegant design.

The Diane von Furstenberg dress made me shrug. Nice almond-green color, rather interesting at back, but basically boring. I'm normally a great DvF fan -- I own three of her dresses -- but this one didn't excite me.

I'm also not excited by florals. I liked the sandals, but the Packham dress for the polo event left me cold, both on the basis of the floral fabric and the overall cut, which is really nothing to write home about.

Last edited:
I just realize at polo Kate's wearing open toed shoes. Not big but a open peep toe nonetheless so much for it's against Royal protocol to wear open toed shoes :)

After all the cream's & navy's she's worn in Canada, the print is a nice change. Great shoes too!

Arriving at the polo match. Love the shoes...hate the dress. I'm glad she went with something patterned but I don't like the pattern. It looks like some old curtains or something. And I would have liked to see a belt. What has she got against belts? I think several of her dresses would have looked more finished with a belt. PW looks great!

My problem with the hair is that it is always in her face. If she were just a normal person, sure, wear your hair down everyday, who cares. But as a person with such a public role, I think it's inappropriate to be constantly playing with (or fixing) your hair or attire. It's like when someone wears a strapless dress but spends the entire night pulling it up...just wear something different!

My preference for her hair is half up, half down. That way it's out of her face and people can see her (and she's not constantly messing with it), but it's also long and flowy and can still be her "trademark." Just my opinion...

Agreed. She does have a problem with running her fingers through her hair even if it is just the front part. That and she paid a hairdresser to travel with her and yet we have yet to see very much variety. She is becoming a head of hair and you don't want that.

I just realize at polo Kate's wearing open toed shoes. Not big but a open peep toe nonetheless so much for it's against Royal protocol to wear open toed shoes :)

Honestly, I don't know where that came from. The Queen, the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret have always worn open toed shoes.

The shoes are really nice. I'd love to add those to my collection! The dress isn't bad, but there's something that I don't care for around the waist. Now, one to her hair, she has gorgeous hair, but I have to agree that she does have her hands in it quite often. And she has such a lovely face that she should wear it pulled back more. Variety is the spice of life, so live it up and pull the hair back Duchess!

Finally some "courageous" colour. Love the dress. Looks fantastic on her.

MYROYALS: W

I think Catherine looked great in her cowboy attire, it totally works for her; but she shouldn't do it again. Because cowboy attire by law is uncool no matter what.

The clothes she and William (and other people at the event) is generally called Western clothes, not cowboy clothes. In many parts of the US and Canada western clothes are very common and have a long tradition behind them. So depending where you are the western clothes could be what would be considered very "cool".

I do agree, grevinnan, depending on where you are in the world, western style clothing is the norm. She looked good in the clothes and I would think that she could rework the white shirt into her wardrobe rather easily with a great skirt & jacket. The printed shirt will be harder, but I'm sure that she could wear it when they are out stalking or something.

The brooch/cufflinks have a bear in them because the Polar Bear is a symbol of the North West Territories and a pretty star arrangement is not? :whistling:

Aren't the Northern Lights supposed to be such a symbol?

They could have used colored diamonds or perhaps opals to display them; it would have been exquisite! (Instead she has polar bears which she will probably never wear; it's such a waste!) :bang:

Last edited:
The printed dress is boring, the print reminds me of something you would have on a night gown from La Perla. The overall color is dull and does nothing to Kate. The string/waist tie on the waist is suppose to be fitted I assume but it doesn't seem like it. Kate should've worn a nice belt to brighten the look up.

Im really liking her Sandal heels, very pretty and nice to see she went for something fun then those classic pumps she has been wearing lately.

I just I am bored about her hair, always the same style! she has such a beacutiful hair! she needs Mary's stylist , Soren! so she can have every event soemthing different!

Maybe she is just classical and traditional and does not to look very differently each time

I just I am bored about her hair, always the same style! she has such a beacutiful hair! she needs Mary's stylist , Soren! so she can have every event soemthing different!

I think the same; I´d like see her with a nice hairdo.

I agree boring outfit it's says nothing but the shoes are nice and just her hair what can I say ...boring.

For the final day on tour, 'WhatKateWore' on twitter reports Catherine wears a 'black crocheted knit v-neck sweater over a floaty white/cream skirt'. Which is possibly the 'Reiss Peacock Skirt' (which is from Derby Day I think)!

I'd be very surprised if those d.r.o.n.i.n.g on {and on}about being bored with the Duchess' style have much with which to occupy their thoughts. Fortunately the Duchess is rather busier bringing widespread happiness...

The clothes she and William (and other people at the event) is generally called Western clothes, not cowboy clothes. In many parts of the US and Canada western clothes are very common and have a long tradition behind them. So depending where you are the western clothes could be what would be considered very "cool".
I LOVED them in their Western attire. Even though I think she's far too thin and am kind of worried about her weight, I thought she looked adorable in the bootcut jeans, boots and hat! And PW...HOT in that cowboy hat!!

I wasn't a fan of her lacy white shirt and thought the first one with the black and white design was better (I think a cute plaid one or even a polo shirt would have been even better) but overall I loved both their looks over those two days. Although...why didn't PW have a different shirt for the second day? That was confusing to me.

I'd be very surprised if those d.r.o.n.i.n.g on {and on}about being bored with the Duchess' style have much with which to occupy their thoughts. Fortunately the Duchess is rather busier bringing widespread happiness...
This is a discussion board, right? I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and just because you don't agree doesn't mean that the other people don't have much to occupy their thoughts.

Last edited:
Lady Gudgeon said:
This is a discussion board, right? I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and just because you don't agree doesn't mean that the other people don't have much to occupy their thoughts.

Well put. I myself have grown tired of some plp saying anyone who disagrees or finds Catherine (or the tour) dress/style/actions not absolutly perfect as jealous, mean, critical etc.....you can like her and still be honest about how you feel about her actions/dress ....as long as the post is respectful, we are all allowed our opinions.....

This is also a discussion board about royals. If the rich cultural heritage and current customs regarding the monarchies and royalty are not part of someones realm of interest any opinion will be out of touch.

Would anyone join a discussion board about golf if their only interest and sports knowledge is soccer and their comments within that context?

The royal discussion boards are not about celebrities but about people that by either birth or marriage are carrying out duties that are within today's reality of royalty and monarchies. Sometime some efforts of posters to educate themselves about the how and why certain things are done would greatly improve the tone on these boards.

Last edited:

I live in Texas; far west Texas to be precise. And I stand by my statement that cowboy attire is uncool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to live in West Texas, and in northern New Mexico too.

It all depends on the "cowboy attire" and who is wearing it. I'd certainly not allow one regime's use of cowboy attire to ruin cowboy attire forever.

I now live in Hawaii and California, and I think people (especially in Hawaii) have a very different view about the coolness of cowboy attire than people in West Texas (the paniolos are a much loved tradition on Big Island).

I've disliked the attire long before George Dubya came a long. Since I was very young I just haven't liked it, but everyone is not going to like all types of clothing and style.
For example th people on this board who constantly complain about Kate's eyeliner.

Well put. I myself have grown tired of some plp saying anyone who disagrees or finds Catherine (or the tour) dress/style/actions not absolutly perfect as jealous, mean, critical etc.....you can like her and still be honest about how you feel about her actions/dress ....as long as the post is respectful, we are all allowed our opinions.....

Actually I have been lurking around this thread for a while and I have to disagree. Some of the comments people make are not very respect for that matter true. The other thing is a lot of people who post on here not seem to like her style or are always complaining.

Personally I really like her style and the elegant dress, jewelry, shoes, and makeup she wore to the BAFTAs. Sometimes I think people overexaggerate, but you are entitled to your opinion, but I really think we need to tone down the comments a little. Some are a little insulting whether we mean them to be or not.

William and Kate's Royal Visit: Skid Row next for William and Kate: Glitz and glam swapped for a visit to an Inner-City Arts centre in downtown Los Angeles | Mail Online

Kate's outfit in Skid Row. I really like.:flowers: Lovely crochet top and the pleated white skirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, dear. The white pleated skirt and navy crocheted top (I think that's actually a dress; you can see the bodice and straps) don't do anything for me at all. Another site claims that this is a Whistles outfit; unconfirmed. It just doesn't flatter her, and the navy heels she's wearing with it (plus the sapphire earrings) look too formal. Of all the outfits she's worn on this tour, this and the McQueen "nautical" dress have struck me as the poorest choices.

I personally thought she looked great. She's not a fussy gal, and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom