The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 21: March 2017 - May 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The PM was in black yesterday even before the incident

Quite right. We pay our respects, and we move on.

It's a beautiful spring day. I don't see many people on the streets of central London either in black or other sombre course. Let's not try and impose a false sense of sobriety on our royals.

Move on? It only happened yesterday. No one said any engagements should have been cancelled today but this was/is a huge national tragedy. Our Royals should have been reflecting that in their dress by either wearing black or dark clothes. They are the country's official family and it's pretty basic stuff I would have thought. I can't think of any other RF in Europe where if this had happened in their country yesterday they wouldn't have appeared in mourning today.

Last edited:
The suit is nice, but I'm not a fan of the big black buttons.

No, black is not necessary, but neither is bright pink appropriate.

The Queen wore a white and turquoise flowered dress when she visited Ground Zero in 2010. Camilla wore a bright pink suit when she visited in 2005. People show up to the the memorial in all kinds of outfits. Catherine's pink coat was fine.

I thought the Duchess looked good today and dressed appropriately.

In terms of wearing black, the BRF have never done this and the UK has had to endure some appalling disasters incl Aberfan (116 children and 28 adults died) and the Queen did not wear black when she visited. It wasnt done for any other terrorist attacks.

The red dress is beautiful and elegant. I love the print.

I like the cut, colour and style of this two ensemble and her accessories were and interesting grayish beige shade, griege perhaps. The dress rescued them! I cannot own to liking the pattern . . . I have a kitchen drawer full of tea towels just like it and am looking for more. :D

As to the quibble about the colour, the PM was in black prior to the attack and, on international TV she stated among other things, 'tomorrow millions of people will go about their business as usual, no one can tear us apart.' I am not sure if the 9:33am minute of silence was national or police in honour of their fallen comrade. But her message was clear.

I think people look at say Mathilde at the Belgian memorial or such, and expect the same. We do see the British royaks when on the continent, wearing more somber colors at memorials like the Somme. But this is different. Neither Kate nor Sophie were visiting the site or visiting victims. They were both at unrelated events. And as the people of London are doing, they are carrying on.

Now if Kate had visited the hospital or site it would be different. Not necessarily black, but I'd expect a bit more subdued.

Now back to her look....

I quite like the color. Kate always looks great in red. And the style as always suits her :flowers:

But I am on the 'pattern looks like my dish cloth' team. And the big black buttons are odd.

Agree. Black is not necessary but at least a sobre color. Blue, grey, even off white, but no bright color

I agree with this. Whilst I like Catherine's outfit, during this time it wasn't the most appropriate of colour choices for me as it seemed too cheerful. Not that I want Catherine to be sad for a long time about the attacks, but as you have said, a darker colour (not necessarily black) would have been better suited.

Elegant and stylish. Very good choice.

LaRae

Unattractive coat, she already has so many. Too close to the body for her and ugly pattern. Very nice hairdo.

Unattractive coat, she already has so many. Too close to the body for her and ugly pattern. Very nice hairdo.
The cost is a repeat from last year. It's a classic Missoni pattern.

Thanks for the info, I guess I have only seen colored missioni before. Still think the cut is not for her

the coat is not amongst my favourites of kate, but what stroke me the most is that i would expect royals to wear complete black in funerals and memorial services, as opposed to a coat that has some white in it. i am sure it is protocolarly correct as kate must have assistance / training determining if a certain piece of clothing can be worn to an event, but it still strikes me as odd. am i the only one?

This was neither a funeral or a memorial service. This was a "Service of Hope".
the coat is not amongst my favourites of kate, but what stroke me the most is that i would expect royals to wear complete black in funerals and memorial services, as opposed to a coat that has some white in it. i am sure it is protocolarly correct as kate must have assistance / training determining if a certain piece of clothing can be worn to an event, but it still strikes me as odd. am i the only one?

I agree this was a service of hope, not one for sorrow. I personally don't think the outfit is suitable. It gives Catherine such a flat figure as well which does her no justice. Love the hair style, hate the fascinator.

I disliked the first time I saw that coat and I dislike it now, but I don't think it is inappropriate; I just don't like the snake-snitch effect.

I don't mind the coat; it isn't something I would choose but it looks nice and she avoids wearing all black, which would be too much.

And I love the fascinator! I think it looks much better than some of those over-large hats the Royal ladies wear.

I don't mind the coat; it isn't something I would choose but it looks nice and she avoids wearing all black, which would be too much.

And I love the fascinator! I think it looks much better than some of those over-large hats the Royal ladies wear.
I really don't like this ensemble, it gives Catherine all the shape of a plank. Fortunately, she didn't repeat the odd pillbox from the last time she wore it. I am not much a fan of percher hats unless they perch on an updo which is what they were designed to do. However, if I had to choose, the percher wins hands down.

Catherine's nape-do was yet another twist on the Downton Abby style updo's which are not very flattering for her face shape. Imagine what it would look like had the updo been higher and the back of the hat perched on it.

Now to the difficult protocol rules of the royals. This service was a "Service of Hope" and not a Memorial Service. However, the royals rarely wear black, even to memorial services. They save it for personal and official mourning and, of course, Remembrance Day.

William and Harry exemplify the conundrum, both are wearing dark blue suits and black ties and, at the 100th Commemoration of the Somme, they wore blue suits and regimental ties. Go figure!

The style is elegant but not the print or the hat. It's awful to me.

I actually like her coat. Maybe because it's a nice change from her retro style coat dresses she seems to live in. And for once a pattern that isn't dizzy.

Her hair looks lovely. But I hate fascinators.

Love the hair style, hate the fascinator.

I actually like her coat. Maybe because it's a nice change from her retro style coat dresses she seems to live in. And for once a pattern that isn't dizzy.

Her hair looks lovely. But I hate fascinators.

Agree. :cool: Oddly enough, the fascinator is now 'old'. It's passe. Hanging on to an old fad. Needs to be relinquished. Makes the wearer look ridiculous imo. Always has.

Agree about the coat, Countessmeout. Great coat. :flowers:

Last edited:
I don't mind the coat, it's only odd to me because I always associate the missoni pattern with colour, it looks strange in grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom