Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent, tifedwards. Thanks for posting it. This is most interesting.

When we see Kate and Harry in the Queen at 90 documentary am i correct in thinking that whilst this was filmed in Kensington Palace it was filmed in their offices (which are in a refurb of Diana's old apartment) rather than their private homes within in the palace?

When we see Kate and Harry in the Queen at 90 documentary am i correct in thinking that whilst this was filmed in Kensington Palace it was filmed in their offices (which are in a refurb of Diana's old apartment) rather than their private homes within in the palace?

From the background in Catherine's interview, it appear to be in their private apartment, rather than office space. I could be wrong though.

From the background in Catherine's interview, it appear to be in their private apartment, rather than office space. I could be wrong though.

If so then it will be the first time i recall that cameras have had access to their private home. Guess we will get a better idea after viewing on sunday

William and Harry's offices are not in Apts 8 or 9 (The Wales family old home.)
The Dec & Ant interview was in Apt 8 which had been previously leased by four of the Princes' Trust charities including an art charity that William mentioned in the documentary.

At the time of filming of the Ant & Dec documentary apartment 8 was vacant as the charity had moved out.

Apartment 9 became the home of the Chief of Defence Staff.

After C&D separated, Diana took another 'apartment' for her office. It is possible that William and Harry's office was previously their mother's office from 1993 to 1997.

Last edited:
William and Harry's offices are not in Apts 8 or 9 (The Wales family old home.)
The Dec & Ant interview was in Apt 8 which had been previously leased by four of the Princes' Trust charities including an art charity that William mentioned in the documentary.

At the time of filming of the Ant & Dec documentary apartment 8 was vacant as the charity had moved out.

Apartment 9 became the home of the Chief of Defence Staff.

After C&D separated, Diana took another 'apartment' for her office. It is possible that William and Harry's office was previously their mother's office from 1993 to 1997.

i was confused as to the occupants of apartments 8&9 especially after this article and announcement
Princes William and Harry back in Diana's flat | UK | News | Daily Express

i was confused as to the occupants of apartments 8&9 especially after this article and announcement
Princes William and Harry back in Diana's flat | UK | News | Daily Express

I saw this article and was going to post it but it is misleading.

The State Apartments were never the home of Wales.
Apartment 8 & 9 were joined to create the Wales home.
Starting around 2005 apartment 8 was used by The Princes' Trust.

In 2015, William & Harry were interviewed in a room in apartment 8 for the Ant & Dec documentary. I believe it might have been one of the sitting rooms in the 'apartment'.

The writer is confusing, is she trying to state the formal rooms in apartment 8 & 9 were going to be used by William & Harry or that the State Apartments were going to be used by W&H?

Here is a aerial map with descriptions.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/14/article-2003249-0C8C757000000578-320_964x821.jpg

Kensington Palace has approximately 80 apartments.
Members of the BRF live in entire sections of the Palace.

William & Kate's current home is 4 stories. It stretches from the clock tower to the State Apartments. It is listed as Apartment 1A.

The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester live in Apartment 1. Only a portion of it is visible on the map.

Apartments 8 & 9 are 3 stories.

Apartment 10 is also 3 stories.

The majority of the other apartments are probably only on a single floor or there are several apartments on each floor. One of these apartments is probably where the office of William and Harry or Diana's post separation office was located.

Last edited:
The State Rooms of Kensington are in the public areas of the palace. The portion run by the HRP. You can buy a ticket and tour them. They have been used for the 100 Women in Hedge Fund dinner in 2013 and a reception for Centerpointe with Taylor Swift and Jon Bon Jovi.

The use of state with regards to the old Wales apt is wrong as it not the State rooms of the palace. However, we have seen the Cambridges and Harry use the space for meetings and interviews such the Ant Dec one, Huff Post take over, meeting the England women's World Cup team and Mrs Obama.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I saw this article and was going to post it but it is misleading.

The State Apartments were never the home of Wales.
Apartment 8 & 9 were joined to create the Wales home.
Starting around 2005 apartment 8 was used by The Princes' Trust.

In 2015, William & Harry were interviewed in a room in apartment 8 for the Ant & Dec documentary. I believe it might have been one of the sitting rooms in the 'apartment'.

The writer is confusing, is she trying to state the formal rooms in apartment 8 & 9 were going to be used by William & Harry or that the State Apartments were going to be used by W&H?

Here is a aerial map with descriptions.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/14/article-2003249-0C8C757000000578-320_964x821.jpg

Kensington Palace has approximately 80 apartments.
Members of the BRF live in entire sections of the Palace.

William & Kate's current home is 4 stories. It stretches from the clock tower to the State Apartments. It is listed as Apartment 1A.

The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester live in Apartment 1. Only a portion of it is visible on the map.

Apartments 8 & 9 are 3 stories.

Apartment 10 is also 3 stories.

The majority of the other apartments are probably only on a single floor or there are several apartments on each floor. One of these apartments is probably where the office of William and Harry or Diana's post separation office was located.

The apartments used by the royals all have a basement level, ground, middle and top floor. They are really large town houses. The word 'apartment' is misleading. I've read that in the case of the Michaels of Kent their basement has an informal family sitting room and offices for staff, the ground floor is drawing room, dining room and kitchen, the middle floor is their bedroom, dressing rooms and study and the very top floor was the nursery and children and nanny's bedrooms. Her children later used it as a self-contained 'flat' for themselves when they were still living at home. I have pictures of all of these rooms from various books and magazines I've collected over the years as I've always been particularly interested in this family. I don't have a clue how to scan and post them though.

I rather like the Cambridge's apartment, I think it has a cosy, family feel whilst still retaining an official, palace feel (if that makes sense). I love the colours inside in particular.

Cambridges have very nice room and good taste.

Simply took photos of your magazines

How do I post once I've taken them? I had to look these pictures out and have just found them. I havn't looked at them in ages but they are very good clear shots from all over the apartment and I would love to share. It's a pretty grand apartment and Princess Michael has nice taste IMO.

Taking photos and posting them from books and/or magazines might infringe on copyrights held by authors and/or publishers. I'd check this angle out first before posting any pictures online. Just my thoughts though. :flowers:

I hadn't thought of that, better not post them then.

it was nice to get a glimpse of the interiors of the apartment of WK. nice renovation - those walls in dark blue had to go!

Ben Pentreath has done a fine job, designing this apartment for the Duke and Duchess.. just enough modern touches [the perspex cube tables] to contrast well with the fine Louis xv and xvi fauteuils, and both English and French case furniture.

Last edited:

From the location of the door and the floor plan, the Cambridge living room was Princess Margaret's dining room. It is the largest room. This room is across from the entrance door that they are shown entering with the Obamas.

From the location of the door and the floor plan, the Cambridge living room was Princess Margaret's dining room. It is the largest room. This room is across from the entrance door that they are shown entering with the Obamas.

I guess this is the room they will continue to entertain guest and officials.

I guess this is the room they will continue to entertain guest and officials.

Yes, I think it was all planned that William and Catherine's first public function in their official home would be with the President of the United States and First Lady.

Thank you for sharing these, they were interesting to see. I like the blue colour of Princess Margaret's design, but I still think I prefer William and Catherine's design (for no particular reason, other than that I just like it a bit more).

I didn't realise this was happening.

"Daily Mail/Mail Online/Mail on Sunday" has an interesting article - sorry, on my tablet and can't post links - about the old Charles and Diana apartment being renovated for the last two years, and now being used by William, Catherine and Harry.

I think this is slightly old news. Harry gave his interview to Good Morning America from here and Kate used the room when she guest edited the Huffington Post

Back
Top Bottom