The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
I recall reading somewhere that a past King of England referred to KP as an "aunt heap".
Its probably true. At the moment, a whole host of minor royals live there. The last high profile residents were Charles and Diana and Princess Margaret.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

I don't believe it was a King of England who made this comment but the current Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, called it an "aunt heap."

Several Kings and Queens lived there, as well as royal princesses. Queen Victoria was born there in what is now known as the North Drawing Room, was baptized in the Cupola Room, and it was in Kensington Palace where Victoria received news that she was Queen.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus

How Palace feared public backlash on plan to turn Diana home into offices

Secret papers revealed yesterday the extent of official sensitivity over plans to refurbish and rent out Princess Diana’s former home at Kensington Palace.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Nobility

[QUOTE=Lady Meg;1063079]By GREGORY KATZ
Associated Press Writer
updated 1:29 a.m. ET, Fri., March. 26, 2010

LONDON - Princess Diana's former home, Kensington Palace, was being rebranded "The Enchanted Palace" on Friday to lure tourists from other popular London sights, like Madame Tussauds waxworks and the Tower of London, where the Crown Jewels are displayed (behind very thick glass).

There is a dress in this exibition that was worn by Princess Diana to a state dinner for Egypt's President Mubarak. Does anyone know what year this was or do you know where a picture is of Princess Diana actually wearing this dress? Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Kensington Palace Refurbishment

Kensington Palace - Refurbishment

As chief curator of the Historic Royal Palaces (HRP), Worsley, 36, is currently overseeing the 12 million refurbishment of its state apartments and gardens, which is well underway already and set to be completed by 2018. The first phase, of opening new rooms dedicated to Victoria's life and reign, will be ready in 2012, with four more to follow, including the opening of Princess Margaret's apartment, which since her death in 2002 has been used as a temporary exhibition space.

“The interiors will be restored to the Sixties and Seventies, when Princess Margaret and Tony Snowdon were the most stylish couple in London, including the smoke extractor in the kitchen that he designed himself,” says Worsley, whose job also means overseeing the collections at Hampton Court, the Tower of London, Kew Palace and Banqueting House. This part of the palace will carry a permanent display devoted to Princess Margaret and Princess Diana's extensive collection of dresses, although, interestingly, Worsley believes Princess Diana is yesterday's woman, no longer considered a sufficient draw to merit her own exhibition space.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't wait to see it when it's finished, particularly the Victoria exhibit.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Gentry

I doubt the boys will go back to kp. Marlborough seems the most likely.
There are some wonderfull pictures in the old book about princess margaret by her footman.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbohm View Post
I doubt the boys will go back to kp.
Marlborough seems the most likely.

If you mean Marlborough House I doubt it as it has been and still is the home of the Secretariat of the Commonwealth. In other words it has been converted into offices and is now mainly just office space and has been since 1953.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Serene Highness

courtiers: The secret history of kensington palace: Lucy worsley

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Books :: Courtiers: The Secret History of Kensington Palace: Lucy Worsley
Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Why is Diana's memory being erased by the Royals?

A 12 million overhaul of Kensington Palace threatens to consign Princess Diana to the history books as Princess Margaret’s former home opens to the public next month.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think they're trying to erase Diana's memory. They're more likely just doing the renovation in phases. I wouldn't be surprised if they added Diana's rooms at a later time.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Diana is hardly going to be erased.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
I don't think they're trying to erase Diana's memory. They're more likely just doing the renovation in phases. I wouldn't be surprised if they added Diana's rooms at a later time.

My understanding is that Diana's rooms are now offices so maybe they won't be renovating them and opening them.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Aristocracy

There are four princes and princesses who most likely will be marrying within the next few years; they will require secure London residences so the whole of the palace is unlikely to become a public facility. I do believe a couple of years ago some replica architectural furbishment firm had a contract to "copy" the fireplace from the late Princess Margaret's drawing room - selling at 20,000 a time I am sure the RPA made a good deal from the contract.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Princess Margaret was way before my time. I'm not really that interested in seeing her restored apartment at KP. I mean, I'd look at it if I were there, but, I'm not. I'm in the US. I was 12 years old when Diana married Charles, and have been star struck by her ever since. If her apartment was open to the public, I'd cross the Atlantic to see it. I think the smarter move would have been to use M's place for the office space, and restore D's apartments for the public. That would've made more since, considering, most of M's fans are either, to old to care anymore, or dead. But, Diana's fans are alive and well.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suecaryl View Post
Princess Margaret was way before my time. I'm not really that interested in seeing her restored apartment at KP. I mean, I'd look at it if I were there, but, I'm not. I'm in the US. I was 12 years old when Diana married Charles, and have been star struck by her ever since. If her apartment was open to the public, I'd cross the Atlantic to see it. I think the smarter move would have been to use M's place for the office space, and restore D's apartments for the public. That would've made more since, considering, most of M's fans are either, to old to care anymore, or dead. But, Diana's fans are alive and well.
As much as I do agree this would make more sense to me, I have to also think that perhaps Margaret's apartment received more consideration as she was of royal blood and sister to the Queen whereas Diana was an ex Princess of Wales and divorced. Her status in the Firm was solely based on being mother of the heir to the Prince of Wales and the spare.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Administrator

I am not sure its wise to discount the people who like and/or admire the Late Princess Margaret as the same can be said for late Diana, Princess of Wales.

The fact is, Kensington Palace has a lot of history that predates Diana and will continue to years after she has gone.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suecaryl View Post
Well I do agree with some points but Margaret's fans are still alive. I to would have loved to see the Princess of Wales apartments opened rather than PM (I can't say I really liked her and from a tourisim perspective Diana's aparatments would have brought in much more money). There are probably some crazy Diana fans who would probably turn the apartments into a shrine which is something most people like myself do not want. But who knows what the future will hold its possible that the Princess's apartments could be restored and opened or Harry might move back there, its really up in the air imo.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Well I do agree with some points but Margaret's fans are still alive. I to would have loved to see the Princess of Wales apartments opened rather than PM (I can't say I really liked her and from a tourisim perspective Diana's aparatments would have brought in much more money). There are probably some crazy Diana fans who would probably turn the apartments into a shrine which is something most people like myself do not want. But who knows what the future will hold its possible that the Princess's apartments could be restored and opened or Harry might move back there, its really up in the air imo.
I too am in favour of redoing up KP and using it as royal apartments, just as it has been used for some time now. As pointed out, the next generation of royals will need some space, and this may be a convenient location.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree, if my opinion mattered I would prefer Harry living in the apartments than it being turned into a museum.