The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
Well that's a shame. I don't say the queen should have gone to. Someone else would have been perfectly fine. But they send nobody. Period. And that's really unrespectful. They have been queens together, they met. And it's not like the funeral was on the other side of the planet or something. It's one of the closest countries to got to.

I agree with you!

It's not because some are not respectful, that everyone should be. Royals are not babies anymore, they can handle dissapointment. And I don't feel like the have much more pleasure going to Britain than in other countries...

Well, I didn´t state they enjoy their time more in England than in other countries, just that they seem to do. When Royals are interviewed and asked about the Queen (of the UK) they´re always full of admiration, gratitude and respect.
We do not know if someone´s "disappointed"! Thinking someone should be is not the same as someone really IS disappointed.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Buckingham Palace have provided an explanation - no-one was available. Apart from the Ambassador whose job it is to represent Her Majesty's Government at such occasions.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

I would hope the British Foreign Office or someone would eventually explain the BRF non-attendance. I would hate for them to appear in a bad light if it really is something that was beyond their control.

And yes, saying no one was available (or however it was worded) doesn't ring true. To me, there's something odd when Her Majesty broke protocol and attended King Baudouin's funeral, but no one in the entire family can spare a few hours to attend his consort's funeral?

Yes, I hope they provide the real explanation so if it's out of the BRF control, it stops the scrutiny.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
When Royals are interviewed and asked about the Queen (of the UK) they´re always full of admiration, gratitude and respect.
I do have admiration for the Queen, and sure they do too. And even if they hated her, they won't tell it to the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
We do not know if someone´s "disappointed"! Thinking someone should be is not the same as someone really IS disappointed.
I do not want them to be dissapointed. And I certainly think they are sad enough to start mocking about the BRF's non-attendance. I hope the Queen sent
a letter explaining why (I'm sure she did) even if there is no really good reason nobody was there today. I think QEII and king Baudouin had a lot in common and got along quite well, so sending someone would have been the least she could have done, to honor Q.Fabiola and K.Baudouin.
I don't want to make this problem bigger than it is.

Nobody of the BRF attended. Period. They should have sent someone.

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

The Queen did not "break protocol" back then. King Baudouin died unexpectedly in the summer holiday, in Spain. Also Queen Elizabeth was holidaying -at Balmoral- and had a whole month empty in her agenda.

It would have reflected very, very poorly when Queen Elizabeth would not hop over to attend the funeral of a crowned head of state just 35 km over the Channel, who was her senior in anciennity and who -like her- a scion of the same royal dynasty.... So most likely Queen Elizabeth felt she had no excuse, in the middle of her summer holiday. All other crowned heads of state interrupted their holidays as well and came en masse to pay their last respects to King Baudouin.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Well, times when somethin´like this caused diplomatic problems between 2 nations are over. I think this is something Royalty-watchers care much more about than those involved...!

As I said before, like the rest of us, we all make differences between "family members" (even if most of us here do attend funerals of persons we weren´t that close, simply because of "politeness" - but is this really an honest thing to do?).
Anyway, there is something in the air between the Brits and the Belgians since about Albert II´s accession: Never a state visit, neither by the Queen nor by Albert and Paola, never a Knighthood of the Garter! Something´unprecedented in history, as far as I know (please do correct me, if I´m wrong)! Old Emperor Hirohito had to give his back (for a period of time) because of his controversial role during WW2, but a foreign monarch who never received one? It´s all a bit obscure. But we can only guess as nobody will tell us. And I really don´t know if pure speculations do any good....?!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Courtier

I disagree - she did break protocol - the Queen does not normally attend funerals other than for immediate family so attending King Baudouin's funeral was out of the ordinary. What is extraordinary is that she interrupted her holiday to do so - she wasn't going to for the mother of her grandchildren until she bowed to public pressure.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

We go through similar "outrage" every time The Earl and Countess of Wessex are sent abroad for weddings. Everyone always says the Windsors are snubbing the Continent and yet the relations always remain cordial and friendships maintained.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
I disagree - she did break protocol - the Queen does not normally attend funerals other than for immediate family so attending King Baudouin's funeral was out of the ordinary. What is extraordinary is that she interrupted her holiday to do so - she wasn't going to for the mother of her grandchildren until she bowed to public pressure.
I think no one expected Queen Elisabeth II to attend the funeral. The TRF members thought that a member of the royal family would be sent by Her Majesty to represent her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
We go through similar "outrage" every time The Earl and Countess of Wessex are sent abroad for weddings. Everyone always says the Windsors are snubbing the Continent and yet the relations always remain cordial and friendships maintained.
It has been my observations that relations between the British royal family and the continental royals are just polite.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I agree. I really think too much is being read into this. It's all about our watching and making suppositions. It could be arrogance or a sense of superiority or (here's a thought) Buckingham Palace were telling the truth. There was simply no-one available...
Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
There is no real protocol in these matters. For an example it is often assumed that Queen Elisabeth or Prince Philip never attend weddings overseas. They did attend a grand royal wedding in The Hague: that of Prince Carl von Hessen with Lady Yvonne Margit Valerie Countess Szapáry von Muraszombath, Széchysziget und Szapár (maternal family of the later Princess Michael...): http://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=ur...174&size=large

The Queen would also attend the Silver Wedding of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard in Amsterdam: http://resolver.kb.nl/resolve?urn=ur...8-3&size=large

With other words: there seems not to be a standing protocol.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I think no one expected Queen Elisabeth II to attend the funeral. The TRF members thought that a member of the royal family would be sent by Her Majesty to represent her.

I was responding to the comment that the Queen attended Kung Baudouin's funeral because it was her summer holiday.

It has been my observations that relations between the British royal family and the continental royals are just polite.
I think there are friendships - Queen Margrethe and Princess Beatrix are always greeted very warmly, Queen Margrethe took part in a documentary recently speaking about the Queen. Apparently King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie maintained regular contact when they were based in London. But yes, they don't pop over to stay on a regular basis.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Serene Highness

Very interesting thread, after reading all the comments, I also think that the BRF should of sent someone within the family. After all, this is a group of people that are interconnected through many marriages, history for many decades and more. Wouldn't it be common courtesy and manners to send someone. This group *the royals of the world* should know each other, at least on a first name basis so that they can interact with each other at events, these people are in a click (can't think of any other word for it) all by themselves for the most part, regardless if you haven't spoken to someone for years or not, being royal means there should be a certain amount of grace, manners, decorum and courtesy. To not have someone attend from the BRF is a disgrace to the Belgium royal family and it shows a lack or respect and manners by the BRF.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Courtier

They did send someone - the Ambassador.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Courtier

I have read this thread and have been somewhat amused by the outrage expressed here. Really! Of all the issues in the world everyone here is outraged that a family did not attend the funeral of a member of another family. Have we all, myself included, nothing better to do than share our beliefs that anyone in a royal family owes us, most of whom are not even members of the countries these royal families are from, an explanation as to why or why they did not attend Queen Fabiola's funeral.

Shaking my head and hearing my brain rattle around inside.

And to those who want to boycott a royal family, knock yourself out. You aren't hurting anyone, especially the family you want to boycott.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2....html#comments

This post claims that the British royals could not attend the funeral due to political problems. I wonder what these political problems might be. How serious is the disagreement between the UK and EU?
I was wondering if the UK/EU disagreements had anything to do with this matter. The Palace would have to come up with a tactful reason instead of just being able to say the FO said no. Politicians can be really stupid at times and create more problems just because they are trying to make a point. Wasn't there a situation around one of QEII's jubilees where the Spanish government wouldn't let Queen Sofia go to the luncheon because Edward and Sophie were going to Gibraltar as part of the jubilee celebration?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

Relations between the BRF and other royal families

Since no representative from the BRF attended Queen Fabiolas funeral and usually at weddings HM is represented by the Wessexes.

There is a discussion that the BRF snub or consider other royals less important.

I would like to know how the relations between the British royals and the others are.

I'm aware that queen Margarethe and HM are close.
Also the Greek royal family.

What about others?

And apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

There's already a thread about this topic :

The Windsors and Europe
Old 12-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

The simple answer is 'we don't know'.

We do know that after WWI George V turned the BRF away from Europe to look internally within Britain and to focus on the empire so while the other royal families were continuing their pre-war connections the BRF moved in a different direction.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

One thing that has struck me today is that I do not recall any other royal funeral, or indeed wedding, coronation, baptism etc where such debate over royal non-attendance from anywhere has taken place. Surely there must have been another event where another country only sent their ambassador, but we never heard about it because it didn't involve the British royal family.

Looking on a slightly more positive side, perhaps the feelings raised today in this thread are testimony to the affection people feel towards Queen Fabiola and the high regard they have for her.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii