The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Courtier

I am very, very disappointed by this, IMO, lack of respect. This has been a long occasion what with the lying-in-state, the wake, the funeral Mass and so on. If "no one" could attend the funeral Mass today surely to God someone was available to turn up over the course of the past few days to express sympathy in person. ??

Old 12-12-2014, 08:04 AM
Courtier

It's dissapointing but it's not the end of the world. But these things happen. Im sure The Queen has wrote personally to King Phillipe apologising for having no one to send. Talks of boycotts for BRF events is rather immature IMO.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

None of the members of the British Royal Family attended the Funeral Mass for Queen Fabiola of Belgium. Rather an usual decision that hardly can find an acceptable explanation.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen of UK did come for Baudoin's funeral.... it would have been nice if someone had represented her today.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
It's dissapointing but it's not the end of the world. But these things happen. Im sure The Queen has wrote personally to King Phillipe apologising for having no one to send. Talks of boycotts for BRF events is rather immature IMO.
I doubt Queen Elizabeth II has written personally to King Philippe to apologize for the BRF's no-show. Let us hope that the Windsors at least sent the King a condolence message.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

IMO I think there is NO excuse for them to not be there.... For God's sake even The Empress of Japan made it there and she came from the other side of the world... To me this is very telling: snobbish and superiority on their part....
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The state news just confirmed that there will be no British royal present, as they did earlier this morning. Avcording to the press only royals who were 'close' to Fabiola will attend.

"Close" to Fabiola? The woman was consort to one of the most popular and significant kings of modern Europe-a king who was also a member of the Order of the Garter! So when King Albert and Prince Philippe attended the funeral rites of QEII's mother it's because they had a close relationship with her??

I agree with the others. This is arrogant, boorish behavior of the BRF on a level I could never have imagined. They are the only MAJOR Royal family in Europe who could not be bothered to show proper respect to the woman Point de Vue magazine is calling a legendary queen.

But on the plus side it relieves King Philippe of needing to adjust his schedule when QEII or her husband passes away since they apparently are not that close.

Thank you Jacknch, for trying to get an answer.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Royal Highness

On a side note royal families from Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and Monaco didn't show up either ...
Old 12-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
On a side note royal families from Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and Monaco didn't show up either ...
Yugoslavia does no longer exist, Greece, Romania and Bulgaria are non-reigning families, in that case it is about personal relations. We know that the relations with the Braganças, the Orléans, the Habsburgs were there, not so with -for an example- the Hohenzollerns or the Hannovers, to name some families.

The British Royal House however is a reigning one, and the Belgian one is not only a neighbouring reigning monarchy, it is also about a fellow memberstate of the EU, NATO, etc. It is very, very, very strange.

The non-attendance of Monaco lies at hand: just two days ago the princely couple became parents for the first time. They could have sent someone else but I think that the Belgian royal family and the public will understand it, after the happy news over there.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Nobility

I would love to be a guest at the reception right now to hear what the other European royals think of the British royal absence...
I think Queen Fabiola was held in high esteem by the royals and I have a feeling that this will not be appreciated by them.
The attendance of any of Queen Elizabeths' children would have been appropriate. I find their absence an absolute disgrace whatever the reason is.
I like William, Catherine and Harry but the other British royals have dropped in my esteem.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

It just wasn't the biggest royal turnout as some people thought it should have been. I think the biggest royal turn out will happen when Elizabeth passes on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Majesty

Quite the contrary Dman. I thought the turn-out for Fabiola quite impressive given the fact that she has not been queen consort for 33 years.

The Empress of Japan herself was there, and the former Empress of Iran as well.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It just wasn't the biggest royal turnout as some people thought it should have been. I think the biggest royal turn out will happen when Elizabeth passes on.
The Sovereigns of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and the former Sovereigns of Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Spain were there. The only two Sovereigns missing were the Prince of Monaco, for obvious reasons and the Queen of the United Kingdom, for not so obvious reasons.

For a Consort of a King who reigned before the former King, this is impressive.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Royal Highness

As I wrote in a previous post, where I forgot the Dutch funerals.

I adore The Queen, and I like Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine, but this surprises me.
The British royal family has been present at every major royal funeral in the past 30 years.

The funeral of Emperor Hirohito of Japan in 1989: The Duke of Edinburgh.
The funeral King Olav V of Norway in 1991: Charles.
The funeral of King Baudouin of Belgium in 1993: The Queen.
The funeral of Queen Ingrid of Denmark in 2000: Charles.
The funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands in 2002: Charles.
The funeral of Princess Juliana of the Netherlands in 2004: The Duke of Edinburgh.
The funeral of Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands in 2004: The Duke of Edinburgh
The funeral of Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of luxembourg in 2005: Andrew.
The funeral of Prince Rainier of Monaco in 2005: Andrew.

I am sure The Queen has written to King Philippe and that will be a personal message. She doesn't expects other royals to attend her events, it is up to them whether they will come or not.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

I adore The Queen, and I like Charles, Camilla, William and Catherine, but this surprises me.
The British royal family has been present at every major royal funeral in the past 30 years.

The funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands in 2002: Charles. The funeral of Princess Juliana of the Netherlands in 2004: The Duke of Edinburgh.
The funeral of Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands in 2004: The Duke of Edinburgh

I am sure The Queen has written to King Philippe and that will be a personal message. She doesn't expects other royals to attend her events, it is up to them whether they will come or not.
Well said and many thanks for collating the information.

I think the non attendance of a member of the BRF is not a priority for any of those attending the funeral today.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Courtier

"There are some long-standing commitments preventing the presence of members of the royal family at the funeral," a Buckingham Palace spokeswoman told AFP.
The Royal Watcher
Old 12-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post

The funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands in 2002: Charles. The funeral of Princess Juliana of the Netherlands in 2004: The Duke of Edinburgh.
With all due respect, the fact that the BRF has been represented at all major royal funerals over the past 30 years only makes it more incomprehensible that they did not bother to send any family member to Queen Fabiola's funeral and fuels the speculation that it might be something personal.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
"There are some long-standing commitments preventing the presence of members of the royal family at the funeral," a Buckingham Palace spokeswoman told AFP.
The Royal Watcher
So the official response is "too busy to attend" ...
Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Courtier

Or they all had an engagement today and they weren't going to canceled them for a funeral of a non-immediate member of the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
So the official response is "too busy to attend" ...
Shocking how this happen all the time, all over the whole with people from all different background
Old 12-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Majesty

Very few people in the world are as busy and have as many commitments as the Pope, but even he managed to send a nuncio to Brussels to represent him.In comparison the idea that each and every member of the House of Windsor was simpy too "busy" and had events that could not be rescheduled strikes me as just beyond ridiculous. They are, according to their enthusiastic fans at least, THE most significant and senior of the Royal houses and are supposed to set the standard for classy behavior. That is not the case here.

The fact that I admire HM QEII as much as I do makes this rare misstep on her part even more baffling.

This is not a post to bash the BRF. I have had QEII and the DoE on a pedestal since I was a child. But frankly I think they botched this one big time, and yes...it does change the way I think of them just a little.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii