The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2014, 05:37 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes, the direct links are Leopold I (uncle of Queen Victoria) and Albert (spouse of Queen Victoria).

The more 'direct' link is that Queen Victoria's mother, Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, was Leopold I's sister.

Leopold I was an uncle of both Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Aristocracy

I am appalled by the BRF's decision. I understand they may not have been close to Fabiola, but many royals attending weren't close to her.

If extant houses could send a representative, why not the British?

I understand senior royals not being available, but they have some juniors that could've gone.

For British events all royal houses turn up, I guess it's only fair to boycott them now.

Being a royal there are certain obligations that you are expected to fulfil and maintaining a relation with other royal houses is one of the more important ones.

If the Brits think they are too big for their boots, I think it's time to stop bothering about them!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 12-12-2014, 05:44 AM
Royal Highness

Told you so ...
There is definitely a "special relationship" between the two families, i would'nt say a feud but clearly there's something going on.
Arrogance ? I don't know. English pragmatism as none of the senior royals were available today ? Maybe.
We can only speculate, but we must not forget that there is lot of things we don't know behind the scene and maybe the private condolences from the Windsors were strong enough to give them a pass. Anyway from an exterior and public aspect it's indeed very strange, if not unforgivable.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Gentry

Even the commentators commentated about the abscence. They even called it a 'slap in the face' (kaakslag). They said even Thailand was here and that it's expected that European royals attend, even thoug Fabiola wasn't reigning queen anymore ...
Old 12-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Majesty

The VRT (Belgian Dutch-speaking public channel) speaks about a "blow in the face/slap in the face" of the Belgian royal family, also -like we did here- pointing to the fact that Queen Elizabeth belongs to the same royal dynasty as the Belgians.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
It really annoys that when theres an English Royal event the other Royal famies are kinda expected to be represented in force (Queen Elizabeth's 50th and 60th jubilees for ex) but when other monarchies have their own events British presence is 8/10 minor or non existent, I'm mean the Empress flew halfway across the world just to attend ONE event,might I add she's only about 6 years younger than Queen Elizabeth,a short plane ride wouldn't have killed anyone...... At this rate we can expect a rather local guest list with regards to future British Royal events
Well Said Baron Brockdorf. it Annoys me too. it's not like their snubing a birthday party or a wedding. Someone should have attended, to me this is completely disrecpectful.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
I am appalled by the BRF's decision. I understand they may not have been close to Fabiola, but many royals attending weren't close to her.

If extant houses could send a representative, why not the British?

I understand senior royals not being available, but they have some juniors that could've gone.

For British events all royal houses turn up, I guess it's only fair to boycott them now.

Being a royal there are certain obligations that you are expected to fulfil and maintaining a relation with other royal houses is one of the more important ones.

If the Brits think they are too big for their boots, I think it's time to stop bothering about them!

I agree with you its time To boycot the british royals
Old 12-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Courtier

It's a superiority complex tbh, the British royals think they are oh so much superior to the rest.

You can't convince me there wasn't a single senior royal that was available for this, is not as if the BRF is a small group!!!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancakli70 View Post
I agree with you its time To boycot the british royals
Not that they'll care, if they are the bunch of isolationist arrogants you're trying to paint.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Majesty

I understand that Queen Elizabeth II maybe is busy, but come on... not even the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent, the Princess Royal, the Duke of York, the Earl of Wessex, Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael of Kent, really not one.... was taking the honours on behalf of Her Majesty....
Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
Queen Elizabeth did attend king Boudewijns funeral, so that's wat makes it strange no-one is here today. And yes, they are family (I guess by king Albert, husband of queen Victoria?)

Oh, Laurent showed up. With sunglasses ...

King Christian IX of Denmark was a great-great-grandfather to both Queen Elizabeth II and Kings Baudoin and Albert II. The Queen is therefore a third cousin to Baudoin and Albert.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Serene Highness

I'm surprised and saddened that the House of Windsor did not see fit to send royal representation to the late Queens funeral, relying on ambassadorial presence instead.

I hate to see offence given for no apparent good reason..
Old 12-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Royal Highness

Interestingly no one from the BRF was present to the funerals of King Leopold III back in 1983 ...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:22 AM
Courtier

I think a boycott of upcoming British royal events is an excellent idea, It might teach them some respect for their fellow royal families.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Interestingly no one from the BRF was present to the funerals of King Leopold III back in 1983 ...
Leopold III was a controversial figure because of his role in World War II. I understand that the BRF would have reservations about being represented in his funeral.

Having said that, I see no plausible reason for nobody in the family to attend Queen Fabiola's funeral. The PoW and the Princess Royal were the only family members with scheduled appointments today.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Leopold III was a controversial figure because of his role in World War II. I understand that the BRF would have reservations about being represented in his funeral.

Having said that, I see no plausible reason for nobody in the family to attend Queen Fabiola's funeral. The PoW and the Princess Royal were the only family members with scheduled appointments today.
The Queen and the Duke visited Leopold III and Lilian in Argenteuil on a very public diplay back in 1966. So no Leopold III was not a "persona non grata" for the Brits.
I do think there's no public reason to prevent the BRF to attend the funerals of Fabiola, but maybe there's a private one...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Aristocracy

The British Royal Family do seem to have a very patchy record both when it comes to attending Royal events elsewhere in Europe and in its treatment of the Belgian Royal family in particular.

Looking back at British representation, it's clear that the Queen herself has very very rarely attended coronations, weddings and funerals. Why she, as Sovereign, has chosen to do this, I don't know, but it seems that for better or worse, it is the norm. In this context, her attendance at King Baudouin's funeral must be seen as a significant mark of personal respect.

During her reign, she has very often been represented by her husband, her sister (back when she was the first adult in line to the throne) or the Prince of Wales, so basically (one of) the most senior representative(s) possible. On other occasions, the Kents have represented her, particularly when there has been a close family relationship (through Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent) and in recent years, it would seem that the Earl & Countess of Wessex have been the designated family members for such European events. The Duke of York seems to be the "man in the Middle East" & the Princess Royal seems to prefer other sorts of engagements than those involving high ceremonial.

It also strikes me that King Albert II was never awarded the Order of the Garter, making him the only reigning Sovereign/Grand Duke (Liechtenstein & Monaco excepted - and monarchs where the previous sovereign is still alive) never to have received this honour during the Queen's reign. He never made a State Visit to the UK, either, if I'm not mistaken.

If indeed no senior royal is able to make the trip (a big "if") I'm wondering if it would be worse to send a minor royal than none at all.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Heir Apparent

William is at the National Arboretum unveiling a memorial in Straffordshire and later has engagements in Birmingham today.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Royal Highness

Let's take a look at the previous public meetings between the Belgian and the British royals:

Royalement Blog: Clin d'oeil au jubilé de diamant de la reine Elizabeth II
Old 12-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I'm surprised and saddened that the House of Windsor did not see fit to send royal representation to the late Queens funeral, relying on ambassadorial presence instead.

I hate to see offence given for no apparent good reason..
Everyones' frustration including my own is very understandable and I have had to resort to logic in order to make some sense of it.

It is worth remembering that the royal families around the world are not engaged in some sort of tit-for-tat competition whereby "if you don't come to this event I will not come to yours" - it simply doesn't work like that.

There is an awful lot that goes on behind the scenes relating to rules and regulations of convention, protocol, precedent, diplomatic issues, government requirements, whether there has even been an invitation, whether the Queen felt she was the only one who should go but couldn't etc etc, and it is additionally unfortunate that the set up here in Britain appears to mean that only State funerals are attended by a member of the British royal family -most usually the heir to the throne.

Britain is not the only country whose government chooses to send ambassadorial presence instead of the country's head of state (royal or other wise) or a member of the head of state's family to an event that is not in itself a State one.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii