The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2015, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=AdmirerUS;1814760]The Queen thinks it's very private. She rules. Get it? She actually RULES it. [/QUOTE

I think i get it She rules i get it

Old 08-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Part of the reason Sarah may not have received the Order is that she just wasn't around long enough. As Molly noted, Sophie received hers after she and Edward had already been married for five years. From marriage to separation, Andrew and Sarah were only together for six years (and obviously the separation didn't exactly come out of nowhere). I don't think it has anything to do with how close the Queen and Sarah were personally; Sophie is quite close to the Queen, and it was still 5 years before she received the Order.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. This it sounds very reasonable.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:55 PM
Commoner

The DM is claiming that the Duchess of Cambridge will be receiving the Royal Family Order this fall. Wouldn't be surprising being the Duchess has provided the heir and a spare. She will be the mother of a future king as well.

Princess Diana was wearing her Royal Family Order by 1983, by then William was born. I know that the birth of a child isn't reason enough for the Queen to give the Royal Family Order. Princess Diana had been doing quite a bit of charity work and public appearances as well.

As for Sarah, did she do a lot of charity work/work for the Firm while married to Andrew? Of course, Sarah is going to gush about the Queen. It is in her best interest to give the impression of a good relationship.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Courtier

The Duchess of York was in a very different league to The Princess of Wales in so many ways. Even when Sarah was the favourite in the papers here, no one forgot who was in line to be the next queen. H.M has never spoken about her ex-daughter-in-law publicly so we can only speculate at what the relationship was and currently is.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretijean View Post
Princess Diana was wearing her Royal Family Order by 1983, by then William was born. I know that the birth of a child isn't reason enough for the Queen to give the Royal Family Order. Princess Diana had been doing quite a bit of charity work and public appearances as well.

As for Sarah, did she do a lot of charity work/work for the Firm while married to Andrew? Of course, Sarah is going to gush about the Queen. It is in her best interest to give the impression of a good relationship.
It sounds like Diana and Camilla both received their Order within a couple of years of marriage - I assume they might receive it more quickly due to being married to the heir to the throne? Just a guess.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Courtier

Good Evening Isabella, I believe you may have a point and there is also the protocol issue of their attending more state events as a representative of H.M that ensures from their position as being the wife of the heir, in my humble opinion.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sarah do share a very close relationship with The Queen. Sarah is not the only person that have acknowledged this publically, but so has Andrew. It's pretty known by veteran royal reporters and correspondents as well. Sarah has been invited to Balmoral to visit The Queen several times, along with Andrew and the girls. She was also invited to Prince's Andrew and Edward Order of the Garter Investiture ceremony.

It's Sarah's relationship with Prince Philip that one questions.

Why Sarah never received the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II? One will never know, unless Sarah would say something about it.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-30-2015, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess that the Queen might have had reservations about it... Well, it si easier to say something like that after what it has happened but still... maybe the Queen kind of "sensed" that there were going to be troubles ahead. Silly thought I know, but since this Order is at the discretion of the Queen, I guess I can speculate as much as I can
Old 08-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

There are also limited numbers: Queen Elizabeth, the Princess of Wales, the Princess Margaret, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester were alive. When their precious diamond-encrusted Orders felt free, Sarah was already out of the family.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

As i understand it, this one is just a personal gift from the monarch and not related to any accomplishment or longetivity as such
I don't think Princess Michael of Kent for instance has received it either (to name a random family member)
Old 08-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There are also limited numbers: Queen Elizabeth, the Princess of Wales, the Princess Margaret, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester were alive. When their precious diamond-encrusted Orders felt free, Sarah was already out of the family.
I think the only thing that would limit the RFO is the number of females in the family. Some of the older females such as HM, Margaret and Alice most likely also had the RFO from George VI. I'm not sure how many that are still alive hold the RFO from George V.

Sarah, I believe, didn't really care for the "men in grey" and wasn't enthusiastic at the time with doing engagements and such and that could have put a damper on why HM didn't feel it right to present her with a RFO at the time. Its something we will never know.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Michael never receive the Order of the Royal Family;
Old 08-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Princess Michael never receive the Order of the Royal Family;
No, she hasn't. Only HM, The Queen knows the reason why too.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think the only thing that would limit the RFO is the number of females in the family. Some of the older females such as HM, Margaret and Alice most likely also had the RFO from George VI. I'm not sure how many that are still alive hold the RFO from George V.
The Queen is the only living holder of the George V RFO. She also wears that of her father George VI - as does Princess Alexandra, the only other living holder of George VI's RFO. Princess Margaret, Princess Alice, and Princess Marina all held those of George V and George VI.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
The Queen is the only living holder of the George V RFO. She also wears that of her father George VI - as does Princess Alexandra, the only other living holder of George VI's RFO. Princess Margaret, Princess Alice, and Princess Marina all held those of George V and George VI.
Thanks for the information. Was wondering about that while talking about HM's RFO.
― John Lennon
Old 08-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

It is something that only the Queen know. Probably the Queen did not find the right time to do so.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Majesty

We don't know exactly when Diana received the order, but we know when she first wore it: the State Visit from Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands in November of 1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Diana received the Royal Family Order, AdmirerUS.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Royal Highness

Because in the eyes of the Queen she didn't deserve it. It's as simple as that. That's why Princess Michael didn't receive it either (and why the RVO was never awarded to Diana).
Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

What happens to their orders when they die...do they go into safekeeping or to a family member (as a memento)?

LaRae

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order