The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's going to be a very spooky Christmas then! I wonder if William or Harry have experienced any of the ghost sightings... I don't think I'd be able to sleep!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
It's going to be a very spooky Christmas then! I wonder if William or Harry have experienced any of the ghost sightings... I don't think I'd be able to sleep!
Me either. I have a friend who has done her share of ghost-hunting at a primary school where her sister works. She told me that the school is built on the grounds of a Civil War battle field in Georgia. Apparently, the school is haunted, and there have been several sightings of ghosts by children, and staff alike. She herself has experienced a few things there. That was enough to send chills running down my spine. I cannot imagine being in a house that is most likely haunted (not to mention being a guest of the Royals for the first time) and not feeling on edge. I give Catherine a great amount of credit for this. Hopefully nothing cringe-worthy will occur.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure Kate would not be described as a bundle of nerves, but given that it might be a teensy bit stressful for her first visit at Sandringham in the Queen's company, the last thing she needs is to run into a ghost or two. That might tax the nerves a bit!!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I'm sure Kate would not be described as a bundle of nerves, but given that it might be a teensy bit stressful for her first visit at Sandringham in the Queen's company, the last thing she needs is to run into a ghost or two. That might tax the nerves a bit!!
Indeed! A little too much stress is never a good thing.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Courtier

One's run out of room! Queen invites a record 27 royals to stay but some will end up in the servant's quarters | Mail Online

Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Serene Highness

I would think that nervousness, tiredness and guns don't mix - but I also hope that every young person today is thinking about hunting (and whether it is really a sport or not).

I believe LumutQueen meant to post that the three royal ladies mentioned "never" went out to shoot, not "ever" went out to shoot - but that made me curious. I thought HM liked to shoot (no? maybe not on Christmas?)

Anyway - good for Kate. Sensible and sensitive at the same time.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

That'll be an impressive array of royals at Sandringham for Christmas and I wonder how many of them are concerned they'll wind up in less than luxurious accommodations, by their standards. Obviously, the Queen is looking forward to a very festive holiday; perhaps she's in a very celebratory mood for the upcoming Jubilee and wants to gather as much of the family around as possible.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

Also, the Queen and the DoE are both getting older, and probably at the time in their lives when they'd like to enjoy being surrounded by the people they love the best as much as possible. I hope they all have a very wonderful Christmas, with all the new members of their family.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Majesty

This is a list of all of the descendents of George VI - and they are the ones usually invited but last year Princess Anne and her family were absent because Autumn was pregnant and William and Harry have missed a couple of Christmases because they were on duty.

This is what happens as families age - new generations marry and so their spouses have to be invited and then they start to have children.

No doubt when Charles becomes King the list will be somewhat smaller - the Linleys and Chattos would probably go elsewhere, as could Andrew, Edward and Anne and their families. I get the feeling that Charles isn't all that close to his siblings although he does seem reasonably close to Anne at times but not to Andrew or Edward.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
. . . . . . . . . I get the feeling that Charles isn't all that close to his siblings although he does seem reasonably close to Anne at times but not to Andrew or Edward.
Check out the BRF current affairs thread a few years back and you'll see Zara plonked on good old distant, chilly and remote, Uncle Charles' knee (at Ascot I think . . . judging by the look he's giving her amaaazzzzing hat), planting a smacking kiss on his cheek!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

It seems rather sexist and a double standard that Prince William and the men in the hunt can shoot without judgement (or be photographed with guns), but the delicate ladies can't because it's seen as politically incorrect- what a shame! (personal note, I'm not a hunter, but support other persons right to do so)
Old 12-19-2011, 02:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Check out the BRF current affairs thread a few years back and you'll see Zara plonked on good old distant, chilly and remote, Uncle Charles' knee (at Ascot I think . . . judging by the look he's giving her amaaazzzzing hat), planting a smacking kiss on his cheek!

I used the term 'siblings' - that is his brothers and sister.

I made no mention of how close he might be to any of his nephews and nieces.

I have seen the photos in question and they only affirm to me that Charles is closish to Anne - as he seems close to Zara. You don't see photos of him with Beatrice or Eugenie in that way though do you? Possibly because he isn't that close to Andrew and so doesn't see them all that often - and we did have a report recently that he described them as 'twits' - hardly the sort of thing to engender positive feelings between the two branches of the family (and yes I am aware that it may not be true at all)
Old 12-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
It seems rather sexist and a double standard that Prince William and the men in the hunt can shoot without judgement (or be photographed with guns), but the delicate ladies can't because it's seen as politically incorrect- what a shame! (personal note, I'm not a hunter, but support other persons right to do so)

There are regular criticisms of the men hunting - every year I seem to remember negative stories about them all. Traditionally the ladies don't actually shoot - but that is because the RF in so many ways still operates under pre-women's liberation rules with a clear distinction between the roles of men and women.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There are regular criticisms of the men hunting - every year I seem to remember negative stories about them all. Traditionally the ladies don't actually shoot - but that is because the RF in so many ways still operates under pre-women's liberation rules with a clear distinction between the roles of men and women.
To be honest, the fact that this tradition has survived in the age of a Queen approaching her Diamond Jubilee, tells me that the male/female divide may have other, more practical, applications than "old rules".

Think about it, how many opportunities are there for that number of female members of the BRF to get together for a good, old fashioned girl talk. And let's face it, the opportunity to share ideas (possibly even jewellery) about for the incredible number and diversity of engagements this coming year make it a God-sent opportunity to sort out some practical arrangements.

The same goes for the male members of the BRF. Time for them to discuss their contribution to the coming festivities from a purely male point of view. Such opportunities are rare and may explain the rather large number of family sharing Christmas at Sandringham this year.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Majesty

If you look at who actually will be at Christmas this year you should note that it is the same families that have been at Sandringham since the Queen moved Christmas to Sandringham from Windsor - it is simply her descendents and her sister's descendents.

As the Gloucesters and Kents are actually representing the Queen at events for the Jubilee while the Linleys and Chattos (not to mention Princess Beatrice) won't be doing so and yet they will be at Sandringham.

This is just a normal family gathering that this year, for the first time for a number of years has seen all of the members, who would be invited, able to attend.

I doubt if the Queen discusses jewels etc with the ladies while she is watching the shooting - and telling the gun dogs what to do - and that is what she does at these shoots. Camilla leaves before the shoot begins to be with her own family - so the second lady in the land wouldn't be in any discussion.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
If you look at who actually will be at Christmas this year you should note that it is the same families that have been at Sandringham since the Queen moved Christmas to Sandringham from Windsor - it is simply her descendents and her sister's descendents.
When did the Queen do that?
I was wondering why, if Sandringham is getting so crowded, the Queen doesn't take the celebrations to Windsor, where there's so much more space.

(I've often heard that Windsor is her favorite residence, so it can't be because she prefers Sandringham.)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

The royals have gathered for the Queen's pre-Christmas lunch.

Quote:
RegalEyes Mark Stewart

Duke and Duchess of Cambride & Prince Harry, Zara and Mike Tindall attend The Queen Pre Xmas lunch for the extended Royal Family today
Quote:
RegalEyes Mark Stewart

Most of the extended Royal Family at Buckingham Palace for the Queen's pre Xmas lunch, including the Gloucester's and Kents.
Here are the first pictures:

William and Kate - http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....HzkHikWPpvk%3D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...am-Palace.html
Old 12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Courtier

I have a hat box just like the one seen in the back of the Cambridges car. I feel so royal.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is getting exciting- they all look anxious and excited!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Do we usually get pictures from the x-mas lunch form inside the palace? Did the Duke of York daughters attend?

Tags
christmas