The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 04-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Since Buckingham Palace has announced that Trump will NOT be invited to stay in the Belgian Suite as per previous US presidents due to "renovation work", where will he be bunking?

The U.S. Ambassador's residence?
Probably at the Ambassador's Residence or at the Guest Suite at Windsor Castle.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC, United States
Posts: 767
I would expect Meghan to attend if she's able for several reasons.

1. She studied International Relations and was an attache. She would know that although you may have personal opinions about a government official, you keep your mouth shut and get on with the job. All of us in the corp service have had to sit down and have talks with mass murderers, human rights violators, dictators, warlords, etc. The stories that I can relay would be shocking.

2. Trooping will be a few days after this, and if she shows up there but not at the State Dinner, she would be mercilessly crucified. Now if she's not at Trooping, the same excuse of being on maternity leave will stand and no one will blame her.

3. It would be a little over 1 month since she would give birth. I'm sure she could get up and out for a few hours.

4. Personally, I want her to show up and show out, however, I will not blame her if she misses it due to maternity leave (as long as she's also for the next month from public, or else yes, people will judge).
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-25-2019, 12:16 PM
LadyGlendower's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: City of Light, France
Posts: 130
I would like to see Sophie in a different loaner tiara from HM and I too would like to see the York princesses there.

Melania wore a wonderful pale yellow gown on her last visit to the UK---so I am really looking forward to see what she chooses for a State dinner with the Queen. I know this is not the fashion thread but it's where my mind goes!

Also looking forward to some USA-UK pomp and circumstance at various points during the visit. Our relationship is an important, historic one.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
I would expect Meghan to attend if she's able for several reasons.

1. She studied International Relations and was an attache. She would know that although you may have personal opinions about a government official, you keep your mouth shut and get on with the job. All of us in the corp service have had to sit down and have talks with mass murderers, human rights violators, dictators, warlords, etc. The stories that I can relay would be shocking.

2. Trooping will be a few days after this, and if she shows up there but not at the State Dinner, she would be mercilessly crucified. Now if she's not at Trooping, the same excuse of being on maternity leave will stand and no one will blame her.

3. It would be a little over 1 month since she would give birth. I'm sure she could get up and out for a few hours.

4. Personally, I want her to show up and show out, however, I will not blame her if she misses it due to maternity leave (as long as she's also for the next month from public, or else yes, people will judge).
I still think the chances of her attending the state dinner is slim. It's one thing to attend Trooping with a carriage ride and then balcony appearance mostly just family around. She can sit down and relax if she needs a break in between. And does anyone really want to go all full on dressed with tiaras and gowns and all that a month after birth? I have no doubt she'll be judge for it, but it's not like she won't be otherwise.

As for this visit, do we expect a carriage ride procession down the Mall?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-25-2019, 12:42 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,732
Secret Service don't allow the carriage ride because of security.

But this is a State Visit with all the bells and whistles.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-25-2019, 01:41 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 847
This is very exciting since I have been hoping for this visit. I hope our First Lady brings it with the jewels. As rich as President Trump is, I imagine he has given her some serious jewelry over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
There's a saying in the military, you salute the rank, not the individual.

Same goes for a state visit. The democratically elected president of the UK's greatest ally should get the royal treatment.

The Sultan of Brunei can walk through London with his head held high and he stones people to death, yet people get in a tizzy over Trump.

Let's keep the politics out of the thread so it doesn't get locked.
I totally agree!!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
As for this visit, do we expect a carriage ride procession down the Mall?
Hopefully not for security reasons. Regardless of our personal opinions of this President, we shouldn't be naive. The will be A LOT of protests in London during these days...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 4,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
I would like to see Sophie in a different loaner tiara from HM and I too would like to see the York princesses there.
I hope EVERYONE wears a different tiara!
I'm tired of seeing Catherine in the Lover's Knot, or Camilla in the Greville.

There are so many in the vaults that are seldom seen; why stick to the same ones every time?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:59 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I hope EVERYONE wears a different tiara!
I'm tired of seeing Catherine in the Lover's Knot, or Camilla in the Greville.

There are so many in the vaults that are seldom seen; why stick to the same ones every time?
I want Camilla to wear the Delhi Durbar Tiara. It looks fantastic on her.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:37 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I want Camilla to wear the Delhi Durbar Tiara. It looks fantastic on her.
It does indeed, but I somehow doubt she would wear it. This is a somewhat tricky state visit, and the tiara would draw an awful lot of unwanted attention to her, which I don't think she would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliannaVictoria View Post
I would expect Meghan to attend if she's able for several reasons.

1. She studied International Relations and was an attache. She would know that although you may have personal opinions about a government official, you keep your mouth shut and get on with the job. All of us in the corp service have had to sit down and have talks with mass murderers, human rights violators, dictators, warlords, etc. The stories that I can relay would be shocking.

2. Trooping will be a few days after this, and if she shows up there but not at the State Dinner, she would be mercilessly crucified. Now if she's not at Trooping, the same excuse of being on maternity leave will stand and no one will blame her.

3. It would be a little over 1 month since she would give birth. I'm sure she could get up and out for a few hours.

4. Personally, I want her to show up and show out, however, I will not blame her if she misses it due to maternity leave (as long as she's also for the next month from public, or else yes, people will judge).
I don't expect Meghan to attend as she is on maternity leave.

Whilst on the issue of why Meghan might attend, Meghan's qualification to attend comes from her marriage to Harry. That is quite enough, IMO. I don't believe her brief internship in a foreign embassy or studying international relations at university necessarily do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Secret Service don't allow the carriage ride because of security.

But this is a State Visit with all the bells and whistles.
Quite right, but as with the Obama state visit in 2011, the bells and whistles may well be within the confines of the gardens at BP!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:50 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Hopefully not for security reasons. Regardless of our personal opinions of this President, we shouldn't be naive. The will be A LOT of protests in London during these days...
Could they not use closed carriages? Perhaps it would have been better to make this a State Visit that takes place at Windsor. No Problem with Guestsuites also.
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:50 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Quite right, but as with the Obama state visit in 2011, the bells and whistles may well be within the confines of the gardens at BP!
This is true. They're not going to take any unwarranted risks to security for this visit. It'll be a visit worthy of the President of the United States though and it doesn't matter just who is the president at this time.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Could they not use closed carriages? Perhaps it would have been better to make this a State Visit that takes place at Windsor. No Problem with Guestsuites also.
My guess is that the Household Cavalry will be in London for the Trooping shortly after the state visit, and it was inconvenient to move them.

Also, HM met with POTUS at Windsor last year, and he probably wants to get to visit BP, renovations notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 4,832
Although Meghan may still be on maternity leave, I am anticipating an All Hands on Deck! attitude for everyone else.

I think the RF will turn out in force, and I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan does attend.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:10 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,841
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan was there either. She may feel she needs a "night out" and a break from baby care by the time the state visit happens. It'll all depend on how she feels at the time. I don't think personal feelings towards the visiting President and his wife will figure into it at all.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 20,064
Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn has declined his invitation to the state dinner for President Trump.

He says he’d welcome a meeting with POTUS, but does not think we should be rolling out the red carpet.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:14 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn has declined his invitation to the state dinner for President Trump.

He says he’d welcome a meeting with POTUS, but does not think we should be rolling out the red carpet.
Oh dear, the Rt Hon Leader of HM's Opposition just does not seem to understand that the invitation is to the Head of State of one of our closest allies, as opposed to the Donald per se.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Could they not use closed carriages? Perhaps it would have been better to make this a State Visit that takes place at Windsor. No Problem with Guestsuites also.
It has been widely reported that the President wanted the carriage ride and the whole nine yards. I think it would be better to keep it relatively low key, as it will probably be disruptive to the natives.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Meghan was there either. She may feel she needs a "night out" and a break from baby care by the time the state visit happens. It'll all depend on how she feels at the time. I don't think personal feelings towards the visiting President and his wife will figure into it at all.
A night out and a state dinner is very different. A relaxed date night with your husband isn't the same as putting on a tiara and getting fully done up for a state occasion. The only way I see her attending is if she's required, and I don't see that right now.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Oh dear, the Rt Hon Leader of HM's Opposition just does not seem to understand that the invitation is to the Head of State of one of our closest allies, as opposed to the Donald per se.

IMO, I think the Opposition Leader should attend the dinner in a show of the United Kingdom. It is a State Visit.

As to the part which I bolded; By the way, HM is the Head of State, but not the Head of Government. The Prime Minister is the Head of Government, Opposition is to the Government, not to HM as Head of State.


.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
qe2, state visit, trump, united kingdom


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
administrator archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian belgian royal family castles countess of wessex crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke of sussex family search foundation french royalty friendly city germany greece harry head of the house henry v house of bourbon house of saxe-coburg and gotha jack brooksbank jerusalem kiko king philippe lineage lithuanian castles marriage meghan markle memoir monaco royal monarchism monarchist monarchy monogram official visit pakistan palaces patronages potential areas prince charles prince harry princess anne queen mathilde rania of jordan relationship royal children royal tour rumania russian imperial family saxony shakespeare sharjah siblings south africa spanish history state visit sweden swedish royalty trump usa valois viscount severn



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises