British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The service is actually about the Commonwealth, and celebrating different cultures and shared ties :) . It's very important to the Queen.

The Commonwealth Service was lovely.
The dusky blue was a winner for the Queen and Sophie was stunning in the white with a shadow of a dark cape or flag.

Meghan, Kate and Camilla looked gorgeous. All the ladies' hats were to die for but mostly the men stole the show. Edward for his courteous manners, William and Harry for their polite and intriguing interactions with each other and Charles for being the best dressed and most at ease.

The story is of Harry and Meghan's last engagement and I think they are a huge loss. Their leaving will be covered for months, intensely, yet.

The shock will be overcome at some point and the great family of the Commonwealth will continue on regardless.
The BRF is genuine in their support of the Commonwealth.

Last edited:
From what I see tension between the two Brothers is palpable.
So sad !

i always enjoy Commonwealth celebration. The event was full of diverse performances and I truly enjoyed it. it will be even better next year with drama free leading up to it.

Like others- I hope today is the end of the drama era for this royal family. Moving forward, we can all enjoy royal events without discussing body languages and disappointments of one couple or another. It's quite tiring to make everything about one couple all the time.

I don't know if I'm the only person feeling this way but the interactions that occurred today were really sad. When the Sussexes announced their transition plan, I was one of those who would say "they don't have a dutiful bone in their bodies or are deserting the RF", but this is unfortunate. The situation that really got me was when the Cambridges came to their seats and Meghan waved but didn't really receive a response. It just made me feel sad to say that the relationship really is shattered or fractured. I really hope in the future that the family can reunite, especially Harry and William considering all they've been through together.

William acknowledged at least Meghan's attempt by nodding his head it seemed.

Harry and William were sitting so far apart - could they have sat pretty much anywhere they wanted to? If so, the distance between them was palpable.

I loved Meghan’s curtesy to Charles and Harry nodding and smiling at his pa...

Last edited:
Harry and William were sitting so far apart - could they have sat pretty much anywhere they wanted to? If so, the distance between them was palpable.

Nope, seats are assigned per protocol and precedence - can't just land anywhere.?

The seating is set - front row (which is either five or six seats) - The Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine. Before Harry married he would have had the sixth seat in the front but they don't separate couples and so he goes to the next row back.

Second row - again four - six seats - the next set of people in the line of succession - so this year Harry and Meghan, Edward and Sophie. (If Andrew wasn't disgraced he would have been between the Sussex's and Wessex's). If Anne had attended then she and Tim would have been in the row behind or next to the Wessex's.

No one gets to choose their seat at an event like this. Everyone has a set seat from the Queen to the person seated in the corner in the very back row of the Abbey.

As the years go one Harry will move further and further back as George and his siblings grow and start attending some of these events - taking front row and second row seats. George, like his father and grandfather will always be in the front row but younger siblings move back as they are moved down the line of succession.

One would assume that they all are meeting privately as a family while Harry is home in the UK. Before or after events they'd possibly lunch together. Public events are but part of their life.

One would assume that they all are meeting privately as a family while Harry is home in the UK. Before or after events they'd possibly lunch together. Public events are but part of their life.

Possibly. But if there was a lot of family socializing going on I think they would of brought Archie, since it would of been a rare opportunity for the family to see him. So I think that for the Sussexes this is more of a business trip. There has been some meetings with the Queen but probably to discuss the logistics of things post-March 31st, specially security costs. Maybe meetings with Charles for similar reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if yesterday was the first time they saw the Cambridges and the Wessexes.

I must admit my favourite couple from yesterday was Prince Edward and Sophie,
they looked happy, interacting with everyone.

I must admit my favourite couple from yesterday was Prince Edward and Sophie,
they looked happy, interacting with everyone.

Yes, the Wessexes were very charming. I liked when Edward stood for William. A respectful acknowledgment of William's position. Catherine and Sophie always get on so well, so it's nice when they are seated near each other.

Yes, the Wessexes were very charming. I liked when Edward stood for William. A respectful acknowledgment of William's position. Catherine and Sophie always get on so well, so it's nice when they are seated near each other.

I actually think it is a generational thing - and he stood for a lady rather than for William.

I actually think it is a generational thing - and he stood for a lady rather than for William.

Perhaps. But he made eye contact with William when he stood, so I'll stick to my interpretation.

the Wessexes were very charming.

l agree.. it was lovely to see them 'pouring Balm' in what looked to be 'troubled waters' - their sheer kindness shines out of them.

I do not think there is anything in the seating arrangements other than the number of royals that were there.
If the Sussexs had sat in the front row that would have left the Wessex's sitting themselves, it might have been different if Andrew or Anne had been there to fill out the pews.
Did anybody else notice the two men walking down the aisle with the Queen, they were following at the back, I found that strange, Am I right in saying they were security,

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps. But he made eye contact with William when he stood, so I'll stick to my interpretation.

Making eye contact with one person while simultaneously standing for a lady isn't that hard. If acknowledging William as a future King was the issue why didn't Sophie also stand? She would follow her husband's lead if that was the reason for her husband standing.

Being the same generation as Edward I would expect him to stand for a lady at all times - and also to allow them to enter before him, except in really formal situations.

l agree.. it was lovely to see them 'pouring Balm' in what looked to be 'troubled waters' - their sheer kindness shines out of them.

Like how you phrased how they where, pouring Balm in what looked to be troubled waters.

I completely agree. Regardless of why Edward stood, whether it was in acknowledgement of William's position or in acknowledgement of Catherine's presence, it was nice to see. I agree that the Cambridges and the Wessexes always appear to very much enjoy each other's company and the Cambridges are always so kind to the Wessex children on those occasions when they happen to appear to appear together. I think it's safe to say that Catherine has lovely relationships with both Sophie and Louise and might even act as a bit of an "aunt" for Louise at times. These two really are two of my absolute favorite royal couples and it was lovely to see them interact yesterday, as always.

Does anyone here know of a link to an image of the Order of Service for the Commonwealth Day service?

l watched it too.. and Sussex looked incredibly uncomfortable, and 'ill at ease', in an environment he's been familiar with his whole life.

Whether it’s stress, jet lag, feeling under the weather, who knows, but Harry hasn’t looked especially well since he arrived back in the UK.

I can understand both brothers and their wives being uncomfortable at the Abbey event, especially, as they must have known how their every little movement and interaction would be under the microscope. The snippets I saw of them at the service did look stiff. But forced joviality has no place at a religious service.

As a general observation, I find it hard to believe, but it’s only been a couple of months since Harry and Meghan made their announcement. In a way I’m glad that the family didn’t try to rush things back to business as usual when they’re really only at the very beginning of what must be a painful and awkward process.

Edward and Sophie did a wonderful job of injecting a little bit of normality into the situation.

Court Circular 9th March:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen this afternoon attended the Commonwealth Day Observance Service in Westminster Abbey and was received by the Dean of Westminster (the Very Reverend Dr David Hoyle) and the Chairman of the Council of Commonwealth Societies (the Lord Howell of Guildford).

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and The Earl and Countess of Wessex were also present.

Following the frosty disaster that was the Commonwealth Service I am beginning to think they are well shot of the BRF. The meddling of so-called Courtiers has been an underlying poison for over forty years.

Ommitting the Sussexes from the Royal Procession was a petty and mean action since the Sussexes do not cease being working Royals until the end of the month. It was a petty slap in the face intended to cause division and humiliation and I for one do not believe was instigated by HM or Charles.

Had it been sanctioned, nothing would have changed and the Cambridge's would have been at the head of the procession. They were not and instead we were treated to a shocking public display is bad manners.

HM and Charles knew that all eyes would be on the BRF before and during the televised service as the popularity of the Sussexes notwithstanding, this was an historic moment which is probably why the Cambridge's ended up not joining the procession.

However, the frosty 'cut direct' delivered to Harry and Meghan by his elder brother and his wife was in no way subtle and discreet and just for kicks and grins, while they all ignore the so-called body language experts they would do well to recognise that the wonders of technology now produce clear, crisp, sharp pictures. Lip readers now have a very high degree of accuracy in their translation.

Follo before and during the televised service as the popularity of the Sussexes notwithstanding, this was an historic moment which is probably why the Cambridge's ended up not joining the procession.

However, the frosty 'cut direct' delivered to Harry and Meghan by his elder brother and his wife was in no way subtle and discreet and just for kicks and grins, while they all ignore the so-called body language experts they would do well to recognise that the wonders of technology now produce clear, crisp, sharp pictures. Lip readers now have a very high degree of accuracy in their translation.
what was said? Harry and Meghan? Did Will and Kate say something chilly?

Following the frosty disaster that was the Commonwealth Service I am beginning to think they are well shot of the BRF. The meddling of so-called Courtiers has been an underlying poison for over forty years.

Ommitting the Sussexes from the Royal Procession was a petty and mean action since the Sussexes do not cease being working Royals until the end of the month. It was a petty slap in the face intended to cause division and humiliation and I for one do not believe was instigated by HM or Charles.

Had it been sanctioned, nothing would have changed and the Cambridge's would have been at the head of the procession. They were not and instead we were treated to a shocking public display is bad manners.

HM and Charles knew that all eyes would be on the BRF before and during the televised service as the popularity of the Sussexes notwithstanding, this was an historic moment which is probably why the Cambridge's ended up not joining the procession.

I guess I’m confused as to why it’s a big deal as, earlier in the thread (recently, though), it was stated that not all the working Royals did a procession... Should the Sussexes have been treated differently? I’m asking honestly....I can’t imagine this was meant to be a slap in the face to them, especially if HM and Charles signed off on it.

As to the brothers, I guess maybe the Mail might have been right about the dust up between the Cambridges and Sussexes about the latter not being in the procession.

Sigh, this is all so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom