The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I wonder if they still have the Ghillies Ball while the family are up there.
Yes, they do. William went alone last year in September because Kate was sick with hyperemesis gravidarum.
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...urch-balmoral/

Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you very much for that Larisa. I do hope we get a photo this year of Kate and Meghan all dressed up. And of course the other ladies. But even a balcony photo like they used to give us would be good.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
Thank you very much for that Larisa. I do hope we get a photo this year of Kate and Meghan all dressed up. And of course the other ladies. But even a balcony photo like they used to give us would be good.
Unlikely. They do not release any pictures of the event
Old 08-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Royal Highness

I guess you are right. The only photos i have seen are very old photo's from a balcony/gallery looking down, with the Queen Mother and Princess Anne dancing. Probably back in the late 1970's.
So really we must be due for a nice photo of the royals enjoying the Ghillies ball.
Can only hope.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

TALK OF THE TOWN: Will Fergie and Phil make Royal Wedding a toe-curling affair | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Fergie arrived with Prince Andrew and the coupleís eldest daughter Beatrice on Thursday on her annual visit to the Scottish retreat. But in what appears to be very careful planning, she left the estate at 10.30am on Sunday after waving Andrew and Bea off to church and headed for Aberdeen airport in a Range Rover, while the Duke of Edinburgh, 97, arrived at 11.15am, to be reunited with the Queen. A Balmoral source tells me: ĎHer Majesty often has the Duchess for a few days at Balmoral early in her annual summer holiday there, but Prince Philip does not like being in the same building as her. He just canít bring himself to forgive her for some of the outrageous things she has done.í
Old 08-19-2018, 06:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

IMO the more fuss like this the more likely it is Philip will turn up and be nice and pie.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

The practice of Philip arriving at Balmoral as Sarah leaves is hardly news. It has been happening now for a number of years.

I am sure he can manage to be in a church at the same time as Sarah without having to even speak to her.

As it is an afternoon wedding I doubt there will be two receptions so in all probability the couple will do a quick visit to the Castle for some photos before the evening reception at Royal Lodge, which I doubt that the Queen and Philip will attend - note they didn't attend the evening receptions for either William or Harry.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Edward with his family attend at Crathie Church in Balmoral today 19 August

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...urch,_balmoral

Article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-Balmoral.html
Old 08-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Edward with his family attend at Crathie Church in Balmoral today 19 August

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...urch,_balmoral

Article

Prince Philip, 97, makes a surprise appearance in Balmoral | Daily Mail Online
Very rare to see Camilla driving to Crathie. Also, interesting to note that Charles was not around.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Very rare to see Camilla driving to Crathie. Also, interesting to note that Charles was not around.
Charles was in the same car.
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2...4685260583.jpg
Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Zara and Mike Tindall are there as well. A real family affair this weekend.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Thanks for pointing out, I had not noticed.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The practice of Philip arriving at Balmoral as Sarah leaves is hardly news. It has been happening now for a number of years.

I am sure he can manage to be in a church at the samye time as Sarah without having to even speak to her.

As it is an afternoon wedding I doubt there will be two receptions so in all probability the couple will do a quick visit to the Castle for some photos before the evening reception at Royal Lodge, which I doubt that the Queen and Philip will attend - note they didn't attend the evening receptions for either William or Harry.
I agree, Philip will be at his granddaughterís wedding.

Where have you seen that it is an afternoon wedding? I didnít think we knew the time yet?

Mods, this can be moved to the wedding thread.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Posts discussing the precedent of Sarah, Duchess of York and Princess Margaret have been moved here. As this is a current events thread, and Princess Margaret has been dead for 16 years, there is no need to bring her up again.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am not sure if this qualifies as a 'current event' but here goes:

I was watching the TV show Pointless this evening on the ABC (the British version not the Aussie one on Channel 10) and one of the questions was to name the people who had married descendants of George VI (yes I got them all). I am sure everyone on here would be able to even pick the three that were actually pointless answers. If you want to have a guess maybe PM me and I will create a list of those who are correct in 24 hours or so.

The interesting response for me was the person who knew Diana's name was Diana but not her surname and so got 100 points. Even if they had got that name they would have still gone home because Diana was the highest scoring points followed by Philip and then Kate. I did find it interesting that a Brit didn't know Diana's maiden name and to me they looked like they had never heard the name 'Spencer' when they were told it.

If anyone else watched that episode I also would have come up with a pointless answer for the last question - the cricketers from the 1970s as the first name I came up with was Luckhurst (yes there is a story as to how I know that but not here).

Yesterday they had questions on stately homes which included BP as a possible answer. With that set of answers one person said that Balmoral was the name of the Queen's Norfolk estate. These people are all British remember ... shows that not everyone follows the royals the way we do.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The interesting response for me was the person who knew Diana's name was Diana but not her surname and so got 100 points. Even if they had got that name they would have still gone home because Diana was the highest scoring points followed by Philip and then Kate. I did find it interesting that a Brit didn't know Diana's maiden name and to me they looked like they had never heard the name 'Spencer' when they were told it.
How old was this person? If he was under 30 Iím not surprised. Iíd be surprised if they knew anything about Diana more than her name and that she died in a car crash.

Quote:
shows that not everyone follows the royals the way we do.
Of course they donít. The number of ardent royal followers, like people on this forum, is tiny in the general population. People are mostly interested in big news (marriages, babies, divorces and any other scandals) and only for the most prominent royals (Queen, Cambridges and Sussexes).
Old 08-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Yesterday they had questions on stately homes which included BP as a possible answer. With that set of answers one person said that Balmoral was the name of the Queen's Norfolk estate. These people are all British remember ... shows that not everyone follows the royals the way we do.
Reminds me of that reality show Sarah Ferguson did where she stayed with a working class family who live on a council estate somewhere in the north of England. The age range was from little kids to parents aged 40-50ish. Not only did they not know who she was, they also had no idea who Andrew is.

It's what always makes me doubt these polls showing that the British people don't want Camilla to be Queen. Realistically, they should ask a follow up question of whether they actually care that much either way, to which I think the answer would be broadly 'not much'.

I always laugh at the Pointless questions on European royalty. When asked, for example, to name the king of the Netherlands or Spain etc. no more than 5% know the answer.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Interestingly the first answer given to that question was Sarah Ferguson and she had a score in the 30s.

Sorry that I didn't post this last night but spent a lot of yesterday at the doctor's having tests ready for knee replacement surgery - now that the stress fracture appears to have healed (so annoying to know that without that fracture I would probably be home after rehab ... or close to it but still have to wait another five weeks for surgery) but I digress....

The three pointless answers: Daniel Chatto (married to Lady Sarah), Serena Stanhope now Countess Snowdon having married David, and Autumn Kelly - Peter Philip's wife.

Tim Laurence was a single digit answer and Mark Philips was in double figures.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Elizabeth , Cambridges, Tindals, Princess Anne spend time together at Balmoral on 24 August

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...tate,_scotland

https://78.media.tumblr.com/5edc44e6...32seo2_540.jpg
Old 08-26-2018, 06:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Love how typical these pictures seem - The Queen has the oldest car of the lot and Anne has a dog hanging out the window screaming don't mess with me!

Tags
british royal family, current events