The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree, Ish. Forget for the moment that Elizabeth is the Queen. I think it would be a really good idea for her to round up all her descendants for a spectacular group photo while both she and Philip are around and well enough to do it.

I'd be organising it now, right now, and not waiting till next year for her 90th or till she beats her great-great-grandmother in the longest reign stakes. It would be a shame to leave it too late.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 AM
Courtier

Why do you guys keep saying the Queen will turn 90 next year? I thought she was born in 1926.

I also don't think she will do a group photo when she surpasses Victoria next September. It's a little pompous to brag about living longer than one of your relatives, I can't see her disrespecting Victoria like that.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Why do you guys keep saying the Queen will turn 90 next year? I thought she was born in 1926.

I also don't think she will do a group photo when she surpasses Victoria next September. It's a little pompous to brag about living longer than one of your relatives, I can't see her disrespecting Victoria like that.
As for HM's age, in my case all I can say is 'monkey see, monkey do'.

Surpassing Victoria in length of reign has nothing to do with outliving her. Elizabeth has already outlived Victoria by 7 years and is the oldest reigning British monarch.

Celebrating her long reign is about Elizabeth reigning longer than Victoria, who at the moment is the longest reigning British monarch, with Elizabeth in second place and closing and I hope she makes it to first place. Victoria acceded to the throne at the age of 18 so had a 7 year head start over Elizabeth who was 25 when her father died.

I understand that precedence amongst living monarchs is determined by length of reign so it's a concept with which they are well familiar and there's nothing disrespectful about it.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:09 AM
Nobility

There was a family photo a few years ago. Only ones missing were the Wessex children. I think it was the Queen and DoE anniversary. 60?
Old 12-20-2014, 05:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Of course these 'family' photos could very well be taken - but simply not being released to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if they do have a family photo taken each year at the Christmas get-together - for their own memories for instance.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Of course these 'family' photos could very well be taken - but simply not being released to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if they do have a family photo taken each year at the Christmas get-together - for their own memories for instance.
I think that's right, they probably do have photos taken regularly, they just don't release them to the public.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen and Prince Philip attend church without family for some quiet time ahead of Xmas | Royal | News | Daily Express
Quote:
THE Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attended church without the rest of the royal family as they began their Christmas preparations.

After arriving in Norfolk by train on Friday, the 88-year-old monarch looked chirpy as she made her way from Sandringham House to St Mary Magdalene Church.

The Queen opted to travel in a Ranger Rover while plucky Prince Philip, wrapped up in a camel coat, made the short journey on foot.

There was no sign of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, who are currently at their nearby home of Anmer Hall.

Wearing purple, the Queen did not pause to greet crowds of well-wishers who had gathered outside the church as a cold wind whipped across the estate.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Serene Highness

Wearing purple, the Queen did not pause to greet crowds of well-wishers who had gathered outside the church as a cold wind whipped across the estate.

And so another season of THIS begins
Old 12-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Well leave the woman alone already...she doesn't have to wave everytime a group of people think they need to watch her walking from Church.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I suspect they do take pictures over the holidays. Many families do so but I think it would be beautiful if they took a nice big family picture by a professional photographer and released it. One for The Queen's 90th Birthday (God's willing, no sickness nor death) would be an excellent time to do so.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I suspect they do take pictures over the holidays. Many families do so but I think it would be beautiful if they took a nice big family picture by a professional photographer and released it. One for The Queen's 90th Birthday (God's willing, no sickness nor death) would be an excellent time to do so.
Why?

People complain that they are nothing more than celebrities. Celebrities release photos all the time.

The royals are the family of the Head of State and most of them are rather irrelevant to the overall scheme of things.

They gather together most years at Trooping the Colour and so there is usually a large photo available - and most people can't identify all the people in it so why bother releasing any official photo of any more than The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and George - the present and future of the monarchy.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Why?

People complain that they are nothing more than celebrities. Celebrities release photos all the time.

The royals are the family of the Head of State and most of them are rather irrelevant to the overall scheme of things.

They gather together most years at Trooping the Colour and so there is usually a large photo available - and most people can't identify all the people in it so why bother releasing any official photo of any more than The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and George - the present and future of the monarchy.
I'm talking about how nice it would be for the family to take a nice official family portrait for The Queen's 90th Birthday and then release it. They have released many pictures before and recently did so of Prince George. No one is saying for the family to pose like the Kardashian's or anything.

The British and European royals have released many pictures over the decades. Why all of a sudden it seems like a problem to get a nice royal family picture to be taken and released? They've done this before.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

It isn't a problem.

I just don't see the necessity for them to do so and can't understand why people keeping thinking that they should do so.

It is almost as if people are demanding to control what the royal family share with us rather than accepting what they decide to share.

It is demands like this that explain why William is so paranoid about the public and his privacy - he is controlling what people are seeing with regards to George and I get the feeling that he is setting the agenda on this - a more private and less open BRF because the public seem to think they have a right to see everything.

If The Queen and Philip do decide to ever release a new family photo - good - but it should be an expectation.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It isn't a problem.

I just don't see the necessity for them to do so and can't understand why people keeping thinking that they should do so.

It is almost as if people are demanding to control what the royal family share with us rather than accepting what they decide to share.

It is demands like this that explain why William is so paranoid about the public and his privacy - he is controlling what people are seeing with regards to George and I get the feeling that he is setting the agenda on this - a more private and less open BRF because the public seem to think they have a right to see everything.

If The Queen and Philip do decide to ever release a new family photo - good - but it should be an expectation.
It's not about the royal family sharing their private photos, demanding they take a family picture or releasing an annual picture during Christmas.

I was just suggesting that it would be nice if the royal family took a nice official family portrait that the palace would release. I think it would be nice to have the young children included in the photo. A photo like that for the Queen's 90th Birthday would be a beautiful thing and a good idea, IMO.

No one is trying to intrude on the royal family's private life or anything of that nature.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

British Royal Christmas 2008-2014

It would probably be hard to put the whole extended family in one shot. They did one of the adults for the Queen's bday couple of years ago. However, you could do the immediate family with the spouses and kids.

I would like to see a photo of the Queen and Philip with their great grandkids. Maybe for Philip's bday next year since baby cambridge will be here.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

The one they did for the Queen's diamond anniversary in 2007 had her immediate family in it. That would be a perfect photo to get an updated version of as the family has expanded since then.

I would imagine one will be released for her 90th birthday but I have a feeling it will just be of the Queen and Philip and not a group shot, or just one with William, Charles and George again as the next Monarch's. The British just don't release photos like their Royal counterparts sadly. I was surprised one was released for Edward's 50th birthday, and when they did say one would be released I half expected one of him on his own or one with Sophie - definitely not one with the kids which was an added bonus.

Group shots used to be taken at Balmoral all the time and there were a lot of photos of the Queen and her grandchildren at Balmoral as well. (Sophie was even invited to stand in some before she was even engaged, which was a big deal for the Queen to allow that.) They sadly stopped in the late 90's, though unsure as to why. Maybe they will start again now that George is small and the Cambridge's saw the good reaction to the Christmas photos of George.

We should probably get back on topic though...back to Christmas at Sandringham.

I hear rumours that the Cambridge's are staying at Anmer Hall this Christmas. Is this true? If so, then it frees up a couple of rooms at Sandringham which is a good thing.

How many bedrooms does Sandringham have?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

The Cambridges were spotted out in seeing Santa in Norfolk Saturday and the Queen and Philip went to church by themselves on Sunday. So it's probably safe to assume that WKG are at Amner.

Sandringham is pretty small compared to the other royal residences. The reports are that some of the family has to stay in staff bedrooms for Christmas when everybody from the Queen's immediate family plus Margaret's family.

I love that the Queen includes the Chattos and Linleys at Christmas. They grew up with Edward and Andrew spending their school breaks with the Queen while Margaret was partying in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

clarencehouse
4 hours ago
Feeling festive here @clarencehouse #MerryChristmas
Instagram

A very creative wreath.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

And so another season of THIS begins
She did it last time in 2012, then she was 86. She has hardly gone on a walkabout the past two years, we must remember that she is almost 90.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

She usually have Beatrice & Eugenie and Catherine help her with the flowers and crowds on Christmas. Very true, she's approaching 90 now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
christmas