The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaelfka View Post
9 am service is in a private part of estate, so ladies are in less formal attire.
11 am service is in the public part, where wellwishers can greet them, take pics etc, so they are in formal outfits including hats and jewellery.
Thank you, annaelfka.

Only two hours apart? I suppose when you have servants doing all the cooking and laying out your outfits you can spend all Christmas day going to church and eating and changing into different outfits between each activity.

I find the hat business interesting because I have always thought there was some element of propriety involved, i.e. Anglican women were supposed to cover their heads in church like Catholics do (or at least did), but if the Queen herself doesn't see the need to wear a hat then the hat-wearing for Anglicans seems to only be about dressing up. Where's Bertie? She'll know.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Still no James!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

From Twitter - o/s picture of Camilla.

http://t.co/uTo9j95Bja

Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Still no James!
I know! I really hoped he would be there. Louise was adorable though as she and Margarita helped William and Kate gather their flowers.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

No idea if this is the right place but the Monarchy website has put up highlights of 2013.

I've already found a pic of the Glos. which I've posted on their thread - never seen it before.

Here is the direct link

The British Monarchy in 2013: a Review (with images, tweets) · BritishMonarchy · Storify

this is the link to the entire website

http://www.royal.gov.uk/

Old 12-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Thank you, annaelfka.

Only two hours apart? I suppose when you have servants doing all the cooking and laying out your outfits you can spend all Christmas day going to church and eating and changing into different outfits between each activity.

I find the hat business interesting because I have always thought there was some element of propriety involved, i.e. Anglican women were supposed to cover their heads in church like Catholics do (or at least did), but if the Queen herself doesn't see the need to wear a hat then the hat-wearing for Anglicans seems to only be about dressing up. Where's Bertie? She'll know.

I'm baffled to see that the Royal ladies have attended church with heads uncovered - I had always assumed their hat-wearing was done for propriety's sake, not as a fashion-statement. (former Anglican, now RC here)
Old 12-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
What - no screaming from the bushes that a 40+ woman should never wear a short skirt - need to lie down to recover.
Not a peep.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Aristocracy

Why isn't James a part of the royal parade? I know he's young, but he's getting to an age where he should be a part of such gatherings, even if only for a short time. What's the youngest age a royal kid has done the walk to Christmas church services? Or is it decided more by the child's attention span and ability to behave? Some kids manage to grasp this faster than others.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Why isn't James a part of the royal parade?
Perhaps *Gasp* he's a Athiest !
Old 12-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

You know Wyevale, I think he is!

I think the reason he doesn't go is because he likely can't sit still for long enough. He looks like he has a lot of energy to spend and perhaps his parents don't think it's appropriate for him to be chattering the whole way through the church service. I hoped he would be there this year as he has attended a few family things this year, but no such luck. Next year when he is 7 may be his year!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Watching the Queen and Royal Family has been a Christmas morning tradition here for many years,I missed it yesterday morning thanks to the Christmas Eve storms but I'm now catching up!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
What - no screaming from the bushes that a 40+ woman should never wear a short skirt - need to lie down to recover.

I think one cannot say in general all women of 40 plus should never wear a short skirt! I think it depends all on the specific type and personality AND the way things are combined.
Some look very good in it, some shouldn´t wear a short skirt.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Courtier

Could someone please help me with the names of both sons of Sarah Chatto and Lord Linley? I always confusingly mix them up.... I think it´s Charles and Arthur Armstrong-Jones , but the Chatto-boy? Who is who on the Sandringham-chapel-steps-pic?! Thanks in advance!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Lovely photos of The RF at Sandringham. Louise has grown up a lot and is quite a pretty young lady. It's nice to see Margarita (who is blossoming into a beautiful young lady) and Louise helping HM with the flowers. I was a little disappointed that James didn't attend, he's 6 now so he's "of age". Hopefully he'll go next year. I also liked listening to HM's speech (I don't really get to have that opportunity as my uncle is a republican and I go to his house for Christmas), the footage of the official christening photos being taken was adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Could someone please help me with the names of both sons of Sarah Chatto and Lord Linley? I always confusingly mix them up.... I think it´s Charles and Arthur Armstrong-Jones , but the Chatto-boy? Who is who on the Sandringham-chapel-steps-pic?! Thanks in advance!
Sarah Chatto's children are called Samuel and Arthur, Charles Armstrong-Jones is Linley's son and he has a sister called Margarita. If this is the photo you're referring to, then I think that is Charles and Arthur on the steps (you can also see Samuel behind them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'd guess that it may be Margarita Armstrong-Jones, but I could be wrong. I can't remember if the Armstrong-Jones family came last year, or the year before.
IIRC, The Linleys didn't attend last year's Christmas at Sandringham but did attend the year before's.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sarah's sons are Samuel and Arthur, David's son is Charles and his daughter is Margarita.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
You know Wyevale, I think he is!

I think the reason he doesn't go is because he likely can't sit still for long enough. He looks like he has a lot of energy to spend and perhaps his parents don't think it's appropriate for him to be chattering the whole way through the church service. I hoped he would be there this year as he has attended a few family things this year, but no such luck. Next year when he is 7 may be his year!
If the reason is that he can't sit still for a church service, I shudder to think what he's like in school, all day long.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 12-26-2013, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Some of the younger members of the Royal Family appeared to be enjoying the Christmas festivities as they larked around outside the annual church service at Sandringham.
Among those having a right Royal laugh was prankster Peter Phillips who took advantage of Prince William chatting with younger brother Harry to play a 'bunny ears' trick on his cousin.
Princess Anne's son Peter, 36, had a cheeky grin across his face as he crouched down behind the Prince, ready to pounce.
Prince William mocks bearded Harry, before Peter Phillips pulls 'bunny ears' prank | Mail Online

I usually think that beards make men better-looking, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of Harry's - he looked better without it.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 12-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm definitely on the side of folks that think Harry looks very very good with his beard. Without it, Harry always had kind of a boyish charm to him but add that beard and its like.. wow.. instantly all man oozing sex appeal.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Courtier

Annual football charity Christmas match at Sandringham:

Dirty Harry! Bearded Prince's below-the-belt tackles earn him a ticking off from referee at football match (and big brother William was also a target) | Mail Online
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Serene Highness

The women over 40 who look great in short skirts (discussed earlier on this thread) do so because they are skinny, really really skinny. Some of them may just be fine boned, so that having legs that thin is perfectly natural for them. I found a pic of me in my 40's and my legs were very thin. I was a teacher so I never wore short skirts except when on vacation at the beach. I'm from a different generation, however. Old Fogey.

Tags
christmas