The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathl29 View Post
I am up to episode 8 and am loving this drama. My husband who never watches this sort of program is also engrossed in it - for some reason he is particularly fascinated by the Margaret and Peter Townsend story!! The building interiors are very well done and add to the pleasure in watching this. Looking forward to series 2 :)
How close is the Margaret/Peter Townsend story to reality? I have watched through episode 8 so don't know how it ends, but it seems like they could have gotten married or is HM forced to withdraw any support she had for them?

Old 11-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Crown Season 2?

When will the Netflix original series The Crown Season 2 be on Netflix?

Old 11-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Majesty

Why does the title of this thread say that the series has 20 episoded when, in fact, they are 10?

I have a lot of curiosity about which actresses will be chosen to portray the Queen as the seasons are filmed.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

They are supposed to change the actors every two seasons. Season 1 is briefly in 1947 for the wedding and then jumps to 1951 for George VI lung surgery. He dies early in 1952. The coronation was in 1953. The final break with Townsend and Margaret was 1955. The Suez crisis and the Melbourne Olympics which are talked about but not shown yet happen in 1956.

I don't know how far season 2 will go into the 1960s. The Queen in her 30s, Philip would turn 40 in 1961. In theory you could age make up Claire Foy and Matt Smith to play The Queen and Philip in the 1970s may even the early part of the 80s. Then get older actors for the mid 80s to today.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Why does the title of this thread say that the series has 20 episoded when, in fact, they are 10?

I have a lot of curiosity about which actresses will be chosen to portray the Queen as the seasons are filmed.

Because the first and second season, each consisting of 10 episodes, were commissioned together. Only 10 episodes have been released, but there will be at least another 10 with season 2.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

The ultimate plan is six seasons of 10 episodes each to cover the Queen's reign.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Because the first and second season, each consisting of 10 episodes, were commissioned together. Only 10 episodes have been released, but there will be at least another 10 with season 2.

Ah, thank you. I thought that it would be the first season to have 20 episodes!
Old 11-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The ultimate plan is six seasons of 10 episodes each to cover the Queen's reign.

Yes. 6 seasons/10 episodes each.

I cannot wait to see this! My older daughter wants to watch with me, but she's been so busy with schoolwork, college applications, etc. I promised I'd wait, so it might not be until winter break...
Old 11-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Royal Highness

Watched the first episode last night, and am impressed.
The lighting cast the perfect impression of the Stygian gloom of the Post-war Palaces, and [the then] smoggy London. The casting good [but not quite] perfect. Queen Elizabeth,[too thin, and without the characteristic slant of Head] and Peter Townsend [insufficiently dashing and handsome] seem wrong. The script and pace are great, and I look forward to being 'hooked'.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Been watching the series. Why do I get the feeling the actress who plays The Queen appear lost? Her eyes have no life in them.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Royal Highness

I've just watched episode two, dealing with the death of George VI and the untimely accession of HMQ whilst on Tour in Kenya.
I was profoundly moved by this astonishing piece of work, and have rarely [if ever] seen anything more evocative or better done. I commend ALL concerned.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Royal Highness

Tom and Lorenzo have been doing a nice job of analyzing the costuming. Here's the latest:

"The Crown" Style: Hyde Park Corner | Tom + Lorenzo

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Nobility

I'm watching episode 10 and I'm disappointed that they did not get an Egyptian actor to play Gamal Abdel Nasser, the accent is VERY clear that it's not Egyptian!
Old 11-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I just love it and have watched the first episode. I think all the actors are giving the essence of their characters beautifully, especially the lead. A few in accuracies, but love the bejeweled queen Mary.
Were the children, Charles and Anne, ever in Malta?
Old 11-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I just love it and have watched the first episode. I think all the actors are giving the essence of their characters beautifully, especially the lead. A few in accuracies, but love the bejeweled queen Mary.
Were the children, Charles and Anne, ever in Malta?
IIRC The Duke of Cornwall and The Princess Anne (to give them their titles at the time) met their parents on Gibraltar at the end of the Coronation Tour - but didn't go to Malta.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I started watching the series yesterday and have just finished the second episode. At first, I found it quite hard to enjoy but as the episode went on, I got more and more into it. The acting has been brilliant, to the extent where I feel emotions for the characters. I was sad when HM and Princess Margaret were sad at their father's death! The King's coughing scenes also made me worried for his character. I don't like Claire Foy's attempt at the young queen's accent (it sounds a bit too "forceful" to my ears) but other than that, she played the part well. I look forward into watching the rest of the series and will be looking out for the next one too!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Majesty

I have now watched all of it and I highly recommend it.

If you are seeking 100% factual record then obviously this is not for you. This is a drama hung on a framework of history and some known facts.

If you want good acting, interesting parallels in history of the day and high production values then it is terrific.

I look forward to series 2

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Courtier

spoiler alert

my favorite scene was the one before the dinner at 10 Downing Street i don't know why but i believe that this conversation actually happened .

it would be great if they brought back helen mirren as the queen maybe from the fourth season .
Old 11-12-2016, 12:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Btw, my early twenties son started watching before I did as he has known my interest in royalty and became hooked. He has asked me lots of history questions...so,really this will get a lot of,younger people to learn history at least.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:04 AM
Nobility

I've watched 4 episodes so far and am highly impressed. I love the interiors, the exteriors, most of the acting. Queen Mary is portrayed exactly as I would have thought (she's my favorite royal of all) although for some reason I thought she was a tall woman. Claire Foy has a monumental task and mostly I like her although there;s a hesitancy to her speech and behavior that I don't like. I know it's intended to show us that the young Queen is only beginning to find her footing, and I also know that the fault is not with the actor but the director. It still bothers me a little.