Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say that's a dainty little brooch, but then I saw the full-scale photo of HM wearing it. That's quite a substantial one and reminds me of the badges that were worn to represent the royal houses in medieval times.

I wonder if there was a guest at the Church or staying at Sandringham, who had something to do with the gift of this brooch? I suppose we may never know...
Could be.
Or it could be one of the presents the Queen received for her Jubilee year.
I wish we got more information about these pieces, but of course the Buckingham Palace is never going to release official information about most private presents.

I wish BP would be a bit more open about this one too. I mean, it's obviously a representation of a heraldic emblem for England and worn by the Queen for a specific reason, surely they could at least give us some info on it, even if they don't tell us who gave it to HM.

:previous: they wouldn't reply to a request for information if sent to website or facebook?

:previous:
They'd probably go for a generic "The Palace does not disclose information about private gifts" type of response.
Still, worth a try. So, who volunteers? :whistling:

I haven't got a clue, I can say I'm pretty sure I've never seen this one before. :lol:

For the IOC reception, the Queen wore one of my favourite brooches - Prince Albert's sapphire brooch.
Now, I'm mad about sapphires (and emeralds), so I would have loved this one almost by default; however, the simplicity and beauty of the design make it one of my all-time favourites. Prince Albert definitely had a great taste jewellery-wise.

You can see a really big picture of the brooch here (thanks to Royal Collection for kindly providing the bigger version).
If you want to, you can read bout the history of the brooch here.

Image provided by the Royal Collection with permission to share.

Attachments

• 1 - Copy.jpg
    1 - Copy.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 282
Just exquisite; I can't say enough about the simple beauty of this brooch with that gorgeous sapphire and substantial diamonds.

Just exquisite; I can't say enough about the simple beauty of this brooch with that gorgeous sapphire and substantial diamonds.

You have stated it brilliantly. I love the simplicity of this brooch. That concept makes it even more exquisite in my eyes. I would have loved to see this on a gown that was of solid white, light blue, silver or beige. The flowers make it a little difficult to spot it.

She may not attend events - but I don't think it would be beyond her to wear the hibiscus or wattle brooches on the same day as some swimming events, for example. In any case, it will make it give another reason to watch what she chooses.

HM wore the King William IV Brooch

In 1830 King William IV took six large brilliants and a number of smaller stones from a diamond-studded Badge of the Order of the Bath that had belonged to his father, King George III, and had this brooch made using the six large stones set in a circular frame around a cluster centre. It was left to the Crown by Queen Victoria in 1901. Queen Mary attached a large oval diamond drop to the brooch in 1929 and Queen Elizabeth wore it (without the drop) at her Coronation in 1937.
- 'The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II' by Leslie Field p/b p 80.

Although the third image is clear and comparatively sharp it lacks any sense of depth, thereby giving the brooch the appearance of being somewhat flat, which of course it's not.

v thumbnails 1 & 2 cropped from much larger images and not subject to copyright
It's likely that thumbnail 3 is a scan, probably from Ms Field's book.

Attachments

• EIIR Olympics Opening.jpg
    EIIR Olympics Opening.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 974
  • W IV Brooch.jpg
    W IV Brooch.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 746
  • Brooch William IV.jpg
    Brooch William IV.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,478
Last edited:
That is a really pretty brooch. Thank you for the picture, Warren.

Her expression makes me ROFL. It's like she's thinking: "What the *&@ am I doing here??" :ROFLMAO:

That brooch positively flamed with rainbows of color tonight- lovely

London Olympics Jewels

Does anyone know anything about that fabulous brooch HM wore for the Opening Ceremonies? I thought it might be the William IV brooch, but now I think maybe not. It didn't look that familiar and I've never seen it except in photographs anyway.

I didn't notice anything but those rather pedestrian earrings on the Duchess of Cambridge, and US television showed just about nothing of the Duchess of Cornwall, so would love photos of whatever jewelry they had on.

And what a good sport HM was to play along with James Bond! Well done ma'am! And your little dogs too!

yes it is the William IV brooch aka Queen Adelaide Brooch (William IV's consort) much more information here.

http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/

under the royal jewels forums you can find discussions on each of the aforementioned royal's jewels for the opening ceremonies.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one amazing cluster of diamonds and the first time, for me, that I've seen her wear it. I can't believe she jumped out of a helicopter wearing that!:D:D

That is one amazing cluster of diamonds and the first time, for me, that I've seen her wear it. I can't believe she jumped out of a helicopter wearing that!:D:D

I thought the brooch was very pretty too (and of course I love that it was simple, not too over-the-top). Somehow, I don't think she herself could believe that 'she' could jump out of a helicopter wearing such a heirloom :D :lol:. I'd love to see the replica that was used for the stunt-double.

Very entertaining story, thanks for the link. I remember that it was reported last year on April Fool's that "James Bond" would be parachuting in at the Olympics and HM would have a role, but it was scoffed as a joke. I guess sometimes you can believe the things that you read in the media.;)

Very entertaining story, thanks for the link. I remember that it was reported last year on April Fool's that "James Bond" would be parachuting in at the Olympics and HM would have a role, but it was scoffed as a joke. I guess sometimes you can believe the things that you read in the media.;)

I remember when the rumors came out - but I thought maybe in the next bond film a nod to the jubilee.... never thought of olympics.

A big picture to see all the beauty of the brooch.
You can read about its history and provenance here.

Image posted with the permission of Royal Collection.

Attachments

• V134307704313795_1.jpg
    V134307704313795_1.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 299
I think what makes these old pieces interesting are the flaws, if they can be called that. No two stones are cut the same. Obviously all hand cut. You do not see that today. With all the lasers, etc, each diamond would look exactly the same to the naked eye.

Beautiful piece! Hope to see Kate wearing it one day in the future.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom