Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM pulls out the big guns for her big celebration. What a treat.

The Queen is wearing the Cullinan III brooch (Granny Chips) today.
I've been waiting for one of the Cullinans to make an appearance for ages now!

This is exactly what I'd hoped for and I was speechless when I spotted it. How perfect for today, and SOOOO appropriate for this magnificent celevbration.

STUNNING!. When I first saw the mint green from a distance I thought "Oh I hope she is wearing some of her emeralds.....lets just say I'm not dissapointed!

I believe she is also wearing her bigger pearl and diamond earrings.

I'm thrilled the Queen wore the Cullinan III brooch today. It's truly one of the most magnificent pieces of jewelry in the world. And it makes a grand statement! ;)

The grandest of occasions to pull out "Granny's Chips." Absolutely memorable and thank you for wearing them, Your Majesty.

Last edited:
I was excited to see her wearing that brooch today. but she always seems to wear the Queen Mary button earrings. I myself would have chosen to wear the diamond stud earrings that were Queen Victoria's with that brooch.

C3 comes out so rarely. You don't realize how big they are until she is wearing them. She rarely wears the stomachers, but she does not have the height or bust to pull it off. QM could pull it off. Camillia might be able to also. She is pretty tall.

The Cullinans are truly amazing! But can someone please share the story of the Jardine star brooch Who was Lady Jardine? "The Queen's Diamonds" is not available in the states yet. Thanks!

The Cullinans are truly amazing! But can someone please share the story of the Jardine star brooch Who was Lady Jardine? "The Queen's Diamonds" is not available in the states yet. Thanks!
You can read the scarce information available about the Jardine Star Brooch here.

Lady Jardine was a Scottish aristocrat, a member of the old Clan Jardine of Scotland. She was most probably the wife of the Chief of the Clan.
There doesn't appear to be any other information on her, or reference to her friendship with the Queen. It is possible she just left a piece of jewellery to the Monarch and was not necessarily necessarily an acquaintance of her. I guess it's similar to Dame Margaret Grenville leaving all her jewels to the Queen Mother (it has to be said that although Mrs Grenville had been a close friend of Queen Mary).

Last edited:
Wonderful that the Queen wore the Cullinan III brooch today- it makes the grand statement- as if there was any doubt- I am your Queen!

Last edited:
Im so glad she wore the Cullinan III brooch! It's magnificent!

You can read the scarce information about the Jardine Star Brooch here.
Lady Jardine was a Scottish aristocrat, a member of the old Clan Jardine of Scotland. She was most probably the wife of the Chief of the Clan.

There doesn't appear to be any other information on her, or reference to her friendship with the Queen. It is possible she just left a piece of jewellery to the Monarch and was not necessarily necessarily an acquaintance of her. I guess it's similar to Dame Margaret Grenville leaving all her jewels to the Queen Mother (it has to be said that although Mrs Grenville had been a close friend of Queen Mary).

Thanks so much for your response!

Wonderful that the Queen wore the Cullinan III brooch today- it makes the grand statement- as if there was any doubt- I am your Queen!

I had read about the brooch but never saw the Queen wearing it until yesterday. Oh my goodness that thing is huge. The historical photographs just don't give you an idea, probably because the royal ladies wearing it are so layden with other jewels in those pictures.
It is amazing....doesn't even look real!

Does somebody know what this brooch is? I don't remember seeing it before.

I had read about the brooch but never saw the Queen wearing it until yesterday. Oh my goodness that thing is huge. The historical photographs just don't give you an idea, probably because the royal ladies wearing it are so layden with other jewels in those pictures.
It is amazing....doesn't even look real!

Have a look at this picture of Queen Mary wearing Cullinans - not just III and IV, mind you. Granny's chips (on her neck, right below the necklaces) may be quite huge, but they are dwarfed by I and II (worn as brooches on the sash).

Does somebody know what this brooch is? I don't remember seeing it before.
I'm not sure but that could to be Cartier Floral Spray Brooch.
A slightly better picture.

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• article-2155448-137B29C6000005DC-237_634x528.jpg
    article-2155448-137B29C6000005DC-237_634x528.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
That's really pretty, but for me nothing surpasses the Kent amethyst brooch. It's absolutely magnificent with that sunray diamond pattern and the deep color of that stone.

That's really pretty, but for me nothing surpasses the Kent amethyst brooch. It's absolutely magnificent with that sunray diamond pattern and the deep color of that stone.
I love that brooch.
The other Kent brooch (she's got three of them) - part of the Kent Demi-Parure - is gorgeous too.
The Queen is seen wearing some of the parure in this picture, although it doesn't really do the jewels any justice.

:previous:That's a beauty, too, and must be stunning in closeup. I have such a weakness for amethysts and sapphires.

Thank you, Artemisia, for answering my question. It is not on my list of favorites, but I have to agree with Baroness re the Kent amethyst brooch. Now that one is a stunner!!

For me, Her Majesty wearing this particular brooch is a dream come true; I'm a jewelaholic (a made up term, but one that described my addition pretty well).
Here is a very clear picture of the brooch, the best I have to this date.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you, Artemisia! A jewelaholic... Perfect description and my most favorite of all stones is the diamond. This brooch is just beyond description and it takes my breath away seeing it worn on HM...

That brooch is beautiful too. You never see her with her hand over the brooch checking to make sure it's still there....but that's what I would be doing. Would like to see the clasp on the back of these priceless jewels.

That brooch is beautiful too. You never see her with her hand over the brooch checking to make sure it's still there....but that's what I would be doing. Would like to see the clasp on the back of these priceless jewels.

The clasps seem quite ordinary of you look in books like the new one on the Queen's Diamonds where they show some of the backs. Obviously they are well maintained to make sure the fastenings are in top condition. I've never heard of any problem with a brooch, nor seen anything to indicate one either.

Can you imagine? I am always reaching when I wear a brooch to make sure its there. Of course I don't have someone always checking the clasp to make sure they are perfect. I would take that job....of course I would have to lock the door so I could try them on for a bit!!

Can you imagine? I am always reaching when I wear a brooch to make sure its there. Of course I don't have someone always checking the clasp to make sure they are perfect. I would take that job....of course I would have to lock the door so I could try them on for a bit!!

I'll come along & help ;-) .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom