Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 5: Jan 2015 - Jan 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary looks wonderful,I'm just not crazy about that tiara and earring set. Love the Rubies!

Crown Princess Mary jewels were stunning in Japan but I'd like to have a different tiara.

Crown Princess Mary's tiara appearances of 2019:

1 2

The more I see the Crown Princess wear this tiara set the more I like it. It was an inspired choice by her to purchase this ruby and diamond set.

Last edited:
Am I imagining it or is the new tiara looking a little more substantial than when it first appeared.

I am really interested in getting a really good shot of the earrings she is wearing with it. Are they also a relatively new acquisition?

I think that the tiara is unchanged, but she has worn it more upright this year. I'm really a fan of this tiara and I think that the shape and design fit Mary's face and her style perfectly. Yet I was a bit disappointed that she didn't wear the other ruby parure for the New Year's gala.

The tiaqra is beautiful but i hope she will also wear her other tiara's again. When was the last time she has worn her Wedding tiara? Mut be some years already.

The tiaqra is beautiful but i hope she will also wear her other tiara's again. When was the last time she has worn her Wedding tiara? Mut be some years already.
No, it's just been about one year. Mary wore her wedding tiara in October 2018 at gala event for the parliament and official Denmark. But before that she hasn't worn it till the wedding of Prince Carl Philip.

Let's hope that she alternates her tiaras more often in the future. I'd also like to see the midnight tiara again. Maybe Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday offers an opportunity with several tiara events in a row.

I'd like to see the Crown Princess wearing her diamond wedding tiara again,its been too long since we say it last.

I am really interested in getting a really good shot of the earrings she is wearing with it. Are they also a relatively new acquisition?

It is my understanding that Mary had the earrings commissioned after she bought the tiara, probably in 2017.

:previous: Yes, she commissioned the earrings made a few years ago to match the tiara. Close up photos you can see the design looks like they were made to go together. Private commission.

She did purchase earrings with the tiara. Her first appearance wearing it, well as a necklace, she wore drop earrings. They were bought at the same auction as the tiara was.

Crown Princess Mary's tiara appearances of 2019:

1 2

The more I see the Crown Princess wear this tiara set the more I like it. It was an inspired choice by her to purchase this ruby and diamond set.
Isn't it amazing that (perhaps a dowager whispered in her ear) Mary was inspired to go against the more common tiara usage of setting her tiara further back and quite low to the head. In these photos her tiara looks like it is almost set at a 45-degree angle and a little more forward, thus allowing a lot more light to refract off both the rubies and the diamonds.

Really, really, good call. It looks a lot more impressive, almost regal set this way.

You are correct. You have a very sharp eye. I received the book about the ruby parure for Christmas this year and there is a chapter about the tiara being altered again in 2017. They have have made some changes that revert back towards the Queen Ingrid design.

You are correct. You have a very sharp eye. I received the book about the ruby parure for Christmas this year and there is a chapter about the tiara being altered again in 2017. They have have made some changes that revert back towards the Queen Ingrid design.

Oh good! It wasn't my imagination! :flowers:

I haven't seen her wear this tiara in a while - she's favoured her other ruby one

It is sad she changed Queen Ingrid's original tiara ! It is not hers but her husband.

I'm really bored with the Ruby tiara its been overused by the Crown Princess and not one of my favourites.

I am convinced that her husband was ok with the changes, as was the Queen. And I find the current version quite successful for CP Mary.

And let's not forget that Queen Ingrid herself changed the tiara to suit her better. In fact, the original version of this jewel was a set of leaf and berry elements to be worn as brooches or arranged in the hair. They were assemble to a wreath-like tiara for Queen Alexandrine and later changed by Queen Ingrid.

I'm really bored with the Ruby tiara its been overused by the Crown Princess and not one of my favourites.

You make a valid point, Mary has used the parure at lot over the last 15 years. And even though she has been quite inventive in the way she has altered the parure and uses it, the limitations in her jewellery collection means elements of the parure are used often.

The problem lies in that 6 tiaras have left the main DRF line in the last 50 odd years (2 each to Benedikte and Anne-Marie, 1 to each of Joachim's wives), with only a few lacklustre additions: Mary's wedding tiara and the Edwardian tiara she bought recently at auction. I exclude the tiara's on loan to Mary and Marie.

I can only hope that Mary can secure the return of some of these historical jewels to the main line at the appropriate time. For example, I hope to see the sapphire and diamond tiara used by Princess Elizabeth on Mary at some stage. The tiara was not included in the items from her estate that were auctioned recently, so there is hope. Similarly but somewhat controversially, if the 2 tiara's of Danish origin could be returned to the DRF after Anne-Marie's death, the Danish vaults would start to look less sparse. The Greek RF would need to be compensated financially, and possibly it be agreed that the Greek's could borrow them when appropriate.

Last edited:
It is sad she changed Queen Ingrid's original tiara! It is not hers but her husband.

No, it's not sad. The parure doesn't belong to Frederik. Queen Ingrid left it to him in her will to be given to his future wife. That's Mary. So, it's her parure. One day, it'll be given to Christian's wife, and she can change it to suit her. Besides, Queen Ingrid herself altered it from its original design, so there's nothing saying Mary can't do the same. She has to wear it, so it should be made to not only look good on her head but be comfortable. I can't imagine it's light.

Last edited:
I remember hearing Mary say on a documentary on royal jewels that her mother in law supported her redesign since she herself (Margrethe) was quite artistic and experimental with her own jewelry. No controversy here. Move along ...

You make a valid point, Mary has used the parure at lot over the last 15 years. And even though she has been quite inventive in the way she has altered the parure and uses it, the limitations in her jewellery collection means elements of the parure are used often.

The problem lies in that 6 tiaras have left the main DRF line in the last 50 odd years (2 each to Benedikte and Anne-Marie, 1 to each of Joachim's wives), with only a few lacklustre additions: Mary's wedding tiara and the Edwardian tiara she bought recently at auction. I exclude the tiara's on loan to Mary and Marie.

I can only hope that Mary can secure the return of some of these historical jewels to the main line at the appropriate time. For example, I hope to see the sapphire and diamond tiara used by Princess Elizabeth on Mary at some stage. The tiara was not included in the items from her estate that were auctioned recently, so there is hope. Similarly but somewhat controversially, if the 2 tiara's of Danish origin could be returned to the DRF after Anne-Marie's death, the Danish vaults would start to look less sparse. The Greek RF would need to be compensated financially, and possibly it be agreed that the Greek's could borrow them when appropriate.

The Greek RF appears to be good at securing marriages with wealthy heirs/heiresses. I don’t see Anne-Marie’s children in a dire financial situation that would force them to sell their mother’’s jewels. And I don’t see them doing it on their own will either just to benefit their Danish cousins.

Maybe Pavlos, unlike his parents, has actually given up on any hope of restoration of the Greek monarchy, but,as long as that remains a goal, he has an added incentive to hold on to the family’s heirlooms. Besides, the Greeks are still invited to quite a lot of white-tie events, so they need a tiara collection. That may change when Constantine and Anne—Marie are gone, but we have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Y

Actually 2 where only created for them by Queen Ingrid as the antique corsage tiara which belongs now to Queen Anne-marie and the floral tiara of Pricness Benedikte where not tiara orginally.

And even more tiaras have elft the main line like the fringe tiara which was was inherited by Prince Knud after the death of Queen Alexandrine and the sapphire tiara which as sold by the Rosenborg Coutnesses last year.
Another addition to it was the big floral wreatrh/airgrette tiara which was aquired by King Frederik IX.

And even the tiaras which are still in the main line are not shared

let's face it - once CP Mary will become Queen (hopefully a long time in the future) she will have access to all the tiaras HM is currently using. That will broaden her choices immediately. Issue will be - she has 2 daughters who will need some sort of starter tiara. Her own wedding tiara would be one, but I could imagine that they will aquire one for Isabella, once she is coming in the age to attend representation events.

I loved Queen Ingrid’s version as well, the original “band” type of tiara I thought was lovely. Since it’s made in the style of bejeweled ivy leaves and rubies berries/buds, Queen Ingrid’s version made it look more whimsical and fairytale like; as though someone was wearing an actual garland around their head. Mary’s version is fine, but it looks just like a regular tiara now. Hopefully the piece is interchangeable so it can go back to the original form if Prince Christian’s wife chooses to do so in the future.

I don't think Benedikte or Anne Maries children will have need to sell the tiaras. I would think if they choose to, they'd give first option back to the family.

But then again there doesn't seem any rush to add new tiaras, even with link to the family, to the vaults. Two tiaras of family history have gone auction in the last two years and neither were purchased by the family. There was the tiara last owned by Prince Axel's estate. And a sapphire tiara that was a wedding gift to queen alexandrine from Czar Nicholas II. Either could have been lovely additions to the main line again with family history but we're not bought.

New tiaras could easily be bought from auction or turned from necklaces in the future if they feel the need. Unlike the Belgians, they aren't desperately low.

It would be nice if countess Alexandra returned hers back to the main line.

As for the ruby I highly doubt Mary altered it with the full approval of her husband and likely mother in law. And it doesn't seem a change that couldn't be undone if the future users chose to.

Back
Top Bottom