Countess of Wessex Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:)She's wears hers wedding tiara:)
pic1
pic2
you can see close up of the jewellery on post #292

Last edited:
I had not noticed the jewellery on the hat she wore in Monaco, it's beautiful. I love the brooch she wore with the dress too. I have fallen in love with that entire outfit and now want to own the dress and hat, even if I am 25 odd years younger than her! I reckon it's an outfit someone young could pull off! It was just beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Totally agree with you , Molly :cheers: ;)

I really like the tiara with the large aquamarine stone. I would like to see her with another tiara that suits her and have her wedding tiara returned to the Royal Vault. I just don't like those three jeweled triangles standing on a wire frame.

Sophie needs more tiaras!

I really like the tiara with the large aquamarine stone. I would like to see her with another tiara that suits her and have her wedding tiara returned to the Royal Vault. I just don't like those three jeweled triangles standing on a wire frame.

What does that tiara look like?

Thank you so much. What a lovely piece of jewelry.

Very good blog, but not a very good tiara. Sigh. I wish the queen would lend her another royal tiara, but there seems no hope.

I much prefer the aquamarine convertible tiara/necklace. It looks beautiful with Sophie's skin and eyes and sits better on her head. No matter how much Sophie tries to hide the wire frame on the wedding tiara, it always looks like three jeweled triangles stuck on a wire.:ermm:

Sophie's wedding tiara always looks like she has antlers!
My favorite of hers is the aquamarine tiara/neklace!

No matter how much Sophie tries to hide the wire frame on the wedding tiara, it always looks like three jeweled triangles stuck on a wire.:ermm:

Which is what it really is!

Perhaps she can put a row of pearls on the base of the tiara, just as Princess Mary of Denmark has done, to cover the wire and give the tiara some additional height.

Very good blog, but not a very good tiara. Sigh. I wish the queen would lend her another royal tiara, but there seems no hope.

I have to agree on this one. With all the tiaras and jewels in the Windsor vault, one would think that the wedding tiara would either be replaced or remodelled to form a more elegant and fashionable piece. The tiara with the large aquamarine in the centre does of course look much better on Sophie.

I really did love her wedding tiara.Very simple.I bet she spared herself a headache if she wore a bigger tiara on her wedding day!

I quite like Sophie's wedding tiara, but the aquamarine one is definitely beautiful. The diamonds on her wedding diara are stunning but it could be set different, though I am not sure how that could be achieved, or if it even could be. It looks better now that she can wear her hair up with it as opposed to her shorter hair.

I too wish Sophie could wear other tiaras but she is the wife of the youngest son of a Monarch, I don't imagine she'll get much more. I find that annoying though as she is the senior female who the Queen sends to represent her at so many occasions, you'd think one would provide her daughter-in-law with something beautiful. Meh. We just have to make do, as does Sophie, which I think she does beautifully. She's a beautiful woman, she doesn't need diamonds to look better!

I was just wondering, does Sophie own her wedding tiara? Or is it just borrowed? If she owns it does it mean Louise will receive it? I am a bit jealous of Louise as she'll likely inherit Sophie's engagement ring which is to die for.

Perhaps Sophie's personal jewelry--such as her engagement ring, the necklace and earrings she wore on her wedding day, etc.--will go to James for his future wife's use.

Soes anybody know anything about the brooch Sophie wore on her coat for Rememberance Sunday?

:previous: I haven't seen it close-up, but I assume that it's a brooch from one of her regiments.

From the London Daily Mail, 7 January 2012

New Jewellery for Sophie from the Royal Family of Bahrain

The Countess of Wessex received two "lavish" sets of jewels (believed to be suites) from the Royal Family of Bahrain four days before Christmas. She and the Earl of Wessex made a one day official stopover on behalf of the Queen following a visit to British troops in Afghanistan.

One set of jewels came from King Hamad, the other from the prime minister, Sheikh Khalifa bin Salman al Khalifa.
Sophie also received an "exquisite" silver and pearl cup from Crown Prince Salman.

Apart from confirming the existence of the jewels, Buckingham Palace would not reveal any details.

It would be fair to assume that the sets are of superior quality. Bahrain is known for its pearls.

Last edited:
And any suite of jewelery from Middle Eastern countries is sure to be impressive.

:previous:
That is true. To give proper gifts is very important.

Last edited:
I was just wondering, does Sophie own her wedding tiara? Or is it just borrowed? If she owns it does it mean Louise will receive it? I am a bit jealous of Louise as she'll likely inherit Sophie's engagement ring which is to die for.
As to whether or not Sophie owns her wedding tiara, I don't think we can do more than speculate, based on what we do know already. As a general principle, the recent trend seems to be that any jewels from the Queen's personal [private] collection seem to be 'loaned out' to the female royal concerned. There seem to be two forms of loan - First, the 'temporary' loan: the most recent example was the Canadian Maple Leaf diamond brooch that Catherine wore in Canada on the recent royal tour. Everything I read in the quality papers stated that the brooch was loaned and not given. Even Diana, with a huge collection of her own, sometimes borrowed pieces temporarily from the Queen. Other loans seem to be much more long-term; again, using Princess Diana as an example, some of the pieces she was given were gifts from the Queen, but the unwritten subtext was that they were life-time loans. This would have prevented Diana selling them at any time of her life [pre-divorce or not]. I expect the reason for this was two fold: to prevent the disposition of pieces which the Queen herself regards not so much as her own personal property but which she herself 'holds in unwritten trust' for her family and also to avoid any liability for taxation ever arising. Whilst the Sovereign is exempt from all forms of taxation [at least thoretically, because the Queen's current decision to pay income tax is a voluntary one, not a legal one] her family are not, and if the Queen gives [outright] a gift of jewellery to anyone, the recipient would have to pay tax on the gift on receipt and the gift would then form part of the royal's estate on death, and therefore liable to inheritance tax. By never parting with so-called 'beneficial ownership' of pieces, the Queen in effect operates as a 'tax shelter'.

One has to say as well that with the recent divorce history of the BRF, if a piece is never 'gifted outright' to the particular royal, there is never any question of it being 'lost' to the BRF on any divorce of the recipient.

Incidentally, the recent gifts to Sophie that have just hit the papers this weekend will more properly be regarded as 'permanently loaned gifts to Sophie' with the understanding that they will revert to the Sovereign in due course in order to avoid tax liabilities. I am able to state this because a few years ago, Camilla was seen wearing a magnificent necklace which was a gift from one of Emirates and BP eventually clarified that it was in the nature of a permanant loan' rather than a [tax attracting] personal gift to the Duchess of Cornwall.

Finally to Sophie: her wedding tiara was, if I understand it, 'composed of other pieces' rather than being an existing complete tiara. We don't of course know whether it was gifted outright. Because of its [relative] umimportance from a royal perspective, it might have been an outright gift - after all, Sarah when she married Andrew received the outright gift of a tiara from the Queen. It was not of course a 'complete' piece with a royal provenance, but all the same, since I regard the Queen as always striving to be fair, it is possible that she might have thought that Sophie deserved outright ownership of the tiara - unless of course the Queen regards it as still having royal provenance despite its 'created nature'.

I am sorry this is so long, but hope that it helps,

Alex

did the frame of her wedding tiara change
it lloked golden at her wedding but is more grey/steel colour at least since the wedding in denmark 2004
see this at the first page in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom