Queen Margrethe's 75th Birthday Celebrations: April 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I don't understand Danish could somebody translate what QM exactly said to the journalist? She was smiling but there was some astonished background murmur by the other journalists. Just curious.

She said: "I don't want to be prudish, but we didn't go to school together, so I don't think we are dus (on informal terms)".

She later on elaborated that "an old wife" like her is used to and prefer a certain way to be on terms with people.

We can always debate whether she should have been more elegant, like including a formal you in her reply to the journalist. But why should she? She's the Queen, she's 75 and people know perfectly well that it's formal you, when you address her. All the other journalists present could remember that. I mean, it isn't rocket science.
In this way she made it clear that this is where the line is! And the journalist learned the hard way.
It would be like addressing President Obama as Barack, three times, at a press conference in the White House, and then say: "Oh, I was nervous". Yeah, and you've just got foot print in your behind.

Not adhering to basic etiquette or the custom in a particular country or culture is bad manners. It can be excused with ignorance or nervousness, fair enough.
But he had his time to be prepared. And as a journalist, especially for a news agency he is expected to address and interview all sorts of people, so that was unprofessional of him. - Not saying sorry didn't help...
However, if you read the BT article he is quoted for saying "I haven't got anything particular against the DRF". I.e. (IMO) it's not that important to him, and apparantly not important enough for him wire his head and behind together. That is unprofessional and unprofessionalism is not a trait I admire. - It costs.

Nerves can strike you regardless of how prepared you come. That goes for journalists as well as for you and I. The lack of apology can be explained by nerves, too. Perhaps he just wanted to get it over with after being publicly called out by QMII?

As for the informal address not being important to him, objectively speaking, you can't know that. I didn't read it like that, I read it as a "I was not trying to be disrespectful, I haven't got anything against the DRF so I have not reason to be disrespectful towards QMII".

We can all agree that it was unfortunate but come on, he wasn't being intentionally impertinent in any way. Is that unprofessionalism? I don't know. I'd call it a rookie mistake that he most definitely won't make again.

She said: "I don't want to be prudish, but we didn't go to school together, so I don't think we are dus (on informal terms)".

She later on elaborated that "an old wife" like her is used to and prefer a certain way to be on terms with people.

We can always debate whether she should have been more elegant, like including a formal you in her reply to the journalist. But why should she? She's the Queen, she's 75 and people know perfectly well that it's formal you, when you address her. All the other journalists present could remember that. I mean, it isn't rocket science.
In this way she made it clear that this is where the line is! And the journalist learned the hard way.
It would be like addressing President Obama as Barack, three times, at a press conference in the White House, and then say: "Oh, I was nervous". Yeah, and you've just got foot print in your behind.

Thank you, Muhler, for confirming what the Queen said - I saw the video but it is nice for non-Danes like me to have the full picture!

I think that the Queen did exactly the right thing by lightheartedly reprimanding the journalist and insisting on the formal etiquette. If she hadn't done so, others might have taken it as "oh, we can get away with being informal". Standards at every opportunity should be maintained.
I have thought along these lines ever since a former British prime-minister insisted people call him by the shortened version of his first name, rather than Mr Blair!

Nerves can strike you regardless of how prepared you come. That goes for journalists as well as for you and I. The lack of apology can be explained by nerves, too. Perhaps he just wanted to get it over with after being publicly called out by QMII?

As for the informal address not being important to him, objectively speaking, you can't know that. I didn't read it like that, I read it as a "I was not trying to be disrespectful, I haven't got anything against the DRF so I have not reason to be disrespectful towards QMII".

We can all agree that it was unfortunate but come on, he wasn't being intentionally impertinent in any way. Is that unprofessionalism? I don't know. I'd call it a rookie mistake that he most definitely won't make again.

Objectively speaking nor can you.
I will hardly call him a rookie.
He's been a journalists apprentice for four years, then a fully fledged journalist for a year.
He's working at a respectable news agency, not the local paper in Mudville. He must have interviewed people before or at least talked to people on the phone. So it can't have been the first time he has had to adhere to a different etiquette.
It's not a looong title he has to memorize, it's one simple word he needs to get right.
Also, there is a history, especially among some younger journalists, to push the limit for using informal address towards the DRF, for various reasons.
And if I am to be perfectly honest, I suspect that to be more likely than "being nervous".
That M&F may accept informal you, it's their business, but they are not the Regent Couple.

Okay, I may be harsh, I may be demanding, conservative, unforgiving and pigheaded. So be it, but I know that etiquette matters and you can lose your job and other people's jobs as well if you can't figure out to follow it.

Last edited:
He used the formal you when he continued the question, that is he used the informal you once again, but corrected himself.
He has since explained to BT that he was nervous but that he didn't say sorry, because he thought it was better to continue with his question. (Another mistake IMO. If you do screw up at least say sorry, it doesn't hurt and it only takes two nano seconds).
However, he also said his mobile has been very active after the press conference...

thank you again Muhler! Obviously the young man learned his lesson and that should be the end of it; unless of course one of the mobile calls was from his editor .....:bang:

I really feel sorry for this poor journalists - jeez, he didn't run over a puppy, he made a mistake in addressing the Queen! And apparently it's gone viral all over Denmark. Don't the Danish have other things to concern themselves with tonight?

I really feel sorry for this poor journalists - jeez, he didn't run over a puppy, he made a mistake in addressing the Queen! And apparently it's gone viral all over Denmark. Don't the Danish have other things to concern themselves with tonight?

Doesn't seem like it.

Standards at every opportunity should be maintained.
I have thought along these lines ever since a former British prime-minister insisted people call him by the shortened version of his first name, rather than Mr Blair!

I certainly agree that standards should be maintained. I used to work in a department store where we had to wear name tags with our first name, and the first letter of our last name. So I had complete strangers calling me by my first name, which I didn't really care for. One of the district managers invited me to call him by his first name, and he had the same name as one of my sons. I told him I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, so he didn't make a thing out of it.

This seems to be one of those areas where Americans and Europeans think differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Being a grandmother is something completely different than being a mother. Because as a grandmother you don't have to worry about if they did well in school and whether they have remembered to greet people neatly. On the other hand, I'm twice as pleased when I see it, that they actually go and greet people properly. This is my grandchildren very good at, and it's lovely. It sounds like a small thing, but it's necessary that children in our family can do things like that. And I think they all masters that eventually. Some are more shy than others. I noticed that especially the two oldest did it really well when the Crown Prince family was on the Greenland trip recently, and there I was proud. A proud grandmother!"

The Greenland trip was special. Im glad the Queen was proud of her grand kids. they did so well!

Just my two cents on the formal/informal debate.
True its not the biggest issue in the world, but it is something that should be corrected when appropriate and especially if its part of your job.
In my line of work, we often correct students that address, professors/deans/presidents and vice presidents of departments by using their first names as if they were best friends or of similar age.
For me, when you go to a professional office, you should address the person in charge as Mr./ Dr. /Dean so and so . :flowers:

but back to the birthday girl,
I cant wait for the 15th to see all the foreign monarchs attend
and especially for the 16th to see all 8 grandkids and the DRF family. :flowers::flowers:

Okay, this conversation has gone back and forth long enough. If you wish to discuss the merits of formal vs informal language, please do so either via PM or open a thread about it in the Member's Corner.

Further posts on the matter will be removed at moderator discretion.

This woman is amazing! What. Charming way of correcting him and he should have known better. There is no excuse for him and he will receive probably more attention fron this than fron anything else in his life.

QMII has given another interview. This time in the radio to the respected foreign affairs correspondent, Steffen Gram.

And QMII has become more outspoken recently, while still retaining her diplomatic tact: Dronningen om Ukraine-konflikten: Man tænker jo på Europa i 30'erne | Nyheder | DR

QMII attended the Normandy-commemorations last year, while the Ukraine crisis was hot and she was seated next to President Putin.
How do a Queen handle such a situation?
"One says a few polite words because one is a well-behaved person. - You shouldn't after all show a too sharp, cold shoulder, because that is also an act (diplomatic act).
I'm afraid I happened to speak a great deal more with President Hollande".

The Ukraine crisis is of course something QMII has pondered: "When you see what happens, it is not impossible to think about what happened in Europe towards the end of the 1930's".

However the situation is different today. Europe is more united and there is NATO. So there is no need to be intimidated.
"We must be very clear that this is not where we play with fire. Here we must try and see things in a sober manner, but not let us be cowed. The last thing we must do is to be afraid".
(Unfortunately I can't do her complete justice in regards to the subtleties of the language she is using. Suffice to say that few foreign ministers could do better).

She also talks about the Danish participation in peacekeeping and wars in recent decades.
The way the Danes have accepted casualties impress her. (*)
"Now I certainly sound like an old aunt, but I hadn't really believed we would be so mature about it - that is that is you are involved in that sort of things, then not everyone will return alive. But that was done in a very grand manner. That I think".

She is proud of the soldiers: "There was a lot of respect about the effort put in from the Danish side. We weren't that many, but we could do what we were supposed to.
We owe them a lot of respect all the young people, who has been out. Both in Iraq and in Helmand. Those who flew to Libya and those who are flying now (F16's bombing ISIS in Iraq). That is really well done".

She also speaks about the increasing globalization, which is both challenging and a bit frightening at the same time, But she also says easy now, coll it, it ain't as bad as it's made up to be.

(*) In fact, in contrast to practically all other countries in the coalition the public support for the war in Afghanistan, or perhaps rather the support for the troops, has consistently been very high until very recently, despite DK having the highest fatality rate per capita among the coalition forces.
Something that was noted and wondered at abroad.

ADDED:

PH is today still down with flu.

Last edited:
Question - what is the difference between the gala dinner on the 15th and the gala dinner on the 16th?

IIUC the one on 15th is a state dinner with officials from Dk and abroad.

IIUC the one on 15th is a state dinner with officials from Dk and abroad.

The 15th is a dinner for "official Denmark" and the 16th is, I think,
a private dinner for family and friends.

Good question Duke. I was wondering the same thing. Do we know if we will get tiaras?

IIRC in 2010 both dinners (and the theatre evening) were tiara events.
I guess it will be the same this time.

Hoffet: Prinsgemalen kommer ikke til at deltage i de næste dages fejringer | Nyheder | DR

The court has announced that PH due to his flu, will not take part in the birthday celebrations.

Good question Duke. I was wondering the same thing. Do we know if we will get tiaras?

According to BB the first night at least will be a tiara event.
Can't find that article off hand, but it's online on the BB site somewhere.

Presumably the second night will also be a tiara event.

What a shame that Henrik will miss those special days due to illness!!!

Really a pity that Henrik can not attend. Wonder what that means for the carriage tour. Will the Queen be alone in the coach or will she perhaps joined by the Crown Princely Couple?

IIRC in 2010 both dinners (and the theatre evening) were tiara events.
I guess it will be the same this time.

Not only in 2010 but also for other Dinners (Prince Henrik's 70th birthday etc.) who where labelled as private. Usually the dress code then was black tie but with tiara optional for the ladies

Last edited by a moderator:
A shame PH is ill.

Color me jaded, but I can't shake the thought he is having another one of his little tantrums.

Oh what a pity that Prince Henrik will not be present to this wondrfull event.!

A shame about Henrik. It sort of reminds me of QEII's diamond jubilee when the DoE was hospitalised and had to miss out on the remaining events, you could see that it affected QEII and likewise, it must also be so sad for QMII to have to celebrate without Henrik.

It'll be interesting to see if Mary and Frederik will ride the carriage alongside QMII. Also the balcony issue, I doubt QMII will be all alone on the middle balcony – perhaps Mary, Frederik and the children will appear on the same balcony as QMII and then with Joachim, Marie and their children, and Benedikte, Anne-Marie and their husbands on the other two.

Or perhaps she will appear with her 2 sisters?

In 2010 the volcano in Iceland put a little damper on the celebrations, this year it will be Henrik's illness. I hope he isn't severely ill, so Margrethe has to worry about him.

Another and better look at the new portrait the National Museum has made of Margrethe, the archeologist. It sure is different, but not bad. It's for once a painting I could imagine having on the wall.
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/576/8/8576098-dronning-margrethe.jpg

ADDED; A video of the unveiling from BB: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...nning-margrethe-afsloere-sin-foedselsdagsgave
Poor flowergirl! Even though the leaves are beginning to emerge it's still not that warm.

The media today speculate about how serious PH's illness is. Considering that flu does kill quite a few elderly each year, the speculations are perhaps justified.
I don't believe QMII is particularly concerned though. The mood and body language of QMII during the press meeting didn't suggest to me that QMII was worried.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom