The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 2: June-September 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is sad but the fact is camilla married into the royal family and privacy is not something she has now. Even in this great time of loss to her family.

I think Camilla knew it wouldn't be completely private. But at least the media didn't go overboard and make it into a circus. I think it was handled okay.

I also think the people are happy there was some coverage, I think a lot of people care about her and were happy to see it was covered, but covered in a more dignified manner.

I was happy to see the family pull together in this sad time. It shows they are indeed a family.

Actually this coverage of the whole funeral has been so mean spirited i am ashamed to say.I mean camilla's father died and instead people are saying such nasty things such as how low cut camilla's clothes were or how low cut laura's clothes and trying to figure out the body language of charles and camilla and saying things that charles didn't attend earl spencer's funeral so why did he attend major shand's ?? I read quite a few british papers online and even some other royalty websites and the comments that were posted are so harsh and cruel i cannot believe that even a funeral is a source of great delight among some people who frankly feel that diana is a saint hence her exhusband should never be happy.Sorry for being so honest but the comments made me realise that empathy for others is definitely in short supply when it comes to charles and camilla.I understand if people dislike them that is their opinion but to make vicious comments like this at a time like this just reflects the poor state of the world i think.All i can say is that thank god people in public life need to have a thick skin because i definitely couldn't take it!!!

shaan said:
I understand if people dislike them that is their opinion but to make vicious comments like this at a time like this just reflects the poor state of the world i think.

It just shows the character of the people making the nasty comments. I was disappointed to see how many sites dedicated to Charles and Camilla posted dozens of the pictures, knowing that she wanted a private funeral.

I would imagine all Camilla wanted was Charles' arm around her but, she was even denied that by the knowledge that lurking in the undergrowth, there would have been photographers.

WindsorIII, If 'people' really cared about her, they would have left her alone, as she requested!

chrissy57 said:
I don't think that they could ever have expected complete privacy as the funeral did take place in a public church - had it taken place in a private chapel then yes they could have got total privacy.

There are very few private chapels, except on large country estates. It is normal to hold the service within the local parish, to have to travel elsewhere would have, IMO, been even more distressing for ALL the family and should be unacceptable to everyone. All it would have taken was a little decency, that seems to be sadly lacking!

It wasn't just Camilla who was affected by this intrusion!

Sadly, the coverage of the Countess of Wessex at her mother's funeral was similar and equally as intrusive.

Part of my problem with the funeral was what Shaan and Skydragon were saying about all the nasty comments made and also some of the pictures that were taken ie. the one of Laura crying with her husbands arm around her to me, it was too intrusive. Although from what Chrissy was saying maybe this is the press's version of being well behaved.
Does anyone remember Camilla's mother's funeral? I heard that was bad. Was this one better or worse then her mother's?

We could ask the administrators of these royal web sites to no allow any threads about funerals. As long as we look at the photos and continue to post comments we are no different from anyone else interested in these events.

grevinnan said:
We could ask the administrators of these royal web sites to no allow any threads about funerals. As long as we look at the photos and continue to post comments we are no different from anyone else interested in these events.

I would prefer that sort of censorship not be imposed. No-one has to look at the photos, or comment, if to do so makes them feel uncomfortable.

Camilla married the heir to the throne, and, IMO, one consequence of that fact is an increased public interest, and hence media interest, in her family.

Funerals are an integral part of the cycle of life. Opinions will vary, of course, but I don't think the photos we've seen have been offensively intrusive. They could have been far worse, and while I can envisage a situation where I would agree that certain photos should not be published, I don't feel that way about the ones we've seen.

grevinnan said:

you would give Duchess of Cornwall's break and she still in mourning but im sure the member of Royal forums can allowed see pictures at her father's funeral but she is wives of Prince Charles and she is married to heir to the throne like Princess Diana DID because Diana is first married to Prince Charles and heir to the throne in 1981 and Diana still in mourning death of her dad in 1992.

you cant blame to closed the pictures at funeral but we still comments about Camilla's dad's funeral but i do still comment about Camilla and her kids,family also please dues her respectives.

Roslyn said:
Camilla married the heir to the throne, and, IMO, one consequence of that fact is an increased public interest, and hence media interest, in her family.

I don't think the photos we've seen have been offensively intrusive. They could have been far worse, and while I can envisage a situation where I would agree that certain photos should not be published, I don't feel that way about the ones we've seen.

No wonder Camilla didn't want to become a member of the royal family, she probably realised that was going to be people's attitude to every aspect of her relative's, her friends and her life.

It seems no lessons have been learned from what happen to Diana with the intrusion of the press, encouraged by the public clamour for pictures.

The fact is that this was not a public engagement, it was a private event, the next thing we know it will be deemed acceptable to photograph people, (with telephoto lenses), using the loo (toilet, w.c. john)!

Last edited:
This was a private event at a public place with many public figures there. It is impossible for it to remain completely private at a public place with so many public figures. Though it seems the media was kind. They did not turn it into a circus and kept their distance. I beleive the media did no wrong. I dont understand this huge fuss.

Its great to see the bond between this family. They are, as others have mentioned, the ideal modern family. Major Shand has the most intresting life story. His whole family does. Its filled with irony, romance, and star-crossed fates. Its straight out of novels and movies. I also love Camillas hat. Not to many people wear netting with their hats and it looks great and appropriate. Very lady like. I feel for the whole family and Im happy they have such great support.

It would have had to be in a completely private place for a private funeral.

It looks like the media kept a respectful distance; as far as the nasty comments about Camilla and her family - that is in incredibly bad taste and I haven't seen that here.

For the most part, members here have been very respectful which is a very appropriate reaction to a funeral.

I agree with Roslyn; funerals are a milestone in life. There's no need to avoid them.

Is there an official mourning period for Camilla?

Incas said:
Is there an official mourning period for Camilla?

She was back at work yesterday but, I think she will grieve for a long time, the loss of her beloved father.

This week's point de vue features Camilla's attendance at her father's funeral
images from pointdevue.fr
pdvcouv397089tc.jpg
pdvcouv709784km.jpg

Now that is a bit intrusive. Publishing pictures of Camilla in mourning for all the world to see! It also seems very disrespectful to me but I guess magazines only have their own interests in mind.

I´ve no words. But I think the new issues of rainbow press tomorrow will show likely photos. I won´t have a look...

Skydragon said:
Camilla must 'pull finger out'
trans.gif
The Duchess of Cornwall should "really pull her finger out and do a bit more next year", a former royal aide warned today.
I think 230 engagements in the first year with The Firm is pretty jolly good! It's not fair to compare her tally with that of people who were born to it or have been doing it for years. Seems she did more than Sophie anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roslyn said:
I think 230 engagements in the first year with The Firm is pretty jolly good! It's not fair to compare her tally with that of people who were born to it or have been doing it for years. Seems she did more than Sophie anyway.

That's what I though when I first read the article. Only one year - and 230! engagements! Camilla is doing a great job, imo. If her first year is this productive, the rest are bound to be even better.
Comparision with Sophie might be not quite right because Sophie is not the wife of Prince of Wales but the wife of the fourth child of the Queen.

I think one must read through the article and see who dickie arbiter is - he is one of the pro-diana people who will never find anything good to say about charles or camilla so frankly why we ought to listen to him i really have no idea.If you hear what he says then you will definitely want to switch off

Roslyn said:

i thought the same, my gosh thats ALOT. She's done a smashing job, always smiling, game for anything and has imo a special rapport with children, not to mention the glow charles has whenever he's near her. She's done the impossible- - - made me love her (never thought it would happen)
charles is being a good husband and is smart for covering his wife's expenses, keep it out of the paper and protect her, very smart.

Skydragon said:
Camilla must 'pull finger out'

trans.gif
The Duchess of Cornwall should "really pull her finger out and do a bit more next year", a former royal aide warned today.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2244082,00.html

I agree with you all, I also think that 230 official engagements is a lot. I'm especially pleased with seeing all the official tours and trips the Duchess and PoW have undertaken during their first year - those kind of activities must be quite hard and straining for a new royal, as they include a heavy time schedule every day, but Camilla pulled those out with great admiration.

I'm so glad that Camilla completed her first year of royal life so well.

Avalon said:
That's what I though when I first read the article. Only one year - and 230! engagements! Camilla is doing a great job, imo. If her first year is this productive, the rest are bound to be even better.

Plus one should give her a bit of space for upcoming causes she might wish to turn her attention or protection, too. If she took on everything that is offered or asked of her in her first year, only to get a full schedule, she would surely find that there is no free space left for her to get introduced to other worthy cases. IMHO she does it carefully and, when on a public duty, she gives all. And all that for just 2000 pounds!

Skydragon said:
New 'Camilla chic' collection unveiled

LONDON, June 26 (UPI) -- Just as Britain's Princess Diana was a fashion icon, apparently so goes Camilla, Prince Charles' second wife.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060626-042156-6699r

A quote from the mentioned article:

"The new collection is all bout luxury and opulence, even for day," Valentine told the Telegraph."

As a summary of the new "Camilla Chic"-collection it doesn't sound right to me. I'Ve followed the picture threads on this forum and while I agree that the duchess introduced her very own landmark of elegance and stylishness, I don't think she is turned out luxurious or even opulent in everyday life. That seems to imply for me that she is overdressed and shows off her new august position which she definately does not. IMHo she is perfect in dressing just right for the situation - she is well past the age when she must feed her own vanity by putting all others into her shade. Instead she is well-dressed as befitting her station but she always fits in with her environment. A true lady!

Hats off to Camilla! The last time I checked, the BRF consisted of more than the Queen, Princes Philip and Andrew, the Princess Royal, and Sophie. Were their engangements so few? Probably. She's doing a great job and I'm sure that she has the wisdom to do what's best for the people. IMO, she has done Britain proud her first year and will take the initiative to do more without a former aide telling her to do so.

Jo of Palatine said:
A quote from the mentioned article:

"The new collection is all bout luxury and opulence, even for day," Valentine told the Telegraph."

As a summary of the new "Camilla Chic"-collection it doesn't sound right to me. I'Ve followed the picture threads on this forum and while I agree that the duchess introduced her very own landmark of elegance and stylishness, I don't think she is turned out luxurious or even opulent in everyday life. That seems to imply for me that she is overdressed and shows off her new august position which she definately does not. IMHo she is perfect in dressing just right for the situation - she is well past the age when she must feed her own vanity by putting all others into her shade. Instead she is well-dressed as befitting her station but she always fits in with her environment. A true lady!

I quite agree!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom