Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 20: March-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I've really missed the Queen during the
last weeks.. :)

Here are some pics of the event today:

Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to the Queen's Royal Lancers
at Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire, where she will present
the Elizabeth Cross to the relatives of six soldiers killed on active
service, September 12, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

The Queen has presented the military honour that bears her name to the grieving families of six soldiers killed fighting overseas for Britain.
It was the first time she has personally presented the Elizabeth Cross, awarded to the next of kin of armed forces personnel who are killed in active service or as a result of terrorism. The cross is a mark of national recognition of their loss

Read more: Queen presents the Elizabeth Cross for the first time to families of soldiers killed fighting overseas | Mail Online

Queen enlists Antony Beevor to give Gordon Brown a history lesson - Telegraph

"The Queen's displeasure with Gordon Brown over the equipment shortages that our servicemen have been forced to endure in Afghanistan...appears to have led to a remarkable development during the Prime Minister's stay at Balmoral last weekend. I am told that the Queen invited Antony Beevor, the acclaimed military historian, to join Brown and his wife, Sarah, at her Scottish retreat.

The invitation for Beevor, a former officer with the 11th Hussars, and his wife, Artemis Cooper, who is the granddaughter of the actress Lady Diana Cooper, is fascinating. The weekend at Balmoral is the only occasion during the year at which the Prime Minister stays with the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, and it is said to be "highly unusual" for other house guests, apart from members of the Royal family, to join them."

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen was yesterday bitterly criticised by the family of a dead soldier – as they became the first to receive the new Elizabeth Cross from her.
Hours before meeting her at a private ceremony, the father of Trooper Robert Pearson accused the Queen of taking too long to acknowledge his son’s death in Afghanistan last April.
Paul Pearson said: ‘Robert signed and died for Queen and country and you don’t even get a letter from the Queen.’

The Queen was yesterday bitterly criticised by the family of a dead soldier – as they became the first to receive the new Elizabeth Cross from her.
Hours before meeting her at a private ceremony, the father of Trooper Robert Pearson accused the Queen of taking too long to acknowledge his son’s death in Afghanistan last April.
Paul Pearson said: ‘Robert signed and died for Queen and country and you don’t even get a letter from the Queen.’

That's rather harsh. What if HM didn't know??

That's rather harsh. What if HM didn't know??

As every British death has been announced by name in the press, and even here in Australia we can find out (simply by watching Sky News UK) I would be extremely surprised if the Queen didn't know as that means that she doesn't watch the news or read the newspapers (and we are regularly informed that she reads the papers every morning - even if she does start at the racing guide).

That being said I don't think she has ever sent a letter of condolence in these circumstances. She would be following the example of her ancestors who also didn't send individual, or even form letters, to every soldier who died for 'King and Country' during their reigns.

From Queen and Country, by William Shawcross:

In 1971 the first British soldier was killed in Northern Ireland. Martin Charteris, the Queen's Private Secretary, suggested that she send the soldier's family a letter of condolence. She declined, on the grounds that it might create a precedent that could not be sustained.

Last edited:
Those are beautiful pictures of the Queen she does look wonderful.
As to the letter, why would it create a precedent that couldn't be sustained? Time have changed? :)

As to the letter, why would it create a precedent that couldn't be sustained? Time have changed? :)
It's pretty simple: a conflict or war involving major casualties would lead to hundreds or even thousands of letters having to be sent. This would debase the Royal condolences to the status of mass-produced impersonal form letters churned out by a word processor or computer program.

It's pretty simple: a conflict or war involving major casualties would lead to hundreds or even thousands of letters having to be sent. This would debase the Royal condolences to the status of mass-produced impersonal form letters churned out by a word processor or computer program.

Quite right.

In the States, I believe that a general form letter is sent from the President of the US and a general (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong). It does come across as a form letter, but no one has ever complained about that (to my knowledge).

Nonetheless, I can see why it is not done in Britain. Most likely, the family of the soldier is in pain for the loss of their loved one and they are looking for some acknowledgement of their sacrifice.

You can't win either way. I see both points.

I think that's right, Zonk, but I think in some parts of the US the soldier's congressperson or senator also extends condolences on a more personal level, so that the soldiers' families are hearing from a representative in person.

Queen wants Wootton Bassett to get Royal status for its part in honouring war dead

It is a town that has become synonymous with honour, respect, and a deep appreciation for our armed forces.
Ever since two old soldiers gave an impromptu salute as a military cortege passed through in 2007, the town of Wootton Bassett has come to a standstill in silent tribute to the bravery and courage of our war dead.

Now the small Wiltshire market town could find itself being honoured - after the Queen asked Gordon Brown to consider granting it 'Royal' prefix in recognition of its role in the repatriation of British soldiers.
Retired naval officer Bill Thomas wrote to Her Majesty asking if she would consider renaming the town Royal Wootton Bassett to repay the town's patriotism.

The reply from Buckingham Palace reads: 'Her Majesty has taken careful note of your comments requesting official recognition for the village of Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire, in honour of the respect accorded to every fallen soldier, killed during their tour of duty in Afghanistan or Iraq, when their funeral cortege passes through the village from RAF Lyneham. As a constitutional Sovereign, the Queen acts on the advice of her Ministers and I have, therefore, been instructed to send your letter to the Right Honourable Gordon Brown MP, Prime Minister, so that he may know of your approach to Her Majesty on this matter, and may consider the points you raise.'

I think that's a very good idea.
Patriotism and respect for the armed forces are apparently well and alive in that small town, for (as the DM article mentions) every time a fallen soldier is flown home to the nearby RAF Lyneham, hundreds of residents, passersby join the friends and family of the dead to pay their respect.

Hopefully, Brown will see no objections to this plan, although I wish Her Majesty had the authority to grant the Royal prefix without the PM's approval.

Hopefully, Brown will see no objections to this plan, although I wish Her Majesty had the authority to grant the Royal prefix without the PM's approval.

And why is that?? :ermm:

That would be a lovely tribute to the town. The photos showing the crowds of people in Wootton Bassett paying their respects to the fallen soldiers are so moving.

That's a really awesome thing that the town, and visitors to the town, do to honor your fallen. They've fought and lost a most honorable, valiant battle. I hope your PM listens to his Queen!

Courtesy of Belga.:flowers:

Queen Elizabeth II studies one of the first copies of ' Queen Elizabeth the Queen mother, the official biography', in a living room at Birkhall the Scottish home of the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall (17/09/2009).:)

http://i31.tinypic.com/qode92.jpg

I don't like that picture, seems to composed for my liking. I would like to know whether she likes it or not. :lol:

And why is that?? :ermm:

Because I fail to see what the Prime Minister has to do with the “Royal” prefix: surely it would be a common sense to assume that Her Majesty has the power to grant distinguished towns, cities and villages the prefix upon her discretion, without consulting anyone else.

Skydragon said:
Not just residents, passers by, friends and family, there are also members of the regiments, old soldiers, and former colleagues. Many people travel down/up just to show their respect. :flowers:

Thanks for the information: it does sound like a town where people got their priorities right. :)

Last edited:
Because I fail to see what the Prime Minister has to do with the “Royal” prefix: surely it would be a common sense to assume that Her Majesty has the power to grant distinguished towns, cities and villages the prefix upon her discretion, without consulting anyone else.

The Queen has very few rights left to her and this is one that she no longer has. Like 99% of the rest of the things the Queen appears to be able to do she actually has to get the government's permission. She is a rubber stamp in reality and not much more.

The 'Queen's' honours for instance are actually the government's except for the Garter and a couple of others.

The 'Queen's' speech at the Opening of Parliament is the government's speech read by the Queen.

When she makes a speech to visiting Heads of State or when visiting the government has to approve the speech

and so on

and so on

That is what a constitutional monarch is - a figurehead with no real power - but a unifying figurehead and therefore useful.

I don't like that picture, seems to composed for my liking. I would like to know whether she likes it or not. :lol:

Oh! Lumutqueen, I love the photo. She looks just like a regular 'granny', wearing three sweaters to keep out the cold

I am a young man of 26 years old, and I have to confess I adore the latest photograph of Her Majesty The Queen. SHE IS ADORABLE!!! May God bless her.

...I would like to know whether she likes it or not. :lol:
To our eternal disappointment it's unlikely HM will be writing her review of the book for The Times Literary Supplement. If only... :)

Queen wants Wootton Bassett to get Royal status for its part in honouring war deadI think that's a very good idea.

Patriotism and respect for the armed forces are apparently well and alive in that small town, for (as the DM article mentions) every time a fallen soldier is flown home to the nearby RAF Lyneham, hundreds of residents, passersby join the friends and family of the dead to pay their respect.

On several occasions I have seen news footage of this on BBC or Sky International. It is heartbreaking to watch each hearse go by, but what really chokes me up is all those ordinary people who take time out of their busy lives and even make special trips there to ensure they are there to honour the fallen and stand and pay their silent respects.

As Gordon Brown is not exactly popular with the BRF, the Army or faimilies of those on the firing line on account of the incredible shortfall in every area of supplies to the fronts, I can only say that if he has half a brain or his PR team a gram of sense they would see this as a no-brainer.

The town deserves it! The NOK deserve it, and the Queen, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles and The Princess Royal want it!

As they have all been a right pain in his erm . . . neck on these issues, as gestures go, it could well go a small way to show he is aware of their pain.

It wouldn't cost much and it wouldn't hurt his ratings,

Last edited:
Pics 20.9.2009

Prince Phillip lays a wreath during a memorial service in
Nijmegen September 20, 2009. The event was held to
commemorate the 65th anniversary of Operation Market
Garden during World War Two.
Pic 3 includes Queen Beatrix.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

:previous:
Thank you very much for the pictures, iceflower! :flowers:
The British and Dutch Royal Families (at least the older generation) appear to have very close relationship: I remember the informal hug Queen Beatrix greeted Queen Elizabeth with during the last official visit of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip to the Netherlands. :)
The town deserves it! The NOK deserve it, and the Queen, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles and The Princess Royal want it!
I agree with you, MARG: there is absolutely no harm that can be done by granting the town the Royal prefix, and it would be a nice way of acknowledging all those wonderful people, who deem it their duty to pay the final respect to the bravest and noblest of all - the soldiers.

The Military Cross hero killed by the Taliban after returning to front line

In the face of withering fire from the Taliban 15 yards away, he repeatedly risked his life to come to the aid of his comrades.

So immense was Sergeant Michael Lockett's courage - in a terrifying battle dubbed 'Operation Certain Death' - that last year he was presented with the Military Cross by the Queen.

But now the 29-year-old has paid the ultimate price for his bravery.
The father-of-three had been only days from completing his six-month mission in Afghanistan and coming home when he was killed by a hidden bomb.

Rest In Peace, Sergeant. :sad:

Oh how awful, thats the worse kind of story. :sad::sad:
I remember seeing pictures I believe of him recieveing the cross.
Rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom