Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 20: March-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police keep details about gifts from the Queen secret... because it might help extremists

For years, the Queen has rewarded the police officers who guard her Sandringham estate with miniature bottles of whisky.
An innocent enough tradition, one would think. Yet it transpires that the number of gifts she bestows is not only a closely guarded secret but a matter of grave national security.

That is the view of Norfolk Police. It has declined a request made under the Freedom of Information Act to divulge how many of its officers received presents because, it says, it would allow ‘domestic or foreign terrorists to establish the level of police protection afforded to Royal residences’.

As a matter of fact, that makes sense, in a way: there is no need to make public just how many security officers are engaged in the protection of Royal residences.
On the other hand, they must really check the quality of those security officers, if the article from yesterday is anything to go by.

The Queen may be settling in at Balmoral today, but she has left behind a royal buzz in London. Mandrake learns that the Crown Estate has erected bee hives on top of its buildings in Regent Street

The Queen creates a royal buzz - Telegraph

:clap::clap::clap:

The centuries-old practice of servants and guests walking backwards when leaving a room after seeing the monarch has been dropped after health and safety concerns.

Royal tradition takes a backward step as the Queen bows to 'health and safety' concerns - Telegraph

Spoilsports! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The centuries-old practice of servants and guests walking backwards when leaving a room after seeing the monarch has been dropped after health and safety concerns.

Spoilsports! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

Poor HM. No more awkward backward walking. What's left to 'amuse' her now?

Oh this does annoy me so!!! It's also the little things that make it what it is, imo. Health and Safety? Red tape rubbish...:rolleyes:

Though, if it prevents any opportunity to sue should any such accident occur, then I guess it has it's reasoning.

I myself, would find it an honour to trip over in the halls of Buckingham Palace...;):D

Health and Safety hasn't stopped the Queen from walking backwards down two steps when she places her wreath at the Cenotaph on Rememberance Sunday! If she can do that without tripping over onto hard concrete then visitors and staff at the Palace can certainly risk walking backwards on the very thickest of carpets!

Health and Safety hasn't stopped the Queen from walking backwards down two steps when she places her wreath at the Cenotaph on Rememberance Sunday! If she can do that without tripping over onto hard concrete then visitors and staff at the Palace can certainly risk walking backwards on the very thickest of carpets!

Well said Jacknch :flowers:
Health and Safety gone mad, takes the fun out of being royal. :)

I have to say, I agree with ada, Madame Royale, Jacknch and lumutqueen: it's such a pity the tradition will now cease to exist. Surely, this might just be a case of Health and Safety taken to extreme. :nonono:
There could have been many reasons for stopping the tradition, but Health and Safety? It's not that difficult to make a couple of steps backwards.

I haven't heard of any 'accidents' connected with the tradition either: and you could bet the media would love to report one if it had ever happened. :rolleyes:

Pics 10.8.2009

Prince Philip meets staff and crew taking part in Edinburgh's
entry in the Clipper 09-10 Round the World Yacht Race, 10
August 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Now there's an inspiration for us all

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
I've copied this post over to the Royal Library (Electronic Domain) and created a new thread.

Pics 11.8.2009

Prince Philip presented Royal Medals at the Royal Society of
Edinburgh in Edinburgh, 11 August 2009.

Royal Medals were instituted by the Queen in 2000. They are
awarded annually to individuals who have achieved distinction
and are of international repute in the categories: Life Sciences,
Physical and Engineering Sciences, Humanities and Social
Sciences and Business and Commerce.

** Pic 1** Pic 2** Pic 3 **

The first Elizabeth Cross is awarded.

A touching story and wonderful sentiment by HM.

Examiner Story

quote:
The first Elizabeth Cross was awarded to a widow of a British soldier killed in the Afghanistan conflict. The newly created Elizabeth Cross is to be awarded to the families of soldiers killed in conflicts since 1948. It is the first time since 1940, and George’s Cross, that a reigning monarch has created an award in his or her name. Relatives will receive a memorial scroll signed by the Queen which will bear the name of the person who died along with the cross itself.

At the time of the announcement of the Elizabeth Cross, the Queen said:
"This seems to me a right and proper way of showing our enduring debt to those who are killed while actively protecting what is most dear to us all. The solemn dignity which we attach to the names of those who have fallen is deeply engrained in our national character. As a people, we accord this ultimate sacrifice the highest honour and respect."

The link didn't work for me, mktv2000; so I really appreciate your including the quote in your post. I agree that this is a "wonderful sentiment by HM." :flowers:

One of the perks of being Queen: You get to see the coolest archives! :D

HRH The Duke will attend the commemoration ceremonies on occasion of the 65th anniversary of the liberation of the City of Nijmegen on september 20th.

HRH will be received by Her Majesty Queen Beatrix and she will accompany him inspecting the Guards of Honour and the Parade after which they will meet the veterans

It was the Braemar Highland Games today. I wonder if any other Royals attended with the Queen.

HRH The Duke will attend the commemoration ceremonies on occasion of the 65th anniversary of the liberation of the City of Nijmegen on september 20th.

HRH will be received by Her Majesty Queen Beatrix and she will accompany him inspecting the Guards of Honour and the Parade after which they will meet the veterans
That is brilliant! The Queen doesn't seem to travel abroad too often anymore so I'm looking forward to seeing pics of this.

Queen is 'displeased' with Gordon Brown over Afghanistan

The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales have contacted the Prime Minister about the lack of support that British troops have allegedly been given by the Government.
"The Queen, Prince Philip and Prince Charles are all furious with Gordon Brown over sub-standard equipment in Helmand, principally the underarmoured armoured cars and the lack of helicopters, and have been making their views known to him in no uncertain terms," claims Roberts, who is a close friend of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.

No wonder they are enraged: British soldiers are sent to fight in a war most British don't support, and they aren't even satisfactorily equipped?! :mad:

This is so sad, those underarmoured armoured cars are death traps, and this has been a known fact for ages

Queen cancels school visit over swine flu outbreak

Queen Elizabeth II had been due to open a new sports hall at Gordonstoun School in northeast Scotland, where her husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, and children including eldest son and heir Prince Charles were educated. But the visit scheduled for next Tuesday was cancelled on the suggestion of the school.

"At the request of the principal of Gordonstoun School following a suspected outbreak of the H1N1 virus (swine flu), with regret the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have postponed a visit to the school," said a royal spokeswoman.

Last edited:

It is sad that the Queen has had to cancel this visit, particularly considering the connections to her family over three generartions (Peter and Zara also went there as it is now a co-ed school) but it is the right thing.

Elderly people are at risk with illnesses like the flu and so this is done to protect both the Queen and a former old boy (and if not actually an original pupil certainly one of the very first) in the Duke of Edinburgh.

It's a pity that the Balmoral holiday is a bit of a non-event compared to what it used to be. None of the Queen's grandchildren join her anymore as I suppose they find it a bit boring. I remember the days when it was a sacred duty for the whole family to gather there in August/Sept but the young ones prefer to holiday abroad now. The queen must regret the passing of the old order.

:previous: Or she might be grateful for some relative peace and quiet. :ROFLMAO:

True.:flowers: I wonder whether the press is less apt to "stalk" when the younger generation aren't there? If so, that would be a relief as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom