The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thumbs down

Animal charities have accused Prince Edward of setting a "sickening example" as pictures showed him apparently hitting his dog

Prince accused of 'hitting his dog' - Yahoo! News UK

Prince Dog-Beater: Outrage as Edward repeatedly lashes out at gundogs with a 4ft stick

Prince Dog-Beater: Outrage as Edward repeatedly lashes out at gundogs with a 4ft stick | Mail Online

Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh my gosh. What in the hell is the matter with him?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Courtier

Trying to break up a dog fight can be really scary, unfortunately I think Edward was more concerned about his pheasant being pulled apart by the dogs.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Majesty

Prince Edward did what he thought to be appropriate in the situation. Applying the universal excuse, he just showed his human side.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Trying to break up a dog fight can be really scary, unfortunately I think Edward was more concerned about his pheasant being pulled apart by the dogs.
How can you tell that he was more concerned for the dead pheasant?

From the photos I am not sure what he is doing other then trying to stop the dogs from doing something - fighting, tearing apart the pheasant or whatever is the reporters story. The photos simply show him with a stick near the dogs. The stick is in different positions.

We can read a lot into photos but can we be sure that what the reporter actually wrote is what is happening or is it what they say is happening based on the photos? Where was the photographer? Where was the reporter?

If breaking up a fight then using a stick to make a noise near them is a good way I have been told as it does the trick without hurting either of the dogs - so long as the dogs weren't actually hit of course.

The royals grow up with animals all around them and to report that they mistreat them seems to go against the evidence of dog-lovers that we see of them most of the time. They do know what they are supposed to do in certain circumstances because they are taught it from birth.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Remember this is The Mail who take every negative stance they can on the royals.

When reading The Mail I always remember that they hate the royals so they are always trying to bring them down and this could be another story about not much anyway.

Do any of the photos show Edward hitting the dogs? No. Why not? Because either the photographer didn't get any photos of Edward hitting the dogs or because Edward actually didn't hit the dogs at all but hit the ground near the dogs to stop them doing something else.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Aristocracy

My family own and show dogs and we are guilty of doing what Edward has been pictured doing to break up fights and disagreements between dogs. It is quite clear to me that those dogs were fighting somewhat. It can be very hard to stop to dogs fighting with your bare hands.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
I too have had to break up dog fights, mine are Great Danes and whilst I use a stick to push them apart, I would never dream of raising the stick in the air and striking down. The pictures shown on Sky and many of the UK papers show the stick contacting, after the dogs had separated. One dog is cowering away from Edward, so I would think this is something that Edward has done to the dog before, (if I raise a stick, mine think I am about to throw it for them).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/latest/...5875-20999201/

Sunday Express | UK News :: Edward’s vicious attack on his dog

Earl of Wessex in gun dog 'cruelty' row - Telegraph

The dog then ran off and Prince Edward gave chase, taking another swing in its direction ----
I don't know if he physically struck them. But both dogs are fine – no harm was done to them.
-------------
No denial from the palace then, just a fudge around it with 'I DON'T KNOW', they are probably waiting to see if the dogs are going to report it!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Serene Highness

It's not just the Daily Mail that is carrying the story. Most of todays newspapers are as well as the T.V. news channels in the U.K.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Serene Highness

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
My family own and show dogs and we are guilty of doing what Edward has been pictured doing to break up fights and disagreements between dogs. It is quite clear to me that those dogs were fighting somewhat. It can be very hard to stop to dogs fighting with your bare hands.
Thank God someone speaks some sense!!!!!
I can imagine that if HM had caught the dogs fighting when they were supposed to be working they would have got a belting as well!!!!
Personally, I'd like to know what photographers were doing on a private estate anyway. Arrest them for trespass & sue them for invasion of privacy (Off with their Heads)
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Royal Highness

if i'm not mistaken, parts of sandringham are accessible by the public but that aside, photographers use very high powered zoom lenses and these photos were obviously taken from a considerable distance
Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Thank God someone speaks some sense!!!!!
I very much doubt god in any way, shape or form, has anything to do with it
Quote:
I can imagine that if HM had caught the dogs fighting when they were supposed to be working they would have got a belting as well!!!!
Not everyone believes in beating a dog into submission as you appear to and I can't imagine HM being of such a violent nature either. It is cruel and shows a poorly trained animal, which if these are the methods employed by Edward, does not surprise me!

They were not fighting, they were both pulling at the same bird according to the articles and the news reports here in the UK. There is a difference!
Old 12-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

The fact of the matter is that none of us were there. A picture(s) don't always give the entire story. I'm not saying Prince Edward is above exhibiting very bad treatment of an animal but I can't imagine any members of the BRF would abuse an animal. They were all raised with animals and HM has an obvious strong affection for them, esp. her dogs and horses. Her love and affection of animals I'm sure has been passed along to her children and grandchildren. As someone who has had dogs all my life, I will agree that dog fights can be very vicious and dangerous. You have to be very careful in trying to separate them for fear of getting your fingers, hand or arm attacked. Waving a stick is not uncommon, if that is indeed all he did.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Majesty

Exactly. If there was a picture of the stick making contact with a dog, you can bet it would be on the front page!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
I will agree that dog fights can be very vicious and dangerous..
Unfortunately you, along with many others, do not appear to be reading the articles. The dogs were not fighting with one another, they were pulling the bird in separate directions i.e. fighting over it, not with each other.
Quote:
As someone who has had dogs all my life
Then you will no doubt agree, that brandishing a stick at a dog is entirely different from slamming the stick down, with the apparent purpose of hitting the dog. The fact that he then went after the dog for another attempt plus the lack of denial (which they certainly did over Philips alleged cruelty), speaks volumes. many of the photographs show one dog in particular cowering, the actions of a creature that knows what is coming.

HM is hard working, that gene also seems to have passed her younger sons by.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:47 PM

What is the matter with Edward? He's always been a waste of time, all he seems to does is throw queeny strops and mince about the place as though he were God's gift. Ghastly little man.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

I did read the articles and did mean that dog fights (obviously between dogs) could be vicious and dangersous. And I def agree that shaking a stick at fighting dogs is totally different than hitting the dog. I thought I expressed this in my post. We are on the same side on this one, please don't twist it into something it's not.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Royal Highness

perhaps prince edward would benefit from a lesson from cesar milan. actually, if this is how he tries to control the dog(s) then maybe several lessons would be a better idea.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

All Edward is guilty of is being a Royal, and if he is guilty of cruelty for waving or swiping a stick at his dog to stop them from having a disagreement. Then charge my family and I for the samething.

Those dogs are not traumatized you can see in one pic both dogs were wagging their tails once the dead bird had been picked up, in one piece still.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:57 PM

Guilty of being Royal? The Queen's Royal, she doesn't act like a moron though.

Tags
countess of wessex, earl of wessex, lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor, prince edward, sophie, viscount severn