Royalty & Sport

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royals & Their Racing Cars!

I was curious if any of the royals have ever participated in a Formula One or similiar type racing event if any of them have ever done so on a regular basis? Part of my log in is Nascar. I'm a Nascar Fan (American Stock Car Racing). This is very different from Formula One. European and American car racing is very different. If anyone reading this is in the United States and wants an American Sporting Experience, attending a NASCAR race would be a good way to do this.

I will be in attendance at the 4th of July weekend races in Daytona Beach. They have plenty of seats available and you will have a wonderful time. If anyone who reads this attends the race in Daytona Beach, Florida, let me know what your experience was like.

To Crown Princess 5: Thank you so much for the information.

Princess Maxima played volleyball. She used to be the captain of her high school volleyball team.

Since we are on the subject of royals and sports I was wondering if anyone knew which royal has won the most medals at the Olympics and which royal has won overall the most medals?

Royals cheering for their sport players/teams

Hi there

Recently I saw a picture of Crown Princely couple of The Netherlands cheering for The Netherlands during the Argentina vs. The Netherlands in the FIFA world cup 2010 in the newspaper. On the FIFA final i Saw the Spanish Royals and the Dutch royals cheering for their teams .

Here are some pictures : Queen Sofia Of Spain Pictures - Netherlands v Spain: 2010 FIFA World Cup Final - Zimbio

Please post some pictures of Royals cheering for their sport teams/players of any sports!

Frederik of Denmark's physical abilities are a way above any comparison to other royals due to his military career.

Mary is also an avid athlete.
She competed (at a local level) in horsejumping. She was captain to her highschool hockey and basketball teams, she was also a member of the swimming teams. Later she played basketball for her University.
I saw some vids and pictures of her running, her muscle structure is quite impressive and she is very fit.

Princely Family of Monaco

-Prince Albert II of Monaco participated at four Winter Olympic Games and he competed in the bobsleg.

-Princess Stephanie's elder daughter,Pauline Grace is a diving champion.
http://www.papermag.com/blogs/paulina-2a.gif
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/27/article-1063369-02D161C500000578-341_224x423.jpg
Of course Princess Stephanie is a keen sportswoman herself,you can see that from her figure.:)

-Her brother Louis seems to be very good at football,in this pic you can see him participating in a charity game with his first cousin Pierre Casiraghi who's Princess Caroline's son.
http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/nr01/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/foot2.jpg

-Princess Caroline's elder daughter Charlotte Casiraghi is considered to be very good at horse riding
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01638/casiraghirex620_1638188c.jpg
and her younger sister Princess Alexandra of Hannover apparently loves ice skating and has recently made her mom proud by winning the second place.
http://charlottemaripomeline.web-lo...03/14/2009_02feb_alexandra_ski_vakantie_6.jpg
http://www.theroyalforums.com/attac...0/03/ste_Alexandra-e1267851905984-120x120.jpg

-The future wife of Prince Albert Miss Charlene Wittstock is a fifth Olympian at swimming (Sydney 2000).

King Constantine II of Greece won a gold medal at the 1960 Summer Olympics for sailing in the Dragon Class.

I know our late Prince Bertil of Sweden, who btw lived in the US, also enjoyed race cars a lot.

king Abdullah of jordan likes race cars and many of Gulf sheikhs .

King Albert I of the Belgians liked horseback riding.

Prince Albert, The Duke of York (the future King George VI) kicked-off a charity soccer game between Tottenham Hotspur and Corinthians at White Hart Lane.

Prince Philip's uncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten, was a polo player.
Lord Louis wrote a book An Introduction to Polo under the pseudonym of "Marco".

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP the 5 Ferraris and 6 lambhorginis that crashed on the autobon years ago. They were mine and after I learned they crashed I told them to sell all the parts. My cousin crashed his mom's Cadillac like 17 years ago after hitting a pot hole and the axel itself costed more than the car.

The Prince of Qatar and the Sheik Al Thani own a motor club. I donated to it a little while ago.

No royal is running in the Daytona races and to my knowledge no one who is royal has ever ran in NASCAR races (perhaps one day). Also to my knowledge none of the current NASCAR drivers has royal blood in their ancestry. I would think if one of them did, it would have come out by now.

How Do Royals Exercise?

How do royals choose to do their regular exercise to keep in shape and healthy? do they practice with classes, go to the gym, practice a sport, go jogging...?

this sprung to mind as i read this article that mentions that letizia practices iyengar yoga. she revealed this herself during one of her engagements. i also remember reading she did zumba classes with her friends.

El yoga Iyengar, secreto para la serenidad de Doña Letizia | loc | EL MUNDO

we know that lots of royals ski, obviously, that some are joggers (charlene, frederik and mary spring to mind) and that some horseride.

I hope some of the British royals are doing laps in that indoor pool at Buckingham Palace that Diana used to swim in.

I hope some of the British royals are doing laps in that indoor pool at Buckingham Palace that Diana used to swim in.

Indeed! i believe it was reportedly used lately for george's swimming classes :)

There are exercise rooms at Fredensborg and Amalienborg where certainly Mary (and to a lesser degree PH) has been known to work out regularly. - They are also to be used by the employees BTW.
Mary has had several personal trainers (apparently hired on a need basis. I.e. when she needs to regain her figure after a pregnancy) and she has been boxing. (Perhaps still is).
She is often seen jogging around Amalienborg or at the park at Fredensborg.

Frederik has admitted to be a person who work out for a purpose (like a specific run) rather than for pleasure.

QMII used to dance ballet, but not anymore. Her knees and back can't handle it.

Our Marie has been photographed jogging around Schackenborg.

Last edited:
I believe Máxima used to go to 'Fitness First' in the center of The Hague, at least at the beginning of the marriage. I am not sure what she is doing now. King WA usually goes jogging on the estate De Horsten.

carlota said:
this sprung to mind as i read this article that mentions that letizia practices iyengar yoga. she revealed this herself during one of her engagements. i also remember reading she did zumba classes with her friends.

I am doing Iyengar yoga too. If you are advanced enough -which I am not- you can do it daily on your own and just go to a teacher once a week. Or in the case of HM the teacher may come to her. It does explain HM's great posture as Iyengar is all about straightening the spine and doing the movements as perfect as possible.

Last edited:
Victoria and Daniel both jog and go to the gym several times a week. There are photos of them jogging in Öland on their summer holiday.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010090011W1453707364315955

They are also seen often cycling at the Haga Park, or walking with Estelle. Daniel loves to play golf and he is also playing floorball. According to Svensk Damtidning he plays floorball once a week with his friends.

Daniel and Haakon were also seen jogging together when they attended at queen Margrethe's 75th birthday last April.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010090021W1453707364315955

Last edited:
very interesting info, thanks for posting!

interesting that maxima was a member of 'Fitness First', which if it is the same as in other countries is a fairly 'standard' gym (ie. not a 'club' kind of gym, or a membership only sort of thing, but open to everyone).

There are exercise rooms at Fredensborg and Amalienborg where certainly Mary (and to a lesser degree PH) has been known to work out regularly. - They are also to be used by the employees BTW.
Mary has had several personal trainers (apparently hired on a need basis. I.e. when she needs to regain her figure after a pregnancy) and she has been boxing. (Perhaps still is).

that's interesting mulher. is the gym mainly for the use of the royals - do the same rules as in the british royal household apply? when a royal wants to use the pool, for example, any staff who are in the pool must leave. the danes would strike me as more down to earth in this respect.

Prince Daniel has played ice hockey in his youth. And today in Ockelbo at the inauguration match of the new multisports hall ICA Ugglebo Arena he played again. Daniel played at Team Generation Pep, they played against Ockelbo Hockey A-Team. Daniel played with former swedish superstars, among them Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin and Nicklas Lidström.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Back
Top Bottom