Prince Carl Philip and Motor Racing

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dennism

Majesty
City
East of the sun and west of the moon
Country
United States
Swedish Prince Carl Philip confirmed at the Swedish television
program Mera Motor that he is going to compete in motor sport this
summer.

The Swedish prince was present at Rally Sweden last weekend when
Petter Solberg drove in as number three, and the experience in the
Swedish woods apparently trigged his want even more.

Prince Carl Philip took a racing licence this summer, and he got his
competing licence from Svenska Bilsportforbundet, the Swedish motor
sport association, last weekend. The Swedish prince is already an
honorary member of Motormännens Riksförbund, Swedish motorists'
national association.

Rumours that Prince Carl Philip may possible compete in Swedish
motor sport have been spinning since this summer. In the program
Mera Motor, aired at TV 4 February 24, the Prince confirmed that he
will participate in competitions in the future.

Cool.

Go-cart debut for Prince Carl Philip! (summary of an VF article)

Last Saturday, 14 May, Prince Carl Philip made his go-cart debut in a competition in Kristinehamn in Värmland, his duchy. There was a lot of hush-hush and an entry to the competition under false name.
- If I had the opportunity I would do this more often, the Prince said to VF.

The reason he chose to make his first start in Kristinehamn and the Karting Cup is Thomas Johansson, a racer driver who is an acquaintance of the Prince and who invited him to take part.

The Prince took the stir and excitement that occurred when people saw he was there with calmness and happily signed autographs to young admirers.

- I have driven quite a bit with “Flash” (Jan “Flash” Nilsson, one of Sweden’s best racing drivers). We know each other and he is really good. He has given me several tips and advices, but this is actually the first time I’m in a competition.

The motor keen Duke of Värmland is a diligent guest at several racing happenings. Both the Swedish Rally and the STCC races at Gelleråsen in Karlskoga belong to the events where he usually turns up. Last weekend’s visit to the Kristinehamn go-cart track was the first.

- Go cart is fun. If I had the possibilities I would try and drive often, because it’s both fun and gives good exercise. Luckily this race fit my schedule, but unfortunately there won’t be so many other opportunities.

His girlfriend, Emma Pernald, who stood at the side of the track – eagerly cheered Prince Carl Philip on, and even if Carl Philip drove wisely and carefully, he managed to spin around both once and twice… He ended on a 7th place in total after the super final, pretty good considering he was invited with a wild card.

Attachments

• 14 maj 2005.JPG
    14 maj 2005.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 4,478
thank

Thank for the article and the picture. :)
I hope to know where did you find this article. Can you give me the magazine's name please.
Thank you very much

wonder if we will see him conpeteing more
does not prince joachim compete in this kind of races

lilou said:
Thank for the article and the picture. :)
I hope to know where did you find this article. Can you give me the magazine's name please. Thank you very much
Värmlands Folkblad, regional newspaper in Swedish. http://www.vf.se/

Prince Carl Philip is to make his racing debut among ”the big guys”!

Next Sunday, 14 August, Prince Carl Philip will race in the Red Bull Ultimate Driver! The race will be direct broadcasted by Expressen’s sport channel, Sport-Expressen, and the race is held close to the Royal Palace, grounds very familiar to the Prince.

Around 20 000 spectators are estimated to stand around the track. All the participants will drive new and super fast go-carts, and Prince Carl Philip is especially invited to attend. He will face tough competition in some of the best drivers in the sport.

Prince Carl Philip told Sport-Expressen:

- I class myself as a beginner, but it’s gonna be great to drive a go-cart competition in central Stockholm.

- Who hasn’t dreamt of becoming a racing driver? I feel privileged to get the opportunity to participate in this competition.

- To be with Sweden’s racing elite and learn from DTM champions Mattias Ekström, Fredrik Ekblom, Flash and the other drivers is going to be incredible fun and exciting.

The motor Prince according to Janne “Flash” Nilsson, one of the biggest profiles in racing:

Strengths:
- Easy to learn. He easily takes in information.
- The right body built. He has the ideal body.
- Sense for the track. He has a natural feeling.

Weaknesses:
- Lack of time. He doesn’t have time to practice (me: not as much as normal drivers do).
- Being a Prince. He gets judged immediately.
- Careful in the initial phase.

Full story (in Swedish) here: http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=415180

Attachments

• b681eab4.jpg
    b681eab4.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 7,274
  • dcb0b32e.jpg
    dcb0b32e.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 4,194
Last edited:
wonder how he will do
so is anyone going to see the race live

Summary of an Aftonbladet article:

Another ”before the race” article by Aftonbladet included two nice pictures of Sweden’s new ”motor prince”, a title he has inherited from uncle Prince Bertil who went by that nickname during his days.

This past Monday, Prince Carl Philip had a practice session before this coming weekend’s big competition, the Red Bull Ultimate Driver, in which he will compete to some big names in racing.

- I do this because its fun. I have practiced some with “Flash”, but if one looks at the competitors one has to be humble.

Aftonbladet says that it wasn’t decided yesterday if the Royal Family will come and support the prince on Sunday when the race is held at the Royal Palace. But according to the calendar, the King and Queen will be in Kalmar County on that day. But let’s hope that Victoria and Madeleine, and maybe the Magnuson cousins and some friends, will come and cheer for him.

Full story here (in Swedish): http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,683309,00.html

Attachments

• 10s24-CARLFILFRI-257.jpg
    10s24-CARLFILFRI-257.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 594
  • 10s24-GOKARTNY-151.jpg
    10s24-GOKARTNY-151.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 4,071
Today the prince drove gocart around the palace in Stockholm. Aftonbladet have a video of it! http://www.aftonbladet.se/atv/index.html?catID=10&clipID=2232

Before the race all other drivers talked to the press and posed for photographs, but Varl Philip hid in the VIP lounge. Bad Carl Philip, bad :mad:
He was only allowed to participate because he is a prince (others mostly professional and world elite drivers) and probably because of the "extra" PR, so I think he could have made the effort to talk to the press and wave to the crowd...

Attachments

• p1ny050814fille.jpg
    p1ny050814fille.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 7,007
Last edited:
I´m agreeing. A few words to the press wouldn´t have been bad. Seeing this behaviour and knowing about Victoria´s comment to the press last weekend at the "bavarian" wedding, I slowly tend to think, that Madeleine is the most affable of the three Royal children. I must say in the past year (maybe 2 years) she has surprised me with her nice and charming interviews and little "small talks" with the press. Oh Madeleine, how much unjustness you have gotten from my side. I´m sorry. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa
4_17_4.gif

Nonetheless CP looked hot today :D

Seeing this behaviour and knowing about Victoria´s comment to the press last weekend at the "bavarian" wedding,
what did she say?

I agree, Madeleine is very good at beeing nice to the press, but not to nice if you know what I mean :D

Yennie said:
what did she say?

I agree, Madeleine is very good at beeing nice to the press, but not to nice if you know what I mean :D

:D yeah...yeah, she won´t become the first princess, who dates a gossip journalist ;)
And she´s also not so naive to tell the press all from A to Z.

Victoria said:
– Nu får ni väl ge er, suckade Victoria

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,682118,00.html

I know, what it means (in german). But to be honest, I´ve problems to translate it into english. I will leave that to you, Yennie ;) :p

Lena said:
:D yeah...yeah, she won´t become the first princess, who dates a gossip journalist ;)
And she´s also not so naive to tell the press all from A to Z.

Victoria said:
– Nu får ni väl ge er, suckade Victoria

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,682118,00.html

I know, what it means (in german). But to be honest, I´ve problems to translate it into english. I will leave that to you, Yennie ;) :p
haha, Madde and Daniel N? why not :D

"Nu får ni väl ge er" hmm, thats a tough one.... perhaps something like "give me a break", "give it up" or... ahh I dont know.
I´m sure there´s some english speaking member who knows the right expression. Dennism?

Yennie said:
"Nu får ni väl ge er" hmm, thats a tough one.... perhaps something like "give me a break", "give it up" or... ahh I dont know.
I´m sure there´s some english speaking member who knows the right expression. Dennism?

Well, "Give us a break". Or "Stop it now, for heaven´s sake". Something like that. But there isn´t one perfect translation as far as I know.

Here are some pictures of a very handsome Prince Carl Philip yesterday when he participated in the "Red Bull Ultimate Driver" in Stockholm City. The pictures are from Daily Media, Automotorsport and Dagens Nyheter.

Attachments

• Automotorsport.jpg
    Automotorsport.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,266
  • DN.jpg
    DN.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 623
  • redbull01.jpg
    redbull01.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 884
  • redbull02.jpg
    redbull02.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 711
  • redbull03.jpg
    redbull03.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,980
Here are some more pictures from face to face, I have made a selection of the pictures where you can accually see his face (and the fact that he has braces) I always thought he looked a little goofy but her has done a great job growing up I have to say:D :D

Attachments

• 00725578.jpg
    00725578.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 711
  • 00725576.jpg
    00725576.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 723
  • 00725574.jpg
    00725574.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 906
  • 00725572.jpg
    00725572.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 684
  • 00725567.jpg
    00725567.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 798
  • 00725566.jpg
    00725566.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 828
  • 00725580.jpg
    00725580.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 750
  • 00725563.jpg
    00725563.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 860
  • 00725560.jpg
    00725560.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 695
  • 00725562.jpg
    00725562.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 743
CAPTION: EMMA PERNALD girlfriend of PRINCE CARL PHILIP of Sweden at the Red Bull ultimate driver Go-Kart race.

from newscom.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 595
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 595
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 616
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,237
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 710
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 777
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 620
Just lovely

Thankx for the pics.
In every pics I've seen of her, Emma strikes me as an adorable and very sweet girl. The kind of person you would go straight to in a room full of strangers.
Carl-Philips' a lucky man!

Thank you for the nice pictures of Emma. A long time has ceased where no picture of her were made.

I agree with you, she is quite nice and cosy. Princess Emma seems to be the name we have to accept in the future in the Royal House of Sweden.:)

Yennie said:
Today the prince drove gocart around the palace in Stockholm. Aftonbladet have a video of it! http://www.aftonbladet.se/atv/index.html?catID=10&clipID=2232

Before the race all other drivers talked to the press and posed for photographs, but Varl Philip hid in the VIP lounge. Bad Carl Philip, bad :mad:
He was only allowed to participate because he is a prince (others mostly professional and world elite drivers) and probably because of the "extra" PR, so I think he could have made the effort to talk to the press and wave to the crowd...

I don t undersand you people, because he is royal he should do whatever journalists and the public wants 24/7? For crying out loud!! In that case, lets ask him to get undressed in front of the camera etc... I am sure MANY people would enjoy (I would anyway) ;)

But seriously, the swedish royals are the most open ones to the press by far! In my country (Netherlands) more then one royalty journalist showed his amazement that the swedish royals actualy talked to the press etc. as here the royals most of the time do NOT talk to any journalist at all. You in Sweden are so spoiled already (open and very attractive royals), so let Carl-Philip enjoy the VIP lounge.

Thank you ver much bigheadshirmp for finding and posting the new pictures of Emma! I agree with all of you, it's very nice to see her again, something we're certainly not spoiled with. But good for her that she can live such a private life. It was nice to see both her and Victoria cheering for Carl Philip at the race. Emma seems to get along very well with all of the royal children, and it's said that the whole Royal Family likes her very much. And I agree with that, she seems to be a very nice and down to earth girl, very sweet and happy.

Let's hope for a wedding one day - Princess Emma, Duchess of Värmland (sounds great btw)! :)

bigheadshirmp said:
CAPTION: EMMA PERNALD girlfriend of PRINCE CARL PHILIP of Sweden at the Red Bull ultimate driver Go-Kart race.

from newscom.

It's been such a long time since we seen them together..yeah they're back! :D
What's with the big black box? ;)

I'm not too fond of that pic of him at the Go-Kart race....maybe its the angle it was taken.....don't know.
But I would still date him....no matter what :D.

Marengo said:
I don t undersand you people, because he is royal he should do whatever journalists and the public wants 24/7? For crying out loud!! In that case, lets ask him to get undressed in front of the camera etc... I am sure MANY people would enjoy (I would anyway) ;)

But seriously, the swedish royals are the most open ones to the press by far! In my country (Netherlands) more then one royalty journalist showed his amazement that the swedish royals actualy talked to the press etc. as here the royals most of the time do NOT talk to any journalist at all. You in Sweden are so spoiled already (open and very attractive royals), so let Carl-Philip enjoy the VIP lounge.

No that´s not what I meant. But in this particluar case, he was there as prince of Sweden (dont think a "normal" 25 year old with no skills would have been invited to join a race like this) and because of that I think he should have been "grateful". Ah, I can´t find the right words , but do you know what I mean?

I dont think its to much to ask for at all. Ofcourse he has the right to a private life and thats none of our buisness to "get involved in" but this isn´t what I would call a private event.
Its kind of an "both keep the cake and eat it", as we say in Sweden, situation

Yennie said:
No that´s not what I meant. But in this particluar case, he was there as prince of Sweden (dont think a "normal" 25 year old with no skills would have been invited to join a race like this) and because of that I think he should have been "grateful". Ah, I can´t find the right words , but do you know what I mean?

I dont think its to much to ask for at all. Ofcourse he has the right to a private life and thats none of our buisness to "get involved in" but this isn´t what I would call a private event.
Its kind of an "both keep the cake and eat it", as we say in Sweden, situation

I understand what you mean. Just a few words. He must have a certain amount of skill and talent to do this go-karting racing. But he was largely given the opportunity to participate because he is a prince. So I understand that a few words would have been okay. That being said, I agree with Marengo in that the Swedes are problably the most forthcoming of the royal families. So it is a tough balance.

Back
Top Bottom