Royal Education

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan has an earned high-level degree (and of course, Masako herself graduated from Harvard). I'm trying to recall what Naruhito's graduate thesis was , something regarding transportation systems (??? :blink: )

Royal Education (School, College, University)

I am very interested to know, in which boarding schools the royals have been as pupils.

Princess Diana was in Riddlesworth Hall.
http://www.riddlesworthhall.com/

Princes William and Harry were in Eton College
http://www.etoncollege.com/Splash.asp

Prince Charles was in Gordonstoun. Prince Philip was also there.
http://www.gordonstoun.org.uk/grdnstn/stoun.htm

King KOnstantin of Greece was in Anavryta School, I couldn't find the site now

Queen Sophia was in Salem School in Germany as well as Princess Irene

thank you for all the info

what kind of education did queen elizabeth and prince philip have?

Maxima attended Northlands School is Martinez, Buenos Aires, Arg.then she studied in La Universidad Catolica Argentina , Economy

Josefine said:
thank you for all the info

what kind of education did queen elizabeth and prince philip have?

Prince Philip attended Cheam and Gordonstoun Schools. After this he wen straight attended Dartmouth Naval College for his officer's training and commission.

Q. Elizabeth was educated at home I believe. She did however attend some classes at Eton College focusing on Constitutional Law (I believe this was private tuition, not with the other students at the all-boy school).

Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine of Sweden all went to "ordinary" swedish schools between age 7-19.
After that Victoria studied french in France 96/97 and after that she went on to Yale University in USA where she was a "special student" and took various courses in, among other things, art and french.
Carl Philip is at the moment a student at Forsbergs school of desing in Stockholm where he´s studying graphic design.
And then the little sister: Madeleine has studied science of art at Stockholm University for three semesters. This fall she studies Etnologhy.

Yennie said:
Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine of Sweden all went to "ordinary" swedish schools between age 7-19.
Prince Carl Philip did not attend a normal school in gymnasiet/upper secondary school. Instead he chose Sweden's oldest private boarding school - and one of the few private schools left in the country. The annual tuition fee for the education is 174 000 SEK, about $25 808.

GrandDuchess said:
Prince Carl Philip did not attend a normal school in gymnasiet/upper secondary school. Instead he chose Sweden's oldest private boarding school - and one of the few private schools left in the country. The annual tuition fee for the education is 174 000 SEK, about $25 808.
It depenmd on what you mean by "normal school"!
When I use the phrase "normal school" I mean a school that follows the swedish "läroplan". Meaning, not an education in private at the royal palace or something like that.
Yes, the students at Lundsberg are posh,rich children of the swedish nobility but its still a school that has the same subjects and way of teaching like all other schools in Sweden.

And if so, that means that neither Victoria or Madeleine went to normal schools either. Enskilda Gymnasiet also has a high fee.
But atleast, between the age of 7-16 Victoria and Carl Philip went to state schools(Smedslättskolan and Ålstenskolan). Madeleine started at Smedslättskolan and then started at Enskilda gymnasiet( Carlssons skola) when she was 10 and in 4th grade.

Yennie said:
It depenmd on what you mean by "normal school"!
When I use the phrase "normal school" I mean a school that follows the swedish "läroplan". Meaning, not an education in private at the royal palace or something like that.
There are no schools in Sweden that doesn't follow the "läroplan" (educational curriculum set up by the Parliament). Private education (home schooling) at the Royal Palace, like the King received, would also have to follow the "läroplan" (educational curriculum) if still used. In Sweden, the only dinstinction between different forms of school is kommunala/municipalital schools, friskolor/semi-private and privat/private schools.

The schools of all the Swedish royal children belongs to the category friskolor/semi-private - except Prince Carl Philip's school Lundsberg, which he attended for upper secondary school. He also attended the boarding school Kent in Connecticut in the US.

Princess Märtha Louise is a certified physical therapist.

Crown Prince Haakon studied at UC Berkeley. He also has a Master's Degree from London School of Economics in International Politics.

King Harald studied at Balliol, Oxford.

All of the members of the Norwegian Royal family have spent the early years of their education in state-run schools, though Princess Astrid and Ragnhild were educated at home before the Second World War. During the war Princess Astrid, Princess Ragnhild and, then, Prince Harald was educated at American schools, and when they returned to Norway the princesses refused to be home-schooled again.

Does anybody know of more schools that various royals attended?

Prince Amedeo went to Sevenoaks in England.

Some royals actually preferred to study in schools in the own countries. Some in public or private schools.

But in the past, majority of the royals were really into boarding schools.

Prince Carl Philip also went to Kent in the US
http://www.kent-school.edu/

Prince Rainier of Monaco, King Albert of Belgium, Prince Emmanuel Filiberto of Savoy, Aga Khan IV, Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia, the Duke of Kent, Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece and Crown Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg attended Le Rosey

http://www.rosey.ch

King Hussein of Jordan and various members of the Jordanian royal family attended Harrow in the UK

http://www.harrowschool.org.uk/

Princess Anne attended Benenden School in Kent.

Princess Caroline of Monaco attended St. Mary's School Ascot in the UK

http://www.st-marys-ascot.co.uk/

Crown Prince Guillaume also attended Beau Soleil College, another boarding school in Switzerland.

http://www.beau-soleil.ch

Queen Sophia was student in Salem/Germany:

http://www.salemcollege.de/E0_00.html (english version)

Speech of her Majesty in 2000:

Mr. President, Ladies and Gentlemen,

When I received from Salem an invitation to take part in the opening

ceremony for the Salem International College, I accepted gladly. To my

great regret, however, I have had to withdraw again at short notice, for

the opening in Barcelona of the 3rd International Forum on Microenterprise

has been arranged for the same date. This I have to attend, having been

President of the Forum since its inception.

As an ex-pupil of Salem, however, I could not not let the day go by without

sending you my greetings and my very best wishes for the future. At Schule

Schloss Salem I received an excellent education; it remains with me today,

and I treasure my memories of it. My involvement in the Committee of the

United World Colleges shows how dear to my heart are Kurt Hahn's ideas on

the education of young people, worldwide, in the spirit of responsibility,

tolerance and personal understanding, above the diverse cultures of

different countries, regardless of frontiers. Schools like Salem, advancing

courageously along this path, deserve every encouragement.

I wish all of you, gathered together today at Salem, a wonderful day. And

for the International College, I can hope for no more than that it will

maintain the high reputation the name of Salem has deservedly gained over

the years for a long time to come.

Sophie R.

http://www.salemcollege.de/E0_00.html

norwegianne said:
Princess Märtha Louise is a certified physical therapist.
I wonder why she chose physical therapy although she knew she'd never work as a physucal therapist?

Prince Hashim of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
educational background: Bacaloria(Jordan,Amman), Fay School (Boston, MA), Meret School (Washington, D.C.), RMA Sandhurst (UK), Georgetown University ( Washington, D.C.;transferred from Duke University)

Prince Hamzah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
educational background: Bacaloria (not sure about his one), Harrow School (London, UK), RMA Sandhurst (UK), Harvard University (Massacheusetts)

King Hussein
educational background: elementary education in Amman, Victoria College (Alexandria, Egypt), Harrow School (UK), RMA Sandhurst (UK).

King Abdallah II
educational background: Islamic Educational College, St. Edmund's School (Surrey, England), Eaglebrook School (USA), Deerfield Academy (USA), RMA Sandhurst (UK), Oxford University (for a year), Georgetown University (USA)

Queen Rania
educational background: primary and secondary education in Kuwait, American University in Cairo (Business Administration degree).

Queen Noor
educational background: She attended schools in Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., New York City, and Concord Academy in Massachusetts, before entering Princeton University in its first co-educational freshman class. After receiving a B.A. in Architecture and Urban Planning from Princeton University in 1974

Princess Noor Hamzah
Princess Noor obtained an IGCSE from King's College in Spain before continuing her university education in the US (Emerson College).

The education of the Norwegian Royal family

The education of the Norwegian Royal family

King Harald
After WW2 he went to a Norwegian elementary school, Smestad elementary school (I don’t know where he went to school before that, but he lived in USA). He went on to Junior High School and High School at Oslo Cathedral school. He got his diploma in 1955. He went on to the University of Oslo the same autumn. After on he took the Officer school of the Cavalery at Tandum and continued with the Arny Academy (Krigsskolen), where he graduated in 1959. After one year of mandatory military duty he continued his education at Oxford, where he studied economics, politics and history at Balliol College.

Queen Sonja
Junior High School diploma in 1954 from Oslo (the schoolsystem has changed a lot since then). Then she went on to Oslo Vocational school and took courses in dress making (seamstress). She got a diploma from l¹Ecole Professionelle des jeunes Filles in Lausanne in Switzerland, where she took courses in civics, accounting and fashion design. She took exam artium (High School diploma – preparation for university) and got a bachelor degree from the University of Oslo with the subjects of French, English and History of Art.

Princess Märtha Louise
She went to public kindergarten and then elementary school (same as her father). In 1990 she graduated from the Christian High School in Oslo, with an emphasis on languages. The same autumn she went on to Waterstock riding centre in England and also studied English literature at Oxford. Shortly after she moved on to Arena UK riding centre in Lincolnshire to perfect her riding skills. In 1992 she studied at Bjørknes private school in Oslo. Later she studied to be a physical therapist at Bislet polytechnical college in Oslo. She spent her manatory physical therarpist practical year at Maastricht, the Netherlands. She got her physical therapist certificate in 1997.

Crown Prince Haakon
He went to the same kindergarten as his sister and elementary school as his father and sister. He graduated from the Christian High School in 1992 with emphasis on corporate economics and law. Only two days after graduating he started at the Navy recruit school outside Stavanger. After a five weeks kadett course he continued with one year at the Naval officer school in Horten. Then he took the first part of the Naval Academy (Sjøkrigsskolen) in Bergen. From August 1995 he served his mandatory practical year as a second in command of one of the Navys motortorpedo boats. From the autumn of 1996 he studied politics at the University of California, Berkeley where he got his bachelor degree in 1999. The study year of 1999/2000 he followed lectures at the faculty of law at the University of Oslo. And from august 2000 he was an intern at the Diplomatic course at the Departement of Foreign affairs. After this he spent a year in London completing his masters in politics at LSE (2002-2003).

Crown Princess Mette-Marit
She went to elementary school and Junior High School in Kristiansand, then she continued to Oddernes High School. She spent 6 months as an exchangstudent at Wangaratta High School in Australia, and then continued at Kristiansand Cathedral school where she graduated in 1994. After a sabatical, she went to Bjørkenes private school, and in 1997 she took ex.phil (a mandatory preparation course for university) at Agder regional college. She has later followed lectures at the faculties of political science and history and philosophy at the University of Oslo. She went to The School of Oriental and African Studies in 2002-2003, where she took courses of aid and developement questions.

www.odin.dep.no

www.kongehuset.no

what about British Royals? and more lots of Royals?

Sara Boyce

Prince Phillipe attend the Royal Military Academy, spent 2 months at Trinity College, and got a Master of Arts degree in politics from Stanford.

Princess Mathilde got a diploma with Great Distinction in speech therapy from Institut Libre Marie Haps. She got a degree with Distinction in psychology from the Universite Catholique de Louvain.

Princess Astrid studied art history for a year at Leiden in the Netherlands. She also studied at the Institute of European Studies.

Prince Lorenz earned a degree in economics and social sciences from the University of St. Gallen and Innsbruck.

Prince Laurent studied at the Pius X College, the Royal Cadet College, and the Royal Military School.

Princess Claire studied at Brone & Oldenhove to be a surveyor.

Queen Margrethe passed an examination in Phillosophy at Copenhagen University, earned a degree in Prehistoric Archaeology from the University of Cambridge, studied political science at the University of Aarhaus, and the studied at the Sorbonne, and the London School of Economics.

Crown Prince Frederik studied political science at the University of Aarhaus, and studied political science at Harvard.

Crown Princess Mary earned a degree in Commerce and Law from the University of Tasmania.

Prince Joachim studied agrarian economics at the Classenske Agerbrugskole Nagesgarrd.

Princess Alexandra studied in Vienna, Tokyo, and London.

Her Royal Highness the Princess of Asturias
She holds a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism from the Complutense University of Madrid, as well as a Master Degree in Audiovisual Journalism from the Institute for Studies in Audiovisual Journalism. She started her PhD in Mexico, where she worked at the Siglo 21 newspaper.

http://www.casareal.es/casareal/home2i.html

it doesn't say whether she finished her PhD or not.....sooo

what about Sophie,Countess of Wessex's school?

Sara Boyce

From answers.com

Institut Le Rosey
, established in 1880, is the oldest private boarding school in Switzerland and one of the most exclusive private education institutions in the world.

Some of Le Rosey's students, whose attendance is a matter of public record, are:

Back
Top Bottom