The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2019, 11:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
RTL made an article about the life of Princess Alexandra.
https://today.rtl.lu/life/royals/1291877.html
Quote:
For most of her life, Princess Alexandra was excluded from the line of succession under Luxembourg's former primogeniture law that excluded female descendants from ascending the throne as long as there were other direct male descendants.
This interpretation, which I have seen in other articles, is puzzling. It is akin to writing that "Prince Félix is excluded from the line of succession under Luxembourg's current primogeniture law that excludes younger siblings from ascending the throne as long as there are other older siblings". Following this interpretation, the only person who would not be viewed as "excluded from the line of succession" is the hereditary grand duke.

Prior to the change to the succession law in 2011, Princess Alexandra was, under the semi-Salic primogeniture law, ninth in line to the throne. Currently, Princess Eugenie of York is ninth in line to the British throne, but unlike Alexandra before 2011, Eugenie's position as ninth in line is never equated to being "excluded from the (British) line of succession".

Old 01-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The difference I thought, was that under the old Luxembourg rules Alexandra would only inherit once ALL male heirs couldn't - i.e. not just her brothers but her cousins. The difference with Eugenie is that she gets her place from her father but a younger brother would displace her but, for example, her younger cousin James, Viscount Severn does not whereas if the Luxembourg rules were applied he would. But that is only what I thought.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The difference I thought, was that under the old Luxembourg rules Alexandra would only inherit once ALL male heirs couldn't - i.e. not just her brothers but her cousins. The difference with Eugenie is that she gets her place from her father but a younger brother would displace her but, for example, her younger cousin James, Viscount Severn does not whereas if the Luxembourg rules were applied he would. But that is only what I thought.
Yes, that is the case. The difference is the reason why Alexandra was only ninth in line to the throne in 2010, whereas the (old) British rules would have made her fourth in line. What I find puzzling is that with Alexandra (but not with Eugenie), being ninth in line to the throne is equated to being "excluded from the line of succession".
Old 01-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess it is a matter of perspective. I believe the Nassau pact stipulated the Salic Law. However, in the event of a discontinuation of the monarchy due to that law, the closest heir of the last male would succeed. In the communication regarding the change it was worded as 'exclusion':
Quote:
Les femmes étaient donc exclues de l'ordre de succession, sauf dans l'hypothèse de l'inexistence de tout successeur masculin.2
Apparently, the interpretation of how the non-male line succession was to take place wasn't exactly clear, which is why special decrees were made in 1907 making it clear how it was to be applied regarding his daughters. Which is: male line descendants first for the eldest daughter, than for second daughter, etc.

Because of the above princess Charlotte of Nassau is still considered NOT to be in line of succession. Only in the event of a possible discontinuation of the monarchy, the closest heir in female line will be identified (which could either be a male or female).
Old 01-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

So, if salic law still applied with the provision for semi-salic succession in case of discontinuation, I'm trying to think of who would be the heir. I am not so sure in the cases of Henri, Guillaume and Sebastién: would Alexandra trump Amalia or the other way around? If Felix or Liam was the last male ruler it would surely be Amalia.

If prince Guillaume or one of his sons would have been the last heir it would be Charlotte. In all other cases it would really depend on what the family would look like at that moment: whether it would be Marie-Astrid or her descendants (again in male line only at first; but currently that would only be a solution for one generation, so depending on the provision made they would most likely continu with Margareta's children) or less likely, unless, prince Robert ends up being the last male ruler, his elder sister princess Charlotte (daughter of prince Charles) and her three sons.

Edit: Mods, apologies, we should have taken this discussion to a more appropriate thread. Please feel free to move it.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Royal Highness

As with Alexandra, I think the court's use of the word "excluded" is misleading, but I will move my reply to the Luxembourg Succession & Titles thread.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Grand Ducal Court has released four new photos of Princess Alexandra ahead of her 28th birthday tomorrow

http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/pho..._800_thumb.jpg
Old 02-15-2019, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks photoshop .
When I lived in Luxembourg 30 years ago, I was suprised the picture of my identity card was photoshopped.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

On May 22:
100 Years of Female Democracy
Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra will attend the academic session to be held on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the vote for women in Luxembourg.
http://www.monarchie.lu/fr/agenda/index.html
Old 05-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Princess Alexandra at the academic session marking 100 years of women's voting in Luxembourg today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 05-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Alexandra and members of the Luxembourg Olympic and Sports Committee have arrived in Montenegro as part of the Games of the Small States of Europe, which take place from 27 May to 1 June , 2019.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-JgURg6lq/
Old 05-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Alexandra is supporting Team Luxembourg in Montenegro, having been present at the opening ceremony and watching several of the games today 28 May

https://today.rtl.lu/life/royals/a/1354567.html

Tags
alexandra, princess alexandra, princess alexandra of luxembourg